Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Debbie Responds! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 423
Posted From: 69.14.238.105
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey folks.. Guess what Debbie Stabenow responded to my email: Here's her reply.. (though it seems canned to me)

Thank you . . .

. . . for contacting me about proposed cuts to Amtrak. I share your strong concerns.

At a time when Amtrak is setting ridership records and congestion at our airports and highways continues to increase, it is critical that we maintain access to essential and convenient rail transportation. I signed a letter, along with several of my colleagues, urging the Senate Budget Committee to restore full funding for Amtrak to prevent the shutdown of all Amtrak services. On March 16, 2005, I voted for an amendment to restore federal funding for Amtrak. Unfortunately, this amendment did not pass and was not included in the final Senate version of the budget.

As the budget moves through the legislative process, I will continue to fight to restore funding for Amtrak. Thank you again for taking the time to contact my office. Please feel free to do so again whenever I can be of assistance to you and your family.

Sincerely,

A

Debbie Stabenow

United States Senator

DS:es

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 732
Posted From: 69.212.62.92
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Shouldn't this one go under the Celebrity Sighting thread?

Digitaldom
Username: Digitaldom

Post Number: 424
Posted From: 69.14.238.105
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No not at all.. This was a response to my mass transit from Detroit to Ann Arbor letter to Debbie... Where everyone and there mother harassed me out my grammer and proper spelling, tone, and my education... Rather an OVERLY harsh thread on my goofs...

Jsmyers
Username: Jsmyers

Post Number: 1386
Posted From: 69.220.233.220
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 1:35 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It is canned. I've got the same one.

Unfortunately, in my case, it didn't even respond to most of what I was saying.

I think it is more effective to call them

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1173
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 3:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So what exactly is the deal? I thought it was the Blue Water to Port Huron, and the Marquette to G. Rapids, both reliant on the state, which are about to be cut by the Governor's approval.

What is going to happen to the federally funded Wolverine line, which, I have to say, has helped me quite a bit getting between Ann Arbor and Detroit, and which is often quite full? (all the stations have had increased ridership in the past year, too)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1381
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 4:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ahhh, constituent letters. Back in the day, when I was a young legislative assistant on Capitol Hill, working for one of our fine, now retired, Democratic congressman, it was my job to write this kind of boilerplate response to concerned citizens.

It doesn't mean they don't care. It just means more than one person wrote about it.

The down side? The legislator takes a brief glance at the reply MAYBE (otherwise it's the chief of staff) and you get the generic response. It is definitely much better to ask in person, if you want a real-er reply (it still will be a little canned).

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.