Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » CORETTA SCOTT KING DIES AT 78 « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 986
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 9:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just heard this on Fox 2 News......

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 703
Posted From: 4.229.69.53
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My home was hit with the same shockwave at the same time LQ.

:-(

This woman truely suffered the ultimate sacrifice for the cause. I think the women behind the men in the limelight are often overlooked. Some even were with their husbands at the time of their martyrdom.

Dr. Betty Shabazz watched her husband be slaughtered while sitting in the front row with her children.

Jackie Kennedy held her husband and was looking in his face when he was shot in the head.

Ethel Kennedy comforted her mortally wounded husband as he uttered his last words to her, "am I going to die?".
She gave it to him straight, "Yes dear, I am afraid so."

Myrlie Evans was startled one night by the sound of a single rifle shot in her driveway while waiting for her husband to return home.

I dare say that it would be easier to sacrfice yourself than your spouse. These women had to carry on in the aftermath, and for the life of me I can not comprehend what that must have been like.

Zulu_warrior
Username: Zulu_warrior

Post Number: 2453
Posted From: 68.251.27.41
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

IKOLEKTA LESIBILI ELOKUCELA UKUTULA.
NKULUNKULU okuvela kuwe ukutula, ongumtandi wokuvumelana ; ukwazi wena kung'ukupila okupakade, ukukonza wena ku ngukubusa impela ; Sivlkele tina'bantu bako abatobekileyo lapo abay'impi kiti besihlaselayo; ukuba tina esitembela kuwe singesab' amandhla ezita kiti; ngamandhla kaJesu Kristu inKosi yetu. Amen.

IKOLEKTA LESITATU ELOKUCELA AMANDHLA.

NKOSI, Baba wasezulwini, Nkulunkulu, mNinimandhla onke, opakade, wena osilondolozile kahle saza sabona ukuqala kwalolu'lusuku; Sivikele ngalo ngamandhla ako amakulu; usipe ukuba namhla singoni ngaluto, singangeni ebucayini; kodwa izenzo zetu zonke mazihlelwe nguwe, senze ngezikati zonke okulungileyo emhlaweni ako; ngaye uJesu Kristu inKosi yetu. Amen.

¶ Akuhlatshelelwe lapa iGama.

¶ Anduba kulandele lemiTandazo enaihlanu; kepa uma kwenziwa iLitany, makwenziwe emibili yokugcina kupela endaweni yawo eLitany.

NUMTANDAZO WOKUTANDAZELA INKOSI UKING.

NKOSI, Baba wasezulwini, wena ongapezu kwako konke, mNinimandhla onke, nKosi yamakosi, mBusi wababusi, wena wedwa ohlela amakosi, obabonavo bonke abakileyo emhlabeni, usesihlalweni sobukosi bako; Sincenga wena ukuba ubheke ngomusa umbusi wetu omnene, uGeorge uKing wakiti ; umgcwalise ngamandhla ka Moya wako oy'iNgewele, ukuze avumele njalo okubonwa nguwe, ahambe ngendhlela yako; umengezelele kakulu izipo zako zasezulwini; umupe ukubamba kade nokuhlala kamnandi nokufuya ; umqinise anqobe ahlule izita zonke kuye; kuze kuti, ukudhlula kwake kuloku'kuhamba, afinyelele ekutokozeni okupakade; ngaye uJesu Kristu inKosi yetu. Amen.

Spaceboykelly
Username: Spaceboykelly

Post Number: 117
Posted From: 69.246.30.248
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 10:46 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I appreciated that Coretta Scott King not only fought for the rights of blacks, but expanded her struggle against social injustice to include women, gays, and the impoverished.

She knew all discrimination was interrelated, and did everything she could to stop it. Coretta Scott King thought for herself, fought the good fight, and will be missed.

Mauser765

Post Number: 704
Posted From: 4.229.27.76
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both Coretta and Martin realised ultimately that the real cause was a larger Human Rights issue. In my mind, that is when they crossed over from being activists into becoming Prophets.

While we mourn here, we can be comforted that Martin and Coretta are together again .

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey Zulu,

Care to give us a translation?

