Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Your advice for a foreign visitor to Detroit? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Global_village
Username: Global_village

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 139.168.120.246
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What would be your best advice? (And don't say "avoid the place!")

Best areas? Worst areas? Places to stay away from?

I wish to photograph the Detroit ruins for some magazine features and, being a hockey player, I would like to see a few Red Wings games.

I'll leave the Rolex at home, but what else do I need to know? I'm sure I'll get some replies - you guys defintely have strong opinions, even if you are a little more abrupt with one another than people on most of the forums I visit.

Thanks in advance.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3572
Posted From: 68.42.168.34
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I wish to photograph the Detroit ruins for some magazine features and,

I'll start the abruptness. Detroit is more than ruins and that angle is well over worn. Try something fresh.

If you want to retread old stories while you are here, do the whole Lafayette Park angle. Get two stories out of one trip.

A fresh angle would be to explore new ideas of adaptive reuse of vacant land and whether there are any fresh, on the ground ideas. Go visit Greening of Detoit and look at some of their ideas to start.

Bring the Rolex, just don't flash it in Brightmoor.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1037
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...well that just about covers everything. Great post, Skulker.

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 69.14.179.212
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was a classy post Global_village...and by "classy" I really mean "pompous, smug, presumptuous, and supercilious"

East_detroit
Username: East_detroit

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 69.212.169.194
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 12:44 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"I'll leave the Rolex at home..."

This isnt some prison state, "mate." "Put another shrimp on the barbie!"

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 588
Posted From: 68.79.115.240
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 12:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Exactly I had friends from Germany here to visit and they loved it here(never been before). My German friends didnt give a rats ass about lafayette park to them it looked like their cities ghettos. They liked fisher building, greektown, avalon bakery, the bronx bar, canfield street, WSU area, the view from windsor, people mover(even though they thought it was a waste). They also liked Ferndale and royal oak. The thing they liked the most was the people they met even, strangers. The thing they hated the most was the food, and lack of pedestrians, saftey.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downtown Detroit is relatively safe, but many of the abandoned buildings are NOT! I would recommend contacting one of the local "urban explorers" and arrange to follow along for a day. Just offer to buy drinks or lunch and I'm sure you'll find someone to tag along with.
Most everyone here has the illusion that Detroit gets a bad rap, but in all honesty it is not a "safe" town. It is what it is, but it's getting better and is definitely worth the visit.

(Message edited by Johnnny5 on February 20, 2006)

Global_village

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 1:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's all about education. I can assure you that Detroit's ruins are not "well over worn" in sunny Australia, although I bow to your superior local knowledge on these matters.

A quick Google of Lafayette Park revealed nothing of any great significance. The good, the bad and the ugly of any city's housing estates would be of equal or better significance. Paris or funky Amsterdam's, by a long shot.

Greening of Detroit may be worth a mention in terms of local efforts and turnaround, but green stories can be equally as over worn in contemporary times, although admirable.

Thanks for your interest in shrimps, mate, but they're actually called prawns, here. Where have you been getting *your* information?

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 282
Posted From: 69.242.220.249
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 1:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Way to welcome a potential tourist.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1810
Posted From: 4.229.150.7
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 2:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelworker, I have to laugh about your comments about Lafayette Park. I took 2 busloads of German visitors thru downtown (35 of them in 2001, 33 in 2005). And they too could care less about Lafayette Park. Telling them that Mies Van Der Rohe (a German) designed much of it didn't impress them either. They said he produced a lot of architecture in Germany that they didn't much care for either.

But they went bananas over the interior of the Guardian Building as well as the Fox (the 2001 group got in to that as well). Their most lasting comment to me was how could something as mundane as a movie house be so spectacular.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3132
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Owzit it going mate? She'll be apples.

Look for some good looking Bloomin' Sheilas, mate. We got them here.

Are you dinky die Ozzie or some kinda poser?

Mate, get ready to defend that awful piece of car called Capri you built in Ford Melbourne.

Call it a pickup truck mate, no utes here.

Visit our car legacies; Ford Piquette Plant, Ford Highland Park Plant, Ford Rouge Complex, Packard site, Henry Ford Museum, Walter Chrysler Museum, Ford's Greenfield Village.

Be sure to visit the Detroit Institute of Arts and Diego Rivera Murals of the 1930s Ford Rouge Plant al fresco in the museum.

"Hitsville", the Motown Museum on W. Grand Blvd. will be a highlight too. Mate, certainly you're hip to Motown music downunder.

Enjoy Detroit. She'll be right!

For skylines, try the Top of the Renaissance Center, views from Windsor, Canada, and views from our island park in Detroit River, Belle Isle.

jjaba, Westside Detroiter who adores Oz.

Global_village

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 3:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I'm dinky di. I live in Sydney, Australia.

