Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Rescue 4 Investigates Kwame Kilpatrick « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 4:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KILLpatrick got some explaining to do!!!! I first heard about this on Local 4 News early Tuesday.I didn't get a chance to see it because I was at my job when this is going on.I went to the Local 4 website and they got a vidclip. If you guys don't know about this, click on the link, then scroll down to latest headlines:
http://www.clickondetroit.com/ investigations/index.html

Mcpd1300
Username: Mcpd1300

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 68.42.175.57
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 4:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

VERY hot exposé on the Mayor... not surprising however...

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5607
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 5:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He doesn't really have a teaching certificate in Florida? GASP!

Please, M.L. Wake me when you've found a scandal.

Angry_dad
Username: Angry_dad

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 7:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The family on the payroll with no credentials or results, nothing new for Kwame.

Scandal? Just business as usual.

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 278
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 8:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

[ Post moved from earlier thread: ]

Here are excerpts from an odd, anonymous e-mail sent Tuesday afternoon by Kilpatrick loyalists.
It went from 'Communications Team' to an apparently large group-distribution list.

The unsigned, 7-paragraph letter is a Word attachment labeled WDIV Rebut 2.28.06.revised2.doc (Don't you love that they show it had to be revised . . . by we can only imagine who. Class act.)

It claims:

quote:

Television stations are obsessed on rehashing stories that they have previously presented to Detroiters and suburban viewers ...

Obsessed on? That's different.

It goes on to say:

quote:

From what we understand, the story will claim that Mayor Kilpatrick did not receive a teacher’s certificate from Florida A&M University. This is inaccurate. But beyond that, what difference does it make?

Got that? Wrong . . . and wouldn't matter if we're fibbing.

But wait, there's more:

quote:

The same goes for Nneka Kafi, special projects coordinator for the Mayor. We anticipate the story will claim that she does not have the experience to hold this position. When she sought a position with the Kilpatrick administration in 2001 she brought a plethora of administrative experience relevant to her position including database creation, site management, and event coordination.

Heck of a job, Nneka . . . setting up a spreadsheet, overseeing a website and planning a party or reception, which is about what that "plethora of administrative experience" sounds like.

There are 2 more disjointed, style-impaired paragraphs, but you get the picture.

Or perhaps I should say obsessed on this plethora of investigative broadcasting.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3755
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 9:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All KING KWAME! spill it out. You're hiding something. And the Detroiters and Suburbs want to know. So quit lying. and quit playing with yourself!

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 217
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 10:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK is probably muling Africans across the border. He's large enough to have at least one in his stomach.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 738
Posted From: 69.246.118.98
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It must be sweeps week!

What Mayor Kilpatrick is to the local media, is what Ali was to Howard Cosell!

Watch yo'back Mayor

super d(motordetroit)

Jelk
Username: Jelk

Post Number: 3691
Posted From: 141.217.119.145
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"What Mayor Kilpatrick is to the local media, is what Ali was to Howard Cosell!"

Ummm...I don't know where you got your history but Ali and Cosell were very close. They enjoyed playing each other's foil, true enough, but Cosell was among the first major journalists/broadcasters to refer to Ali as Ali after his conversion to Islam. He was also one of the first, if the first, of the small number of journalists/broadcasters to back Ali during his fight with the government and the boxing establishment over Vietnam. I dare say they considered each other as a friend.

To somehow suggest otherwise is to not only betray your own ignorance about some very basic facts of an historical story, but to diminish the record of one of the most intelligent and interesting pioneers of television broadcasting and sports journalism. I think it also proves Cosell's long-held belief that only bad things happen when the jockocracy begins permeating society.

That said I’m staying out of the Kilpatrick/Channel 4 discussion. Didn't see the story, have no opinion.

(Message edited by jelk on March 01, 2006)

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kinda of to late for this report. What, are they (city) planning to boot him out of the office (NOT)!!!

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 287
Posted From: 69.209.179.171
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

K-Money is in trouble with M.L. on the scene.

Super_d

Post Number: 739
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Jek' stated

quote:

"uuuh... I don't know where you got your history, but Ali and Cosell were very close"

uuuuh, that's not true early on....but I'm not talk'n bout their frienship anyway....I'm talk'n bout career wise!!!!!

