Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Interesting history..Detroit's mirror image. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Dove7
Username: Dove7

Post Number: 1975
Posted From: 24.5.195.127
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A year ago I was driving on 80 west heading into my home in Berkeley Ca. On the over pass I looked down and noticed this building that has a uncanny resemblence to the Michigan Train Station in Detroit.

I decided to take a look at a building where time seem to just stop. The train tracks that are elevated several feet above ground no longer connected to the rest of the bay area, taking it's passengers to their destination.

I found out that it is a historical train station in Oakland. It's uncanny. It's like I'm having Detroit flash backs looking in a mirror. A city with a similar history and a train station that has fencing going around the entire property. I took some pictures on the outside and was fortunate enough to get inside.

There was a African American care taker of the porperty who lived there with a white guy. Unfortunately the two of them are no longer there making hard to get access. BUT, I found a way to get in. The owner is somewhat of a, I forgot how to spell the owners name of the station in Detroit. Anyways, the owner of the station is somewhat of a mirror image of this guy. He's controversial. He wants to tear the building down, but for the community it is a history where they can trace there roots and history from. Paticulary the African Americans.

For the African Americans, this station means alot to them. It is this station that has put many to work and has brought many from southern States who worked the trains and eentually settled in the Oakland area duing it's peak.

Here's an aticle that I found. And i'll post some pictures that I took of the station. and you tell me, if this ain the mirror image of the Michigan station both design wise, history and controversy.

http://www.sfbayview.com/072104/trainstation072104.shtml

(Message edited by dove-7 on February 15, 2006)

Dove7

Post Number: 1976
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.sfbayview.com/07210 4/trainstation072104.shtml

Dove7

Post Number: 1977
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 1:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

before the fence.

http://home.pacbell.net/mcsgro up/morebt/ceda.htm

Eric_c
Username: Eric_c

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 69.220.224.157
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 8:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I departed Oakland for Detroit in April of 1990 on the California Zephyr. The earthquake had just occured the prior year so a single-wide trailer was being used as the Amtrak ticket office. All the passengers were just left to mill about on the concrete outside this big building, waiting for the train to arrive.

Seeing the picture posted above just jogged that loose! And at the time, yes, I thought of MCS and the dumpy little shed that stood in the shadow before Baltimore Street was built.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.