Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Livonia Love-In « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1215
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia residents gather to sing city's praises

See, Livonia is not full of hate, but love. Just to be clear though, Wal-mart shoppers and SMART bus users are NOT welcome at this Love-In. Those people may have their own Love-In somewhere else.

One resident said, "We love everyone. We just love some people more if they are somewhere else, not here."

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 595
Posted From: 136.182.2.222
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This makes me embarassed to live in the city of Love.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 890
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 2:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Livonia Mayor Jack Engebretson also confirmed that the city will change its name from Livonia to Loveonya. 'Get it?' asked Engebretson. 'Love-on-ya! That's what we're all about here.'"

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 975
Posted From: 69.221.78.226
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"The event will also kick off a Shop Livonia campaign to support local businesses."

You mean like Home Depot, Walgreen's and Petsmart? Yes, people, get out there and show your support for the cornerstones of your community!

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6735
Posted From: 198.208.159.17
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am sure that Livonia still has a number of mom and pops and they should be supported in the community.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3692
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love in Hitlerland. What a fine way to cover up that incident for that Super Sprawl- Mart at the old Wonderland Mall, or opting out the SMART bus system.

Tielerh11
Username: Tielerh11

Post Number: 54
Posted From: 69.216.102.204
Posted on Tuesday, February 14, 2006 - 11:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia really is not such a bad place. And there are people in Livonia with open minds and such, but I'm sure you won't find them at this cheese ball event. It's almost funny tho cus being from Livonia, people find it weird that I'm in love with Detroit. I'm talking Detroiters too... Last Friday I was giving my friend a tour around downtown around 5:30 pm and while wearing my Livonia high school letter jacket I got the comments, "Party's over, dude!" and "Livonia Churchill? What are you doing down here?!"

Spitty
Username: Spitty

Post Number: 423
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 9:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was me that said, "Party's over, dude" and I only said it because your varsity jacket is from 1993.

Mcnamara
Username: Mcnamara

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 204.22.230.98
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 9:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hahahahaha, good one spitty!

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 193
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 9:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL Spitty!!

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 757
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd love Livonia a lot more if they would bring SMART back instead of their stupid local mass transit, they are replacing SMART with. But then again, I have absolutely no reason to go to Livonia in the first place, there is nothing there unique to attract me to actually go there for something.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3699
Posted From: 141.217.174.229
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

(Hitlerland) Livonia is a dying city with a ghettolike downtown. Let's those folks suffer.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 431
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah! Twist the blade a litl.

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 102
Posted From: 206.81.45.34
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia (where I too live currently) needs to realize that the vast majority of it has a lot more in common with Redford and Dearborn Heights than it does Novi and Northville. It is by and large an inner-ring suburb, bleeding residents and jobs. Given its size, Livonia should be a leader in uniting the inner suburbs in cooperation with revitalizing the City and working to curb sprawl. Instead it is Novi's bitch; the not-so-pretty girl that the popular girls let hang around, then make fun of her behind her back.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 194
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 10:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

UDMPHIKAP
That is probably the best analogy of Livonia that I have heard.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 499
Posted From: 84.156.39.134
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yea, but if that Livonia bitch wants to get a Tan, I know a place I can suggest for her... oh, and her skin could use a facial, too...

Bob
Username: Bob

Post Number: 759
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great analogy. The schools have also seen better days. They need some renovation. I was at Clarenceville HS on Sunday for a concert and it sadly needs some updating.

56packman
Username: 56packman

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bob, I am a Clarenceville alum (and admit it), yes the facility needs a little help. It was the last word back when, but time HAS marched on.
"Where Is Clarenceville?"

Rob__bob
Username: Rob__bob

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 192.136.15.137
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

a livonia resident from 1963-1983, i will show my disdain (action to be determined) as i ride the 285 bus through livonia this evening.

Tielerh11
Username: Tielerh11

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 69.216.102.204
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 5:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL no I'm not the guy that was walking around with the 1993 jacket at the winter blast (i saw that too). I'm class of 2006... and I'm pretty sure the guy that said it to me was homeless...

Jt1

Post Number: 6744
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well glad to see that the homeless represent the attitude of all Detroiters. You really are from Livonia. :-)

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2301
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Wednesday, February 15, 2006 - 11:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Was the Livonia effort coordinated with KK's people passing out "Detroit Love...Mayor Kilpatrick" hats and scarves yesterday?

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 69.209.162.124
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I lived in Livonia for 20 years, my Mom has lived there since 1954 and I just want to let people know it is NOT Hitlerland. Way to stereotype and denigrate. Everyone seems so disdainful of Livonia - because the community didn't want a 24-hour Wal-Mart in a residential neighborhood? (There already IS a Wal-Mart in Livonia half a mile away from the proposed location, that came in without any controversy). Because it dropped Smart Bus?