Ali propelled Cosells career just as the Mayor propelles the ratings for the local news media.

"Man without me you'd just be a mouth and a microphone...."
MOHAMMAD ALI

dig it now!

super d(motordetroit)

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 407
Posted From: 172.168.97.219
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the report. For local television it was well supported and didn’t just shoot for the sensational. The mayor's lack of a teacher certificate was only a minor part of the story. The main thrust of the story illustrated what can happen when a politician aggressively and blatantly maintains a Friends and Family patronage program.

The report disclosed that Nneka Cheeks (a cousin of the mayor) was brought in to handle special projects in the Mayor's Office (salary $52K). One of her projects apparently has been to reform the petty cash system in the mayor's office that was looted by previous members of the Friends and Family crew. The problem is that cousin Nneka doesn't seem to be all that qualified for the project given that she has had massive financial difficulties of her own involving numerous creditor collection lawsuits, landlord/tenant evictions and finally a bankruptcy. Also, her resume falsely claims that she completed several years of nursing studies at Western Michigan when she was only there for one or two semesters.

The next subject of the report was mayoral uncle, Raymond Cheeks. Mr. Cheeks was appointed by his nephew as director of the Neighborhood City Halls (salary $90K). The report replayed video of the mayor during the last budget cycle grandly claiming that massive reforms and restructuring of city government were going to take place including salary cuts and the elimination of city-owned cars for appointees. Then the report displayed recent video of Mr. Elrick, the former Detroit News and now Channel 4 reporter, approaching Mr. Cheeks on the street in his neighborhood to ask him some questions. Interestingly at the time, Mr. Cheeks was sitting in the driver's seat of a shiny new city-owned Crown Vic. Mr. Cheeks refused to answer any questions about the car. He also refused to anwser any questions about his resume. Mr. Elrick sought to question him about this because the resume claims a degree from Michigan State University. The report included a shot of a letter from MSU stating that Mr. Cheeks had never received a degree.

Mr. Elrick also sought to question another mayoral cousin whose name I didn't catch who apparently works in the Mayor's Office (salary $114K) and who is responsible for human resources and appointments. The questioning concerned information about the resume issues of these other Friends and Family members but the lady refused to talk and told him to contact the press secretary.

Mr. Elrick reported that he contacted the press secretary, Ms. Quiett, several times to no avail. He did get hold of her once (while on camera I think) but all he got was a stall and no answers to questions.

The report was hard hitting and it asked fair questions. Should Ms. Cheeks be handling money? Should she be fired for using a false resume? Why does Uncle Raymond get a car? Should he be fired for his false resume? It will be interesting to see if this story has any legs.

P.S. Realitycheck, if you have the entire “Communications Team” email and attachment, please post them.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 521
Posted From: 68.61.98.175
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

M.L. Elrick is a good reporter with a lot of integrity. I don't think this is a vendetta or yellow journalism.

Jelk

Post Number: 3693
Posted From: 141.217.119.161
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 1:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

J-E-L-K. It is spelled Jelk you inbred moron.

Yes Ali helped make Cosell a celebrity, he was already a talented broadcaster. And Cosell helped make Ali an icon, he was already a talented boxer.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5612
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 1:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jek,

Have you seen the movie, Ali? It explores their relationship in detail.

Jelk

Post Number: 3694
Posted From: 141.217.119.161
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know I'm probably an eltist by some of your standards but I don't get my history from Hollywood.

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5613
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know. I just wanted to call you, "Jek."

Super_d

Post Number: 740
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 2:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Inbred moron? ouch

Jelk stated....

quote:

"J-E-L-K is spelled jelk you inbred moron"

and then Jelk stated...

quote:

"I know I'm probably an eltist by some of your standards....."

'eltist' is spelled e-l-i-t-i-s-t

I'm not tha' only inbred moron:-)

super d(motordetroit)

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 221
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Once upon a time, super d(motordetroit) improperly uttered: "Ali propelled Cosells career just as the Mayor propelles the ratings for the local news media."

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 996
Posted From: 69.221.78.226
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, it must be 'sweeps week.' That couple in New Baltimore wasn't really murdered. It's just the media making it up for ratings.

Nip
Username: Nip

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 148.87.1.172
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 2:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why are people surprised to hear these things about KK? This report is nothing new...

