Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » WSU/Midtown Crime watch for February « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 623
Posted From: 24.192.148.148
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the latest email I recieved from WSU today about crime in the midtown/WSU area. Alot of details about some armed robberies. Sorry about the length, but it's very detailed information about he crime occuring in these areas.

FORCIBLE SEX OFFENSES: As reported in the last issue of CAMPUSWATCH, two forcible sex offenses (forcible fondling) were reported during February 2006.
The first incident occurred on February 13, 2006 when a 24 year old female WSU student reported she had just exited the Cass doors of Old Main, at approx. 7:25pm when she observed an unknown male subject standing outside the building, just south of the main entrance doors. As the student walked past, the subject forcibly fondled her. The victim then ran to the Cass Cafe where she called WSUPD. A search of the area failed to locate the subject.
The second incident occurred on February 14th 2006, when a 19 year old female WSU student reported she was forcibly fondled, at approx. 10:50am, by an unknown male subject who was standing in the first floor hallway of State Hall. The subject was spotted by responding WSUPD Officers who caught and arrested him after a four block foot chase. The investigation results were submitted to the Wayne County Prosecutors Office who has formally charged the below subject in connection with the incident of February 14th.

The subject is identified as:

Tommie Lee Houston Black Male, 28 years of age 5'11", 155 pounds
Medium complexion and medium build with a slight beard. Non-WSU.

The Complainant from a January 28, 2006 fondling incident contacted WSUPD Investigators and positively identified Tommie Lee Houston as the subject who forcibly fondled her, on January 28, 2006, inside State Hall. With this latest identification, WSUPD Investigators are confident that Houston is responsible for all three recent fondling incidents. No other incidents have occurred since Houston's arrest on 2-14-06.

ROBBERY (Attempted Purse Snatch): On February 15th, a 19 year old female student reported that one week earlier (Feb. 7th at 9:25am) she was walking on the sidewalk in front of The Towers (671 W. Kirby) when she was approached by an apparent homeless person who asked her for money. The student declined and started to walk away. The person then grabbed the students purse strap and pulled hard. The student retained control of her purse and punched the subject in the face. The student then ran. She was not injured and no property was lost.

See Item # 3 below: Crime Alert - Near Campus Robberies

BURGLARY: A total of 10 incidents of burglary, attempted burglary or entry without force, were reported during February 2006. The campus buildings involved were: Engineering Tech Building, Faculty/Administration Building, DeRoy Apartment Building, The Towers (2 incidents), University Tower Apartment Building (2 incidents) South residence Hall (2 incidents) and Prentis Building.

LARCENY: A total of 55 incidents of Larceny (theft of unattended property) were reported during February 2006. Of those, 38 occurred in 20 different campus buildings. Building with the highest rate of larceny, during February 2006, were: Matthaei and Old Main with 6 incidents each, followed by the Student Center Building, Fitness Center and Undergraduate Library with 3 incidents each.

VEHICLE THEFT: Four vehicles were reported stolen from WSU Parking Facilities during February 2006. The first was reported on February 3rd when a 2005 Dodge Durango was taken from Lot 72 (rear of University Towers). The second incident occurred on Feb. 6th when a 1993 Chrysler Town & County mini van was stolen from the front of 4855 Fourth. The third incident involved a 1989 Buick LeSabre taken from Lot 72 (rear of University Towers between Feb. 12th and Feb 18th. The fourth incident occurred on February 27th when a 1996 Chrysler Cirrus 4 door was taken from Parking Structure #1 (Cass and W. Palmer).

Near campus vehicle thefts, reported to WSUPD, during February were:

Feb 2nd S/B Lodge SD north of Warren 1996 Jeep 2 dr
Feb 2nd 900 W. Forest (parking lot) 1990 Plymouth Acclaim 4 dr
Feb 8th S/B Lodge SD at Ford SD 1984 Chevrolet Caprice 4 dr
Feb 21st Second at W. Hancock 2000 Jeep Cherokee
Feb 22nd Second at Prentis 2005 GMC Sierra Quad-Cab PU
Feb 22nd Second at Antoinette 2004 Jeep Liberty 4 dr
Feb 23rd W. Hancock at Cass 1998 Chevrolet Malibu 4 dr
Feb 24th 4145 Woodward (arrest & recovery)1998 Mercury Grand Marquis

3) Crime Alert - Near Campus Armed Robberies

A number of Armed Robberies have been occurring in the neighborhoods south of the main campus. The following information is provided to alert both WSU students, staff and faculty, as well as area residents to these crimes so that they may taken additional precautions in the area. These crimes are as follows:

Feb 4th - 8:40pm Armed Robbery - Prentis between Second and Third.
Perps described as two black males, 17-23 years of age,
one wearing a black hat & black jacket. The second was
wearing a light colored jacket and armed with a nickel
plated revolver.

