Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit Zoo Will Stay Open « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 999
Posted From: 68.255.233.113
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.clickondetroit.com/ news/7589458/detail.html

quote:

After hours of debate, the Detroit City Council voted 6-3 Wednesday to keep the Detroit Zoo open.

Under the agreement, the Detroit Zoo will be transferred over to the Detroit Zoological Society, and council members say the mayor's appearance may have made a difference.

"I suggested the mayor to come up and sell this issue, and I think that definitely helped," said City Council President Ken Cockrell, Jr.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 1000
Posted From: 68.255.233.113
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Channel 4 reports that Barbara-Rose Collins, Joann Watson and Brenda Jones were the 3 votes against.

Thecarl
Username: Thecarl

Post Number: 663
Posted From: 69.14.30.175
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Channel 4 reports that Barbara-Rose Collins, Joann Watson and Brenda Jones were the 3 votes against.

i'm guessing that under the new contract (budget), some friends of the councilpersons mentioned may no longer be getting a slice of the pie.

this detroit-versus-suburbs thing is a subterfuge. the mayor and city council have been taking advantage of a downtrodden city, and manipulating the electorate so that whatever gains the city might have made, have been steered into the pockets of the elected, and their friends, and their family.

this method of operation has become too formulaic. detroit's leadership influences its constituents by suggesting that the suburbanites (whites) wish to rob detroit of its jewels (wealth). in fact, detroiters are robbed by its administration, while those who would love to see the resurgence of the city are left at bay.

who's zoomin' who?

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3270
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 2:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I completely agree with Ken Cockrel, Jr. It's time for the mayor to shop this idea around to metro Detroit leadership, and the private sector if the metro public sector refuses to take up this burden.

This is far from over.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 410
Posted From: 172.130.192.220
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 2:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City Council held a public hearing on Wednesday just prior to voting on the Zoo deal. I have seen numerous public hearings held in a many different cities, including Detroit, involving a variety of issues. These kinds of proceedings are often raucous, emotional and, of course, long-winded.

Nonetheless, I was astonished by the level of anger, hatred and racism expressed by many of the speakers. These speakers opposed the transfer of the zoo operations but most of them had no familiarity with the details of what was being proposed. Their opposition arose only out of the belief that the zoo somehow belonged only to Detroit and that the deal was a giveaway to white suburbanites. Many seemed to be plainly ignorant of the fact that it costs the city money out of the general fund to run the zoo. A couple of folks even expressed the belief that the zoo was a "moneymaker" that was being "given" away. It was clear that many of the speakers couldn't care less about the details of the zoo's financial problems or its importance to the city and the region, rather, they needed an excuse to sound off about Detroiters being disrespected. Far too many of the comments of the speakers at the hearing used the opportunity to voice shameful and self absorbed viewpoints. I'm grateful that the City Council was not swayed by the race baiting.

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 110
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 3:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that's what I'm talking about!!!!! Thanks to ALL of us, we save a gem of our city from going down to drain!!!! Screw you Barbara-Rose Collins, Joann Watson and Brenda Jones!!! Now it's over it,I'm planning to pay a visit at the zoo when the weather gets warm......but the budget cuts war is far from over.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5622
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 8:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FYI, I drove by the Zoo this morning and was surprised to see that Kwame Kilpatrick's name is still on the watertower. I was sure that Brooks would have clambered up and painted over it by now.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 760
Posted From: 69.14.179.212
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 9:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jeff, did you see the exhibit on inflatable rats by any chance?

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1139
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 9:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know you're joking ItsJeff, but I heard Detroit Zoological Society Board Chair Gail Warden this morning on WDET talking (very slowly...) about the zoo, and he said as long as the city retains ownership the mayor's name will remain on the tower.

Gildas
Username: Gildas

Post Number: 457
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forget stopping by, JOIN THE ZOO and show some real support.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5623
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was joking, but - this being metro Detroit - I'm sure this will be a hot topic if regional funding is ever proposed. For a lot of people, the refusal to take the Mayor's name off the watertower will be a deal breaker.

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1140
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 9:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very petty, but probably true.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2105
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

His name is staying on the tower itsjeff...I heard that on NPR this morning from the Zoological President.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5625
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. I'm just predicting that if the issue of regional funding comes up, a lot of people will insist that the name come down.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 791
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is still a hinge on this plan, the $4 million from the state that was lost when CC turned down the first proposal. Our state legislature is not so ready to relegislate the deal to give the zoo the money. The westsiders are all saying we screwed up and blew our chance. The $4 million is not a given anymore, so that money still has to come from somewhere, Channel 4 & 7 can't raise $4 million outside the zoo from individuals.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1833
Posted From: 24.98.116.13
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is no reason now, or ever, to take the Mayor's name off. It's almost tradition, and if the name stays 'The Detroit Zoo', then the Mayor's name almost has to stay up there for the mere fact that it truly belongs there. Detroit will always define the region.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 792
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's continue this tradition and next to the Thinker outside the DIA, we can put a statue of the mayor in the same pose, or just put his/her name on the side of the building.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8161
Posted From: 70.53.96.227
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Or a staute of KK with a spotlight for his earring shining for all to see while money looks like it is falling out of his pockets...that would work.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6853
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what capital improvements in the city will be delayed due to the $10 MM one time payment.

I am glad the city will no longer be eating 5-6MM per year but the people bitching about the city don't seem to recognize that we are handing over $10 MM that we could desperately use to upgrade streets, lights, sewers, sidewalks, etc.

