Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Outdoor Commencement « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 229
Posted From: 198.204.133.208
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Am I the only one who thinks this makes the place seem cheap? Dirt Track. No control over the weather.

Commencement Returns to Wayne State Campus

Wayne State will host commencement ceremonies on the football field May 6, the first time in 80 years the celebration will take place on main campus.

The event will be part of an annual ceremony that will take place of the twice-a-year ceremonies that previously were held at Cobo Hall. Approximately 1,500 graduates and their family members are expected to attend the May ceremony. Commencement activities for the Law School and School of Medicine will continue to be held separately off campus.

A university-wide committee in December submitted a formal proposal recommending the changes to President Irvin D. Reid. The committee included representation from across the university, including the Department of Athletics, Registrar, Special Events and Services, Facilities Planning and Management, and Alumni Affairs.

http://www.commencement.wayne. edu/

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, that is stupid.

When I graduated from WMU last year on April 23, it was snowing. Luckily, our commencement was held in the auditorium. Hopefully it's much warmer for WSU grads this year.

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 960
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to LTU, and we had ours at the State Fair Grounds Coliseum. It was 95 degrees out, no air-conditioning, and the bugs were coming out from the dirt floor. Now that's cheap.

I'm sure the cost of Cobo played a major part in their decision. Everyone's broke, including Universities.

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 199
Posted From: 141.211.222.132
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 8:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michigan has usually always held their spring commencement at the football stadium, except when it was under serious construction. Honestly, I don't think it makes the school look cheap nor does it detract away from the degree that you are receiving.

Cost is an issue for the school and I think I would be glad knowing that the cost of renting Cobo is not being passed on to the students.

Cassie1717
Username: Cassie1717

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Umm...Dag, WSU just bumped up tuition at the medical school by 18.5% in this single year alone and at least 4.5% to the undergrads. The cost of Cobo may no longer get passed on to students, but it makes one wonder where all that money is going...

And besides, Michigan in May? It could be humid and muggy or snowing. With such unstable weather patterns, WHY would anyone attempt an outdoor ceremony? Not that Cobo was all that glamorous for my undergrad baccalaureate, but at least you know what you're in for...

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 200
Posted From: 141.211.222.132
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 9:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh, I agree you don't know what you are going to get at May in Michigan but it is part of the fun. University of Michigan, Michigan State and I am assuming Western and Central all have outdoor commencement ceremonies. It is just the norm.

The med school rate increase is a seperate and disjoint issue and does not affect undergrad commencement ceremonies. The increase on the undergrad tuition sounds correct in keeping with standard rates of inflation especially since Wayne is being very proactive in capital improvements on campus.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 141.217.98.125
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree with Dag, outdoor commencement should be the norm. I wouldn't have wanted to spend my last moments as an undergrad in some rented out conference hall or arena.

Focusonthed
Username: Focusonthed

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 209.220.229.254
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 11:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I said earlier, WMU has indoor commencement at Miller Auditorium, on campus.

They break commencement into about 4 separate events in order to fit everyone inside, and ease traffic congestion.

Belleislerunner
Username: Belleislerunner

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 198.204.133.208
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 9:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just in time for an overhaul for all you WSU students. New articifial turf and eight lane paved running track coming this summer. Should be nice.

http://bog.wayne.edu/meetings/ 2006/03-08/budgetfinance0306-i temw.pdf

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 224
Posted From: 68.79.114.193
Posted on Friday, March 10, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Central and it was held in our arena. They could have easily had it in the football stadium but I think the unknown weather was an issue. Then again, it is half way up north so the chance of it being cold and/or rainy is a little higher.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1263
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a lot of other classy outdoor spots on Wayne's campus. But neither Wayne nor Michigan are small schools, so you are really restricted to the football stadiums for outdoor ceremonies. I could see a cool setup on the Gullen Mall or on the front lawn of Old Main flowing down onto Cass. Would just require many many chairs and portable bleachers.

These late April commencements can be quite cold unfortunately. I'd hate to see a rainstorm make them go running for the general lectures building or some other piece of crap. Hmmm and the Hillberry probably isn't big enough.

Cassie1717
Username: Cassie1717

Post Number: 30
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Saturday, March 11, 2006 - 12:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it sucks especially for those "non-traditional" students, the ones who are older, who are returning to school while balancing families and jobs, to have their endeavors literally washed out in a rainstorm or belittled by an astroturf ceremony. WSU is noted for its "nontraditional" population. I was the "traditional" student who saw how hard they worked to make it happen and they deserve so much more.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1944
Posted From: 69.47.100.44
Posted on Monday, March 13, 2006 - 1:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why not Ford Field for a commencement in May? It's covered and has the semblance of turf for those of you who want to feel some "grass" underfoot as you attain that diploma. It's got more than enough seating and is just a stone's throw away from the campus.

I knew plenty of suburban schools that used the Silverdome back in the day so why not use THIS football field which is in the heart of our city??

Makes sense to me.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.