Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » MetroTimes and National Post [Toronto] ink « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 259
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 9:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell says . . .
. . . SBXL visitors and other out-of-towners should stand at Belle Isle's western end and look at "those twin icons, the Ambassador Bridge and the Renaissance Center," as he told Kim Herron for a MetTimes feature this week.

quote:

Boileau, the creator the DetroitYES and Fabulous Ruins of Detroit sites on the Web, says he starts tours for out-of-towners here, pointing out a place inhabited for millennia by Native Americas and where the arrival of Cadillac 300 years ago set in motion what you see today: a city extending 40 miles or more in every direction. Boileau says it's like seeing "a giant storyboard just waiting for a script."

Catch other recommendations at: http://www.metrotimes.com/edit orial/story.asp?id=8827

You'll see that LB's pagetop banner is much more vivid that the weekly's somewhat similar image. .

(Message edited by RealityCheck on February 01, 2006)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 161
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell was also featured prominently in an article in Tuesday’s the National Post (a national newspaper out of Toronto). The site is www.nationalpost.com and the article is in the Sports section; however, you need to subscribe to the paper in order to read it. I don't subscribe, but my office buys the paper copy.

Anyone out there with a login/password for the Post that they would like to share? Anyone with a copy of yesterday's paper and a scanner?

Also, although the sports section is politically neutral, the National Post is Canada's national right wing paper. I don't think that means Lowell's politics are shifting....

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1207
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.canada.com/topics/s ports/football/superbowl2006/s tory.html?id=ce423c27-2979-411 7-bf74-645a540f6345

Subscription not needed

Lowell
Board Administrator
Username: Lowell

Post Number: 2243
Posted From: 66.167.58.237
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is the full text of what I sent to the MT inquiry. Obviously for space consideration they couldn't quote it fully, so I will share it here.

"While touring newcomers to our city, I always end up by walking them out to the far western tip of Belle Isle, often with a fine bottle of wine and snacks. There, from that peaceful and stunning panorama, dominated by those twin icons of Detroit, the Ambassador Bridge and the Renaissance Center, I tell the story of Detroit.

"I explain to them that we are sitting amid Le Detroit, the straits of Detroit, after which the City of Detroit is named. I point out that we are an international metropolis, the world’s largest, and are blessed to be next to and at peace with a great and progressive neighbor, Canada.

"I describe how we are an ancient city, inhabited for millennia by native Americans, then point out where Cadillac landed with his tiny flotilla of canoes over 300 years ago beyond which the city now extends for forty miles or more in every direction. I show them where the first big auto factory stood and tell the story of the amazing rise of modern industrial Detroit. I move on to the story of our travails of disunity in the last half of the 20th century beginning with the 1943 riots by the Belle Isle Bridge and continue through to the story of the reemergent rise of today’s Detroit.

"It all lies right there, a giant storyboard just awaiting a script. That is the reason I use that vista as the header of my website."

Thewack
Username: Thewack

Post Number: 192
Posted From: 71.125.244.135
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Lowell says "knock you out" :-)

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 162
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good find _sj_.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.