Feb 4th - 8:45pm Armed Robbery - Second north of Forest. Perps described
as six black males, unknown ages, all wearing dark
clothing, armed with an unknown weapon.

Feb 4th - 8:50pm Armed Robbery - Prentis east of Third. Perps described
as four black males between 17 and 23 years of age,
three were wearing all black clothing, one wearing a
beige jacket and armed with a nickel plated revolver.

In all three of the above incidents, the victims were quickly confronted on the street/sidewalk. Perpetrators made statements, "Get on the ground...", etc. After the robberies, the wanted subjects were seen heading westbound in the general direction of the Calumet Townhouses (west side of Third between Prentis and Canfield).

Feb 7th - 2:15am Robbery Not Armed - Second and Prentis in "Marcus Foods"
parking lot. Lone perpetrator described as a black
male, late 20's, neatly trimmed mustache and goatee,
wearing a light brown jacket with a dark colored
"etching" or pattern. Last seem westbound on Prentis.
Subject approached victim and engages in small talk. The
victim attempts to enter her car. Subject punched victim
several times in the face and stole her purse.

Feb 9th - 8:00pm Armed Robbery - Second and Prentis. Perpetrator
described as a black male, 40 years of age, 6'2", 220
pounds, "lazy" right eye, buzz hair cut, full beard and
mustache. Victim was jumped on. Subject produced a
knife, cut the purse strap and took victims purse.

Feb 12th - 7:45pm Attempted Armed Robbery, East side of 491 W. Hancock.
Lone perpetrator described as a black male, 30's, 5'9",
black knit cap, dark complexion, possible facial hair,
wearing an olive green 3/4 length coat with pockets in
the chest area and dark pants. Victim confronted by
subject who stated he was armed and demanded her purse
and cell phone. Victim had neither. Subject asked
victim is she was a student. Victim replied, "yes" and
subject let her go unharmed. No property taken.

Feb 19th - 2:20am Armed Robbery - E. Willis and John R. Two subjects who
were described as black males, unknown ages, "average
build and height", one subject wearing a red hat and
jacket, #2 subject wearing a brown coat and armed with
a chrome plated semi-automatic handgun.
Four victim occupants of a stalled vehicle were trying
to jump start their car. They were approached by above
two subjects who produced a handgun and demanded money.
Subjects obtained money, ID and cell phones from all
four victims.

Feb 24th - 8:45pm Armed Robbery - vestibule of 633 Prentis. Two subjects:
#1: black male, 20-24 years of age, 6'0" 180 to 190
pounds, thin mustache, eye glasses, round face with
big lips, wearing: big "poofy" black hooded jacket
with fur around the hood.
#2: black male, 20-24 years of age, 180-190 pounds,
light skinned, wearing a red baseball cap on back-
wards, baggy blue jeans, long black leather coat
with red hooded sweatshirt worn underneath. Armed
with a blue steel automatic handgun.
Victim walking on Second Avenue near Prentis when he
sees above subjects (also walking) change direction and
follow him. Victim attempted to find refuge inside the
vestibule of the apartment building. Subjects confronted
victim in the vestibule. One subject produced a weapon
while the other went through the victims pockets and
took valuables. Subjects fled on foot eastbound on
Prentis towards Second.

Feb 27th - 12:30am Armed Robbery - On street across from 4251 Cass (WSU
Pike House). Lone perpetrator described as a black male
in his 30's, 5'9", clean shaven, medium brown
complexion, wearing a black shiny winter jacket with
hood, dark colored pants and shoes. Armed with a black
handgun. Subject confronted victims on street and
pointed weapon at them, asked for "everything you
have". Victims give up valuables and subject flees
southbound on Cass towards Willis.

NOTE: Persons walking in or frequenting the above areas south of the WSU Campus should use extreme caution in these areas after dark. Be aware of all persons in your vicinity and their actions.

If you observe any suspicious persons or activity, you should call the Wayne State University Police immediately at 313-577-2222.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 291
Posted From: 69.209.191.39
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got that too, always a good read.