Glad it is one less operational burden but it's funny that those bitching about the city don't even talk about this little gift from the city and the city tax payers.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 69.14.26.135
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That 1928 water tower was saved from being demolished by Mayor Young. The Mayor overrode the recommendations of the Detroit Zoo Commission saying it was a historic landmark and directional guide for the Zoo. It was last used for water storage in 1985. During the I-696 construction, it was turned over to the Zoo. They painted it and added the Mayor's name some time thereafter.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 736
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 12:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

------------------------------ --------------------
Glad it is one less operational burden but it's funny that those bitching about the city don't even talk about this little gift from the city and the city tax payers.
------------------------------ --------------------
jt1 - how is it a gift? the city still owns the infrastructure.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1863
Posted From: 69.47.101.255
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regarding the mayor's name on the Zoo tower--WHY???

I say that it should be stricken from there. And not wanting to bring politics into it but think about the cost it takes everytime we elect a new mayor we have to send a crew up there to remove it and replace it with their moniker.

I felt the same way about how the Secretary of State gets their name plastered all of their offices and then when they move on, we the taxpayers have to incur the costs of replacing all of them- whether it's just in removing them or to update them with another name.

The Zoo tower does not need Kwame's, LBP's or anyone else's name on it.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 607
Posted From: 136.182.2.221
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess I wont be purchasing a white rhino this spring. :-(

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3509
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 1:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For those that DON'T KNOW .... the Mayor still runs the Zoo and appoints the Zoo Director ... the Society reports to the Mayor by way of Zoo Director!! & the Commisssion is still an ADVISORY, noy decision making body!! Read the City Charter, which wasn't amended in this process.

Black-atcha ..... roflmbao, as white folk cough up the dough, thinking they done took something!!

Jt1

Post Number: 6858
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

JFried - It depends upon what the money is used for. If it is for anything beyond road/sewer/lighting it is a waste as far as I'm concerned.

If the DZS wants to upgrade the displays, animal homes than should be on them to do the fundraising.

Bottom line is that the city needs many capital improvements in the city and that money could be well used in the city itself, not at the Zoo.

Most of the people bitching now have gone silent and are not acknowledging that the city, not the DZS, not the State, not the suburbs are stepping up with city dollars to support infrastructure improvements.

I can't wait to hear the bitching when the DZS raises the rates a few dollars a person and hear how 'outraged' people are about this.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1865
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was there anyone here who REALLY thought the Zoo was going to close? I'm sure there was a remote chance of it happening but wouldn't it have been political suicide to not favor keeping this regional gem open? It's literally one of the FEW destinations to take people in the area.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 63.65.97.67
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 2:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a cost saving measure they should no longer have a name on the tower period!.
This way they can feed the animals with the $50k they won't be giving to Ferguson Painters.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 608
Posted From: 129.188.33.221
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And then the employees of Ferguson Painters wouldn't be able to take their children to the zoo... it's all a very vicious cycle!

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 384
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't the Sect of State change the practice of updating everyting with the new Sect name in order to save $$? I remeber hearing that a few years back and thinking the exact same thing about the Zoo h20 tower.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1001
Posted From: 69.221.78.226
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The vast majority of capital funds are from corporations and wealthy individuals. City money is not used for structural improvements at the zoo. And funds are not diverted from otherwise city-funded line items to be spent on new and improved facilities. Capital funds are mostly earmarked for specific projects, and would not be donated unless they were spent on particular projects.

As an example, Ford donated $5 million for the new education center that just opened at the zoo. If Ford hadn't donated those funds (which were intended only for the construction of a new facility), then the thing would not have been built. And that money has nothing to do with the city.

Entrance fees will likely rise a bit, unless there's a surge in new memberships. It may seem a little steep, at $11.50 for adults (I think), but the park is 125 acres, you can spend most of a day there, and, for a couple more dollars than a movie, it's likely to be more fulfilling than a trip to the multiplex. Anyway, the San Diego Zoo by comparison, is $35 or more (yeah, it's a bigger deal, but still).

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 385
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 4:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just answered my own question:

quote:

She also broke the tradition of plastering the boss' name on the front of all branch offices -- as her predecessors Richard Austin and Miller had done. Land replaced Miller's name with the Secretary of State Web site,www.michigan.gov/sos. In the era of term limits, she said it made no sense to change the marquees every four or eight years.

Google cache from a dead freep article...

Jt1

Post Number: 6865
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Correct - but the agreement calls for CoD to gove $10 MM in capital funds to the zoo. That $10 MM is CoD capital funds that could have been used to upgrade roads, lights, etc within the 139 Sq. Miles of Detroit.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 1002
Posted From: 69.221.78.226
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 4:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The last capital campaign, which ended late last year, raised close to $50 million in private and corporate donations, so $10 million from the city is reasonable. Yeah, it could be put to use for other things in the city, but if the city were managed better, then they could have their cake and eat it, too. If the city wants so badly to maintain "ownership" of the zoo, they have to put up something. If they don't provide funds, they really should have no right to control any aspect of zoo operations.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1867
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 4:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo to Terry Lynn Land then! It just makes fiscal sense to me and besides it always seemed to strike of trying to get your name out there so many times that the people would vote for you JUST out of name recognition. No more names on places/ positions that have term limits makes complete sense to me.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2366
Posted From: 71.144.85.172
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, actually no it couldn't.

Jt1

Post Number: 6872
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Please explain. It is money that comes from funds allocated for Detroit capital improvements. The money is being diverted to capital improvements at the zoo instead of the city.

If it not allocated for Detroit CI where did it come from?

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2368
Posted From: 71.144.85.172
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The $10M bond approved by Detroit voters specifically called for the money to be used for the zoo.

Jt1

Post Number: 6873
Posted From: 205.158.96.139
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad. Thnaks for the clarification. I was told otherwise.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3768
Posted From: 141.217.174.235
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAAAYYYYYY!!!!!! I knew that City "CLOWNSIL" would get their act toghether.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.