Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Motown Center gets extension to submit plan « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 924
Posted From: 216.78.40.180
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 9:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Motown Center gets extension to submit plan
By Robert Ankeny
• March 06, 2006

The Detroit Economic Development Corp. last week granted another extension for plans and construction of a Motown Center museum, educational and entertainment complex at Woodward Avenue and the Fisher Freeway.

The two office buildings there that had housed the Motown empire from 1968-72 were demolished before the Super Bowl last month.
That site now is valuable land that needs to be developed and not allowed to sit empty, one EDC board member said last week.

Conrad Mallett voted with the rest of the board to give Motown Center Detroit USA until Nov. 1 to submit site plans and elevation drawings and another eight months, to July 1, 2007, to start construction, but said he has some reservations. Under the new agreement, Motown is to finish construction by Nov. 1, 2008.

“We can only wait so long for the responsible parties to move forward,” said Mallett, president of Sinai-Grace Hospital.

“The day will come, although it hasn’t come yet, when we can’t hold that site in abeyance any longer,” he said, noting that the city had allowed a potential developer to “sit on the Uniroyal site for close to 15 years.”

Tanya Heidelberg-Yopp, Motown Center executive director, did not return calls on Thursday and Friday seeking comment.

Motown Center already had received a 15-month extension from the EDC in August 2004 to develop a museum, educational and entertainment complex at Woodward Avenue and the Fisher Freeway, site of the long-empty Motown office building.

Under that agreement, Motown was to have until March 31, 2005, to get approvals for site plans and elevation drawings. Work was to have started by Dec. 1, 2005, and be completed by April 1, 2007.

Under an Oct. 1, 2001, agreement, the EDC approved a $2.55 million grant and gave adjacent property to Motown. Under the original schedule, work on the project was to have started by Sept. 1, 2004, with completion by Jan. 1, 2006. New York City-based Architecture Research Office and the Rockwell Group and Detroit-based Hamilton Anderson Associates were retained to design the complex.
http://www.crainsdetroit.com/c gi-bin/article.pl?articleId=28 899

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Renderings and Model are on the ARO site.

http://www.aro.net/

Detroit313
Username: Detroit313

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 12.45.2.184
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow The design is awesome. That would really bring the entertaiment district North of the Fisher, but with the grass playground north of the project image if the museam were placed on the river or in the cultural district. DETROIT should really be pushing for that project to go. That museam would be a great addition anywhere in the city.313

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1498
Posted From: 70.227.207.76
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That transparent building sucks. And using prime real estate for a lawn is an awful idea. Keeping the Donovan Building and incorporating it with the new building would have been a great idea.

Hey, what I think doesn't matter. This project, for whatever the reason, probably won't happen. Why is another extention needed? They have the design team and they have the land secured. It's obvious they can't raise the funding to pull this off, which given the renderings, is something that doesn't need to be pulled off.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3277
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've seen the concept, before, and while nice, they could definitely do more with the land to the north. And, while usually an optimist, I really don't think this is going to happen in even the extended time given. I think the city could get much more out of that particular site and location than what the Motown Center has to offer. With direct freeway access, this land would be maximized with an office building or hotel, or both. A Motown Center, IMO, would be better suited for the University Cultural District or near the existing museum.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 875
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for some odd reason, I can't view the model or renderings. if anyone can post them ...it would be appreciated.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 508
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 6:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That design sucks. There is so much more they can do with that land.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2780
Posted From: 69.209.178.186
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 7:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So did the city pay to demo the Donovan and Sanders buildings?

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 64.118.136.130
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 8:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like the design. Albeit very modern. It creates a lot of visual excitment. I have reservations about the site and the use of the space on the lot to the north. I think it would be better situated on the parking lots opposite the Fox Theatre. It would really balance off the Fox and State theatre and add the excitement and walkability of the entertainment district. At the Fisher Freeway location I wonder how the residents of Woodward Place feel about such a development.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 506
Posted From: 194.138.39.56
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 8:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The building is Ok and the MOTOWN sign would look awesome outside me front window... The park is a ridiculous idea and would only cause more problems, in my opinion. That land needs to be used for retail and residential.

Regardless, I do not believe this project will ever happen. If Gordy wanted it, it would have happened already. Let's cut the BS and give the development opportunity to someone else. That vacant property directly affects my property value!

Broken_main

Post Number: 877
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 8:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whenever i click on the Motown Center it keeps bringing up the overview for the US Armed Forces Recruiting Station. I will probably google and try and find them.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 449
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 8:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In other news, the Motown restaurant is set to open next month. Yay, priorities!

