Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Toby's Bar « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 724
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a place called Toby's Bar on Michigan at Cecil. It's closed now, but does anyone know anything about it?

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most non-Mexican or Puerto Rican bars near there or on Vernor are closed or have little biz. There's (or was) a gay bar somewhere near there. But it might be the Alaska bar or something, east of Central.

Don't go that way much, though. I'll ask my next-door neighbor. He knows all the bars, but doesn't hit them anymore.

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1716
Posted From: 66.2.148.231
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Toby's was for sale, appears to be sold.
Barnesfoto has been to the Alaskan in years past, with his friends who used to own Casa de Espana...
The most unique thing about the Alaska/aka Alaskan Homestead was a rail behind the bar on which a motorized bar stool, operated by a foot pedal, allowed the bartender to move from one end of the bar to the other without standing up.
Sorry about the run-on sentance.
Oh yeah, there is also a huge mural of...Alaska.
The gay bar is called RR and I believe caters to the cowboy/leather crowd.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.