Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Harmony House RIP? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 144
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 9:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Driving in to work on Tuesday, I noticed the last remaining Harmony House in Berkley had changed its signage to f.y.e.

I haven't seen this in print, so I don't know any of the details. This doesn't come as a surprise, they had been scaling back for a number of years. The competition from big boxes and online music sites is something to contend with.

I thought some of you might like to know this.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 494
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 9:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, my senior in college in 2000 Harmony House opened a new store near campus in Ann Arbor. Everybody regarded them as just another corporate expansion trying to push out local music dealers, like School Kids. I remember Harmony House bragging about how many stores they had at the time. The A2 store didn't last long. I can't say I'm too surprised to see the last one go in this day and age. Finding a store that only sells music these days seems as hard as finding a unicorn.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 199
Posted From: 68.41.153.99
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wasnt that one and the classical store the only two that remained open when they filed for bankruptcy? I assume the classical store is closed, too? That's too bad. I grew up with the Thoms' (founding family) grandkids. They were nice people.

Rokk_krinn
Username: Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 68.249.60.2
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is another Woodward casualty - Witbeck in Ferndale closed its doors, moving to 14 Mile + Orchard Lake. As far as I know, they had been operating at that site since the 1920's.

I hate to see them go, but I imagine in order to compete they needed more space (the store was pretty cramped).

Ferndale seems to be reaching the tipping point where all of the old retailers are being quickly replaced with the latest trendy bar / restaurant / boutique.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 200
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

when did witbeck close? i live right there, and havent noticed. i do usually come home in the dark though. ill have to pay extra close attention when im heading out today...

Ro_resident
Username: Ro_resident

Post Number: 145
Posted From: 63.85.13.248
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The former Harmony House Classical location now houses a fabric store. The fabric store has been there for a while.

Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 38
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I noticed Witbeck last week - haven't noticed any coverage in the local papers giving any more information.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 257
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmony House just can't compete price-wise. I remember Harmony House and even stores like Sam Goody were a total ripoff, like $16 or $17 for a CD. Why not just go to Best Buy and get that CD for $11, or better yet, buy it on the Internet for $8 or $9? Honestly, I can't remember the last time I bought a CD or DVD in the stores, I usually just get them off of ebay or half.com or amazon.

Hoog
Username: Hoog

Post Number: 614
Posted From: 66.100.16.66
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the FYE the other day. Almost drove off the road.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 562
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the 'old days' (1970s) HH, at least certain stores with jazz literate managers, had decent stuff - import LPs, and more than 2-3 recs by some obscure jazz folks. Who needs rec stores in the Internet Age, anyway? Click, Click, Click, it's yours...
CDs usually offer shitty quality, jazz re-issue wise...and the worst thing is THEY ARE JUST PLASTIC, no 'old record smell'...folks into Hot Wax know what I'm talkin' about. But the extended playing time has brought forth LOTS of unissued material, and that is a good thing.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6746
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 5:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jim - You may want to check out Car City classics. I recall them having a pretty decent vinyl jazz selection and knowledgeable staff.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3085
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jimg goes for the smell AND the music on his records.
What a commentary on our modern times, eh.
jjaba

Jenniferl
Username: Jenniferl

Post Number: 238
Posted From: 4.229.39.156
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sad to see Harmony House go, but the last few times I was there they didn't have the CDs I wanted so I ended up buying them elsewhere. In the past, if you were looking for a couple of current CDs that were relatively popular, they would be up on The Wall in alphabetical order. But The Wall disappeared in recent years and it was hard to find stuff in there. If you were looking for, say, the new White Stripes, it might be in the alternative section under W. Or it might be in the pop/rock section under W. Or it might be on the local music rack. Or if it was on sale, it might be on a special sale rack. Harmony House had also devoted a lot of the store's space to movies instead of music. Basically, the place was a shadow of its former self.

Jimg
Username: Jimg

Post Number: 563
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thanks jt1, CC has been on my radar screen since they started on Jefferson...and you're right, they have lots of smelly vinyl and even some shellac...
So does Bob Mays, on 8 Mile for 40+ years, part of a vanishing species: the eccentric record man with vast knowledge about obscure recordings...cramped shop no room to move step over boxes and stacks and bins of RECORDS. And there he sits, behind a counter top full of cigarette burns eyes squinting behind reading glasses.

I bet Jjaba knows Hot Wax.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 775
Posted From: 70.228.1.172
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Harmony House was sold by the family several years ago. That's when you could see the quality go steeply downhill.

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 584
Posted From: 68.250.2.39
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i live accross the street from witbeck and its been close i think for a few weeks

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1746
Posted From: 69.47.101.255
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Geez... hearing about Harmony House closing (or at least changing its name) evokes the same feelings I had for the old Sam's Jams in downtown Ferndale.

I loved going to Sam's Jams on Friday nights when they were open until midnight and it was great when they'd have live bands playing in there. I remember running into ol' Dave Dixon standing all alone & aloof in the corner in a poo brown Members' Only jacket swaying to the sounds of Gamelon. Sam's used to have some really knowledgable folks as well and I still remember the novelty of the CD room (converted from the jazz room) they had installed.

