Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » NEW river WEST development project « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Easydoesit
Username: Easydoesit

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 69.246.122.172
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 1:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now, we all know about the GM River East devlopment project, but it seems to be a River West development project. I was on yahoo search on detroit projects and i stumbled across this website: http://www.islandesign.com/arc hitecture/detroit_riverfront_h ousing.htm.
I don't know if these rendereings are just propsals or if they are really going to happen, but it seems like a pretty legit site. It appears to describe, in detail, how the high rise housing will be rendered. They are described to be placed exactly west of the Riverfront Towers. There is also supposed to be water from the Detroit river running at an arc like stream below the apartments.
- once you get there be sure to click the "next page" tab under the paragraphs to see more pictures.

**also be sure to slick on the purple "architecture" tab on the left side of the page to see what other projects have been rendered **

there is also a photo book of the IN DETAIL renderings of the River West project such as where it is to be placed, etc. Here it is: http://ltu.islandarchitecture. com/
-- once you get there, scroll down to page 22. that's where all the fun starts about the river west development

for all the lazy heads that don't want to visit the site above, I have a couple of pictures from it.

http://i47.photobucket.com/alb ums/f175/piaget121212/context1 .jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/alb ums/f175/piaget121212/untitled .jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/alb ums/f175/piaget121212/46.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/alb ums/f175/piaget121212/69.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/alb ums/f175/piaget121212/63.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/alb ums/f175/piaget121212/d05235f7 .jpg

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 231
Posted From: 69.212.226.166
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you just acting dumb? This is a student thesis project.

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 511
Posted From: 69.14.248.252
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks interesting. I'd like to see public access to the waterfront. It's hard to tell from the models if it would be there or not - ala the east riverfront.

I like the idea of modern designs on the west riverfront - fits in nicely with what's there from the Ren Cen west.

Iddude313
Username: Iddude313

Post Number: 12
Posted From: 70.230.13.2
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really like the screws as trees!

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 815
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 2:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, me too..I thought they were push pins myself

Easydoesit
Username: Easydoesit

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.246.122.172
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 4:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

at Futurecity: it was just an assumption that it would be a future project, jackass.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1474
Posted From: 70.236.187.104
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 6:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the forum, Easydoesit. We here at the forum are an eclectic bunch. Try not to take anything that's thrown at you too personal. You have folks on here that can't wait to tear into fresh meat. Well, Easydoesit, you are fresh meat.

At any rate, the plans you have provided us do appear to be an architect student's thesis. I do appreciate the links you have provided us, and the work itself is thought provoking. I think the student did an excellent job presenting his or her thesis.

Personally, I like the structure of the buildings presented in the main concept. Ironically, among the four concepts presented, it's not one of them. (Out of those I prefer concept #4). I don't, however, care for the river jutting into the property in the main concept. There's enough river where the river is. No need to bring it any closer to the people.

I have long envisioned a neighborhood look to that part of the riverfront with low-rise brownstones/townhomes facing the river, and a one-way street paralleling the Riverwalk. The brownstones/townhomes would only encompass four units per building as to provide space between the buildings to still provide views of the river from West Jefferson. These spaces would be side streets for visitors to park on. Given how much space is left, there might be room for a second row of brownstones facing West Jefferson.

This project would never happen because it wouldn't be dense enough for a developer, but it would surely be great for the folks who could afford living in such a manner.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 34
Posted From: 69.246.43.231
Posted on Wednesday, February 22, 2006 - 8:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Royce, I disagree with your assessment of the river diverting into the property. I think Detroit should divert parts of the river into that area. A nice winding river would be more intimate and manageable for recreation than the large river with boats and waves. Part of it could also be like what they have in Munich, a constant wave to surf on.

http://www.juicemagazine.com/M UNICHSURFOPENRIVERSURF.html

Futurecity
Username: Futurecity

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 69.220.233.52
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Easydumbit: No, you posted it like it was a real project. Is it your project? (funny how it was your first post). Are you looking for attention? Are you a senior at LTU?

Why not post it as it is - as a thesis project. Lots of us would like to take a look at it.

And jackass yourself, punk.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1480
Posted From: 70.236.187.104
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 1:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I don't know if these renderings are just proposals or if they are really going to happen..." - Easydoesit 2-22-06

Futurecity, this sounds like Easydoesit wasn't absolutely sure if this was real or not. Why you wanted to attack a first-time poster is beyond me? However, remember you started with the name calling first. So, don't get upset that Easydoesit responded the way he/she did. You deserved it, but now it's time to be an adult and move on.

Dove7
Username: Dove7

Post Number: 2016
Posted From: 24.5.195.127
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who gives a fuck if it is his project or isn't. you are taking shit like that serious? gotta be kidding me. this site aint owned by you and he's not obligated to you nor does he or she have to explain.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 590
Posted From: 70.233.4.107
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

too many people on hear are complete asses. if its real sure its good if it not its a great fantasy. but why must everyone be a dick

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 443
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is some sharp designing though. Very modern and such.

Crew
Username: Crew

Post Number: 844
Posted From: 146.9.52.21
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, you crack me up :-)

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Do you really want to block the vista of the riverfront, and Windsor with that phalanx of buildings?. That has been a huge criticism of many Detroit projects, and has finally been addressed with the E. riverwalk project.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 591
Posted From: 70.233.4.107
Posted on Thursday, February 23, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks im great at post when i just get home from the bar.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.