Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Discount retail chain plans stores in Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 920
Posted From: 216.78.40.48
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Discount retail chain plans stores in Detroit

Forman Mills store to open this month, will carry DKNY, Hilfiger, Calvin Klein and more.

Tenisha Mercer / The Detroit News
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060305/B IZ/603050341/1001

(Message edited by DetroitMan on March 05, 2006)

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 542
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well that is very good news!!! I wonder where the other 3 locations will be. Anyone know? wonder if any will be near downtown

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 845
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that this is some great news..especially since I'm "shopping Detroit"...hehehehe

Easydoesit
Username: Easydoesit

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 69.246.122.172
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 6:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hell yes! finnaly some BRAND NAME shopping stores will appear in Detroit, instead of in an already majority brand name shopping city such as Ann Arbor, Novi, Troy, etc... I am in agreement with you Motorcitymayor2026, I wonder/hope they do set up the other 3 shops downtown. ...(just my 2 cents)...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6900
Posted From: 66.19.16.165
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Moe importatnly - they will be bringing jobs.

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 543
Posted From: 12.148.245.194
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hear that

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1229
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 7:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder where the locations other than the 8-mile shopping ctr. one will be.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 486
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 7:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great news.

later - naturalsister

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 8:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't wait until we get a Crate & Barrel. Love that store..

Odessa
Username: Odessa

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 67.38.8.151
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 9:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

God help the loss prevention department in the the new Forman Mills store, the citizens will steal them blind. Thats the main reason that Target closed up shop in that shopping center.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"the citizens?"

harsh generality

Broken_main

Post Number: 876
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 4:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Odessa, I worked next door to that mall, in the Water treatment Plant. A close friend of mines was a manager at that Target. The employess stealing was the main reason that store closed. It was terrible...I think they said there was over 20 thousand dollars a week/month in theft at that store. Pathetic, I must say.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2384
Posted From: 70.141.76.131
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to disagree with you Broken_main. A friend of mine was an asst manager of the Toys R Us that also closed in that strip. He said the theft rate by "customers" was 4 and 5 times that of their suburban locations. He said that a manager friend of his over at Target experienced the same thing. Agreeing with Odessa, although the term "citizens" was harsh.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2112
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 3:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metro - Now who is stretching the truth - you have friends hahaha.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2386
Posted From: 70.141.76.131
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe this store will bring a location to your area "Ilovedetroit"...you know Ferndale

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6906
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell - Can we start a Metro - ILD superthread and have this stuff moved there?

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 403
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, things haven't changed since Hudson's closed the Downtown flagship store in the early 1980's, citing abnormally large theft costs as one reason.

Are Detroiters more prone to shoplifting and theft than people in other communities?

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3282
Posted From: 65.222.10.3
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not really Detroit in general, just low-income areas. Higher theft rates have been seen at Universal mall, Eastland Mall, and Northland. Some folks are more desperate than others…..yeah, black and white.

Krapug
Username: Krapug

Post Number: 33
Posted From: 24.191.56.146
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would hardly call Forman Mills something to celebrate.

Their stores bring the term "trashy" to a whole new level. Frankly a vacant store front would be better. As an exmaple in Philly they have stores only in borderline (being kind) areas (of all races), and the surplus stock that they sell is one level from being given away. They are not in the some vein as TJ Maxx, Marshalls and the like.

as for jobs, we are talking bottom rung retail jobs.

This is not a store I would welcome. AJ Wright stores at least are clean and organized.

Ken

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 628
Posted From: 24.192.148.148
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 6:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was wondering the real truth behind this store, thanks Krapug. I have been into TJ Maxx and Marshalls before and thought they were junk stores and was thinking that this one wasn't too much different. Basically stuff that people didn't buy when it was out on store shelves a few months prior. Out of style clothes and the name brand stuff was rare to find anyway.

Apparently the workers in this area of town create their own fringe benefits.

Odessa
Username: Odessa

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.73.14.189
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think "citizens" was proper, given the fact that suburbanites already have a plethora of shopping choices, the citizens of Detroit don't, I just can't see that many non-Detroiters visiting a Forman Mills store. Now all we need is Mr. Alans to open up too.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 539
Posted From: 24.193.39.60
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 6:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I would hardly call Forman Mills something to celebrate....Frankly a vacant store front would be better."
Yeah! That's the spirit! Let's just push out every store that wants to set up shop in the D, simply because they sell less-stylish goods than suburban malls. The more cobwebs in Detroit's vacant storefronts the better, right?...

Sure, they carry crap clothing, but it's not much worse than what I've seen in some stores at outlet malls. Haven't been to many outlets, but Great Lakes Crossing, and Woodbury Common (NY), despite carrying second-hand products similar to those of Forman Mills', are almost always packed with shoppers.

Forman Mills has achieved a modest level of success on the simple notion that "it's all about the label". There are many who will buy a DKNY-reject garment over a better no-name, simply because of the designer label. Sad, but true.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9927
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 7:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The news reported on sunday that these 4 stores will create 1,000 jobs.

Broken_main

Post Number: 892
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 7:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Metrodetguy...I was only going by what was told to me. I really don't know who stole all of the goods. Remember that that very Target was also hit big right before the decided to close and the determined that it was an inside job. I will try and pull up that article sometime today.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1240
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly, Crash_nyc. I don't know how a vacant storefront, which would not be getting us any tax revenue, would be better. Should we push out all those trashy dollar stores, too?

Even if it is as low-buck as it seems, why do you think they go after urban underclass markets? All this is is an example of low-buck store meeting low-buck clientele, and if it's too trashy for ya, don't go there.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 404
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Apropos to the discussion of whether any business at all is preferable to an empty storefront: I remember how excited we all were in my neighborhood when the first Arbor Drugs opened on Vernor near Springwells. It was such a happy day. It felt like we were in suburbia.

But then another opened and another. They were big white boxes that attracted graffiti. The easements were filthy with trash. The Rite-Aid had made an agreement with the neighborhood that they would landscape, but they put in little tiny evergreen shrubs that promptly turned brown, died and remained in place among the red cinders for years. The Rite Aid stayed open all night, selling liquor and it attracted a lot of prostitutes and trouble.

There are two left. I have to say that they exhibit little or no brand pride. You have to run a gauntlet of beggers to enter or leave. The store at Springwells has a filthy parking lot (how expensive would it be for a big corporation like that to require that the store owners power wash their lots monthly?). The jobs, such as they are, must not be too attractive because they run through people (excepting the pharmacy staff) pretty rapidly.

So, are we better off with those stores or without them? I'd say, just meagerly better off. I miss the old pharmacies with their special smells and stock - but I know they are gone forever.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2392
Posted From: 70.237.11.149
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken Main, likewise, I was repeating what my friend told me. He is a credible guy which is why I don't doubt the accuracy of his stories about the conditions at the Bel Air Center. He mentioned that some of the thieves were so bold that they would literally steal from Toys R Us then head over to Target and do the same thing, or vice versa. He said that the two stores were often on the phone with each other right after an incident because of that type of pattern.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.