Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Best chance to succeed...... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 216.144.213.130
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 1:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With all the discussions in the past regarding all these proposed development; MCS, Brodercik Towers, Staler Site, UA, FortShelby, Book Cadillac, MOnroe Block, Lafer Bldg, Lafayette Bldg, 1001 Woodward, Eddystone Condominiums, Etc.

Which of these projects do you think will actually begin construction in the near future?

Which will have the best at succeeding become places of destination/living?

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1559
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now that the superbowl is over I don't think any of them will happen.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 394
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are those buildings still standing ? I don't know if they will all be developed, some may, some may not ..... the only person who could give you a point-blank definite answer would be Skulker.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1366
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker would not give a point blank answer -- his answers are always tainted by his hatred for buildings.

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1410
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My (slightly) informed opinions:

MCS - Nothing will happen for a long time. I just hoped its not demolished before it becomes obvious that we (the country) need a major passenger train system
Broderick - Is happening, we'll see how well or quick
Statler Site - Will get built on, but it won't be for a number of years.
UA - Something will happen, but it won't be for few years
Fort Shelby - Who knows?
Book Cadillac - I bet construction will start this summer
Monroe Block - After the Hudsons block, but probably before anything new is built on GCP
Lafer Bld - Don't know much about it, but that whole part of town will improve a lot in the next couple years.
Lafayette - Bet it will start and/or finish about the same time as the Book Caddy
1001 Woodward - The condos will be sold shortly, I believe they've been already working on them. If not, the garage was holding them up.
Eddystone Condos - If the Carlton and Elington get filled up quickly, the Eddystone will be next

I think now that the superbowl has brought a lot of new eyes to the city (and pockets with money), you will see steady progress relative to the rest of the region.

I don't think there will be a rush like the last year or so, but momentium won't stop.

Of course, if the whole region falls into a sinkhole, and nobody has a job then Detroit can't be successful on its own.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3505
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My guesses

MCS - nothing real is announced until 24 months after the bi-national committee on border crossings makes their final recoomendation. Likely demoed.

Broderick Towers - don't hold yer breath, you'll pass out

Statler Site - RFP final selection announcement for new build by DEC 06

UA - No takers, move to demo by fall 2006

FortShelby - who the f*&^ knows?

Book Cadillac - Closing by late April, crews by August open late 2008, early 2009

Monroe Block - Four to five years before real proposals start coming in.

Lafer Bldg - Construction starts by mid summer 2006.

Lafayette Bldg - Iffy. Construction start by early fall or rebid by early fall.

1001 Woodward - December 06 announcement of price reductions or an increase in unit count by making smaller units.

Eddystone Condominiums - dunno.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 483
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker: I'm guessing Pebbles feet are starting to feel a little chill in regards to the Lafayette then? I thought that was as much of a done deal as the Book Caddy.

Rsa
Username: Rsa

Post Number: 772
Posted From: 70.225.118.144
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

skulk; when are the rfp's going out for the statler site? is ilitch holdings fielding all those right now (with the ua & tuller site)? if not will the city accept any proposals before the rfp? [i guess the question should be: how is the cooperation between the two parties happening?]

i can back up the positive remarks about the lafer bldg. i saw the drawings for renovation at the building department (seeking approval) 1-2 months ago.

Rjlj
Username: Rjlj

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 63.171.81.135
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think it is pretty eveident based on what has happened until now. The United Artist building is a goner and will be razed. The entire block where the Statler was and the entire block where the United Artist building is will be combined into one large development. That development is many years away. Maybe Downtown Detorit will finally get their shopping mall.

Ohudson
Username: Ohudson

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 147.240.236.9
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe the Red Wings Arena can fit in the Statler/ UA site.........

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1411
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 5:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Maybe Downtown Detorit will finally get their shopping mall.

That would be the worst possible thing we could do. I'm confident that downtown will be better with vacant Tuller and Statler sites and an empty UA than with a mall over the area.

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3507
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Final deal details are going very slowly on the Lafayette.

The DDA and Olympia have not finalized exactly how to "co-market" Statler / UA for the agreed upon six months.

The Statler site will not sit empty "for years".

There will be no hockey arena built at the Statler / UA site. How do you deal with the People Mover running through the middle of the site? Think, people, think.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 700
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 6:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You guys forgot, Skulker would never think about tearing down the People Mover. It's only Buildings that he hates. He's like a modern day Godzilla, with a softspot for toy trains.

(Message edited by sharmaal on February 09, 2006)

Atperry
Username: Atperry

Post Number: 242
Posted From: 69.137.219.205
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 8:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Skulker

you mentioned that it would take 4-5 years for something on the Monroe Block.

Why so long, just to finalize and construct something on the Hudson block?

WOuldn't that site be much more attractive than the Statler site.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.