Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » New windows (metro area) « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 12.159.32.66
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my house needs new windows. anyone have experiences with any of the local window companies?
Wallside
Hansons
Majic (with the commercials where Mort Crim had that hideous mustache)
Andersen
any others i haven't heard of?

i live in farmington, so they need to service my area. thanks for your help guys!

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2759
Posted From: 136.181.195.65
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've only heard bad things about Hanson's.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 785
Posted From: 68.255.239.171
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

pella. don't know much about them, but they donated all the new windows to the school of architecture at u of d mercy.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 199
Posted From: 68.73.197.27
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pella's factory is on Haggerty just north of Maple.

They're not cheap, but they make great windows.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5572
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to the Home Show and gathered info from all of the window replacement booths. I had three of them come over to give me quotes and eventually chose TailorMade in Eastpointe for these reasons:

1. They had a range of colors available. I went with "ivory," a nice cream that looks great on my red brick house. I was surprised at the number of places that only offer white windows.

2. TailorMade does two-colored windows. Mine are white on the inside, cream-colored on the out. A lot of places won't do two-colored, or, if they do, charge a lot more.

3. Pricing was good. More than Wallside, but tons less than Pella and Anderson.

Their installation is something else. A monsterous truck pulls up in front of my house at 8:00 a.m.and 10 guys get out. They had my old windows out by 11:00 and the new ones in by 6:00 p.m. They removed every scrap of the old stuff and left no debris at all.

I don't mean to sound like a cheerleader, but I'm very happy with the product and have no problem recommending TailorMade.

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5573
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:05 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh. One negative about TailorMade. They don't make their own windows. They order from a factory in Canada. It took about 3 or 4 weeks to get my windows installed.

I will say that,after 6 years, the windows are still efficient.

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 67.37.213.65
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I used Cadillac window on 8 mile. They carry the major brands. I personally selected Marvin windows since I needed wood exterior and wood interior.

Their installation people were excellent and the product was perfect.

I recommend them to anyone.

Downtown_dave
Username: Downtown_dave

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jtw, Mulligan Windows is in your neighborhood on 8 Mile between Farmington and Merriman. They have served our condo complex well and present a good range of products at a fair price. We had two windows replaced and the specs were pretty tricky. When the installation fit was not exactly as we expected in the room interiors, they remedied a solution to our satisfaction at no additional cost. Let me know if you’d like a referral to their sales guy.

Oliverdouglas
Username: Oliverdouglas

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.209.175.19
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If money is not the primary factor, then Marvin, Pella, or Andersen - particularly if yours is an older home where Wallside et al would look cheap.

Nativegirl
Username: Nativegirl

Post Number: 56
Posted From: 136.1.1.101
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wish I hadn't used Wallside. But oh well. I have a huge (over 10 ft across) picture window that I did not have done b/c of the cost. I guess I can try the companies listed above for a quote.

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2761
Posted From: 136.181.195.65
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was wrong with Wallside, nativegirl?

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 282
Posted From: 69.209.134.126
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hansons is bad news indeed

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 931
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I recommend Mulligan too. The higher-end Republic window they use is a very good product.

Wallside and Hansons are junk.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 455
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I articles I have read state that the installation of the windows themselve is the most important factor.
I have Wallside vinyl windows. Installation was great. The only issue that I have with them is that the thinkness of the frame reduces the amount of glass surface and the brass rollers in the sliding windows I have leave a black mark on the plastic.
The windows are easy to remove and clean. There customer service is good.
If noise is an issue then closely at the thinkness of the glass. The thinker the better for insulating against sound!

Meadows
Username: Meadows

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 65.41.212.206
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I put Wallside windows on a couple of rental properties that I still own in Detroit. The installation was prompt and professional. They went about their business expeditiously and cleaned up after themselves. They get two thumbs up from me.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 12.15.1.161
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had all of my windows replaced by Wallside about 18 months ago. Windows look great and the service was great. I couldn't beat their price, and I couldn't do it myself for the price they did it. My natural gas usage in the winter is almost 30% less than in the prior year. I highly recommend Wallside

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 657
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 2:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I need to replace 40 windows. I need them to look like oak inside and the outside would need to be colored to match the house.

I haven't even begun to get quotes or make inquiries as I have a feeling we're still a few years away.

Can anyone even give me an idea as to how much I'll have to pay based on their experience? $5000? $10000? More?

Troy
Username: Troy

Post Number: 159
Posted From: 67.37.213.65
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My marvin windows (wood/wood),tilt in, low E, argon filled were on average $800 a window installed. This did not include casings or jambs. I did all that work since many internal walls were not built yet. Everything is custom made to size so you will not get a discount based on a standard size window. I had to replace 14 windows and it was a big hit but I am glad I did it. The detroit historical commision has recommendations for window suppliers as well.

If you go wallside or simular you will be standard sizes at probably $300 a window.

Jtw
Username: Jtw

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 12.159.32.66
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 5:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks everyone for the input....i have a ranch house with about 10 regular-sized windows to be replaced, and a giant living room window that angles out and up, which i may or may not replace. money is not really the problem (unless it's outrageous); i just want it done right and done without hassles.

i'll look up a few of the ones you've all mentioned - mulligan, marvin, andersen, etc.

no one has anything to say about Mort Crim's mustache commercials??

