Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » St. Bede School is Closing « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genius
Username: Genius

Post Number: 15
Posted From: 65.42.23.2
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The year's first closing is announced for the Archdiocese of Detroit. Today's Free Press announced that St. Bede Elementary in Southfield is closing after the 2005-2006 school year.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060206/NEW S05/602060315/1007/NEWS05

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 202
Posted From: 69.47.103.87
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

that's my old gradeschool :-( i was very sad to find that out this past saturday after mass ended.

they haven't been up to full capacity since i was in about the 5th grade, and have really been struggling in the last several years. i am really hoping that this doesn't mean the church will close too. we've heard rumors that the school may turn into a charter school, so if that's the case, the church might be spared. however that corner of 12 and southfield is a prime peice of property and the archdiocese could get a huge chunk of change from it. and we already know that they are going to close 2 of the 3 churches (the other 2 are st. michael's and st. ive's) that are in southfield within the next year, and combining it all into one parish.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 180
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Not hard to see why their parochial schools need to close. Much fewer and fewer Catholics left in Southfield. In that respect, it's similar to (city of) Detroit.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.