And the nepotism... We all knew this, give me a break.

My question is “what purpose does this expose serve?” The mofo was just RE-ELECTED. At this point, does it really make a difference? It’s not like he’d resign. And forgot about an impeachment trial, the city would have to close the DIA just to pay for that.

All that’s left to say is “shame on the ignorant people who voted for him” (who have no right to complain).

You sow what you reap, RIGHT RAS…

Super_d

Post Number: 741
Posted From: 69.246.108.223
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Livernoisyard'__ what are you the bodyguard!

Find yo' own fight, this is between, myself and 'Jelk'

But I's ain't mad atcha' dog!

super d(motordetroit)

Itsjeff

Post Number: 5618
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 3:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't fault WDIV for airing the report. Two of the Mayor's kin are on the City payroll but have apparently lied about their credentials. That's news.

But it's hardly Watergate. Mcpd called it a "very hot expose," but I just don't see it. Hopefully cousin Nneka will quietly rresign and that'll be it.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 227
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 3:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like butting into preexisting grammar wars... Must be the editor within me.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 783
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 3:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not having a teaching certificate a few years ago is nothing surprising or uncommon in some states or areas. Michigan has very high teaching standards and pay, so getting teachers to come here is not a problem, but in other states, that is not the case, Florida being one of them. Benefits and pay stink there, so they have to try to steal teachers from other areas, or fill the jobs with bodies. No Child Left Behind has at least changed some of that, mandating you have to have a highly qualified certified teacher in the classroom. And Florida is trying to improve teacher pay, their benefits down there still stink, but that is very common in Southern states.

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2358
Posted From: 71.144.82.148
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, most of what you say is accurate, however, not applicable to this case. Kilpatrick claimed to have that specific credential (a FL teaching certificate), but it turns out that he does not (he never even applied much less received one).

Also, (as you started to allude to) areas such as FL are now raising their pay and benefit scales, so that is also no longer applicable.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 229
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 4:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As in real estate, cost does not equal value when it applies to teachers' salaries. Michigan is a bottom-feeder state in education, especially SE Michigan.

The high costs are mostly attributed to the teachers' unions being able to restrict the supply via the state "overseers" and making it extremely difficult to cull out incompetent "teachers."

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 271
Posted From: 141.217.84.55
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 4:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Very detailed post, Swingline. I'd like to see the Mayor's supporters defend each fact listed in that story instead of tossing out the old "white media" red herring defense.

It certainly is some AMAZING coincidence that Kwame's family members just happen to be the best qualified people for a wide range of six-figure city jobs. Of course it helps when you flat-out lie on your resume and claim to have a college degree. Didn't Kwame's sister also go from working in an airport restaurant to being the CEO of a city charity with a 100K salary as well?

Bob

Post Number: 784
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 4:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Florida has increased pay, but the cost of living is higher there, so it almost negates the raise. There has not been much done for the benefits of teachers in Florida, they still stink for the most part. Also there are ways to get rid of incompetent teachers, it just takes a competent school adminstrator to do it. And since there is a shortage of administrators everywhere, that will not be fixed anytime soon. No one wants to deal with what an adminstrator deals with, especially the added pressures of having to meet all the crazy requirements of No Child Left Behind. Teaching Florida still stinks, no matter what way you put it. Although Kwame claiming he has a valid certificate, did he not think someone would FOIA to find out?

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2359
Posted From: 71.144.82.148
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, I'm not so sure about that "higher cost of living in Florida" claim. Maybe around Miami (and resorts), but certainly not statewide.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 230
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 4:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NCLB only entrenches incompetents, as the "standards" are mostly attendance in ed mills in lieu of actual competence. Only around 25% of teachers currently teaching math or science are actually trained in those subjects. The others are essentially drafted into teaching higher-level courses.

In addition, 91% of US K-6 teachers are women, if that means anything. In Europe, the elementary courses are customarily taught by men. BTW, when US students are compared internationally amongst the major 25 industrial nations, the US scores typically at the bottom 2 or 3.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 231
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 4:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Florida has no state income tax.

