Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Staples Coming Soon? « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Peanut_breath
Username: Peanut_breath

Post Number: 125
Posted From: 66.73.225.162
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A sign was erected in the past couple days on the corner of E. Jefferson and Jos Campau reading "Staples Coming Soon." Does anybody have any further information about this.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1544
Posted From: 68.61.196.207
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think they are going to build Staples on that empty lot. Staples is a store where that mainly sells office supplies but also sells other items one might use in an office.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1383
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Site of the old Doctors Hospital.

There was info on this when the condo conversion of the building across Jos. Campau was announced. I cannot remember any details at all, but I believe it is the same developer.

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 701
Posted From: 208.39.170.77
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really need some privacy envelopes...

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 141
Posted From: 192.217.12.254
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 12:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No - but isn't that sign self-explanatory? They probably don't know the timetable themselves.

To save other people the trouble of saying the predictible things I see every time the mere possibility of a new business is announced here, I will put down:

<cynicism>
1. Woo-hoo. Now we are big time. We will have *two* office supply chain stores in 143 square miles. Watch out Chicago and New York. We're catching up.

2. [Fill in the blank], why do you always complain about no office supplies? Count your blessings. After all, we now have Office Depot, Staples and Avalon Office Supplies. Sure, Office Despot is all the way across town, Staples won't open until 2007, and Avalon carries only expensive organic pencils. But you can get anything you want in Detroit. One should be enough. That's city life. You have to put up with some inconvenience.

3. Boy, I hope they don't make a suburban type store. Sure, a Staples has a certain minimum square footage that would eat the entire Doctor's Hospital Lot, and the property borders on a huge strip mall, but dammit, I want an urban look and feel. Nice, old style mercury lights and walkup from the sidewalk.

4. Are they going to sell those velvet pictures that where you fill it in with marker? Can I special order the one with the basket of kittens? Do you think they'll have pink Sharpie markers? I need the grey ones too to color the kittens. I don't want to drive a couple of miles further to GP to get these essential supplies.

</cynicism>

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 64
Posted From: 67.107.47.65
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sorry to also be predictable but : LOL at Huggybear
:-)

Reetz12
Username: Reetz12

Post Number: 23
Posted From: 216.144.213.130
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 4:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The staples is to be 14,650 sq ft and there is a retail building shell being built at 10,850 sq ft. seperated by a parking lot. The project is to be completed by Sept 2006.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 427
Posted From: 12.2.196.17
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now there's a way to build up downtown. Office supply store.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6650
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

E Jefferson and Jos Campau isn't necessaily downtown. It is also a store that sells things that people need on a daily basis and will more than likely employ people in the area.

Architecturally and location wise there could be better but it is a store that offers goods to residents (assuming they aren't 9-5 M-F) and will create jobs in the city.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3023
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Huggybear. Nice list but you forgot to invoke Skipper's Rules. Full cynicism requires atleast Skipper's Rules.

"Believe it when you see it open for business."

Wasn't Staples one of the better properties K-Mart once owned?

jjaba.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 664
Posted From: 64.139.64.80
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 6:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

such a shame...when I lived at Garden Court they tore down Doctor's Hospital (and yes, if you're reading my other posts here...I've been "around the block" with apartments in the D).

They were speculating that hilton was going to be built there and the buzz was how we were going to loose our view. I didn't care...as long as the building looked good.

One thing I always thought was a hoot...the stripmall next door (where Hollywood Video Used to be) was built with an attemp, maybe cheesy, to be contextual with Dr's Hospital. That strip wasn't opened 5 days when they began tearing down the hospital! Typical Detroit

Dabirch
Username: Dabirch

Post Number: 1351
Posted From: 208.44.117.10
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 6:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I know is that I had to make a made dash out to Staples on Mack in GP Monday night because the downtown Kinko's did not have envelopes, and nothing else was open.

This being at 7:30.

Luckily the GP store was open until 9:00.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3024
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 6:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Having to go all the way to Grosse Pointe for envelopes?
Walgreens, CVS, Farmer Jack sell envelopes.

jjaba.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 418
Posted From: 65.221.183.220
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hooray for Staples! One by one we will have all that others have!

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3133
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 6:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's good to see chains taking on East Jefferson. A great city includes a fair number of both chain and independent retailers, and Staples is a very good fit for that area.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1492
Posted From: 70.237.9.115
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 6:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Wasn't Staples one of the better properties K-Mart once owned?

jjaba.

No, you're thinking of Office Max.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1431
Posted From: 68.255.237.155
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Always thought the lot would be a good selling for the Garden Court if they bought it and used it for parking. Guess the price was too high.

To this day I still don't know where residents in the Garden Court park there cars. I drive along that area often and never see an abundance of cars. How many apartments, now condos, does the Garden Court have? Where do the residents park?

BTW, Quinn, I remember thinking the same thing about the Hollywood Videos look. Then, just like that, the hospital was torn down.

Quinn
Username: Quinn

Post Number: 665
Posted From: 68.42.170.20
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is a garage just to the south where maybe 24 cars can park, and an adjoining lot for another 20 or so (I'm bad with estimating). We had 1 spot in the garage and 1 spot in the lot. There was a waiting list for the garage when we first moved in (lived there three years) and when one was available for us we jumped on it.

I remember alot of the residents parking on the street too.

Originally, there were 4 apartments on every floor, split between 2 elevator shafts. Those were HUGE apartments and were eventually split several different ways...I really don't know how many apartments/condos are in there now.

BTW we did recently go through them and they are quite fantastic...although I disagree with the plan for forced air systems...it's destroying alot of detail in some of the units...

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3677
Posted From: 71.67.156.72
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 9:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

YAY Staples. Detroit's first ever office supply store.

Bobj
Username: Bobj

Post Number: 424
Posted From: 68.40.89.238
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It does make day to day life easier if you live and work in Detroit.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 177
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No picture, but the Staples in downtown Kingston, Ontario was built with a historic flare and integrates reasonably well with the downtown (no parking lot on the main street).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.