Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Goodbye Darko... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 67.149.62.53
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 2:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

espn.com is reporting the deal is almost done. Darko and Arroyo for Cato and a first round pick.

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 116
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

who will be the victory cigar now?!

Tracya2
Username: Tracya2

Post Number: 28
Posted From: 68.40.72.56
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 3:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This trade just doesn't seem to make much sense to me. I'm not particularly sad to see Darko go and Arroyo had his problems but Lindsay Hunter as back up point guard? Joe D. must have another trick up his sleeve - I just can't believe he isn't looking for another point guard. On the plus side - how about that Carlos Delfino?? Man, that guy is playing some great basketball - his defense skills have really improved.

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 3:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

arroyo has improved this year, but he has still been having alot of the same problems as laster year. In Joe We trust!

Steelworker
Username: Steelworker

Post Number: 583
Posted From: 68.250.2.39
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 6:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

joe hasnt let us down yet. i trust this one.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 807
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 6:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree that Joe hasn't let us down, especially after taking the blame last season for not taking more iniative on keeping the championship in Detroit last season.

Joe knows.....his basketball

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 490
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 7:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I initially questioned a couple of Joe D moves in the past. The trades for Rip and Sheed among them. Both have proven to be great moves. I would now follow Joe D blindly in whatever move he makes.

In Dumars we trust.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1744
Posted From: 69.47.101.255
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 8:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the sounds of it, it's also a salary cap move to keep Ben Wallace & Chauncey Billups too. As their contracts are due, the Pistons have to make some room somewhere. And if it comes down to keeping a project like Darko (and that's not to say he still couldn't be a star someday) or the two starters in Ben & Chauncey around for a few more years- I'd think the choice is obvious.

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2270
Posted From: 66.167.211.50
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about Darko for Duane Wade straight up? No. 2 pick for No. 5 pick in 2003. How could Miami resist? :-)

Joe is the man but even he can't hit a home run every time up.

What he excels in is understanding team chemistry. If he is after Cato, he is looking for some serious beef to take on Shaq and what does that mean for Dale Davis? Bring back Eldon Campbell.

As for Darko, I feel sorry for him. He needs to play to mature and there is no space for him on this team.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3698
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Trade Darko away to Orlando Magic to play longer baskerball and he will become like Shaq in no time. BAD MISTAKE!!!

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 115
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell, the reports say the Joe D would cut Cato. He is only interested in an expiring contract so he could have more money to sign Ben and Chauncey.

I don't like this deal, I have no reason, I just don't like it. Especially if the 1st round pick is protected.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 430
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I was Joe D, I'd go back to Atlanta and see if that Al Harrington trade was still available. True, Ben deserves all the loot he can get, but I don't see him leaving Detroit for a billion gazillion dollars. He would be spited throughout the nation for such tomfoolery.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1218
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The pistons do not want a protected 1st round pick and it may die over that issue.

Cato is nothing but a $9 million salary dump to keep Wallace and Billups. This is a repeat of the Williamson/Coleman trade a few years ago to sign Prince.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 698
Posted From: 69.246.119.28
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darko will be out the leaque by 2007! Why would Orlando want to trade a lotto pick for him. Joe D, I think we are stuck with Darko.:-(

super d(motordetroit)

Everyman
Username: Everyman

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 24.136.14.239
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 6:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

salary dump means nothing.

we have the bird rights to both wallace and billups, so we can exceed the cap for them, and we weren't gonna have more than the MLE for a number of years to come, anyway.

Deputy
Username: Deputy

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 63.115.132.100
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 6:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Everyman,
Salary dump does mean something. Even though we have Bird Rights to both Wallace and Billups it will put us over the salary cap. Being over the salary cap means that the Pistons would have to pay the NBA luxury tax...something they have not been willing to do in the past. I would love to see the Stones keep Darko and resign both guys and pay the luxury tax but that looks like wishful thinking.
However, this deal has alot of complications. Besides the protection issue of the first round pick, the other main issue is Cato. His almost 9million expiring contract seems to be the center piece to both the Darko trade and the Steve Francis trade to the Knicks. The Knicks desparately need to shed payroll and Cato would allow them to do so. Cato can't be involved in both trades so we'll have to see what happens.

Everyman
Username: Everyman

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 24.136.14.239
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

conservatively speaking, the cap will probably be $52 mil next year. we currently are at like $54 with tay's recent deal.

ben would have to start at like $11mil to even touch the tax, which is likely, though we'd barely scrape it.

it'd also be sad if a members' only jacket wearing old dude couldn't spare the extra change for barely exceeding the luxury tax, particularly when a team like NYK is at $125 mil.

this trade makes no sense. hunter/acker can't be trusted to do the backup pg thing.

Deputy
Username: Deputy

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 63.115.132.100
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 7:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We are currently at $57.8 million if Tay gets 9 million per year next season.

Below is a link to the current Pistons salaries (this does not show Prince's salary for next season).

That is $57.8 million for 11 guys plus at least 10 million for Big Ben. So that makes it $68 million (rounding) for 12 players...knowing that you are going to spend a little more change ($1 million) for three guys to complete the 15 man roster.

I agree it would be sad if the team believes Darko will develop into a good player but trades him anyway to avoid the luxury tax.

Finally, are you worried about Hunter because of the injury thing? If he is over that then I do not worry about getting rid of Arroyo.

http://www.hoopshype.com/salar ies/detroit.htm

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.73.202.67
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darko and Arroyo for Cato/1st round pick w/o protection to trade to Toronto for Mike James. With Cato coming off the books next year you can possibly keep James.......Ben and Chauncey for that run at a few more championships.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 576
Posted From: 66.227.165.194
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I like Arroyo, I was not aware that he was a problem. His defence is adequete, and he knows to pass the ball without turning it over. Plus, he looks good from a team chemistry standpoint.

Al Harrington is a player but he would have killed chemistry. He likes to have the ball too much.

Mike
Username: Mike

Post Number: 577
Posted From: 66.227.165.194
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its official. Just watched it on ESPN. The pick is protected for the 2006 and 2007 draft, Pistons only get it if its greater than 5. Arroyo and Darko are gone, in comes Cato.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.