Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Conner Creek Greenway « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 918
Posted From: 216.78.52.253
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 9:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Greenway is breath of spring

Community groups take on landscaping, recreation project following Conner Creek's original path.

David Josar / The Detroit News
http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060226/M ETRO/602260338/1003

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 830
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This sounds like a group of folks taking initiative to make detroit better. I wonder what type of development will eventually spur off of this.

It would be great to see the plans to this and the entire area it will encompass

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 919
Posted From: 216.78.52.253
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Broken_main, here's a link that has some information on this project.
http://www.greenwaycollab.com/ CCGMP.htm

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 834
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks Detroitman...As I am looking at the plans for this, I am also looking at prints of the Conners Creek original path is. It looks like this will only enhance the area. I really like this plan.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 69.14.26.135
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The City of Warren is looking at a connection to the Conner Creek Greenway to continue it north to the Red Run.

Some of us have also pushed for a trail along the Red Run corridor from Royal Oak to Freedom Hill (along the Metropark bike path.) The last I knew, Madison Heights was on board. Warren backed off due to some public opposition, but I suspect it'll come back around eventually, especially as the Red Run (and Bear Creek) water quality improves.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 777
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is great!!!!! Our city needs more things like this to happen. Since our pathetic city government is not going to help fix anything, people need to take it into their own hands.

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 533
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Sunday, February 26, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cycling from the Detroit River around and back to the Lake at Metro Beach would be a great bike ride. However, how would Warren connect to a path that ends at 8 Mile and Conner?

I'm still waiting for the connector from Metro to Stoney Creek.

Fishtoes2000
Username: Fishtoes2000

Post Number: 76
Posted From: 69.14.26.135
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I could be wrong, but I don't think any formal plannig has been done. Some estimated routing is probably in the Macomb County trails master plan.

There was talk of using MacArthur Blvd and the ITC powerline right-of-way between Hoover and Schoenherr.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 732
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Monday, February 27, 2006 - 3:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fishtoes pretty much got it right.

the city of warren recently received a grant from the communtiy foundation for southeast michigan to complete the pre-engineering for the proposed connection.

the macomb co trail master plan does show what fishtoes described above. where the connection actually takes places still depends greatly on where the conner creek trail intersects 8 mile.

the two options include following connor creek road up to 8 mile, or branching off and following the property line of the city of detroit pumping station next to the shopping center. the trail will then require an improved intersection directly where it hits eight mile,or it will proceed west to cross at van dyke, then jutt back east to macarthur.

the plan is then to follow macarthur to stephens, proceed east to the city of warren engineering/public works complex, cut north along the property line, and dump in to the ITC Transmission corridor and eventually intersect the freedom trail at metro parkway.

when it happens this will be a huge addition to the regional trail network. warren is working closely with the city of detroit, connor creek trailway, and nortown community developemnt corp to make sure it happens.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.