Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » PREPARE TO MEET THY GOD « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 244
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What's up with the Jesus Freaks downtown and their huge-ass signs? Why can't people just be allowed to have a good time without someone trying to ruin things for everyone? Anyone else see these religious kook protestors near Campius Martius?

Yupislyr
Username: Yupislyr

Post Number: 114
Posted From: 24.57.86.210
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha yes, watching it on WDIV right now. They're obviously trying to keep him out of the shot

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1400
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you see the anti-abortion truck driving around with the giant pictures all over it? Nice for a family event.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 588
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I decided to toy with the guy on the megaphone last night. I was standing next to him and putting my finger up to the megaphone and telling him to be quite. Those freaks need to hit the road!

Redhook
Username: Redhook

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.46.222.220
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love these, "Free speech for all whom agree with me!" threads.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 44
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

why aren't the Jesus freaks over at the mission helping out??? And, why aren't the antiabortionist over at the orphanage applying to adopt? hypocrisy (not sure on the spelling) at its best. They want attention for their cause but they don't want to do shit to help.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3149
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Free speech should be protected everywhere. They have a right to say what they want to say, and other's have the right to criticize. It may be in bad taste for some, but it's their right. If it's really bothering someone so much, maybe they should set up a dueling protest. lol

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4667
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

these people come out to Michigan games a few times every year, riding bikes around with these gigantic banners harassing people about why they're going to a football game instead of "going to church." all is fine until they start hitting people with the banners because they're too large to control. they're downright verbally abusive. a major annoyance, but, hey, it's their right.

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 45
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

free speech is fine and i applaud them for trying but i wonder about what kind of pics they had plastered on the truck. I was at a festival when the anti-abortionist showed up with a van plastered with blood and what looked like 8 month old babies slaughtered all over it. People were disgusted, especially those with children in attendance. there is a limit. But, maybe they were anti-abortionist with good taste. if so, i applaud them.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 998
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Does anyone know what the story is behind the storefront on Woodward right in the middle of the Winter Blast that is manned by a group of Orthodox Jews? I was in a hurry and couldnt stop in, but it seemed interesting. Did anybody from the Forum go in?

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4668
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

it's pretty common practice amongst pro-lifers to rent those billboard trucks and plaster pictures of mutilated aborted fetuses on the sides. having seen a couple, they're pretty disgusting, yet I fail to see how it serves their cause.

Being Pro-Choice is not a matter of being pro-abortion. rather, it's the notion that the government should not have the right to tell people what they do with their bodies. Personally, I hope the number of abortions drastically reduces in this country, whether by safe sex or abstinence or by keeping children full term and putting them up for adoption. but it's not my job to make that decision for a woman, nor is it the Supreme Court's or the President's job.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 440
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Leoqueen,

I passed that storefront on Woodward as well. There was hardly anything inside, just a couple of tables, and 2 guys sitting down....dont know what that was

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 90
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did you see the anti-abortion truck driving around with the giant pictures all over it? Nice for a family event

yeah, the same truck was at the Woodward cruise, nice! NOT!

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 767
Posted From: 68.248.14.6
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course it's a man driving that anti-abortion truck around...

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3151
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 8:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aram, just so you know, abortions have declined drastically over the past 15 or so years if I remember right. I don't want to turn this into a referrendum on abortion, but isn't it funny that much of the decline occured under Clinton's year in office? I'd like to see the pro-lifers that believe that a president has so much control over this issue try and explain that away.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 864
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 10:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Free speech should be protected everywhere. They have a right to say what they want to say, and other's have the right to criticize. It may be in bad taste for some, but it's their right."

Hey, yeah, and what about all those kooks spouting their opinions -- many of them just plain WRONG -- on DetroitYES.com? What about them? They need to hit 8 Mile... right?

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 24.176.20.117
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 10:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the whole anti-abortion movement is feeling pretty good about itself lately now that Samuel Alito has been confirmed to the Supreme Court. Already five states (including Ohio and Indiana) have passed laws criminalizing all abortions, in the expectation that the new Alito Court will cheerfully uphold them.

Same goes for these kooks around Campus Martius. They're doing their own little end-zone dance and rubbing our faces in it.

Karl
Username: Karl

Post Number: 1115
Posted From: 68.230.22.99
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How about those pesky war protestors - surely they're out there too - throw the bums out! I'm surprised that no one has mentioned them - there's gotta be a bunch of 'em. Do we have a wo/man on the scene??

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 99
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gratuitous pandering to the party line.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 246
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How did this turn into an abortion thread? :-)
I dunno, it's crazy.

Going back to the original topic, I don't believe ANYONE in this thread said that these religo-nuts should be silenced, ejected, or otherwise have their speech restricted. No one said that. However with all the tens of thousands of out-of-towners downtown right now enjoying the city and the festivities, it kind of puts a downer on your whole evening to have a bunch of FREAKS with signs yell at you and tell you that you are going to burn in hell.