And now another music mainstay in the area goes buh bye. Sad.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1747
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone remember the days of lining up outside the Harmony Houses to buy tickets to shows or just to have the opportunity to get a wristband? They were always the closest TicketMaster outlet for many of us back in that era.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 201
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i spent many saturday mornings in line at harmony house waiting for tickets. i remember when they implemented the lottery system without notice -- who ever had the ticket that was pulled became first in line, and everyone in front of them had to go to the end of the line. after that, there were a lot of unhappy people. but it served a purpose, i suppose.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1748
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 4:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those early morning Saturday forays waiting in line or camping out the evening before are now long gone. They've gone to little pimply faced kids sitting in front of their computers and mommy's credit card firing away at Ticketmaster.com. Not meaning to sound old, bitter or a fuddy duddy, but dagnabbit... we had to EARN those front row seats at the concerts!!!

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 490
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My folks got every appliance in their house from Witbecks. Sorry to hear of its leaving. Whitmore's Tires ("does your car do THIS?") still there?

Rokk_krinn

Post Number: 39
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wetmore's is still there.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I remember 5 or 6 years ago going to the harmony house that used to be in the Heights Shopping center in DH...The lighting was poor and the walls were a drab-dark grey..on top of that they were playing some hardcore/screamo/Metal CD over the soundsystem...it was a unpleasant experience to say the least...

I used to work at the Radio Shack in FTC for the better part of 3 years..and when the Sam Goody that was there closed, all the customers were up in arms...They could not beleive that the mall didn't have a music store...Well, all anyone ever did when it was there was hang out/browse/attempt to steal....That and SG just can't compete with the internet or music dowload services, like napster...

Sf_mike
Username: Sf_mike

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 69.181.23.101
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This makes me really sad. I remember riding my bike to the HH in Birmingham when I was 12 or 13 to buy a CD that I saved up for a few weeks to buy. I also recall standing in line at the HH on Woodward in Berkeley to buy Bob Seger tickets back in Feb of '96 when I was 15. The people in there were music lovers and always very helpful. Like many people when Best Buy and Circuit City came around there was no way I could justify paying 18.99 at HH when I could get the same CD for 11.99 at Best Buy. I would still shop there from time to time over the years even when the only one left was the one on Woodward. Every time I shop at Amoeba Records in Haight-Ashbury i'm always reminded of my trips to Harmony House as a kid and how cool it is to buy music with and from people who truly appreciate it.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1789
Posted From: 4.229.6.82
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 2:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hell I remember buying all my "cassettes" at HH. My older brother used to buy his "8 tracks" there......

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2405
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 3:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gistok, did you go to the one on Mack; was a laundromat prior, circa 1972?

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 776
Posted From: 70.228.1.172
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 9:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Some of the guys who used to work at Sam's Jams now co-own Streetcorner Music, on 13 Mile near Southfield. Knowledgable sales staff...

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2926
Posted From: 129.137.208.20
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 9:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Back in the days of 45s, I liked how Harmony House had all of the latest singles lined up on the back wall.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1764
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Streetcorner Music is great for finding some rarities. They helped me get an uber rare Was (Not Was) CD from England many years ago. Granted I paid through the nose on it but they were at least familiar with it and eventually got it to me within a month or so.

I can only imagine the look I'd get from some sales monkey at Best Buy or Circuit City if I went in there with a special request. There's still something to be said for knowledgable & friendly sales folk.

Gistok
Username: Gistok

Post Number: 1790
Posted From: 4.229.6.164
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 2:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep Mikem, I did go to the HH on Mack in GPW. I wasn't aware it was a laundromat before though.

I too used to buy 45's in the 60's as a kid, but at the Kresge's and Woolworths at the former 7/Mack Shopping Center (today it's Pointe Plaza) and then a hot fudge sunday at Sander's there.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1772
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 9:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can someone tell me if the Thom family's first Harmony House was the one on the Ferndale/ Hazel Park border? I could've sworn that that was the location of the very first store.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2408
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 9:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Smogboy, accordding to a 1961 phone book I have, there was a Harmony House Records at 22818 JohnR, 2 blocks south of 9 Mile in Hazel Park, as well as one at 245 W 9 Mile in Ferndale. You have a 50/50 chance of being right.

Alsodave
Username: Alsodave

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 24.221.73.42
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft, didn't know that about Street Corner--cool!

Smogboy, looks like Hazel Park is the one.

http://www.narm.com/news/sb/19 97/0897/mileston.htm

That store was there until the bitter end. I can't place the Ferndale location, though (must have been before my time.)

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 206
Posted on Friday, February 17, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Hazel Park store was indeed the first. It was right on the corner of the northbound I75 Service drive and John R. The original structure was demolished to build the strip mall that is there today. Harmony House relocated to the end of the structure where Charter One is currently.

wasnt the ferndale location located across the street from where mother fletchers is? I vaguely remember it.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1775
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 3:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I still remember the Harmony House corporate offices being on Maple Road just in the shadow of I-75 too. I think that was their distribution point and warehouse too.