And some 30 armed robberies occurred this year in Detroit schools, and according to some IGG-nernt schmuck at DPS - they could have happened anywhere:

Gunman robs teacher in Detroit elementary school

The Detroit News

DETROIT - A gunman robbed a teacher inside Owen Elementary School on the city's west side this morning.

The robbery took place around 7:30 a.m. as the teacher, Margaret Ministrelli from Livonia, was going to her classroom in the school on 15th and Ash streets. The masked gunman dumped out the contents of her purse and stole money and credit cards before fleeing, police said. No one was hurt and no students were in the building.

Police said they think the gunman entered the school through the open staff door. There are no security officers in elementary schools.

Shortly after that, Margaret Horner, a teacher"s aide who lives across the street from the school, received a frantic knock on her door.

"The janitor came to my house to get me to call 911," Horner said.

Detroit schools public safety and Detroit police officers converged on the school to investigate.

The Rev. David Murphy, a Detroit School Board member, said the incident is something that could happen anywhere and the community needs to volunteer to help protect the schools.

"I hope this is a wake-up call for the community," he said.

Jon Zemke and Christine MacDonald contributed to this report.

(Message edited by livernoisyard on March 01, 2006)

Realitycheck

Post Number: 280
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Swingline delivers a neatly stapled summary of the video posted at http://www.clickondetroit.com/ index.html (3rd item in left-side Seen on 4 column: Rescue 4 Investigates Detroit Mayor Kwame Kilpatrick)

Just 1 tiny fix + 1 supplement, posted respectfully (as Swingline clearly is far from a moron, inbred or otherwise):

quote:

Mr. Elrick, the former Detroit News and now Channel 4 reporter,

He left the Freep. They only seem like the same paper.

quote:

another mayoral cousin whose name I didn't catch who apparently works in the Mayor's Office (salary $114K) and who is responsible for human resources and appointments.

Patricia Peoples, deputy chief of staff, who told Elrick with cloyingly sarcastic sweetness 'Have a nice day' as she shut a door.

quote:

. . . if you have the entire "Communications Team" email and attachment, please post them.

Asked (politely) and answered:
Folks,

During the course of last year’s mayoral campaign, a question the media often asked of Mayor Kilpatrick is, "what will you do differently in the next four years?" It is clear that the residents of Detroit need to ask the media the same question.

Television stations are obsessed on rehashing stories that they have previously presented to Detroiters and suburban viewers. On the Tuesday evening news, WDIV Channel 4’s newest reporter M.L. Elrick, formerly of the Detroit Free Press, will again rehash the “friends and family” story for your entertainment.

Because Elrick and the station’s practice is to keep information a secret even from the subjects of their stories, we are not exactly clear on what it is that will be reported tonight. However, based upon some investigating of our own, it is come to our attention that the story may target the Mayor’s professional credentials, and at least two members of his staff.

First, from what we understand, the story will claim that Mayor Kilpatrick did not receive a teacher’s certificate from Florida A&M University. This is inaccurate. But beyond that, what difference does it make? This has been a top story that has been promoted all day, as if the Mayor was untruthful about having graduated from college, or having received his law degree.

The same goes for Nneka Kafi, special projects coordinator for the Mayor. We anticipate the story will claim that she does not have the experience to hold this position. When she sought a position with the Kilpatrick administration in 2001 she brought a plethora of administrative experience relevant to her position including database creation, site management, and event coordination.

We also anticipate that the ability of Raymond Cheeks, Director of Neighborhood City Halls, will be called into question, but we don’t understand why? Before serving the city, he held community-based positions with Flint Neighborhood Improvement and Preservation Project, and the AFL-CIO. He has served the citizens of Detroit under both Mayor Coleman A. Young and Dennis Archer’s administrations. His ability to serve Detroiters was never brought into question before, so why now?

Elrick, who was identified by the neighbors as sitting outside the homes of Kafi and Cheeks in an unmarked car—never once asked for an interview with them about their credentials or the information in the report. Elrick hiding in cars, not saying what he wants — this is not transparent behavior.

