Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Ann Arbor needs to care about Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Detroitman
Username: Detroitman

Post Number: 906
Posted From: 216.78.41.212
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 6:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ann Arbor needs to care about Detroit
http://www.mlive.com/news/aane ws/index.ssf?/base/news-16/113 984523026880.xml&coll=2

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 510
Posted From: 70.236.169.228
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow. Dead on. good article

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 968
Posted From: 136.2.1.153
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 6:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Nice article. (as someone who's lived in both cities)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 195
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 6:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The same thing goes for Windsor. Detroit's revival would have significant benefits for the people and businesses on the south side.

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 477
Posted From: 70.236.190.233
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes, I enjoyed that. I emailed it to a few people, mainly African Americans like myself.

They are high on the suburbs for their own various reasons and they are all from here. I don't expect everybody to make the same choices that I make, but at least don't slam the door in your mother's face (so to speak).

later - naturalsister

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

People in Ann Arbor may be inclined to care more about Detroit but mostly what goes on inside the city is out of sight, out of mind. There's little advertising on the poles on the streets or the bulletin boards or in the piles of flyers at the dozens of coffee shops of Ann Arbor about events or things that go on in Detroit. People in and around Ann Arbor like to walk down Main Street and might be inclined to stroll Monroe or Centre streets in Detroit if they knew about them. And then there are the thousands of students at UofM (even at Eastern) who simply don't have a car to get to Detroit. The Ann Arbor to Detroit commuter rail (with a stop in Ypsi) could close that gap. But so could a couple shuttle busses that serviced students who wished to go to Detroit on weekend evenings.

There are people in Ann Arbor who care about Detroit, at least one group -- the students who make up the Detroit Project at the university.

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1012
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is sobering to see AA step up to the plate to acknowledge that without a healthy, vibrant, flourishing Detroit then AA could very well cease to compete. First Deiter Zetsche(sp??) acknowledged this fact and now AA saw the potential that could be a healthy, vibrant Detroit during the Superbowl. I remember reading a while ago about Grand Rapid's Mayor (???--correct me if I am wrong) in some sort of discussion with Detriot leaders. The specifics of that news article slips my memory. The irony of this article is that this particular AA resident did not even allude to Detroit's "crime problem" as a hinderance to its potential to reinvent itself as a vibrant core. Rather, the writer simply outlined the responsibility that AA leaders and residents alike must take for the betterment of Detroit in order to maintain and secure their viability and future.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.