1honey
Username: 1honey

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Rest in Peace, Mrs. King

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 657
Posted From: 69.246.119.198
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 12:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Another one of america's great Black female inspirations of american imagination and possibility has died.

Her physical frame has left us__'but not to get it twisted', her grand and great legacy will forever be in our soul to provide the force, the energy, and the power to our people for nourishment and regeneration.

super d(motordetroit)

Shave
Username: Shave

Post Number: 1002
Posted From: 172.151.182.11
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 1:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ms. King will always be respected, loved, admired, and honored for her unwavering devotion to her husband and his wonderful legacy. She is truly a "Phenonmenal Woman" and is definitely the First Lady of Black America. This news came as a shock to me. My first emotion was sadness. So I wept. Then I thought about how Ms. King always carried herself as a lady during the tumultuous Civil Rights Era, through years of lobbying the federal government to honor her husband's legacy and contribution to our fair country, and even now as the King Center face structural/financial issues. She is definitely the definition of grace under pressure. Not only is Ms. King a physical and stunning beauty; her inner strength and beauty magnifies the outer beauty. So I am no longer sad that Ms. King is no longer here in the flesh. Rather, I am grateful for the living, breathing example of a STRONG, BLACK WOMAN. Her spirit lives on forever.

Leoqueen
Username: Leoqueen

Post Number: 987
Posted From: 207.74.195.249
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I wept too, Shave. This fine, stoic, stately woman has been a part of my life for as long as I can remember.....that photo of her with head uplifted at the funeral, with the black veil only slighly hiding her tears, while she comforted her youngest daughter Bernice.....I cant imagine the torment she experienced.

I wonder how she withstood the rift in her family in these later days, caused in large part by the debate about the fate of the King Center. It must have been like a stone in her heart......

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1663
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 1:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm feeling the same kind of loss now as I did when I heard when Rosa Parks died. Another pioneer has passed and we are all the poorer for their passing. I hope we can all carry on some of their legacy in some form. Again, when people talk about these people as being Civil Rights leaders- I consider them more Human Rights leaders than anything else.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6609
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more civil liberty great lost.

Hopefully the passing of Corretta Scott King and Rosa Parks will encourge people to read about the sacrifices of civil liberty legends and it will motivate them to act.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3672
Posted From: 141.217.174.230
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 2:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Resquiat in pace, Collata Scott King. You are truly the queen of all civil rights leader. Your legacy will continue forver.

(Message edited by danny on January 31, 2006)

Llyn
Username: Llyn

Post Number: 1402
Posted From: 68.61.197.206
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Amen.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 658
Posted From: 69.246.119.198
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This passing reminds me of all great Black Women__ always in the forefront of our inner struggle, providing defense of our Black men in the hidden.

"behind every great Black woman, there are a hundred more."

Coretta Scott King
Dr. Betty Shabazz
Mirly Everette Williams
Georgiana Simpson
Harriet Tubman
Madam Black
Angela Davis
Mayo Angelo
Sojourner Truth
Asada Shakar
Fannie Lou Hammer
Aretha Franklin
Carolyn Kilpatrick
Vivian Mcdaniel

Peace to all ma' sistas in the struggle.

super d(motordetroit)

Username: 1953

Post Number: 673
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this thread Detroit related?

1honey

Post Number: 82
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 4:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We made it Detroit related!!!

Username: 1953

Post Number: 674
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 4:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So, couldn't any thread be made Detroit related?

1honey

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 4:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe queen didn't realize that she posted in Discuss Detroit thread.

1honey

Post Number: 86
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/01/ 31/obit.king/index.html

CNN video of Mrs. Coretta Scott-King

Mauser765

Post Number: 705
Posted From: 4.229.27.77
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 8:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Martin King wrote the "I Have A Dream" speech for DETROIT.

It was so powerful he later adapted a longer version for the march on DC.

Berry Gordy owned the label that holds the copyrights to the DC speech sound recording. That was when Motown was in DETROIT.

K- now this is a DETROIT thread !

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 3000
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 8:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

She lived a meaningful, long life.
She and her sojourners labored for the cause of freedom and liberty for all. They changed the face of Detroit and America, the World.

jjaba, 3,000th post dedicated to Coretta Scott King

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.