Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » MSU report: Michigan sees 50% jump in racially-segregated schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 216.111.89.3
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ttp://www.mlive.com/news/statewide/i ndex.ssf?/base/news-7/11400018 4161110.xml&coll=1

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 700
Posted From: 69.246.119.28
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and the problem is.......?

super d(motordetroit)

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1816
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 1:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, no problem there. Black americans have always liked to attend their own schools.. Morehouse College, Tuskegee University.. and a bunch more.

Rock on charters.

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 646
Posted From: 68.21.62.206
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Interesting...not more than an hour ago a customer told me that he pulled his kids out of Redford H.S. and moved to Ann Arbor in the mid- seventies when DPS started integrating.

I asked him specifically what happened to prompt him to abandon his home of more than forty years. His answer was, "Nothing, but I wasn't going to wait around to find out what would."

I was very happy to take his dirty money.

Interestingly, one daughter moved to Boston, the other to Chicago. Good job, Dad!

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3713
Posted From: 141.217.174.223
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You should see what's going on at East Detroit High School at Gratiot Ave. and 9 mile Rd. The black population over there is over 35%, most of them came from Detroit. Even though they don't live at the East Detroit(Eastpointe)/ Warren Consolidated School District. The School Board will continue to review those black students and their parents and guardians. For 2 years ago lot's of blacks who attend at East Detroit High School got kicked out for they were not living within the district.

(Message edited by danny on February 16, 2006)

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3195
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 7:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a few areas that one could argue where it makes sense to divide along culturally or ethnic lines to preserve ones culture. Personally, I don't believe primary schools should be one of those areas, especially considering that a major part of school is suppossed to be preparing one for the real world, where things are rarely clear-cut, either/or situations. Dividing schools along gender lines have shown themselves to be no better than co-ed, and I think it's pretty well shown that segregating primary schools along race does little to fully enrich the student be they Black, White, or otherwise. Segregated schools didn't work during Reconstruction, and they aren't working much, now, IMO. I'm sure quite a few are going to parade out a few good examples, but the state of education in general, in this country for those urban areas is pretty bad, and this doesn't help.

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 239
Posted From: 4.229.75.71
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 2:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article confirms what I have suspected all along as far as charter schools are concerned. Look at Ferndale. The public schools are somewhat integrated since the district includes Royal Oak Township and parts of Oak Park. (Plus, Ferndale itself has some black residents.) But the Edison charter school on Woodward south of 9 Mile is all black. I've never seen any non-black kids there or at any other charter school.

For those interested in school segregation in the 21st century, I highly recommend Jonathan Kozol's new book "Shame of the Nation."

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3723
Posted From: 141.217.173.149
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Let's break this down for Detroit Public Schools vs. Suburban Schools:

Suburban Schools: excellent extra-cirricular activities, clean hallways, mostly white and ethnic kids, good teachers, fine PTA Meetings, most of them have college-prep courses. Most of the students score very well on their SAT, MEAP texts, fine schools lunches full of junk food.

Detroit Public Schools: unqualified teachers, metal detectors in every high schools, graffiti everywhere, dirty bathrooms with little or no sanitation, gang fights, shootings, better school lunch programs with mostly soul food, 80% African centered eduction, a very poor special education program. little or no PTA Meetings, but school board meetings are sometimes a no show, mostly black kids with little and no future ahead of them due to their peers in the ghettos, not enough college prep courses, so most of students will be ill prepared for college, lowest MEAP, SAT's and ACT scores in Michigan history, so DPS will get smaller grants.

Include that in the Shame of our Race.

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 760
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Unqualified teachers is something no public school can have any more because of No Child Left Behind. Each teacher has to meet certain criteria, this even trumps tenure laws. Teachers who are no qualified will have to either get the qualification, or the school district loses funding.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.