Yes, yes, yes, there are some racists and a-holes in Livonia - just like EVERY community. And just like Detroit, the school buildings have aged and it's losing population and jobs, having to close schools.

Livonia is still a decent place to live and raise a family. The community cares and keeps up their homes and neighborhoods and streets. When they see a threat to their community, they band together, go to town meetings and make themselves heard. (And the threat is NOT the feared influx of African-American shoppers) 88.9% of the residents have graduated high school, almost 30% are college graduates. (http://www.city-data.com/city/ Livonia-Michigan.html) In 4 years, it's lost 1.6% of its population.

I know this isn't the Livoniayes Forum. I know people have their own point of view. But at least Livonia has true community spirit and pride. They acknowledge their problems and move forward. Sometimes they make mistakes - they're human. Can't blame them for that.

Gogo

Post Number: 1228
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 10:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cynknight - Livonia doesn't suck because it banded together to keep out a wal-mart for any number of reasons that communities have banded together to keep out wal-mart from their neighborhood. It sucks because it did it for racist reasons. Because it feared the type of shoppers it'd attract.

Same for the opting out of the SMART bus system. Its residents viewed it as a system that didn't serve themselves, but those people.

UDMPHIKAP said it best. Livonia has more in common with Redford and Detroit than it does with those cities which it'd rather be associated with because they match their skin color better. But they'd never admit it.

Livonia is white and intends to stay that way. If you want to defend that, so be it. But don't disguise it as a community banding together to better itself. Just like a community banding together for a good ol fashion lynching, Livonia has banded together to keep out those coloreds.

yes. There are good people in Livonia. The problem is, they choose to stay quiet and do nothing. Just like the onlookers of a lynching.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2066
Posted From: 66.192.63.5
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Livonia sucks because it has no soul! Rallying around a bunch of chain restaurants and McMansions isn't too exciting. However, I suppose in Biblical times it might have been turned to stone? Although I personally know three good people who live there (is that enough to save it?).

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 103
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gogo, it wasn't entirely for the reasons you state. I think a big reason for the fuss was that southside Livonians feel like the bastard stepchild of the snotty northerners who wish they were Novi. Why can nicer stores go up along Haggerty, and the Wonderland site gets Wal-Mart? I bet it will draw shoppers from the north side...they don't want it in their backyard but it's okay to build it 100' from my neighborhood? We saw the condition of the Wal-Mart that exists, and felt (and still do feel) that they should redevelop that site and let Wonderland be developed into a more new-urban, pedestrian-friendly mixed-use site. The site was sold to city officials as being pedestrian-friendly, and now we're going to get a sea of asphalt.

I think Livonia south of the freeway should secede from the rest...the South shall rise again! Who's coming with me?

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 719
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

gogo - way to base your whole argument on what you saw on fox2 news. there were a few racist a-holes who were vocal in their opposition, but the main complaint, which is valid, was that the proposed new use would operate 24 hrs a day. there's a big difference between living next to a store that closes at 9pm and one that operates 24 hrs a day, 365 days a year.

and, I think opting out of was ridiculously self centered, and short sighted, but to make it out to be a strictly racial issue is sensationalism at its worst. the decision was about money more than anything else.

Gogo

Post Number: 1229
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I also didn't mean to imply that Detroit is better off. Detroit is also full of racists too. The key difference between Livonia and Detroit, however, is that racist Detroiters will call you a quacker or honkie to your face. In Livonia, they will f*ck with your lives. They will deny you access to jobs and mobility (opt out of SMART). They will rally to stop stores from opening which they think will serve you (wal-mart). And then they will have a "Love-In" to pretend everything is peach keen.

Gogo

Post Number: 1230
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

the decision was about money more than anything else.

Yes it was. They didn't want to spend their money on those people.

Jfried
Username: Jfried

Post Number: 720
Posted From: 209.131.7.190
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"those" people being non-residents.

Gogo

Post Number: 1231
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Love-In Livonia style...

Unfortunately, the majority of Livonia's crime comes from people who live outside of our city. If we are considered racist because we don't want that kind of crime in our city, so be it, I personally would rather be safe.

Diana Sommers - LIVONIA

We don't need that crap, I had a vehicle stolen from in front of my house. I come to find out the two people who stole it were dropped off by bus from Detroit.

Tina Sabbadin - LIVONIA

I don't want to sound prejudiced. ... It's right off the freeway. You have to expect that, and you're going to get people from all societies of life

Tina Sabbadin -LIVONIA

You must think we are so stupid. I was at Wal-Mart. You know who shops there? I was the only white person.