It's such an iconic place for so many of us here in the Detroit area... and now it's gone the way of the village smithy. Sad.

Detroitoronto
Username: Detroitoronto

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 207.112.42.161
Posted on Saturday, February 18, 2006 - 9:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i worked for HH in the mid 80's and early 90's during the move from lovely LP's and vinyl to CD's. i can remember many customers bragging about unloading their vinyl collections to buy everything over again on compact disc! madness. the thom's were very nice and generous, while many VP's at the main office [yes, the warehouse @ maple near crooks and I-75] were loyal but probably not the best at running a viable business once big box stores and the internet moved in. they were very slow to acknowledge change.

they really stressed customer service and having staff who were knowledgeable about music and would special order anything. i remember getting many hard to find imports over the years.

i miss the 45 and LP wall too! my favourite store was hazel park [indeed, store #1] with charles english and folks always playing interesting music. HH expanded very fast, with stores in Toledo, suburban Chicago and who remembers that one in Greektown?

it's sad that family run businesses like HH aren't so common anymore. BUT Detroit still has great shops like Record Time, Car City, Neptune, Record Collector, Mays, Street Corner, Stormy...is People's Records on 2nd and Forest still going?

(Message edited by detroitoronto on February 18, 2006)

Smogboy

Post Number: 1781
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 12:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of my favorite Harmony Houses was the one at Tel-Twelve mall way back in the early 80's- but the reason I really liked that one was that I was dating someone who worked there! The staff there was also pretty cool about giving out sample & promotional stuff all the time. I vaguely remember Oakland Mall had an HH as well and didn't most major malls also have a Harmony House as well? I wonder if anyone has the number as to how many stores this chain had during its heyday.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 69.246.30.248
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 1:14 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People's Records [between 2nd and 3rd, on Forest] is still going strong, and has more records than ever. I just bought a Kraftwerk album from there this morning.

The owner is a great guy and is one of my neighbors.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 207
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember the oakland mall store, smogboy. it was on the second level next to the gap. jesus...i havent been to the mall in years...

im going to have to check out peoples records. its been a long time since ive bought a record. im about due for a new one...

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 208
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i remember the oakland mall store, smogboy. it was on the second level next to the gap. jesus...i havent been to the mall in years...

im going to have to check out peoples records. its been a long time since ive bought a record. im about due for a new one...

Detroitoronto
Username: Detroitoronto

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 207.112.42.161
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 11:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there were 34 or 35 HH stores i believe at their peak -- that must have been in the early 1990's. the oakland mall store was great! it's true we used to always give out promos and could open store copies & play them for customers.

glad people's is going strong -

great stories here on people's & on detroit wax!

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=5593

http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=4875

Smogboy

Post Number: 1782
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Part of the reason I remembered that Harmony House at Oakland Mall so fondly was because at the time, I had a girlfriend that would go linger for what seemed like hours shopping at the Gap and I had to do something with myself other than be her bag boy, so I wandered over to scope out the latest music at Harmony House. Harmony House back then was a safe haven and a nice one at that for me. That was many a relationship and many moons ago.

The_rock
Username: The_rock

Post Number: 1011
Posted From: 68.42.251.225
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, does anyone remember the Harmony House that opened in Charlevoix back in the early 80's/late 70's?? I don't think it lasted for more than one summer season. It was located on the main street , right downtown, but when the summer crowds left Charlevoix after Labor Day, that ended their business.

Esp
Username: Esp

Post Number: 6
Posted From: 68.62.6.186
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhhh the HH in Hazel Park ... where I bought all my Crapitol Beatle albums for $6.94 back in the 70s.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1791
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Crapitol???

Okay, after you bought the first one & thought it was crap... what made you go back and buy more?

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 175
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We blew our tax return at the Oakland Mall store in the 70s. As we collected armfuls of albums, security was called. When we finally paid in cold, hard cash, security vanished and the red-faced clerk apologetically gave us a bunch of free stuff. :-)

Hey, hippies can be honest citizens too!

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 283
Posted From: 70.229.202.232
Posted on Sunday, February 19, 2006 - 6:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

witbecks has been mentioned occasionaly in this thread, and its obvious that its closed, but it should be noted that Mr. Witbeck is an old miser/douchebag. Employees showed up one day to find the the doors locked, as he merged with another appliance store. One woman even moved down to Georgia to set up another witbecks, and since mr. witbeck has not returned any of her calls, so she's only slight pissed off

Rijobo
Username: Rijobo

Post Number: 10
Posted From: 67.38.26.147
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 2:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I stood in line for about an hour to get the vinyl, Led Zepplins, Houses of the Holy. I think it was the Hazel Park store ? Can't remember anything for shure before 1978. A mind is a terrible thing to waste!!!

Harsensis
Username: Harsensis

Post Number: 11
Posted From: 71.227.102.82
Posted on Monday, February 20, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, thanks for that bit of Mack Ave HH history. I never knew that was a laundrymat. Also thanks Gistok, I can so fondly remember those paper cone cups at 7 & Mack Sanders while eating my hot bittersweet sunday. Ahhhh the old days.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.