It's not like Mardi Gras has rolled into Detroit, it's the f*cking Super Bowl. How much more family-friendly can you get than Campus Martius, the Winter Blast, the NFL Expereince, etc? I agree with the person who asked why these Bible-thumpers aren't volunteering at a local homeless shelter or something. Free speech goes both ways, if they can proselytize in the streets than I think we have the right to freely express how assinine these people are for trying to ruin everyone's good time.

Kilgore_south
Username: Kilgore_south

Post Number: 20
Posted From: 24.176.20.117
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well said Warriorfan. They have the right to do their thing down there, and we have the right to our opinion of it.

Maybe the bright side is that, for once, the place to be if you want the whole world to notice you is Detroit.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 795
Posted From: 66.2.148.236
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I much prefer protesters with a sense of the ironic.

Karl

Post Number: 1118
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have a wonderful ^ free ^ gift ^ for all the lefties on this thread ^^^^^^^^.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1025
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I alsmost got hit with that damn cross walking down the street... the dude was rushing to set it up to take a picture with him on it...

Im catholic... we dont bible thump... those people are going to hell ;)

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 183
Posted From: 69.212.32.187
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you read their list that they had, just about everyone and anyone who is not white and doesnt have a long beard is going to hell. Those guys are nuts. Catholics do a much better job with the pro life movement. I think these guys fall into the "everyone besides me is going to hell" movement.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1028
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 3:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

right.. catholics are all inclusive.. EVERYONE is going to hell ;)...

Nah their more down to earth tho... god aint going to punish you for drinking something he provided once by form of miracle at a wedding once. Just dont push it... or end up with one on the way... or kill nobody..
Even been told the same thing along the lines once for smokin doobie... and that its only wrong to do because its against the law..

NEVER thought id hear that from a priest.. he didnt condone it ... but he flat out said that he wont only because its illegal... although he did tell me that if anything went to a point of me quiting my job, losing sleep, or giving up my responsibilties over... than it would be a sin...

But i doubt 95% of the world (drunkards) is going to hell... last time I checked I thought that was up to god u know?

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 146
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 3:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The banner carrying nuts show up for most major events (especially in the South). I think many of them mean well, they're just so extreme in their tactics and words that they offend just about everyone wh owalks in front of them. I've seen them at Kentucky Derby, Mardi Gras, World Series games, Boxing events, etc. More than once in fist fights and usually on the losing end.

Dove7
Username: Dove7

Post Number: 1959
Posted From: 24.5.195.127
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 3:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

there are times that i wonder if many of you live in the city or suburb, because many of act like you have never lived in a major city. get use to stuff like that. i see it almost everyday here in san francisco, berkeley and oakland.

Crash_nyc
Username: Crash_nyc

Post Number: 508
Posted From: 24.193.39.60
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 6:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Johnny, Dove, agreed -- it's not uncommon.
Never saw this during the 20+ years I lived in Detroit, but I've seen plenty of it elsewhere. San Fran, Nawlins...or any given night in Times Square, NYC.

Unusual for Detroit, but so is the Super Bowl.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1408
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, these Bible folks actually seem kind of ok! From today's News:

quote:

"This is a beautiful thing going on in Detroit," said Coleman, a truck driver.

"Everyone is finally learning to put down their differences, have a good time and feel the camaraderie. We're showing them what Motown is about: good people and hard workers."

Kevin Farrer couldn't really disagree, even though his job requires him to travel from city to city warning festivalgoers to repent or suffer eternal damnation.

Amid a pouring rain and blank stares from crowds Saturday, Farrer wore a sandwich board that warned "drunkards, fornicators and liars" -- among others -- "hell awaits you."

"I'm sure there are a lot of drunkards out there, but this isn't that bad," said Farrer of the Bible Believers group.

"I'm from San Francisco, where there's some real zoo-like characters who'll pierce anything. These people look pretty nice and normal. They give me hope. We may have finally found the real America."

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2364
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"These people look pretty nice and normal. They give me hope. We may have finally found the real America."

Pathedic!

BTW, I hope some were carrying sandwich boards with pictures of dead Iraqis, telling Paul Wolfwowitz he's going to hell.

Thrice
Username: Thrice

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 2:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of these guys handed me a Trac last night and ask if I knew where I was going.....

I said, yeah, I'm going to Toms to get a burger.

Motownmark04
Username: Motownmark04

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 68.74.10.157
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 6:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At least two of the people who were at Campus Martius with the signs are regulars on the MSU campus. (They frequent Wells Hall, one of the busiest places on campus). My friends and I came down to downtown for the festivities and one of my friends immediately recognized one of the guys holding the signs, as the guy tore into him as he walked by. He told us that we all needed to be saved, find Jesus Christ, stop devoting ourselves to sports, etc. I had a simple remedy: Knowing that these people were extremely anti-Catholic, I told the man that I was Catholic and then slowly walked away as he ripped into all things Catholic. A good number of people got a laugh or two out of my whole encounter (myself included).

