Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit and oakland ca., histrorical train stations « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dove7
Username: Dove7

Post Number: 1981
Posted From: 24.5.195.127
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 3:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A year ago I was driving on 80 west heading into my home in Berkeley Ca. On the over pass I looked down and noticed this building that has a uncanny resemblence to the Michigan Train Station in Detroit.

I decided to take a look at a building where time seem to just stop. The train tracks that are elevated several feet above ground no longer connected to the rest of the bay area, taking it's passengers to their destination.

I found out that it is a historical train station in Oakland. It's uncanny. It's like I'm having Detroit flash backs looking in a mirror. A city with a similar history and a train station that has fencing going around the entire property. I took some pictures on the outside and was fortunate enough to get inside.

There was a African American care taker of the porperty who lived there with a white guy. Unfortunately the two of them are no longer there making hard to get access. BUT, I found a way to get in. The owner is somewhat of a, I forgot how to spell the owners name of the station in Detroit. Anyways, the owner of the station is somewhat of a mirror image of this guy. He's controversial. He wants to tear the building down, but for the community it is a history where they can trace there roots and history from. Paticulary the African Americans.

For the African Americans, this station means alot to them. It is this station that has put many to work and has brought many from southern States who worked the trains and eentually settled in the Oakland area duing it's peak.

Here's an aticle that I found. And i'll post some pictures that I took of the station. and you tell me, if this ain the mirror image of the Michigan station both design wise, history and controversy.

A year ago I was driving on 80 west heading into my home in Berkeley Ca. On the over pass I looked down and noticed this building that has a uncanny resemblence to the Michigan Train Station in Detroit.

I decided to take a look at a building where time seem to just stop. The train tracks that are elevated several feet above ground no longer connected to the rest of the bay area, taking it's passengers to their destination.

I found out that it is a historical train station in Oakland. It's uncanny. It's like I'm having Detroit flash backs looking in a mirror. A city with a similar history and a train station that has fencing going around the entire property. I took some pictures on the outside and was fortunate enough to get inside.

There was a African American care taker of the porperty who lived there with a white guy. Unfortunately the two of them are no longer there making hard to get access. BUT, I found a way to get in. The owner is somewhat of a, I forgot how to spell the owners name of the station in Detroit. Anyways, the owner of the station is somewhat of a mirror image of this guy. He's controversial. He wants to tear the building down, but for the community it is a history where they can trace there roots and history from. Paticulary the African Americans.

For the African Americans, this station means alot to them. It is this station that has put many to work and has brought many from southern States who worked the trains and eentually settled in the Oakland area duing it's peak.

Here's an aticle that I found. And i'll post some pictures that I took of the station. and you tell me, if this ain the mirror image of the Michigan station both design wise, history and controversy.

http://www.sfbayview.com/07210 4/trainstation072104.shtml

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1379
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dove --

Drop the lighter...put the pipe down slowly...don't worry about the jacket, it is here to protect you from yourself.

Eastsidechris
Username: Eastsidechris

Post Number: 75
Posted From: 66.238.170.51
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This one time...at band camp...
(sorry, had to do it)

Aiw
Username: Aiw

Post Number: 5301
Posted From: 209.216.150.127
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 3:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Uh, OK... I'll tell you it's nothing like the MCS design wise, history wise or controversy wise...

I cannot see a link other than they are both former train stations...

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1126
Posted From: 207.145.38.104
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

https://www.atdetroit.net/forum/mes sages/5/66333.html?1140024890

Dove7

Post Number: 1982
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dabirch,

we all know that your mother is out there messing with the crystal meth. So don't get angry and vent on me. you're in denial. I saw her on t.v. lastnight. Good report too. she went to already being fucked to even more fucked up.

Dove7

Post Number: 1983
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 4:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ummmm Andrew, unless you are just trying to be a wise asshole. Yeap. The controversy is there and just as strong as the one in Detoit. The article is just showing the inside, a little bit at that. The outside looks alot like the one in detroit.

Dove7

Post Number: 1984
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Machoken,

yeap I sure did posted this twice. So what.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 709
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dove just likes to be mentioned on Hotfudgedetroit

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1380
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

yeap I sure did posted this twice

Technical it is three posted different times, as it 2 times here posted, and then once the first time in the other thred.

But who's counting?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5524
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, Daburch, your mother just called. She said she needs more pseudo for the lab and that you should haul ass.