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 507
Posted From: 194.138.39.56
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What Motown restaurant?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 904
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

+1 for it sucking.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 450
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This Motown restaurant.
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060306/E NT01/603060377

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 360
Posted From: 69.136.144.196
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 4:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the city can organize and raise the millions for Campus Martius, the Riverwalk with mostly local money. So should the Motown Center a much higher profile project that is really national/international in scope. Yet, I can hardly find any recent articles on their fundraising. There seems to be no real effort in trying to make this thing happen

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3280
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, the group who's pitched the idea seems to be nonchalant about the whole thing, unless I'm missing something.

I have another idea to add. What if they made the Motown Museum as part of the Woodward or Monroe Block redevelopments, or do you all think it would be much better as a stand-alone structure?

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1844
Posted From: 4.229.72.16
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lmichigan, my idea was to use the Tuller/UA block, build a vertical museum on the Tuller portion (like the vertical Guggenheim Museum in NYC), where you start at the top and spiral down the museum. And a restored UA Theatre (can be done, most of the damage is plaster damage), could be the Motown Center for the Performing Arts, with the office block restored for condos.

But your mention of the Monroe Block as a possible alternative sounds good. They could incorporate a restored National Theatre as part of the Motown Center experience.

What good is a Motown Center without an adequate performance facility? And a decent sized NEW performance venue to go along with the Motown Center would be very expensive!

Time and again history in the last 40 years has proven that a restored existing performance venue is much cheaper than building a new one.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3281
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, I hadn't even thought of a performance facility, but that would be a must in a development like this. I can't believe I was thinking so one-dimensional. This MUST be a "living" museum which can produce tangible successes, and to not only be used by visitors, but the community as a whole.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 378
Posted From: 69.221.66.98
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 9:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The reason that Motown will not happen is because....surpise surpise Motown is dead!

Make it a part of a Detroit Entertainment Hall of Fame and you have multiple generations to draw on...big time...

Irish being partial to the J. Geils, Bob Seegar, Alice Cooper, Ted Nugent, Iggy Pop, KISS, etc. , etc. era....my Mom favors Soupy Sales and The Lone Ranger era and my Kid favors the Eminem era.

Dmart
Username: Dmart

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 68.84.183.222
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's not Motown Museuem, but that site needs a real grocery store incorporated into it somehow. It's perfect location, and would help bring more residential downtown.

Or is that site big enough for a new Hockey Arena? Only this time put the building right along Woodward.

Bet the whole site ends up being a strip mall, though.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3282
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Irish Mafia, if Liberace can get his own museum in Vegas, the entire Motown movement can surely get its own museum in Detroit. But, it's great you admitted you're not so partial to Motown. That puts everything into context.

Broken_main

Post Number: 887
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand how much Motown means to this city. While I admire the thought of a Motown Center, I think a hall of fame featuring all genres of Music, entertainment and possibly sports would be better.

While we all know that the Motown name would be a draw to some, I think showcasing all of Detroits famous people would provide for an even greater regional draw.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3283
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 3:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But, who says their can't be a Detroit Museum of Music, as well? There are countless niche museums in this country dedicated to certain genres, certain styles of art. I don't see why their couldn't be both a successful Motown Center, and a Detroit Museum of Music, which could include a small Motown exhibit, as well. Couple all of this with the uniqueness of Motown (i.e. an entire genre of music or a particular sound being able to become synonymous with a music label), and I don't understand why Motown is not deserving of its own museum.

Broken_main

Post Number: 893
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 8:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YES!!! Lmichigan...I was thinking the same thing as I wrote my previous post. What you are talking about is perfect. a Campus dedicated to the Musical arts and such. Trust me, I am a fan of Motown, but I think that a museum would need more than itself around it to be a profitable regional entity.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3287
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I think you misunderstand me slightly. I have no doubt in my mind that a Motown Center could be profitable and successful in-and-of itself without being part of a Detroit Museum of Music, though I think it would be just as nice to have a campus.

It would be great to see a Detroit Museum of Music built on the lot north, where the park is planned in the current concept. Maybe someone should pitch the idea to the Motown Center people.

I imagine this being just as popular as Cleveland's Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum, or Seattle's Music Museum.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1845
Posted From: 4.229.105.119
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 7:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If Motown is dead, then classical music must be dead as well. Just don't tell all those folks who still listen to it, and go to concerts and continue to buy the music. Keep it hush-hush, maybe the masses won't notice!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.