Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » No one wants to be from Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2336
Posted From: 199.74.87.131
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 4:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No one wants to say they are from Detroit. I actually sat with a Michigan State student yesterday at a national undergraduate conference here in Chicago who said that they were from Farmington Hills/Bloomfield Hills/Plymouth, Michigan. Keep in mind that every other student at the table said that they came from Los Angeles/Philadelphia/Miami/New York even though we knew personally that up to half came from suburban areas. I wanted to smack this student for acting so close-minded.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1451
Posted From: 70.236.187.104
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, Ltorivia, she is young and naive. Unless they live in Detroit, very few young suburbanites identify with the city. If they didn't grow up going to Hudson's downtown store, they probably won't identify themselves with being from Detroit.

Anyone 25 years old or younger has been so bombarded with the "us" versus "them" rhetoric from adults that they don't make a connection to the city. For most of their lives, everything that they've done has been outside the city. So naturally, if they're not from the city, haven't grown up doing things in the city, then they are not going to identify with the city.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 57
Posted From: 4.229.156.43
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 7:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, technically, if she is not actually from the City of Detroit, then saying so would be a lie. You assume she was being closed-minded. Maybe she was being specific.

Besides, I'd say that I'm from Auburn Hills (which I am). Not because I'm anti-Detroit (which I'm not) but because most people probably know where AH is (because of DaimlerChrysler and the Palace) and its location wouldn't need to be explained. I used to just say Detroit because it was easier than explaining where AH was. Of course, this probably doesn't apply so much to the situation you described.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 589
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This reminds me of some folks who are so pissed off over a cartoon.
Sometimes one can be a little too sensitive about things.
Why should you care where she says she's from? If you're from Detroit, say so with pride and be done with it.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 598
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would have burned her.. but that's just me.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 167
Posted From: 68.61.194.191
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 9:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the expatriots many folks from NY, LA Etc are somewhat familiar with the situation here. I have had this conversation more then once.
Me: "I am from Detroit"
? : "What City?"
Me : "Detroit"
?: "Yeah but what city?"

<<<<<- sometimes gives up

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 189
Posted From: 69.210.22.11
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 9:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee - maybe all those people who are from cities outside of Detroit are proud of their hometown and like where they are from. Would you expect someone who lives in a town 20 miles away from Flint to tell everyone he's from Flint? Should people in Holland claim to be from Grand Rapids?

Arab_guyumich
Username: Arab_guyumich

Post Number: 752
Posted From: 69.14.179.212
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We have this identical discussion every few weeks, and the same exact points are raised each time. I'm sure that the same can be said for many other discussion topics on this forum, but the "I'm not really from Detroit" threads are far less innovative and relevant.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9892
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny, I just returned from Florida where MANY commented they were from Detroit. I was wearing Detroit t-shirts most every day down there, got several comments on the "YES, I DO live in Detroit" and "Detroiter by Choice" shirts. Even those who don't comment smile when they see them. A few older couples on the beach called out "What's up Detroit?" as I walked passed, though ensueing conversation told they were from the suburbs, they still said Detroit initially. Last comment was from a kid at a gas station, probably all of 18 or so, whom had just moved down to Florida this past July he said. He too commented "Man, love that t-shirt!" Before I left he said he had just moved down from Detroit, though I assumed it was a suburb, he said Detroit.

The plane ride back had more than a few people representin' the D via their clothing. Saying you're from Detroit is the new cool/hip thing. LOL

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 80.135.15.186
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hell, I when people ask me from where I come- I say Michigan, then after the blank look falls over their eyes- I say Detroit. (though not really true- more west of Lansing) More people have heard of the city of Detroit than of Michigan! Say- where can I find one of those "Detroiter by Choice" T´s???? Maybe the fates will make it true one of these days.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2073
Posted From: 68.40.225.35
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I say I am from Detroit (I travel a lot for work) they usually say "actually from Detroit?" "Really?" "You actually live in the city?"...."Is it safe?" That is usually the extreme question often asked by Metro Detroiters.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 647
Posted From: 68.73.57.108
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

When I hear, "Is it safe?", my blood boils.

Paulmcall
Username: Paulmcall

Post Number: 592
Posted From: 68.40.119.216
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You get instant street cred when you say you are from Detroit.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 893
Posted From: 204.39.224.139
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shark,

quote:

Would you expect someone who lives in a town 20 miles away from Flint to tell everyone he's from Flint?

Why not I do? I mean if I told everyone I was from Swartz Creek they would have no clue what I was talking about. Or before when I lived in Durand or Montrose nothing but blank stares so I just started saying Flint because I hate explaining the same thing several times. It is just a lot easier. I had to resort to the hand thing when I lived in Rogers City and then say about an hour south of Mackinaw City.

It is just a convenience thing.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1455
Posted From: 70.236.187.104
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about, "I live in Farmington Hills, a suburb of Detroit, Michigan."

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 294
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 1:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Been in Las Vegas for 22 years, and always said "Detroit" in response to the "Where" question.

But in July I'll be moving to suburban Henderson. Wonder what I'll say in response to the question then? Probably "Las Vegas" to the outsiders.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1783
Posted From: 69.47.101.255
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even though I wasn't born here,the fact that I live here- I still tell people I'm from Detroit. It's NOW my home. It's only something to be ashamed of if you really don't have any pride in the place you call home... but that's an individual issue. I don't think (or is it HOPE) that it's not a prevailing overall attitude by people in the area.

Michikraut
Username: Michikraut

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 80.135.15.186
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gotta love the hand thing! only us Michiganders can do the hand thing!