Mcnamara
Username: Mcnamara

Post Number: 32
Posted From: 204.22.230.98
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So tell me how this -

http://www.sfbayview.com/07210 4/trainstation072104.shtml

Looks at all any thing like this?

http://www.forgottendetroit.co m/mcs/01.htm

oh, maybe its in the other Detroit...

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 197
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 4:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe Dove is thinking about a train station in Torino....

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5525
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 5:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That'll be enough of picking on Dove 7. He made an observation. If you don't happen to share in it, so be it. But no need to berate the guy for having offered it in the first place.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8126
Posted From: 64.228.199.35
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 6:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree itsjeff. But that is the arrogance of the DetroitYes crowd nowadays. If you have an opinion that doesn't conform to the norm, you are attacked. If you offer something whether it be a discussion that has been discussed previously or a different viewpoint, the same BS occurs.

I guess some folks need to feel like they have some power in life...get a grip folks.

Now in all honesty, I don't see a resemblance other than a nice building with a vast open area left to rot. I guess this kind of thing is NOT unqiue to Detroit.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 884
Posted From: 141.216.1.4
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

look I am all for not ripping on someones opinion Goat but would you honestly say that these two stations are the mirror image of each other. Come on

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 401
Posted From: 69.209.187.90
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 7:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am going to back up what itsjeff and Goat said above ..... DetroitYes hasn't been the same due to all the rude and arrogant bs being the norm and ripping others is widely accepted.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2059
Posted From: 67.163.181.81
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 7:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

don't worry, I think dove can handle himself ...

Machoken
Username: Machoken

Post Number: 1127
Posted From: 68.85.155.145
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He shut me up.

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 339
Posted From: 69.221.79.80
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As one who has taken his fare share of drubbing from some in the crowd...you do have to say "how does this little thing compare to the MCS?"

Sorry Dave7, please feel free to beat me with the the others later.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1036
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dove7 is absolutely correct!!!

I submit the following proof!

Det 1

Det 2

Det 3

As a result of continuous postal mix-ups between Detroit, Minnesota and the better-known Detroit, Michigan, a special election was held on September 7, 1926 to change the city's name to Detroit Lakes. This befitting title has remained ever since.
http://www.visitdetroitlakes.com/relocation/community/history/

http://www.ci.detroit-lakes.mn.us/

Benjamin
Username: Benjamin

Post Number: 130
Posted From: 67.158.76.122
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Depends which point of veiw you're looking at the thing from.

Socially, the structures occupy a very similar role.

Architectually, aside from the classical echoes in both of them, the structures are very different.

One can be true without the other, you know.

Dove7

Post Number: 1989
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Oh my god people,

all of you sarcastic critics just can't take the time to read and see. Why? Because you didn't read it. you concluded that it isn't the trainstation out of nonsense. Let me show some of the jackasses the actual train station.

Btw,

take the blinders off and read the article slow and you'll see that all of the focus on the mini station isn't the same one that is displaying the inside of the actual station that I'm talking about.

Dove7

Post Number: 1990
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a photo that I found of the station before they put the fence up. It's bigger than what it appears in the picture. Much larger. The trucks in front of the building reminds me of the back of the station in Detroit with the trucks in the back. But the trucks and business have been gone for some years niw. It is fenced up like the station in Detroit.

I'll post the images that I took. Unfornately I deleted the images of the front of the station to show you are large and similar the design is to the Michigan station. But I do have some images that I photographed in the back of the station.

http://home.pacbell.net/mcsgro up/morebt/ceda.htm

Dove7

Post Number: 1991
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this forum reminds me of the michigan train topics discussed here.

http://www.thetravelforum.com/ showthread.php?t=256280&goto=n extnewest

Dove7

Post Number: 1992
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

protest.

http://www.indybay.org/news/20 04/07/1689958.php

http://www.indybay.org/uploads /central_station.mov

Mplsryan
Username: Mplsryan

Post Number: 129
Posted From: 24.26.164.215
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 4:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

meh, what it comes down too is..... similar beux arts design.....classic train station from the turn of the century. Terra cotta, arched windows etc. end thread.

Dove7

Post Number: 1993
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mplsryan,

I'll let that be my choice to end the thread. But we do agree with the similar styles. I attend to post the images that I took. I just haven't gotten around to doing it. As a matter of fact, I'm going to go and take some pictures of the front. Better than what I have found so far online.

The owners of the train station are just as scandeleous as the Detroit train station owner.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.