Anonymous - LIVONIA townhall meeting

There was trees, there was farms. Then comes 96 and here comes our trouble. Holy moly! To be blunt, too many blacks from Detroit. They come out here on the bus.

Orman - Livonia

I've seen their stores; they're just dirty little holes, I almost threw up. I don't think it's Livonians shopping. I don't want to sound prejudiced -- I was the only white person there.

Myron - LIVONIA

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 104
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, Jfried, it was self-centered and short-sighted for a city of 100,000 to pretend it isn't part of a larger region, but not entirely racist Gogo. Rather than make difficult choices about how to plan for attracting businesses and residents to bring money back to the city, they chose to cut something they felt was unnecessary to them. Ironically, I think this will hurt their chances to attract businesses and jobs, because there is a large manufacturing and service base in Livonia that could use a reliable bus system to get employees there.

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 105
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep, those 5 speak for the other 99,000 of us...

I love Detroit. I went to school at UDM over Lawrence Tech or UofM. I go to Titan basketball games. I go to the DIA and Historical Museum. I have Tigers season tickets. I participate on this forum. I would live there now had my loft deal not fallen through.

I fought the Wal-Mart proposal because it wasn't appropriate for the site, and because I wanted to see other stores there instead. I voted against opting out of SMART because I know how important mass transit is to a region.

Bob - Livonia

Gogo

Post Number: 1232
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If the other 99,000 don't say anything, then yes. They do speak for you.

The majority of Livonians voted against SMART. Not just these 5 people. Instead of the city of Livonia doing any meaningful actions to combat wanton racism in their city, they instead produce a "love-in" aimed at doing little more than to make them feel good about themselves.

If these opinions were truly a minority voice, the city would be more proactive in combating the image that it has created. Instead, it has done nothing. It doesn't observe MLK. It hasn't encouraged discussiosn about race in its schools or community. It has only come up with a lame love-in that will solve none of its racial issues.

But that is Detroits problem to solve. Just like everything else in this region.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2067
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Udmphikapbob - OK so you are the fourth good person in Livonia :-) - I think we need one more (wasn't that the Sodom and Gomorrah rule?) to save it from fire!

Solarflare
Username: Solarflare

Post Number: 371
Posted From: 63.69.106.29
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

But that is Detroits problem to solve. Just like everything else in this region.

Holy SHIT. Get OFF the cross. God damn.

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 106
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

fine...

Race isn't major concern
Laura Berman and the rest of the news media have a responsibility to get facts straight ("Wal-Mart doesn't deserve the rap it gets in Livonia," Sept. 22). The major concern of Livonia residents at the Livonia Planning Commission meeting was the 24-hour operation of Wal-Mart and the impact it would have on the immediate neighborhood, not the race issue.

Susan Micallef
Livonia

'We are against Wal-Mart'
To read the editorial ("Metro Detroit racism still a two-way street," Sept. 22), we Livonians are the racists of the world. Please, get the problem right. We are not against blacks; we are against Wal-Mart coming into our community and telling us what, when and how it (Wal-Mart) will dictate our needs.

Dennis M. Tap
Livonia

Detroit, Livonia racists offend
I do not agree with the comments made by some Livonia residents concerning Wal-Mart and black people coming into their city. Even my Detroit City Council sees no problem with racism.

When the council promotes projects like JoAnn Watson's proposed "Africa Town," it's scary. And once again I am deeply offended.

R. Poma
Detroit

Commodore64
Username: Commodore64

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 66.73.225.162
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't like to hear how Livonia residents talk about Redford being a Ghetto. There are some streets in Redford, especially between North side of I96 between Inkster rd and Beech-Daly that I would move to instead of a similar house in Livonia. Redford has charm and continues to get better every year. (at least in my neighborhood)

Gogo

Post Number: 1233
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

udmph - I'm underwhelmed. What actions have Livonians done to resolve the racial issues that exist in their community outside of writing in their opinions that say they aren't racist, yet conflict their actions? Is a love-in really the best that they could do?

Thnk2mch
Username: Thnk2mch

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 67.38.87.62
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 1:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gogo, didn't this thread start by you making fun of Livonia's attempt to unite? Creating fictional quotes, etc.....?

There was not a sign saying "KEEP OUT" anywhere in the city that night or any others.

Again, the thoughts of a few people do not represent how everyone in Livonia feels.

Ever had an uncle say something stupid?
( doesn't mean you automatically agree)

A lot of people voted to opt-out of the SMART system because it is a system that does not work well. If you don't force change, sometimes things will stay the same forever.