It's too bad that my first post in this forum in over three years is about these lunatics that rip into MSU students on a daily basis. I was hoping to respond to other things first but nothing came to mind until I read this thread.

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 457
Posted From: 68.61.98.175
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I saw the dead fetus truck being towed and impounded yesterday to overwhelming applause by passers-by. It's too bad those a**holes don't care as much about living children.

What gets me mad is several activist and labor groups who wanted to pass leaflets out were denied access and warned they'd be ejected from the area is they showed up and tried it. Free speech is for everybody. I don't even mind the pro-fetus people as long as they keep their fake blood splattered photoshop jobs to themselves. I don't mind being reminded about Jesus. Hand me a flyer that I can deposit in a trashcan if I don't want it. And give everybody a chance.

Jimaz

Post Number: 102
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 7:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why was the truck impounded?

Oldredfordette
Username: Oldredfordette

Post Number: 460
Posted From: 68.61.98.175
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 8:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It parked in a no-parking zone and it was a political billboard, which was forbidden (if it adveritsed a porn magazine or "energy" drink it would have been fine).

It was just fun to see the fetus freaks jump up and down.

Jimaz

Post Number: 104
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol :-) Equal justice for all.

Karl

Post Number: 1126
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ORF, at what point in your mother's pregnancy did you change from a fetus to a baby? And I take it that Mama was pro-life?

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 294
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 12:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

superbowl should stay good clean sports fun and all political and religious agendas need to stay out of it ..metro Detroit has a huge muslum population are they going to be out next with there signs ..lets leave it to superbowl fun and leave me out of the religious truf wars

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 187
Posted From: 68.41.153.99
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 1:01 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

your friend. not mine.

(Message edited by everydayislikesunday on February 05, 2006)

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 188
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 1:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

maybe we can have a FSC meeting when we all get there -- save me a seat you heathens!

(Message edited by everydayislikesunday on February 05, 2006)

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 847
Posted From: 204.39.225.136
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 2:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

anyone who is not white and doesnt have a long beard is going to hell

Sweet I am set. :-)

Mrjoshua
Username: Mrjoshua

Post Number: 665
Posted From: 69.209.184.163
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 4:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Tony & Tacky
February 3, 2006; Page W11
The Wall Street Journal

WEEKEND WARRIORS: Press coverage of Sunday's big game is unlikely to focus on the activities of "Citizens Against Super Bowl Idolatry." So let us list some reasons why this association of lay "street preachers" will work the crowd outside Detroit's stadium. In a press release, group member James Leonard Elsman says that Detroit is "a failed city, with [an] immature and corrupt mayor for a poor role model, as it nears bankruptcy." But wasted money isn't all. Mr. Elsman, a Michigan lawyer, calls the Super Bowl "one big bacchanal -- a Roman feast to the heathen god of football, an excuse to get drunk and carouse and gamble." Yet even street preachers know how to have some fun. Take Mr. Elsman's explanation of why his group will be effective on Sunday: "God used an ass to speak in the Bible. Our guys can do the job just as well."

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 141.217.84.60
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the guy in the picture above told me they travel all over the country spieling this stuff:

"Next stop -- Mardi Gras!"

Johnberk
Username: Johnberk

Post Number: 42
Posted From: 68.73.196.9
Posted on Monday, February 06, 2006 - 10:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This subject is being discussed at length at http://www.freerepublic.com/fo cus/f-news/1572545/posts

Here are some choice comments from the above thread:

"D is a liberal hell-hole wallowing in the bed of its own making. "

"Detroit looks like some third world Islamic hell-hole. Lots of Islamics there and it ain't pretty..."

"It is also a town where Wayne County Sheriff's deputies (not the Detroit Police) have to walk beats downtown in groups as armed gangs because the municipal police are too busy stripping cars at the impound yard."

And it goes on from there. Freerepublic.com is a magnet for all sorts of far-right nut jobs.....so if you visit the site, be prepared to drop your computer in a vat of Lysol afterwards.

Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 191
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's ironic that these people who claim to be doing their part to better the world, don't go about it by attempting unity or understanding. Instead they use hate tactics.

Thanks for posting the site, but I think I will refrain from visiting it. It is so depressing that there are so many sick, intolerant, hateful
people in the world.

"free republic," huh? riiight.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2896
Posted From: 129.137.207.221
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 1:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"And it goes on from there. Freerepublic.com is a magnet for all sorts of far-right nut jobs"

That must be where the forum got Karl, Mrjoshua and CraigD from.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.