Yup, that's how it ends . . .
. . . with all the gentle grace of a mayoral cousin cutting off a reporter with a closed door

Bob

Post Number: 785
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, that is not completely true. Not sure if you are in education or not, but to be teaching math or science, you have to certified in math or science. That means you have taken the Test for Teacher Certification in that subject, and you at least have a minor in it. If there is someone teaching it that is what is considered highly qualified, they have had the past 5 years to get the certification, take master classes in it etc. District will not even hire someone who is not certified in it anymore. This is federal law, if a district is not in compliance, they can lose funding. NCLB does not dictate the standards of subjects as that is seen as taking away states rights. Each state dictates that.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 233
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 9:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I only taught three years, scored 894 out of a maximum of 900 (99 1/3% where only 73% is needed) in the Michigan Basic Skills Test, and passed four special skills tests in physics, mathematics, computer science , and general science at Cobo Hall during the same day (two in the AM and two in the PM) where most take only two tests maximum (but usually one test, period), due to time constraints. So I know a little about the teaching game. I also know more than a bit about teacher incompetency.

You are talking about the ideal scenario. However, 30 days prior to the start of school, special emergency provisions come into play. Without them, there would be even more cancelled courses. Just why do you think that Michigan enacted special legislation enabling distant internet education for high school students in courses where there are plenty of need for competent teachers where few can be found, such as physics, for example?

BTW, my education was not in education, but in electrical, computer, and chemical engineering and accounting at the University of Wissconsin and in airframe & powerplant mechanics at Blackhawk Technical College in Janesville, WI.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 282
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 9:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OK, LivernoisYard, now I just gotta say the obvious:
Blackhawk-atcha!
Just can't stop myself sometimes . . .

Bob

Post Number: 787
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 9:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm currently a teacher, and working on a masters degree right now. The scenario you talk about is one that happened a few years ago. The only place there is a teacher shortage right now is special education (in MI). Since the economy is so bad, schools have been hit hard and there have been lolts of layoffs in the past few years. The current problem is not the fact we don't have the teachers, its that teachers are being forced to leave MI to actually get employment. It has created a young teacher brain drain that is going to be a problem in a 10 years when a huge chunk of the current teachers will be eligible to retire. The tide changed for MI teacher in just a short five year span. In fact I know more than a few people (science and math certification) that have been forced to resort to teaching in charter school (techinically called public school academies). They want out of them, but it is either that or move out of state and deal with lesser pay and benefits, which is essentially what you get with a charter school anyways.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 234
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 9:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And Wayne State offers an MIT (Masters in Teaching) with an admittance requirement of only a 2.6 GPA (in an era of massive GPA inflation from the 1960s) in any undergraduate area - unless they lowered their "standards" even more. I'm suspicious of any university such as WSU having to continually advertise its "merits" on the radio. Major- or middle-tier universities never advertise because they have long waiting lists. A non-AA-endowed high school senior would volunteer an ovary or testicle to gain admittance into a major university - if that would do it.

In case you are unaware of spec ed teachers - they have the second lowest SAT scores of all groupings of teachers - just above phy ed teachers. Many spec ed teachers were spec ed students themselves while in school. The mean SAT score for elementary K-6 teachers is lower than the mean SAT score for graduating high school seniors. Obviously nothing to brag about...

Bob

Post Number: 788
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 10:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First, my first degree is from MSU as is the one I am currently working on, there blows your theory right there. MSU is one of the top ranked ed schools in the nation. And I completely agree with you about WSU. And second, I am not really sure where you get your statistics or what districts you are referring to, but I have met very few special ed teachers that were ever certified special ed. I sense that your teaching career may have been marred by a bad experience since you seem somewhat bitter, or you may have been in a school district that clearly had some issues if this is all coming from your experience.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 235
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Academics is but a byproduct of today's educational environment. I chose to work in a real-world occupation.

Good for you if you like teaching. I wasn't particularly upset with it, but I knew that academics was not its main goal any longer. Just look at what comes out of Michigan's private and public schools.

A Masters is definitely not required to teach children, but it usually brings in an additional $7000 or so, depending upon the labor contract. Burnley of the DPS strove to make Detroit's schools more accountable academically instead of its being an employer of adults. Notice the resistance he encountered...

