Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » How long will these bars last? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 681
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Howdy,

So a few bars stick out in my mind.

The "Madison". The spot where that Post was supposed to go. I know that the new owners wanted to put a bar in there anyways. It doesn't look temporary either. Is it the real deal? Will it stick around for long?

Steel - where the old bat lounge was. I got a tour from the owner. Pretty cool layout. Upstairs has a nice view of the city.

Buzz - where the olf 546 was.

One on Woodward, by the winterblast. Didn't get the name. Looked temporary.

So, anybody have any insite into these places. Even if they are to be permanant, I hope they didn't rush the construction just to have janky bars with no character. I guess we'll see.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6660
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1 - There will be a permanent place. Too much investment for it to be a weekend thing.

2 - Don't know but I believe that it will stay open but I didn't even know they changed the name.

3 - Permanent

4 - Don't know, guessing temp.

Of course permanent is based upon how they do as business after the SB. The buzz will keep longer hours in the coffee house part so you can lounge with a cup of coffee after bar closing time.

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 69.212.59.139
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4. Aspen Lounge? I read it's temp with hope for perm. if that is the place you are speaking of. I believe the owner is a/former Judge.

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 69.212.59.139
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

4. Aspen Lounge? I read it's temp with hope for perm. if that is the place you are speaking of. I believe the owner is a/former Judge.

Thrice
Username: Thrice

Post Number: 67
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aspen was charging $11 for a Jack and Coke.

No thanks.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 68.77.160.147
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aspen has/had a temporary cabaret permit on the window valid until February 10.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1362
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The crazy thing about Steel is that the Bat Lounge had just recently added 2 very nice name signs ont he outside of the building.

Looked good. can't believe they did that and then changed the name.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 861
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 7:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's got to be a temporary name (a play on "Steelers"). I'll bet it's called the Bat again after this weekend.

Alobar
Username: Alobar

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 69.136.149.45
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 8:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

For sure... I was a bit suprised at the bat name change too... must be ploy to grab a few steelers fans.

Cmubryan
Username: Cmubryan

Post Number: 213
Posted From: 68.42.169.179
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The "Madison's on Braodway" is going to close after the superbowl just so they can finish it. If you go inside you will see the floor isn't completed (its concrete) and a lot of the other finishing touches aren't done. Its pretty cool, considering they through it together in about a week! They plan to reopen it very soon though. This is all according to one of the workers I talked to.

That other temporary bar on Woodward is in some old store but I couldn't figure out which one. Maybe Woolworths? They left everything from the 60s wood paneling, nasty drop down ceiling, old tile floor, antiquated escalator and elevator (not in operation) and store closing signs!

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9881
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 8:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Funny thing about Seahawk central at Steel. The owner of the Bat Lounge was out in Washington this past summer and got to talking to this guy. He asked the owner if the Seahwawks were to make it to the Super Bowl if he could park his bus out front of the place. That's right, that big ass bus that was decked out like a team bus was owned by an individual, a Seahawk fan! That is why it became Seahawk central. Cool story I thought.

Skeptic
Username: Skeptic

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 68.60.136.207
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Madison on Broadway will close up and the final touches [completely gutted and finished to final standards] will be put on in time for the Tigers [Very soon is a relative term].

Hopefully the roof top lounge will be open for the start of the season - the view to The Copa is awesome.

The joint next to CVS was very temporary and the site is yet to have a permanent tenant.

I'm a skeptic, but Detroit did well.

Kathleen
Username: Kathleen

Post Number: 1164
Posted From: 69.14.122.57
Posted on Friday, February 10, 2006 - 1:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's ModelD's take on The Buzz Bar:

"The bar will offer DJs and live music, says Glenn Novak, owner of Buzz Bar and former owner of Music Menu.

After its grand opening Jan. 29, the bar will be open for coffee at 7 a.m. and stay open until 2 a.m. Sunday through Thursday, and until 4 a.m. on Fridays and Saturdays for the after-bar crowd."

http://www.modeldmedia.com/dev elopmentnews/buzzbar.aspx

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.