I would love to see Detroit, but when I mentioned it to a girl from Detroit (she was travelling in Australia) all she said was:

"You wanna visit Detroit? Uh, why?!?"

Yes, I can turn a dollar from my photos and stories about places I visit, but that's not my only priority. Most people go on vacation to pretty places. I like to go to interesting places.

By the way, what you call a pick-up truck, we call a 'Ute'. (It's short for utility van.)

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5536
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some reading for the girlfriend:

http://tinyurl.com/roynl

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5306
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh the nerve of someone coming to "The Fabulous Ruins of Detroit" and asking about them.

/sarcasm.

Seriously, there are still tons of ruins here, thing are much better, but why attack someone for asking an honest question?

Barnesfoto
Username: Barnesfoto

Post Number: 1706
Posted From: 66.2.148.29
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a significant number of ruins have been cleared in the last 6 months...
But not to worry, we still have more.
I highly reccomend a visit to Delray, which is kind of what the outside world imagines Detroit to be.
There is a fairly photogenic burned out factory near Livernois and Buchanan.
The obligitory shot for out of town photogs used to be Brush Park Ruins with Downtown skyline in the background, and a bum walking through the space between two crumbling houses.
Someone mentioned Brightmoor, I say don't bother with it.
But if you want scary, try Chene and Ferry...
(no poetry intended).

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 502
Posted From: 68.61.98.175
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 11:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Drive down Atwater (runs paralell to the river) and see the old warehouses and cement silos while they are still there. Parts of the river area are finally being reclaimed, it's a very interesting time. From Stroh Place to the Renissance Center. Go to Pewabic Pottery while you're down there and buy some beautiful tiles for your family. You'll be next to Indian Village, the houses are very beautiful and stand in stark contrast to houses just blocks away.

Go to Mexican Town, one of the most vital parts of the city. Stop by the Matrix Theater, say hi to Shaun, maybe help make a puppet. Have some blood sausage at Bailie Corcegh (or however you spell it) or some barbecue at Slow's (trust me, it is slow). Buildings coming down, other ones being polished.

It's upsetting and embarassing to have people come to our city just to gloat over the blight. The real story is what is rising from those ruins. We can be touchy.

Make sure you visit the Detroit Institute of Arts to see the Diego Rivera murals. Spectacular.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6787
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 11:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It's upsetting and embarassing to have people come to our city just to gloat over the blight. The real story is what is rising from those ruins. We can be touchy.

Sums it up perfectly. It is not that we don't want tourists. We do and most of us would go out of our way to do anything we can to make the visit great.

The unfortunate thing is that the city is more than ruins. There are 900,000 people here, many struggle day to day, many are working to make the place better and we are continually portrayed in the tired clicke of highlighting ruins and nothing else.

We are a proud city (some not as proud) and anyone that wants to do a story on only the ruins could do goodle Detroit+ruins and find more than enough info.

The buildings may be ruins, the people cretainly are not. When will that angle be shown in mass media.

Vas
Username: Vas

Post Number: 489
Posted From: 69.129.66.130
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't worry about the hostility of some folks on this forum, they wish to rule this area rather then assist.

Lowell, the esteemed creator and manager of this site has documented many if not all of the important ruins of detroit, take a look at the rest of the site.

I like your comment on where you vacation. Detroit isn't known as a spot for entertainment, while debateable, what isn't is that Detroit is an educational attraction. So enjoy yourself and attempt to answer its conundrum of racism, capitalisim, industrialization, violence and musical excelence. It is a city of churches and liquour stores, of altruisim and murder....try to figure it out.

Visiting the neighborhoods further away from downtown (with the exception of some border neighborhoods with the suburbs) is the most dangerous. Most other areas are about the same, keep your chin up, act like you're ready to throw down and go about your business.

Pay no head to the scragglers and winos, there are a plenty. The worst they'll do is accost you for change, don't get in the habbit of always giving them money or you'll be broke.
Do watch out for the younger thugs traveling in pairs or more, who are walking very quickly your way. The ones that look like they're about to run up on you. Just scope the street at all times.

later skater

Jjaba

Post Number: 3139
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit is straight away fair dinkum dealers.
Dinky di, enjoy the whole package. On another thread under Photo du Jour, Andrew in Windsor talks about Fisher Bldg. If you like the Art Deco, walk the district, inside and outside.

jjaba loves a Sidneysider. Call us Detroiters.
Our state is Michigan and we are Michiganders.
Save some time to drive "Up North", into Michigan.
We are proud of the scenery.

If you rent a car, be sure to ask for an American car. Some folks don't like those Asian-European vehicles around here. Get one with the steering wheel on the left. Be careful when you step onto the streets. LOOK LEFT!

jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 119
Posted From: 148.61.248.170
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 9:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd suggest coming in the summer, since there are more events going on. At the very least everything will be greener and cleaner (garbage that was once trapped in the snow is right on the ground after it melts).

