Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroityes mention in Crain's « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5512
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 10:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jump start for Slows
The art of building a buzz: Viral marketing, food that closes the deal pack house

Nothing has been slow about the buzz that has surrounded Slows Bar BQ in Corktown in Detroit.

Then, word leaked out in the Corktown community and onto a popular online forum called DetroitYes.com and Model D, a weekly electronic newsletter and Web site dedicated to Detroit development. Phillip Cooley said his brother and Perrone posted online responses to questions about the restaurant.

And that, says Kelly Major, partner and marketing director for Brogan & Partners Convergence Marketing, was shrewd.

“Building brand awareness … requires you to be in dialogue with the audience in some way,” Major said. “So it was very smart that the owners got on to DetroitYes and not necessarily pushed themselves but responded and participated in the dialogue.”

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/c gi-bin/article.pl?articleId=28 766

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2060
Posted From: 68.40.173.250
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well it is why I started going there - I saw it here first!

Mikeydbn
Username: Mikeydbn

Post Number: 292
Posted From: 35.11.141.32
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 10:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I had to check it out after reading the buzz on here

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5513
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There was a very large Detroityes contingent there on opening night.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 299
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

much credit has to go to www.detroityes.com but I was at a few functions at the lager house where slows was serving food long before slows opened promoting the restaurant .. it was known in the corktown crowd the restaurant was coming long before it opened

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2639
Posted From: 68.252.8.173
Posted on Sunday, February 12, 2006 - 11:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

and more than a few nights after.

Who needs a cheesecake factory?

Support local ownership.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 523
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 1:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen, Jams.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3066
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 1:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Careful now. No advertising on The Forum.
Look at the mess we got into with Cafe de-troit.

jjaba.

Jams
Username: Jams

Post Number: 2645
Posted From: 68.79.92.115
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 2:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Erikd,
You're almost scaring me.

After our many conversations regarding locals vs franchises, you're coming around to my viewpoint that a unique establishment deserves our support more than a national chain?

Both are necessary to our economy, but I'll always prefer the unique. McDonalds will fill my tummy, but I still prefer a restaurant that comes from my community.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 524
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 3:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have always been an advocate for supporting locals over franchises. However, I am glad to see new business opening in the city (especially ones that fill existing gaps). The support of new businesses doesn't always have to come at the expense of the existing ones.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 973
Posted From: 69.221.78.226
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That "convergence Marketing brand awareness blah blah" stuff may be true on some level, but for some marketing person to apply it in Slows' case is missing the point. The guys who opened the place were a part of the community long before the place opened, so they already had a mass of customers who'd be loyal pretty much regardless. Then there's the quality of the food, the atmosphere, and the appeal of something new and of higher quality than the places that the local clientele had been accustomed to (like Cass Cafe, Majestic, whatever). Of course, the marketing types, and Crain's, wouldn't really understand things from a street level, so they chalk up the restaurant's success to some fancy "shrewd" marketing scheme.

I have to laugh at how I imagine this "marketing model" being coopted and planned out in some boardroom somewhere. Next time you meet some new hipster at the Bronx who starts dropping hints about a new restaurant coming to town, don't be surprised if it turns out to be an actor trained by Brogan & Partners to infiltrate the nieghborhood for some wicked viral marketing.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2472
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wonder how many mentions are given to, or publicity is generated from HotFudgeDetroit?

Or is the lack of people mentioning them in the media because of their obsession with trying to clown DetroitYes?

<<laffin

PS. I also learned of (and enjoyed a nice dinner) of Slows through this forum. Let's keep up the good work of passing knowledge through the grapevine call DetroitYes.com.

Word of mouth (or fingers) is the best way of promotion anyway...

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2912
Posted From: 129.137.173.148
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 1:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I made our first trip to Slows when we were in town a few weeks ago. We gave it a thumbs up all around. Hope things continue to go well and it leads to more redevelopment in the area.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 494
Posted From: 84.156.32.8
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's Slows?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6716
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Monday, February 13, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

And that, says Kelly Major, partner and marketing director for Brogan & Partners Convergence Marketing, was shrewd.

“Building brand awareness … requires you to be in dialogue with the audience in some way,” Major said. “So it was very smart that the owners got on to DetroitYes and not necessarily pushed themselves but responded and participated in the dialogue.”

Says the company that left Detroit for Birmingham.

Sorry, just had to be an ass

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.