Gogo

Post Number: 1234
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 1:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Gogo, didn't this thread start by you making fun of Livonia's attempt to unite? Creating fictional quotes, etc.....?

Yes. Because it is the most obsurd way to smooth over its racial issues. It accomplishes absolutely nothing as far as Livonias race problems and only serves to comfort Livonians into thinking that everything is okay.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 2
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So Livonia should never try to do anything as a community, because it will just be a cover-up for something else?

(P.S... you missed a dig, Livonia backwards is ai-no-vil)lol

Jt1

Post Number: 6761
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 1:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Thnk - What is the benefit of opting out of SMART. I would like to hear the justification.

Wazootyman
Username: Wazootyman

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.75.220.9
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 1:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I live in (south) Livonia. What exactly is it I'm supposed to do to to solve our "race problem?" There are at least two homes on my street with black families. What do I do about it? Nothing, except treat them just like any other neighbor.

I went to the Wal-Mart meetings. I did not go the night the racist comment was made. However, in the meetings I attended, I can assure you it had absolutely nothing to do with race. Over and over again, concerned residents were asking about truck unloading schedules, hours of operation, traffic, retention ponds, etc. Valid concerns for neighbors whose homes back directly up to the site.

I voted NO on the SMART bus issue (which was in favor of keeping the buses). However, it is a fact that an overwhelming majority of the buses that traveled through the city were completely empty. I sympathize with the people who need those buses to get to work - and that's why I didn't want to see the system dropped. However, for a city in a financial crisis, paying for empty buses just didn't seem like the best expenditure.

I have encountered racist people in my city, but in any case I can think of, it was commentary by an older person (70+). I think this is less of a Livonia issue, and more of a wide-spread issue of their generation. There is no sign in my neighborhood that says you have to be white. In fact, I'd say that my neighborhood is surprisingly diverse.

For the record, I love Detroit, and I actually have considered and expressed desire to move into a loft downtown several times. My girlfriend of two years called it "de-toilet" when we met. I've shown her enough of the city that she loves going downtown, and even got me a Detroit book for Valentine's day.

I live in Livonia because it's a very nice community, with a stable housing market, and close proximity to my employer. My decision has/had nothing at all to do with race.

For the record, us south Livonians do get "crapped on" (to use the term one of the residents used at the planning commission meeting), and we do deserve better than Wal-Mart.

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My opinion: If enough of the larger players opted-out, SMART would have to re-think the way they service the entire area ( not just Livonia )

If the larger areas had their own systems, like Ann Arbor,
(catered to their needs) SMART could than concentrate on a real mass transit sytem that links them together, instead of driving through them.

If SMART runs how it is, nothing will change.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2400
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why do I have the feeling Gogo would be the first to move if a black family (or a Walmart) moved in next-door?

Jt1

Post Number: 6762
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice post Wazooty.

About SMART - My issue is that some seem to think that it is a move to save money when it will be a complete wash and just creak up the region. I wish Livonia would have teams up with FH and others to work on improving SMART instead of opting out.

FH essentially stated they are not happy with SMART but will stay on and expect to see improvements. That type of mentality would have a much greater effect than opting out and spreading the resources even thinner.

If you have a relative with a drug problem do you offer to help or kick them out of the house figuring that the difficulties of living on the streets will make them see the error of their ways and cause them to clean up?

Thnk2mch

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jtl...

Is it a new drug problem, or the same one they had for years, and won't help themselves?

Or do I give them money and hope they change?

Gogo

Post Number: 1235
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mikem - I would definitely fight to keep a walmart out of my neighborhood. But not because of the clientel it serves, because its an evil company.

Regarding black neighbors. You've got me pegged!

Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 107
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wazootyman - excellent first post. Glad to know there are others like me in the neighborhood. Represent the 48150!

Jt1, your comments about SMART bring me back to my original comment that a city of Livonia's stature should be leading the way for bus reform, not copping out.

Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2068
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can vouch for Gogo he would not be moving if their were black neighbors moving in (he doesn't exatly live in White Town USA) - and as for a Wal-mart - I would move if I couldn't stop it!

Jt1

Post Number: 6764
Posted on Thursday, February 16, 2006 - 2:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Jt1, your comments about SMART bring me back to my original comment that a city of Livonia's stature should be leading the way for bus reform, not copping out.

Agreed. I think that SMART and DDOT have many shortcomings but I really like how FH addressed them. IT seems like they pretty much said "We will stay in but we want improvement. Without improvement we may consider leaving"

That is much more beneficial and respectable than just saying fuck off to SMART because we don't like it as it is.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.