Bob

Post Number: 789
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 10:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livernoisyard, as with everything, it is how you use it. I plan to eventually move to teaching college, so I really plan on using my masters. I would disagree that is is not needed, as the worst teachers are the ones set in there ways and not trying to find new ways to reach children. And as with everything, there are good schools and bad schools, the best of the best coming out of MI schools are just as good as the best from anyplace else, but not everyone is getting the best. This is why the new high school reform stanards are so huge for MI. A bigger problem in MI is not from the education system, its from the parents who were ingrained to think an education was not important, that they could make it without one and work in a factory. Well their jobs have been shipped overseas and now are passing their bad attitude about education to their kids. I agree reform is needed and would love to hear more about how you see this, especially since you looking from the private sector to the schools.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 236
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 10:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The flight from Michigan is hardly restricted to "brain drain." The lack of jobs for blue-collar parents also forces them to leave. Probably 300,000 or so "workers" in just the past 2 or 3 years. They obviously do not leave their children behind. So there's fewer kids in schools that need teaching. Therefore, fewer teachers are needed in cash-strapped municiplities.

And then the economics cascade even further into a graveyard spiral when their homes have next to zero equity, and they are foreclosed. Eventually, this makes the news, as evidenced recently.

Bob

Post Number: 790
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You're absolutely correct, it is a much larger problem not just in education. People are moving to where the jobs are, much like they did when they moved here for jobs in the auto factories. Look at how the large amount of school bonds that were turned down yesterday, people just don't have the money. The money they they are proposing to add to the per pupil funding for next year is a result of there being more money left in the fund because of less students, like you said people are leaving. It is very scary where this state is headed, there is just no end in sight to the bleeding.

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 237
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"because of less students..."

Come on, Bob! Countable objects use fewer.

Your reasons are just enough not to choose teaching. Another is that the most incompetent teachers will usually be paid the same as the most competent with equal times of service. This governor is simply catering to her principal funding source - public-sector unions when she wants the additional funding per student.

A reason not to pay more for colleges is that their profs have the lightest "work" loads of just about any group. Finally, why pay more to educate skilled graduates who will simply leave Michigan for jobs elsewhere, never to return?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 790
Posted From: 69.221.34.173
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"teacher incompetency."

Come on, Livernois, it's "teacher incompetence."

What score did you get on your English SATs?

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Forgot about the ACT and SAT scores. However, the IQ is over 150, so sometimes I even pay the mensa dues, and then I get some more magazines and such.

in·com·pe·ten·cy n. pl. in·com·pe·ten·cies
Incompetence.

Noun 1. incompetency - lack of physical or intellectual ability or qualifications
incompetence
inability, unfitness - lacking the power to perform

Pffft

Post Number: 791
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep writing "teacher incompetency," and people will keep laughing, wondering who your teachers were!

Livernoisyard

Post Number: 239
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft: This has got to be some PC crap of yours, no?

Pffft

Post Number: 793
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If bad grammar is "PC crap," sure.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2104
Posted From: 63.149.5.130
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 9:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CHANNEL FOUR NEXT EXPOSE!

Mayor Kilpatrick said he wears briefs but he really wears boxers! We have exclusive evidence only here on channel 4!

They are starting their campaign AGAIN and it is still 4 years away. Wonder why no one ever trys to expose anything on Warrens Mayor or anyone else....always go after the black man...typical Detroit news tactics.

Realitycheck

Post Number: 283
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 9:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahem: Yoo-hoo, boys -- take it outside in the schoolyard, please.

This is, or was, a thread on Rescue 4 investigates Kwame Kilpatrick . . . so if you must engage in an education career debate and spelling showdown, at least address the etymology of Nneka (as in mayoral cousin Nneka Cheeks . . . who came on stage one day and a few dozen tangential posts ago).

Now there's someone who we all can agree doesn't have "a real-world occupation," as LivernoisYard says!

. . . just trying to switch this runaway thread back on track-atcha.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9923
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jek? Eltist? Here I thought this thread was gonna be the same old garbage I've been reading and hearing about for 4+ years. I was pleasantly surprised.

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 63.65.97.67
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 2:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i wish i was in the kk jobs bank!

how could these people finish their degrees, they weren't working for Lonnie Bates!

Sknutson
Username: Sknutson

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 67.114.23.202
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Perhaps they should see if there are other mayoral appointees with rides they are no longer supposed to have.