Really though, 2nd/Prentis seems like the place to hang out at night.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6875
Posted From: 205.158.96.222
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if DPD is setting up any stings in the 2nd/prentis area. Sounds like a trend and it may be the same suspects in multiple instances.

Adamjab19

Post Number: 624
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My buddy drove through a sting somewhere along Forest, I believe, near the freeway last Saturday night.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 69.246.43.231
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the hell is going on in the 2nd & Prentis area? I walk by there multiple times a day.

Adamjab19

Post Number: 625
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 12:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 4 just did a report on it. Didn't think it was such news...

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 595
Posted From: 70.233.4.107
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 12:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i use to live at second and prentis, suprise wonder why i moved????

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 795
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 12:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DPD needs to get there ass down there and start locking people up.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 245
Posted From: 4.229.60.94
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 2:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I haven't been near 2nd and Prentis in awhile, but I have noticed an increase in panhandlers in the WSU area.

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 2:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's only a few blocks from 13th precint. I've never understood why so much goes down so close to precints in Detroit. Alexandrine east of Woodward might as well be a used car lot for thieves.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 503
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Doesn't take Sherlock Holmes to figure out where the DPD needs to set up to reduce crime, these summaries usually give some clues like the 2nd Prentis thing, I wonder if anything is ever done.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3767
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's the Cass Corridor for you. Robberies and shootings are a every day thing in the ghettos of Detroit. The Ghettoman told all of our street prophets members to use any of your self defense and spritual skills when dealing with preps.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 898
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

no kidding steelworker. after reading all that I feel somewhat fortunate not having been a victim the 4+ years I lived there. I can't say that I miss all the shady foot traffic around there

liquor store triangle-atcha (university, tom boy, and parker/marcus markets)

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 03, 2006)

Mbr

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 152.160.42.163
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should get rid of the payphone at the marcus market.

Jt1

Post Number: 6882
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder if some of this is shifting people from the lower Cass area. The area from Temple to 75, specifically along Henry seems to have seen a hug reduction in shady characters.

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 432
Posted From: 136.2.1.101
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They are slowly but surely "hitting eight mile."
At this rate they should reach their destination in 50 or 60 years.

Detroitnerd
Username: Detroitnerd

Post Number: 555
Posted From: 209.69.221.253
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 11:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

On the subject of Prentis between Second and Third: On one side end of the street is Second, with Forest Arms, ABC building, etc., all with a certain amount of students living there. These people have money and few street skills. On the Third Avenue end of the street is the Beethoven, with a pretty tough mix of tenants. These are poorly socialized people without money. In between these two kinds of people, you'll always have a certain amount of trouble. I would never walk down Prentis at night for this reason. It's poorly lit, and often deserted. Instead, I'd always take the alley behind Prentis and Forest when going down to Third.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 899
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

one morning, maybe a week before I moved, I was leaving for work and saw someone drop off a pretty haggard looking prostitute at the beethoven....good times, good times.

prentis is poorly lit on the 3rd street end, even more so in the summer with all the tree leaves blocking the light, but either renaissance or the city put up some stadium lighting at the other end of that block, and that did little to prevent the vestibule robbery at 633.

(Message edited by gravitymachine on March 03, 2006)

Steelworker

Post Number: 596
Posted From: 68.79.120.17
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too much crime for me I moved as many of you have known. I do miss my neighbors they are wonderful. I wonder about the new building and tenents who are going to eventurally live at 3rd and canfield area. Lights lights lights can help. I had to walk down prentis all the time late at night from work, scary.

Mbr

Post Number: 39
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd: "...all with a certain amount of students living there. These people have money and few street skills."

What kind of skills do you need when six guys come up to you and force you to the ground with a gun? Nunchuck skills? Bowhunting skills? Computer hacking skills?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 556
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mbr: Admittedly, street skills is a sort of vague phrase. No, I don't mean some kind of kung-fu or weaponry. I mean the skill of knowing a dodgy place when you see it. Not lit, plenty of stuff to hide behind, etc. When you live in the city for a while (and, when you've already had some bad stuff happen to you), you can develop a kind of spider-sense and better learn to avoid trouble.

Thanks for the bowhunting crack, though! That got me laughing. I bet people *would* leave you alone if you had a big ol' loaded crossbow on Prentis.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 738
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mbr - if one had the type of skills you describe they probably wouldn't need to worry because they would already be in a buttload of gangs.