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 24.176.50.206
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gumby - How long did you reside in Rogers City? I was a resident in the neighboring suburbs for most of my life, just curious.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 68.76.49.74
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Or before when I lived in Durand or Montrose nothing but blank stares so I just started saying Flint because I hate explaining the same thing several times.

When I lived in Durand, I always said that's where I was from, and then explained that it is right inbetween Flint and Lansing. Personal preference I guess! :-)

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2699
Posted From: 70.236.185.123
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love the fact when you are out of town, when you tell someone "I'm from Detroit", they always step back and look you over.

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1208
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 5:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm with Paulmcall.

But, why lie. You should have to own up to the fact that you live in a crappy suburb. If someone hasn't heard of your suburb, then tell them its by Detroit, or, er, if you from northern Oakland county, tell them the truth, you're near FLINT.

Saying that your from a place other than Detroit doesn't hurt Detroit by itself. It's perfectly possible to represent Detroit well, in you attitude and in what you say about it. Typical case for me is that I tell people I don't live in Detroit but I pretty much live across the street from it and go there a lot. Many will say, "oh that's interesting, so what's new w/ Detroit," and I will tell them. Others, mostly people from Michigan, Ohio, and especially other suburbs, say, "oh, so you live close enough to get hit by the gunshots..." And they get a good education from me, too.

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 171
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Paulmcall :
You get instant street cred when you say you are from Detroit.

I have this fantasy:

Some Phoenix punk ricer angrily bitching: "Where the hell did you learn how to drive?!"

To which I calmly reply with that squinting, clenched-teeth Clint Eastwood look: "De-troit."

At which point he sheepishly slinks away. :-)

Hasn't happened yet but it sure would be cool.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1788
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think our Detroit-ness can be used as an asset here. This is a prime instance where that nationally perceived negativity can be used in a good way. My cousins think I'm a bad-ass because of my Detroit upbringing- it couldn't be farther from the truth, but every great while I use that to my advantage. So I say-- let them know we're Detroiters! If they fear us or admire us so be it!

Sarge
Username: Sarge

Post Number: 212
Posted From: 24.28.88.45
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My experience I guess was not typical. When I was in the military we had to go on some field ops. When I introduced myself to the rest of the group as being from Detroit, another Detroiter asked me where I lived. I told him I lived two houses north of 8 mile in between Coolidge and Greenfield. The guy bitched me out for 20 minutes, claiming I was trying to mislead people into believing I was from Detroit when my last address was in Oak Park!

Strider
Username: Strider

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 64.136.27.228
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're in MI, it makes sense to provide your actual location. If not, I do believe we should all say we are from Detroit, whether actually within city limits or not.

If we are ever to have true regional collaboration, it starts with changing that ever-shifting but oh so important State we call the State of Mind.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3127
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Michikraut, every kid in 4th grade studies State Capitals. Everybody in the USA knows Lansing. No sense posing as a Detroiter. We got enough problems.

jjaba, Westsider.

Missnmich
Username: Missnmich

Post Number: 479
Posted From: 70.186.39.150
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Most people have heard of Auburn Hills?

You sure about that?

(Message edited by missnmich on February 19, 2006)

Smogboy

Post Number: 1790
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the majority of people probably have never heard of Auburn Hills outside of the NBA broadcasters saying where The Palace is.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 4.229.156.191
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Most people have heard of Auburn Hills?

NBA fans, anyway. And those who recall the Palace Brawl.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1807
Posted From: 4.229.72.180
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have to agree, most people outside of Michigan probably don't know most of the Detroit suburbs. Even Dearborn, home of Ford is probably not that well known outside the state.

The best known Detroit suburb (and this is only a guess) might be Grosse Pointe.

In my travels in Europe (UK, France, Germany, Austria, Italy) most Europeans don't know Michigan. But they all seem to know Detroit, and not for its' problems, but for it being the worlds auto capital, and the music legacy.

Cheddar_bob
Username: Cheddar_bob

Post Number: 433
Posted From: 69.246.74.205
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 8:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I tell people I live downtown Flint. Then I shoot them.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1517
Posted From: 64.148.229.174
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 9:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LMAO, C_B!!!

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3573
Posted From: 68.42.168.34
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But in July I'll be moving to suburban Henderson....

ROFLMAO...I have a friend that grew up in Henderson in the 70s and 80s...This friends favorite magazine is Vanity Fair and Henderson's big mention in VF is a story is about Keanu Reeves. It starts off with a vignette of Keanus band playing at a bar in Henderson, which is described as " a place where irony goes to die".

My friend is still angry about this four years later....good luck in Henderson.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 298
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 11:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL, Skulker! Yeah, it'll be nice to get a little bit away from the noise and hubbub of Vegas proper. Here's the model of the house we're having built.
house

Smogboy

Post Number: 1795
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's that green thing in front of the house? Is that an honest to goodness lawn they're trying to cultivate in the Vegas heat??

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3574
Posted From: 68.42.168.34
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 11:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Congrats Ray, I hope you and the family enjoy the new house and have long happy lives there with great memories....I just can't help but laugh at my poor friend and their reaction to the article. I have seen pictures of Henderson in 1979 and it is a very different place when I was there in 2003. Best wishes on the new house! Thanks for checking in on us from so far away.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3134
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 2:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has a great reputation outside of the slimy circle of suburban Detroiters who take pride in the putdowns, the hate, and the rumors of crime, grime, and ruins.

Truth is, every one of them has family who built Detroit, built the culture, and immigrated there.
There's a lost generation of suburbanites whose kids are now returning to either live in Detroit or appreciate its legacies.
Now Flint or Pontiac, that's another story.

jjaba, Proudly Westside, LOL.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.