Rms
Username: Rms

Post Number: 16
Posted From: 141.211.114.43
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't think this is a case that the media (Elrick) is picking on KK because he's black. The bit about his lack of the teacher cert was a minor point to the story. He is being picked on, if it must be called that, because he is the mayor and he SHOULD be held accountable. If there were suburban mayors with a suspicious Friends and Family program, that would be a story too. You can bet on it. Wasn't the media all over the mayor of Warren, or some other high-ranking Warren official a few years ago....over and over and over, those stories played. This is no different.

I echo the comments of Warriorfan:
"It certainly is some AMAZING coincidence that Kwame's family members just happen to be the best qualified people for a wide range of six-figure city jobs. Of course it helps when you flat-out lie on your resume and claim to have a college degree."

I would hope that the mayor would be enraged that someone lied on their job application - all the more so from a relative. The problem is, KK has not acknowledged or refuted the lies on the job applications. The office of the mayor leaves that silent, and as far as Nneka, implies that she is competent for the job based on her "plethora of administrative experience".

We've had situations arise at my place of employment where people were found to have lied on their job appl. At that time I don't think we've ever once asked ourselves if the person does good work, or if they were otherwise qualified. You lied. You're out of here. There has to be some integrity and accountability.

Bob

Post Number: 794
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steve Duchane, former Sterling Heights city manager, current Allen Park city manager lost his job in Sterling Heights because he lied about having a college degree on his resume.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6862
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 3:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

RMS I agree but I do question why there is never seems to be an investigation into the other area leaders.

Who knows, maybe there are and they are all squeaky clean. You would think with the drunk driving arrests for some of our regional leaders they may consider doing a little following.

I am all for exposing shady actions of KKs but I can guarantee you he isn't the only shady person in regional government.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 290
Posted From: 69.209.191.39
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am all for exposing shady actions of KKs but I can guarantee you he isn't the only shady person in regional government

-true, just that KK is one of the most influential and powerful in the region.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 399
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 5:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There has ben a powerful lot of coverage of the Taylor mayors - new and previous.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 353
Posted From: 35.11.210.161
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 5:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Also his past actions and confrontations with the local media and suburbs makes him an easier target. It's has nothing to with him being black, being anti-Detroit; the media always seems to be more willing to investigate people who are unpopular or when there is a pattern of corruption/lying. KK fits both of those perfectly most suburbanites don't like him and he been caught in similar things before. The media knows people want to see the next Navigate and I suspect that's what they'll spend most of their time looking for.

Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2363
Posted From: 71.144.85.172
Posted on Thursday, March 02, 2006 - 7:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Ilovedetroit" what took you so long? Are you back to claiming to be a "Black man" for purposes of this thread?

Other "Black men" that the media are "picking on":

Michael Brown, former head of FEMA

Steve Duchene, former Sterling Heights City Manager

George O'Leary, Notre Dame head football coach for 8 days, revealed that he did not play varsity college football nor have a MA from NYU as he had previously claimed.

"Former RadioShack Corp. Chief Executive Dave Edmondson, who resigned Monday following questions about his resume's accuracy...Fort Worth Star-Telegram story identified false information on his resume...Edmondson claimed on the resume that he had received degrees in theology and psychology from Pacific Coast Baptist College in California, which moved in 1998 to Oklahoma and renamed itself Heartland Baptist Bible College. The school had no records of the degrees, and Edmondson acknowledged the information about the degrees was "incorrect."

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.thenewsherald.com/s tories/022504/loc_20040225111. shtml

Robtruth
Username: Robtruth

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 4.229.27.254
Posted on Friday, March 03, 2006 - 10:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Accountability and honor are qualities that most politicians lack.

The question I would like answered by anybody is since Mayor Kilpatrick lied, should he do the honorable action and at LEAST apologize for his lie?

If he does says mea culpa, then will that provoke a further feeding frenzy about his credentials?

If he does not render an explanation, then the easy answer is hey ya'll I just got relected and I don't hafta explain anything to my constituents.

Mayor Kilpatrick recently stated his name as a reason for going on a trip to Africa.

Maybe he went there looking for his teaching certification.

Mrsjdaniels
Username: Mrsjdaniels

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 69.221.67.104
Posted on Tuesday, March 07, 2006 - 8:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

KK was a sub, not a certified teacher

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 7:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It looks like Kwame knows about the investigation.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.