Barebain
Username: Barebain

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 66.208.220.242
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 3:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mbr,
perhaps if you drew them a picture or baked them a cake they would leave you alone.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 286
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

What kind of skills do you need when six guys come up to you and force you to the ground with a gun? Nunchuck skills? Bowhunting skills? Computer hacking skills?

At that point a hand grenade pin in your teeth might work. :-)

Mbr

Post Number: 40
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 4:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroitnerd, good points. I don't know the personal circumstances of any of these robberies but it does seem like many of these occurred around 8pm, about the time when people are walking back from their late classes. 2nd is mostly well lit and has a lot of foot traffic which is why it seems so unusual.

Jfried

Post Number: 739
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know it's not listed on the crime report, but the biggest problem on prentise is some dude named uncle rico who consistently runs around ruining everyones lives and eating all their steak.

Jt1

Post Number: 6895
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was walking down the street at Woodward and Palmer and got hit in the head with a football. I wonder if that was Uncle Rico. Do you thiink he could have thrown it that far?

Jfried

Post Number: 740
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably. back in 82, he used to be able to throw a pigskin a quarter mile. if coach would have put him in the 4th quarter we would have won state. I know it.

Mbr

Post Number: 41
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm gonna start taking Rex Kwan Do classes...BOW TO YOUR SENSEI...that'll make the streets safer. If that doesn't work we can always hire Kazaam the genie to fight the gangs.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 69.208.32.222
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 5:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I got hit by a bus at 2nd and Prentis....
that place has bad vibes written all over it.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 557
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funky, were you the chick in the blue truck? That looked BAD.

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 186
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 5:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Purple.

Yes. I'm a ninja though and I walked away unharmed besides bruises and extreme soreness.

Did you see the pictures here, or are you the first person I've found that was there?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 558
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had just come home from work and saw the aftermath, after the ambulance had gone. Talked to a few gawkers and heard what had happened. Glad to confirm you got out OK. As for your vehicle ... wow!

Funkycarrie

Post Number: 187
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

everyone stood on the street with their jaws on the ground when I started moving around on the inside, the fact that I didn't see the bus and I didn't tense up is probably what saved me. All I was doing was parking!!

I had that truck for 8 years, I was upset about my truck getting demolished more than anything. When I went to go take pictures at the junk yard the following Monday, all the guys at the yard were like "YOU WERE DRIVING?! We thought that was a fatal"

My buddy's shop is right there on 2nd, and I watched a bus fly down the street last summer trucking at 40+....scared the living shit out of me. I still can't believe I'm alive.

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 559
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, those Second Avenue buses really book. Sorry about your truck, but at least it took most of the damage for you!

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 929
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 4:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They should publish similar stats by neighborhood/precinct for the whole city. Then maybe we could hold the city/police accountable and be able to gauge progress.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 272
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's worse than the armed robberies are the sex offenses that occured on campus. Four different women were forcibly fondled by the same guy during Jan and Feb, and who knows how many other women were assaulted that never even reported it. Crime in the libraries was getting so bad that they had to post guards at the doors to do ID checks after dark.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 84.83.110.81
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My girfriend forwards me the Troy crime reports. I love them. It takes a good 20-30 min. to read them. I would love to get the WSU crime stats, Where and how would I get them, I understand that they are sent out to students, which I am not, I just live here.

I'll tell you on thing, if I run into one of these mutherfuckers, after I get up off the ground, I'm coming up blasting....I'll shoot'em in the back as he runs if I have to.

Adamjab19

Post Number: 629
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 7:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here are some WSU crime statistic summary for 2000-2004. Not sure when 2005 will come out, but probablly more of the same...When I was getting the 2005 ones they compare current to last years and there weren't too many different numbers.

http://www.police.wayne.edu/cr imestats2004.html

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9929
Posted From: 64.118.137.226
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 11:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

/quote{I'll tell you on thing, if I run into one of these mutherfuckers, after I get up off the ground, I'm coming up blasting....I'll shoot'em in the back as he runs if I have to.}

Good way to land you in prison for awhile.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 296
Posted From: 141.217.173.216
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bagman, you seem pretty cool, shooting people and everything

I don't know if you can sign up for these emails if you're not a student, but I know there are few WSU students on here, myself included, who have no problem posting them when we get them.

