Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » DETROIT BRINGS 'EM BACK: Freep article « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6655
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 2:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://freep.com/apps/pbcs.dll /article?AID=2006602030446

DETROIT BRINGS 'EM BACK: Like tourists in own town, suburbanites gape at view

This jumped out at me. Coming from that mecca warren. I wonder if he is a Steenbergh lackey with shit like this.

quote:

His friend Jim Stachowski, who lives in Warren, said the last time he took a walk in Detroit, it was a tense 3-block march from his parking spot to Comerica Park for the All-Star Game last summer. He carried a concealed .38-caliber handgun -- he said he didn't feel safe without it.

I wonder if old Jimmy has a CCW permit.

Or there are these people:

quotr{That unease is why 49-year-old Sean Carney and his family, from Harrison Township, have "spent more time on the streets of Chicago than we have on the streets of Detroit," Carney said. He did his best to make up for it Thursday. He gave his daughter, 7-year-old Katelyn, her first tour of the city, pointing out the streets he visited as a child.

"It's great to be able to finally show her this stuff," he said.}

I didn't realize that she was unable to see the stuff previously.

People sicken me sometimes. While I like the investment in the city and I like people re-aquanting themselves with the city but I am guessing people like Sean Carney and his daughter will not be coming back to Detroit in the future. I am betting that Sean is pounding his chest hollering 'Yay-Detroit' just to start bashing it again come Monday.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1353
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Its awesome -- I truly believe that what we need to make this a world class city is more people from Warren, Taylor, Livonia, and Macomb township.

Think of the culture, and the arts, and the great restaurants, and the shopping that will need to be in place in order to satisfy these folks.

Can't wait!

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1389
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, like good Christians, perhaps we can give them the benefit of the doubt?

We were all newbies at one point!

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 342
Posted From: 68.250.97.237

It is really sad, I'm glad that I grew up in a household where my parents didn't raise me to be afraid of the city. A lot of kids I grew up with in the burbs only thought of the city as a shithole that nobody should ever go to EVER, except for every major event that came to the area, and sports games (go figure).

As sad as it is though, at least they're going down there. One of those aforementioned kids I grew up with will never go to the city, for anything, and thats the saddest part of all.

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

He carried a concealed .38-caliber handgun -- he said he didn't feel safe without it.

Unfortunately I know people like this. One of my Mom's in laws told her to take a gun when she went to Mt. Olivet to see family graves. The cemetery- what a hot spot of crime.

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1354
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Unfortunately I know people like this

There are people like that with 10,000 posts...

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know how you can judge these people coming down for the first time in a long time. They finally annied up and came down...didn't they? I can tell you as a 25 year old suburbanite, that my generation loves downtown in general. Our parents are still mostly scared shitess. They remember the riots, they remember the national guard and the curfews. I am proud to say that the MWB got my Dad out and walking around the city for the first time in years. He had gone to w ings game or a tigers game, but not WALKED the city, and that is what we need. So give these people some due, and be nice to them so they will come down and eat/drink/shop in the future.

Jt1

Post Number: 6657
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 823
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol @ dabirch...... twice!

people and their silly emotional baggage about this city....so glad I didn't grow up anywhere near here

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 1006
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

His friend Jim Stachowski, who lives in Warren, said the last time he took a walk in Detroit, it was a tense 3-block march from his parking spot to Comerica Park for the All-Star Game last summer. He carried a concealed .38-caliber handgun -- he said he didn't feel safe without it.

I call Bull Schidt. How did he get into the stadium with a concealed weapon? And if he did, isn't that against the law?

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1396
Posted From: 209.131.7.68
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...this is wierd...

I'm eating my lunch of chinese take out, reading this Free Press article. Then after I finish (both) and get to the fortune cookie, this is my fortune:

"Friends long absent are coming back to you."

Jt1

Post Number: 6658
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Dial I agree. I think that this will bring about positive attitude changes for many in SE Michigan. I have always believed that we spend too much time worrying about impressing people around the world when we really need to get people in SE Michigan back into Detroit.

My issue is the 'we wouldn't go before' or the 'I need to carry my gun' stuff that is all non-sense.

I would feel less safe walking some parts of Van Dyke in Warren at night as opposed to downtown.

The fact that the Freep and these people could take a positive spin and throw in the old stereotypes and ignorant attitudes is what bothers me.

For the others that are re-discovering Detroit. Welcome, enjoy yourself and come back. Tell a friend or two about the good time.

(Message edited by jt1 on February 03, 2006)

Ltrain
Username: Ltrain

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 69.212.59.139
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 4:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good god where do they find these people? Skating rink only open for SBXL? Wake up people!

Wilus1mj
Username: Wilus1mj

Post Number: 24
Posted From: 216.111.89.3
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 5:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All-star game weekend had just as many police on streetcorners as the Superbowl. I don't think the gun was necessary.....I laughed at that when I read it this morning.

The point of "lost suburbanites" coming back is valid and hopefully will come back after the game too.

Detroiternthemist
Username: Detroiternthemist

Post Number: 1
Posted From: 64.118.149.50
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 5:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'd like to welcome myself to this forum long time reader first time posting. Thank you. I'm hoping that this will be a strong catalyst to something special, but sadly I believe that after sunday. It will be business as usual meaning KK bashing and hell hole comments.

Jt1

Post Number: 6663
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If only a few people change their attitudes it is a start.

Rbdetsport
Username: Rbdetsport

Post Number: 61
Posted From: 68.60.133.115
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"His children skated for the first time in Campus Martius. Murphy had thought the rink was set up just for the Super Bowl. When he learned it was there all winter, he said he and his family would be back."

Wow, that is just pathetic. Do they ever watch the news advertising this thing? The city is showing off its stuff. Its amazing!

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 505
Posted From: 69.246.5.196
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm guessing this guy would have shot at the first homeless guy asking for change, or the first black person he thought was "looking at him". What sickens me is knowing how many dumb fucks like this exist in the region. They're the ones who REALLY make downtown unsafe.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 272
Posted From: 69.242.220.249
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 7:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That guy is full of it. First of all, I seem to remember there being metal detectors to get into CoPa for the ASG. Second of all, even with a CCW you can't take the pistol into a sporting arena with seating for over 2,500. Third, if he was carrying then, he was carrying when interviewed.

Goat
Username: Goat

Post Number: 8112
Posted From: 65.92.103.230
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 7:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...but guns are making it safe for everyone. CCWs are an even beter idea because we all need them.

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 273
Posted From: 69.242.220.249
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 8:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better to have and not need than the other way around, goes the thinking.

Cynknight
Username: Cynknight

Post Number: 58
Posted From: 69.209.159.57
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 8:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm optimistic about some people rediscovering Detroit - maybe not many, but better than none. And the guy who didn't know about the rink being a permanent part of the park - well, if you don't live in or visit a city, you CAN be totally unaware of this type of thing. Those of us who visit this forum have an intense interest in most things to do with Detroit - the average suburbanite does not.

Tomoh
Username: Tomoh

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 68.40.205.183
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Me too, Cynknight. After the Superbowl is over and everyone leaves, we'll at least have all the new stores and restaurants that have opened up in the past 3 years, thousands of people in the suburbs will have been positively reintroduced to downtown Detroit and will hopefully come back regularly, and outside investors will gain a new interest in the area. I think many people feel the same way as the people interviewed in the article and hopefully they can laugh a little at themselves for being so silly.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.