Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Kronk event at the Fisher Building « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 68.252.125.136
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:00 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went tonight and it was really cool event. Spoke with Aretha Franklin and Sheriff Evans, Al Taubman and Emanual Lewis...Saw The Mayor, Mary Wells, The Contours(sp?), Lennox Lewis and Hilmer Kenty. The place was packed with the who's who of Detroit. I would bet that there were more Detroit Celebs at this event than any of the Super Bowl events and the best part was that the money all went to the Kronk Gym.

Everydayislikesunday
Username: Everydayislikesunday

Post Number: 184
Posted From: 68.41.153.99
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Glad to hear it went well....it's a shame that the event didnt get more publicity, i completely forgot about it.

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 68.252.125.136
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It didn't need any more publicity. I forgot to mention, THE PLACE WAS PACKED. You could barely move. After rubbing elbows and everything else we went and stood on the second floor overlooking the ring. Great view.

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 2018
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

two espn articles:

Boxing mecca needs $1M annually to survive

quote:

...the world famous Kronk Gym, a bruised, battered and beaten-down rec room that has produced 50 amateur boxing champions, 30 world champions and three Olympic gold medalists.

Tommy Hearns, Evander Holyfield, Lennox Lewis, Michael Moorer, Oscar De La Hoya, Prince Naseem Hamed .… they've all trained here. They've all read those last words, entered the room with the cracked walls, the peeling paint and the missing floor tiles and allowed legendary trainer Emanuel Steward to push them to places they never imagined possible.

"This is the Mecca," said Andy Lee, a 21-year-old Irish middleweight whose dreams of being next are sustained right now by the sweat pouring down his yellow Kronk tank. "I've trained all over the world -- Cuba, Italy, Russia, Finland -- but nothing compares to this. There's an attitude, a confidence. Walk through that door and it just hits you."

On the inside, nothing awaits Lee and the others but pain. Fight through it, though, and there's opportunity. A shot at fame. And a way out.

To those entrenched in the boxing world, permanently locking Kronk's doors would be like closing Wrigley Field or tearing down the Apollo Theatre. It's an institution. Perhaps no single room in America -- with its two heavy bags, two speed bags and one lonesome ring -- has produced more boxing champions than this one.

For a $35 yearly fee, the gym is open to anyone 8 years or older. Every weekday afternoon, it serves two purposes: For the larger bodies, it builds champions; for the smaller ones, it builds confidence. There are boys, girls, men, women, whites, blacks, Hispanics, Arabs. Everyone from an Atlanta Braves minor leaguer trying to stay in shape during the offseason to super-smiling 8-year-olds who hop around like wind-up toys.

The Kronk produces many uncrowned champions

quote:

The sparring sessions in Philadelphia gyms are legendary; the ones in this Detroit club were gothic and everyday.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.