Jt1

Post Number: 6914
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I doubt bagman is trying to be cool. I am guessing that he is speaking out of frsutration of the situation. We have a lot of people trying to improve the area and we have a bunch of punks, junkies, assholes, etc that are hurting people and the areas revival.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 281
Posted From: 65.215.68.210
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fight FIRE with FIRE!

I welcome an empowered, intimidating Police force. We need about 800 more cops. Smash crime with brute force. A no tolerance approach is a good way to start.

Citizens also need to fight back within the full extent of the law. Call the police. Write letters. Attend neighborhood meetings.

Can any of the more senior memebers of this forum describe to me why STRESS was bad? Just curious. I mean, who was it bad for? Criminals? Sounds like a good thing. I would gladly take the speeding/jay-walking/parking tickets to myself, if I knew the Police were out Kicking *ss.

Anyone else?

Detroitnerd

Post Number: 560
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the problem with STRESS was that power corrupts. Give an elite unit more power and they become more corrupt. I don't think anybody would argue that a more corrupt police unit would be more effective at fighting crime. That's essentially what happened with STRESS.

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 390
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too bad we don't have a Batman, that would be a good place for him to get started.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 338
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jackson has one:
http://www.captainjackson.org/ captainjackson/
:-)

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 391
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That website is right out of 1999. ;)

Mbr

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 69.246.43.231
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 12:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Who needs batman when you have bagman

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 324
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jt1 said ( I wonder if some of this is shifting people from the lower Cass area. The area from Temple to 75, specifically along Henry seems to have seen a hug reduction in shady characters.)
I`ve noticed a few thing about lower cass the last few months first a ton of strret drug busts and the tearing down of that building at henry and cass which seemed to always have a lot of shady people around it http://www.detroitblog.org/ind ex.php?paged=5
and the tearing down of the donovan sanders building which had a lot of street people living in them and the police really cleaned up around superbowl time

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8206
Posted From: 70.53.99.72
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J-stone. CAY did it in the '70s when he battled the various gangs in Detroit. The DPD kicked their asses out for decades. Sadly they are now seeing a resurgence.

Stoopidgerl
Username: Stoopidgerl

Post Number: 8
Posted From: 69.215.254.184
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My boyfriend's car will be in the crime report for March. Stolen from a gas station at night.

Stoopidgerl
Username: Stoopidgerl

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 69.215.254.184
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Needless to say... I am leaving the city at the end of this month. After all this...
and my apartment at the Belcrest was burlgarized last April while I was taking a shower on a Saturday afternoon. I'm just sick of this place.

Gravitymachine

Post Number: 931
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

forest and woodward mobil?

Steelworker

Post Number: 608
Posted From: 68.249.240.213
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 2:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ive had two cars stolen. and bikes.

Jt1

Post Number: 7010
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

SG -Did you consider other areas before choosing to leave the city?

I always wonder why it is one location or nothing for those that had trouble. I know people in RO that got robbed and had other incidents. They moved to another part of RO. Why is Detroit an all or nothing based upon one location?

I am not criticizing your move as I have not had the issues that you have had but I'm just curious.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 300
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm guessing she is fed up with more then just the few negative things she's mentioned. It's easy to get fed up at some point with almost everything in this city and just say F-it all.

Jt1

Post Number: 7012
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could very well be the case. It just seems that people see where they live as representative of the entire city (and it may) moreso in Detroit than other cities/counties.

Chub
Username: Chub

Post Number: 301
Posted From: 69.246.28.200
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, let me just put it this way...He or she may know that moving to a deluxe loft downtown or in the middle of Indian Village in some mansion may give them a much nicer view of life in the city, but it's all beside the point, because at this point in that persons life, it's not possible financially. And so the only choice is to give it a try in another city.
I don't know, it's just a thought. Not saying this kind of thinking is right or wrong.

Eastsidedog
Username: Eastsidedog

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 12.47.224.7
Posted on Thursday, March 16, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the biggest reason folks leave in the end is financial. Some just can't work the system to make the city financially viable for them. I think most who leave have been thinking about it a long time. If you now how to work it, you can do get some things in the city cheaper (water, housing, and taxes in some cases).

If you want to really discourage burgulary get a a big mean dog (like my 95 lb. bullmastiff) and if you don't want you car stolen get a kill switch and car alarm. If your not willing to take serious anti-crime precautions then you probably shouldn't be living in any major city IMO.

Chitaku
Username: Chitaku

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 68.43.107.72
Posted on Friday, March 31, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Friends of mine were robbed at gunpoint on Warren by Trumbull last night.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.