Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Eastern Market Newbies « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Arc312
Username: Arc312

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 35.11.161.238
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 1:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My friend and I are planning to wake-up early on saturday and go to eastern market.

I wanted to know if anyone had any suggestions about what to buy, where to park, etc.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2772
Posted From: 69.209.133.247
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 7:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Park near Russell Street and the freeway ditch, and wander. Since it's your first trip, plan to spend all day wandering in and out of shops without necessarily buying anything.

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 976
Posted From: 68.73.195.77
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 8:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BE sure to check out Raffel Spice on Russel (coffee, spices, marinades and such), also, go into Rocky's for your bulk candy. I always like to eat at Russel Street Deli, they have amazing breakfast specials on Saturdays.

Go accross the parking lot from Russel Street Deli to R. Hirt, make sure to explore the upper floors. Check out the Eastern Market Antique Mall, also on Riopelle.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 745
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't forget Cost Plus Wine!

Lurker
Username: Lurker

Post Number: 1602
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Get there after 11:30 and you don't have to worry about parking or crowds.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 887
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I usually find a spot just west of the market on the little streets like division that connect russell and rivard, there are a few empty lots back there to park in too...come in the "back door" from rivard to avoid all the congestion right on russell...its a great place any time of the year, but even better in the nicer months.

If you're going for produce, get yourself a little cheap pull along cart, a big canvas bag, or even a wheeled suitcase to carry your produce around in...otherwise your gonna be lugging around fistfulls of plastic bags all morning/afternoon.

have fun! :-)

Mc5rules
Username: Mc5rules

Post Number: 160
Posted From: 148.61.97.101
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would suggest you get up as early as humanly possible to get there. IMO, if the sun comes up before you park, you've gotten there too late. Not that you miss anything specifically, i just enjoy that early morning vibe there. The people there that early are SERIOUS....

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 69.246.74.205
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 4:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And if you have any troubles finding the back door, Manrooter can show you the way.

Skipp
Username: Skipp

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 24.192.6.193
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 5:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is a couple of places to check out.
http://www.easternmarket.org/p df/EMMA_Directory%20022406.pdf
If you are not a vegetarian the gratiot central market is a must see.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 209
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 6:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Get there after 11:30 and you don't have to worry about parking or crowds."

that may be the case now...but once it gets warmer, it will still be busy for awhile after 11:30. every time i have gone after noon, i still had some issues finding an ok parking spot and there were still lots of people around. although i would think it would be a lot less crazy than early in the morning. either way, it's totally worth getting groceries there.

Developer
Username: Developer

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.84.191.119
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 9:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Park on the south end near the freeway and J.R. Hirt store. Walk over the freeway overpass ot the general store next to the chicken factory on Gratiot. Buy a shoping cart with a plastic bag liner. Ususally can get it under $20.
Check out the open air market first. Start at the south end to buy mushrooms and spring lettuce. (3rd generation vendor). Continue north past the popcorm vendor and buy your organic carrots. Continue north to the next covered open air market. Shop the east of the market for your fruits. Continue north to the flower area for your fresh cuts. Head to the furthest north open market to get your plants.

Once you are at the farthes north end, double back and head toward your car. Dont forget to stop at the Pizza Planet on the west side of Russel at the freeway overpass. (Quick specialty pizza and seasonal soup, inexpensice)Once you have loaded up your purchases, check out J.R. Hirt store. The seafood store next to J. R. Hirt is worth checking out.
Don't forget to bargain. Make a deal. Later in the day, the selections sell out and the vendors are ready to close up shop and go home. SO make a deal.

It is truely a Detroit experience.

Have fun.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 373
Posted From: 64.134.163.124
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Don't forget Cost Plus Wine!"
______________________________ _________________

Walk in. Look for the charming gent in the irish tweed cap (Tim McCarthy), and tell him what kind of wine you like and might there be a suggestion that he could share with you for your pleasure?

You will have a wonderful time.

Domski
Username: Domski

Post Number: 7
Posted From: 68.21.41.175
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Vivio's. Breakfast with a Bloody Mary. In between the wine shop and Hirt's.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2783
Posted From: 69.218.157.80
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're in the market in the afternoon, definitely Vivio's upstairs to check out Heather's SAS (Saturday Afternoon Social).

Good chance you'll meet a forumite or 2 sitting at the bar. Even if not, the regulars are a very social group, knowledgeable about Detroit. It probably won't be long before you've a shot you didn't order in front of you.

Tndetroiter
Username: Tndetroiter

Post Number: 22
Posted From: 24.158.164.229
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's that place a couple doors down from Hirt's where you can get an "Old World Sandwich"? The ones where they stuff cheese, all the fixins, and three different kinds of sausage into a pita. Those things are awesome!