The museums are good too, and I'm sure information about them will be included on any tourist brochures you pick up.

At car rental places, there should be a special package that gives you bullet proof windows and a choice from a selection of machine guns. It comes with ammo, but make sure to buy more, since you'll need every bullet you can get when you're shooting down the hoards of gangsters that want to kill you (and everyone you've ever loved) during a high speed car chase. The only safe part of the city is Fort Renaissance, which was designed to withstand nuclear bombs, airplanes, and black people, in the event that it encounters any of those three threats... Just kidding :-)

One thing that might make an interesting story is the contrast in the city. One of the poorest areas in the US borders one of the richest areas in the US in the cities east side. There is also a contrast between downtown, and some of the areas immediatly around downtown, as well as the city as a whole, and its suburbs as a whole. I think something like that could show both the good and the bad of the city, as well as interesting. Maybe you could find some professors at a university in Detroit to interview. Or are you just a photographer?

Anyway, I'm sure you'll have a great time visiting, and there will be plently left to do for a second visit if you ever make one.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2707
Posted From: 70.236.188.103
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 9:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What the Hell?

No mention of the FSC?

Check Detroit Connections for dates and times. We'll even buy you a beer. You'll actually meet people in person that admit in public that they post here.

Global_village

Post Number: 6
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 1:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks. Overall, I do not want to mis-portray Detroit as a sorry spectacle or a has-been.

Lowell's photography captures the sad irony of the beauty that is going to waste in Detroit's abandoned buildings. (Several hundred abandoned mansions in Highland Park alone?!?)

Sadly, ultimately, I suspect that many of Detroit's grand old buildings will go under the wrecking ball. If businesses do not come forth to inhabit those buildings, they will go. I doubt your government will put up the money to restore what is probably privately-owned (albeit neglected) property.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 503
Posted From: 68.61.98.175
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 1:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome Global Village. If I see you, I'll buy you a beer.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1816
Posted From: 4.229.150.159
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 2:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Global Village, I would recommend:

1) Fox Theatre: World's largest surviving 1920's movie palace, 5,174 seats in a unbelievably opulent Siamese-Byzantine style.

2) Guardian Building: Arguably America's Premier Art Deco Bank Building. 40 stories and 535ft tall, this building is Art Deco during its most ornate phase called Zigzag Deco. A jaw dropping interior.

3) The remains of the Michigan Theatre: Arguably America's greatest indoor ruin, it soars 9 stories to an opulent French Renaissance ceiling above a 3 story parking structure. Eminem shot scenes from this cavernous space for the movie "8 Mile".

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1183
Posted From: 66.238.170.31
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Global,

Don't miss the Heidelberg Project:

http://www.heidelberg.org/

If you're looking for something unique on Detroit ruins, look no further. This is uniquely Detroit!

Jjaba

Post Number: 3150
Posted on Tuesday, February 21, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

jjaba has been to Kings Cross in Sydney.
Nothing in Detroit is that raunchy. You should be well-suited for our city.

Detroit has wonderful food. Order your Coney Island hot dogs loaded. Wonderful pizza, Greek, Italian, Jewish Delicatessen, Arab food, midwestern lakes fish, and soul food, the best outside of Memphis.
jjaba.

Global_village

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 2:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! I live down the road from Kings Cross (near Hyde Park and Oxford Street). Raunchy indeed!

Thanks for all the advice, guys. If I can handle Kings Cross, maybe I can handle just about anything.

Can't wait to get there.

Rasputin
Username: Rasputin

Post Number: 3500
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good ol' Yankee (learned) "abrupt"ness:

Spend Money
&
Go Back Home!

Black-atcha .....

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 788
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Friday, February 24, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...Ras is choke full of charm.

Innercity_detroit
Username: Innercity_detroit

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 4.165.45.1
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 6:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(1): I suggest to learn good english.(2): Don't talk in a foreign ebonics.(3):Don't go in the poor white/black areas after dark. (6): Be thankful that you visited Detroit after history was made. Finally: Make sure your rental car have insurance. Go across 8 mile to see the differences between cities.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 372
Posted From: 64.134.163.124
Posted on Tuesday, February 28, 2006 - 10:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wear something under your kilt dammit!

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 124
Posted From: 148.61.248.170
Posted on Wednesday, March 01, 2006 - 11:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Innercity_detroit, (1): He's from Australia, which speaks English, and, as you can read, he's been writing in English. (2): You mean a foriegn accent? Ebonics=Ebony Phonics="Black Speak" (3): Why did you need to add in "white/black"?

and yea, make sure to spend alot of money :-)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.