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 317
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I`ve been researching windows the last couple of weeks and plan on getting new windows soon ..Marvins are great windows but the ones I`ve seen I like the best are milgards ..If your doing this to lower your fuel bills you would also want to look at single hung windows there are more energy efficient and cheaper in price then the double hung window

Eric_c

Post Number: 659
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<<<< Historic Home Snob speaks.

...they're also ugly as sin on certain houses. You can always tell when an old house was remodeled on a tight budget. Prarie style-four-square with single-hungs, indeed! :-)

Eric_c

Post Number: 660
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<<<< Historic Home Snob speaks again.

...then again, I'm the asshole staring at $30,000 in windows square in the face!

Ddaydave

Post Number: 318
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the single hungs I looked at you couldn`t tell the difference between them and the double hung windows.
A lot of people that live near open fields that get more wind use them because the top window not having to open is sealed all the way around it which makes the top window 100% airtight which makes it more energy efficient..the quality of the window isn`t determand by if its single hung or double hung ..there are a lot of junk double hung windows out there ..the double hung window is easier to clean but to me being more energy efficient is more important

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 1333
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just finished with several Milgard 4-panel sliders along with some other custom sizes of all sorts - pictures, etc. Excellent products, but factory rep warned that even the best installers must have their feet held to the fire. The few issues that needed correcting were done promptly, and the factory rep showed up several times just to make sure.

I have other older windows (Pellas and Andersons) all are very satisfactory. However, for current project was warned by several firms that Anderson has not been standing behind warranty claims lately, and quality has fallen off. Too bad because they always seemed to be the Caddy of the industry. Pella is still great but very expensive.

Home Depot is one dealer, would not recommend as the installers are pot-luck. Work with a specific dealer who have their own installers.

Username: 7051

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 70.230.228.187
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 4:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I've been replacing windows for 5 years now with windows made by Kelly Windows on Dexter near Bates Academy. He's been in Detroit for almost 30 years and they make their own wood and vinyl windows. 95% of their stock is sold to contractors but he will sell to homeowners. Ask for 45% off his retail prices (the contractors receive this and he gives it to homeowners). If you are not a do-it-youselfer, ask him about installation at the 45% off rate. I was going to install my own aluminum clad(black), wood, casement w/mullion windows but I couldn't justify my time with his installation prices. I used casement windows on the front of my house to keep the same historic look when the windows were open. On the sides and back of the house I have been using the same alum. clad, wood w/mullion windows, but with an awning style opening mechanism which saves about 35-40% over casement windows. It costs me about $700 per window installed with the awning option vs. $900 on the casement style. When closed, these awning windows look like a casment window.

Other wood window installers were in the $1,100-$1,250 per window for my windows.

Noggin
Username: Noggin

Post Number: 51
Posted From: 71.227.102.104
Posted on Sunday, March 05, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have had great luck with these folks located in East Pointe. They do the install, clean up after themselves, and are not high pressure sales. I used them because I needed the lead color deviders and nobody seemed to offer them. They had some other historic windows that I thought were awsome.

http://www.tailormadewindows.c om

Michigansheik
Username: Michigansheik

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 69.242.214.54
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

weathergard has a good vinyl window and i've used them twice with good performance and price. but you can't beat the quality of a pella or anderson if you're budget and neighborhood can make that happen. if getting a colored vinyl window make sure it's not painted color but molded color.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 804
Posted From: 69.221.72.241
Posted on Monday, March 06, 2006 - 1:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I moved into a '50s ranch where they'd put Hansen windows in. I have to say, my heating costs are half what they were in my previous, smaller house...I love that.

The previous homeowner didn't replace the large picture window in the front, maybe for cost reasons. Will it look strange if I go with a Pella?

When a piece of the hardware on one window needed replacing Hansen came right out, lifetime guarantee goes to the new owner too. And they fixed a screen while they were here.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 66.238.170.31
Posted on Wednesday, March 08, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I nearly bought windows from Majic Windows. The salesman was pretty aggressive, but we went ahead and signed up with them. We reconsidered and pulled out of the contract the next day (we had something like 48 hours until the contract was set in stone). The salesman was an a-hole when we backed out, and even though we even wrote his boss a nice letter about him since we felt bad--I wish I had never written it now--he never thanked us at all for it.
I trust their windows, but thanks to the a-hole salesman, I will NEVER do any business with them.

Dnvn522
Username: Dnvn522

Post Number: 98
Posted From: 204.24.64.25
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My in-laws are currently having a warrenty nightmare with Anderson. They have a couple of casements that are only 3 years old, but are closing very difficult (which may be installation)and the wood layer on the outside is starting to warp in spots. They are still being run in circles.

Ddaydave

Post Number: 325
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I`ve looked at windows all over town and from what I`ve seen look at windows at a place that is more into selling them for the do it yourselfers with a large selection of windows there more likly to give you an honest opinion on quality and value the places that are more into installing them have pushy sellsmen and only want to push the window they make in there factory .;..many of these places want to sell a cheap window and install them as fast as possible and move on to the next house ..as for me I`m going with the milgard windows but I also liked the hurds and marvins ..

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 142
Posted From: 206.208.94.60
Posted on Thursday, March 09, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I work for Stock Building Supply in Birmingham and we are a distributor for Jeldwen Windows. http://jeld-wen.com

They have numerous lines of windows that are available in various species and styles.

If you have any questions or want to get a price give me a call; we have a forumer discount!

Aaron Bussey
248-644-3636

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.