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 532
Posted From: 69.14.248.252
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Domski - don't you have a baseball organization to run?

Maybe this behaviour explains a few things :-)

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 203
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't think of the name of the place either; but those sausage sandwiches are fantastic! To me, they are the best cheap (in price only) Saturday lunch in town. It's the sausage and fish market right between Vivio's and Cost Plus Wine. They also carry a big variety of dried pastas and condements.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 747
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it's called "Eastern Market Seafood".

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 594
Posted From: 70.233.4.107
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I suprise everyone when I say ive never been to easternmarket, sure I know where it is and driving through it. But when do the crowds leave? only a saturday thing right? The business's open all the time? Im surprised it isnt totally like pittsburghs strip district, open area market and the business late at night turn into dance clubs and bars, with a mixture of cafes and some residential.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 846
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since this thread is open here...I ws wondering if anyone knew of a place where I could find a cooking sherry, in the Eastern Market???

Jams

Post Number: 2826
Posted From: 70.230.17.31
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cost Plus Wines, has a great selection of sherries.

Broken_main

Post Number: 854
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great...I need to get this roast marinated for a few days!!! thanks so much

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

for lamb I go to saads on orleans

Jams

Post Number: 2827
Posted From: 69.212.27.154
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was at Cost Plus yesterday, and neglected to pick up a bottle. Had to settle for Taylors for my squash soup.

Note to self: Shop first, than Vivio's for Heather's SASS.

Broken_main

Post Number: 857
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I will keep that in mind as well. I just love the input on this forum.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 128
Posted From: 69.246.30.248
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a very cool vintage kitsch shop in the basement of the Eastern Market Antiques Mall [the Antique Mall between the olive shop & the hot sauce shop on the east side of Russell]. It's called Mantra Underground, and it has all sorts of interesting bric-a-brac.

Jams

Post Number: 2831
Posted From: 68.252.12.82
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main,
Just get the Taylors for the marinade, get the Spanish sherry for drinking.

Just tried the squash soup, the sherry flavour was just right with the curry.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1843
Posted From: 4.229.105.106
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 5:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Irish_mafia.... Tim McCarthy is that pleasant gentleman in the tweed cap at Cost Plus. I have purchased many cases of fine German Riesling wines (mostly Riesling Auslese) from that great guy. Nice to finally put a name to a face.

I also love to go to R. Hirt's, and buy some fresh sliced New York White Cheddar Cheese, get some croissants, and some fine imported German & Swiss chocolates. Yum!

Too bad that beautiful red brick 3 story old store next door to Hirt's burned down about 12 years ago. What was that beautiful building called? Was it "Fronterra Bros." or something like that?

(Message edited by Gistok on March 05, 2006)

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, I've only gone on Saturday afternoons (usually between 2 and 4, when they start shutting down) and the crowds have never been bad and parking close quite easy. Getting there late you might not have all the selection but you also have folks trying to get rid of produce for cheap.

It's got all the potential to be like the Strip District in Pittsburgh (perhaps potentially better since the market district isn't constrained to one or two roads but rather is a 2-dimensional area), hopefully one day like Pike Place in Seattle. There are already some residents (I believe 2-300) and some bars and more underground nighttime venues. Still no Spaghetti Warehouse though and I'd love to see some Asian grocery stores located there too. The question on my mind is why hasn't loft conversion taken hold here?

Broken_main

Post Number: 864
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jams...I will be going tomorrow. You have definitely given me a great idea. Thanks so much for your input.

Tomoh...I agree with, with the right developer, Easterm market could be the perfect spot to reside in. It has always had a good feel to it. As far as conversion, i think it's well on its way and headed in the right direction. Just needs the right people with the right vision.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 902
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 9:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

steelworker.

the open air retail market is saturdays only, the later you go the worse the selection, but the deals on the remaining stock are better since the sellers would rather get rid of it than box it back up... the business surrounding it keep normal hours through the week generally.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 8:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From another post:

"The City Council and the Kilpatrick administration also will soon discuss another public-private partnership to run Eastern Market.

Kate Beebe, an urban planner with the Gensler architecture firm who helped develop the market corporation idea while working at the Downtown Detroit Partnership, said several major grant offers totaling nearly $4 million expire in June unless the city has agreed to let the new nonprofit operate and promote Eastern Market. "

I don't know much about the market corporation besides the fact that not much has changed since its inception... but maybe it's because they didn't have enough control/responsibility. It'd be a shame to lose out on $4 million in grants. But it'd be nice to see a group take charge in promoting the market, bring in some artists and art galleries leading to more residents, maybe some alternative programming of the sheds on off-market days (live music in the summertime?).

Another good model is the farmer's market in Montreal's Little Italy (Petite Italie), far from downtown but with a metro stop, stores inside the market as well as lined on its edges.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.