Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The 'S' word... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1162
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 7:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all know that snow would liven up downtown a bit (as if it needs more life right now) and would certainly make Winterblast awesome. Right now it looks like we will continue with more of the same above normal temperatures through Friday, and then it will definitly be cold for Saturday and Sunday. The question is, will the major storm forecast to come out of the Rockies/Plains bring us heavy snow? The forecasters are beginning to deal with the prospect of a storm somewhere in the Saturday-Sunday timeframe. I don't think that even a foot of snow could cripple this Super Bowl, since it is centered downtown and crews can focus all their resources there. But it would be quite a novelty and would add an element to the intense media coverage in the city.

We'll use this thread to provide links to different weather resources and keep each other updated on the latest forecast all week.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/

Hamtramck_steve
Username: Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2675
Posted From: 69.209.188.186
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll toss in Accuweather.

http://wwwa.accuweather.com/fo recast-15day.asp?partner=accuw eather&myadc=0&traveler=1&zipc ode=48226&metric=0

(Message edited by Hamtramck Steve on January 30, 2006)

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 801
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 7:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I can't complain too much since I am in the process of moving, this warm weather is pretty disconcerting...

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1163
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 7:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It would be disconcerting if it forced the cancellation of certain aspects of Winterblast.

With about 4-5 straight warm weeks, we all know that it is bound to change, and with our luck it will happen on Super Weekend.

Boshna
Username: Boshna

Post Number: 118
Posted From: 141.213.217.188
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 8:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great thread idea Mackinaw.

The snow will not cause problems with the Winterblast at all. Last year I drove 4 friends from Ann Arbor to Winterblast. There was close to a foot of fresh snow on the ground that day. Nothing was cancelled at all and the place was still packed. Trudging down the middle of a snow-covered John R with others heading down to CM was a wonderful wonderful experience.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3119
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Global Waring-atcha! :-)

Seriously, there are always a few off us that decry that the earth is getting warmer every year, but it does seems as if winters are getting milder even since I've been born (20 years). It really sucks, IMO. A winter without snow looks so bad outside.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2676
Posted From: 69.209.188.186
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Winter's milder here, but it's a record-breaking cold in Europe. Last week, subway tracks cracked in Austria, Germany closed a canal to shipping and a zoo had to bring their PENGUINS inside.

I never saw any news reports about what kind of penguins these are, but they are some lame-ass birds.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 43
Posted From: 4.229.15.241
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 10:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At present, the most interesting situation setting up for the next week is the (perhaps temporary) return of below-freezing high temps for Saturday and Sunday. This appears to correlate with a system moving through Friday night-Saturday morning. Precip would start as rain and change to snow by late Friday night. Some significant snow could result, but the warmer ground and later transition to snow in Detroit will likely keep any accumulations fairly light (think along the lines of the last expected snow). I don't see anything in the models to suggest any major snow issues on Sunday. The best chance will be if the Sat.-Sun. storm moves further north than it looks to do now.

Having said all of that, forecasting beyond 3 days is reliable, but never certain, and going beyond 5 days can be haphazard at best, especially with regard to yet-to-develop systems.

Accuweather sucks.

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 148.61.248.29
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 11:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the city should buy a few giant fake palm trees and plop them in Campus Martius :-)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1164
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 3:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Boshna, like you say, the snow would make Winterblast exponentially cooler. Last year was up north quality.

This forecast model is widely used, and at last check looked pretty ominous: http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/p mb/nwprod/analysis/namer/gfs/0 0/index_p24_s_loop.shtml

slow the animation down a bit and watch how 1 to 2 inches of moisture plumes right through lower Michigan late Saturday and Sunday. That adds up to tons of possible snow.

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 907
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 4:04 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

www.wunderground.com is my fav.

I'm hoping for snow. I was there for Christmas and it SUCKED.

I can't believe the warmth. People are probably forgetting what "real" winter is supposed to be.

I think snow would make the superbowl uniquely detroit. A good several inches would be perfect. A blizzard like in Pontiac superbowl would probably be bad.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1165
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 8:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

...an update for tuesday:

cold weather looks like a lock for this weekend (hopefully the complaining will be minimized by the not too harsh days now through Friday)...looks like some snow will likely occur, but the forecasts are all over in terms of whether the storm will go along the eastern Appalachians or more towards Ohio/Ontario...this would be the difference between 2 or 12 inches of snow.

In other words, let's revive this thread come Thursday or Friday.

Mikem
Username: Mikem

Post Number: 2347
Posted From: 68.43.15.105
Posted on Tuesday, January 31, 2006 - 8:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Climate Prediction Center has just issued its latest "Hazards Assessment" showing heavy lake effect snow over our area, but lake effect snow tends to be hit or miss around here, so don't hold your breath:

http://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/p roducts/predictions/threats/th reats.gif

quote:

For Friday February 03 - Sunday February 05:

Periods of heavy rain and mountain snow will persist for the Pacific Northwest and northern California as a series of storms move inland. Due to the antecedent wet conditions, river flooding is possible along the coastal ranges of the Pacific Northwest. A low pressure system is expected to develop over the Central U.S. early in the period. This system is expected to deepen rapidly and move northeastward into eastern Canada late in the period. The models have not been very consistent on the exact evolution of this system but it is possible that the trailing cold front could bring severe weather to parts of the southeast. As the storm deepens windy wet conditions are likely for parts of the eastern CONUS but confidence in the details of the impacts of this storm is low. The lack of cold air in place over the eastern U.S. suggests that snow/winter weather will be limited to the extreme northwest periphery of this storm. Strong winds on the backside of this developing storm could lead to critical fire weather conditions over the southern Plains. A series of strong storms will move in from off the northeast Pacific towards the Aleutians and south coastal Alaska. These storms will bring heavy rain and coastal gales to this region. The extremely cold temperatures over north/central Alaska early in the period are expected to moderate as southerly flow around the backside of a building upper-level ridge advects milder air into the region.

Miss_cleo
Username: Miss_cleo

Post Number: 85
Posted From: 69.47.85.139
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the worst winter ever and I am supremely upset that we have no snow. THis is Michigan for goodness sake! I am planning on moving farther North, cause the winters here have become to mild and I just dont like it. I WANT snow!

Pisses me off, when we get moisture, its in the 40's, when its in the lower 30's there is no moisture to be found...wtf?!?

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 806
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 10:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

i'm totally with you on that miss_cleo

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1166
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 11:19 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yep. It's gonna be up there with the warmest Januarys of all time. Don't forget though, December (until Christmas) was colder than normal, with nearly twice the normal amount of snow.

Gumby
Username: Gumby

Post Number: 830
Posted From: 141.216.1.4
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I think the city should buy a few giant fake palm trees and plop them in Campus Martius

Why not they already have them in the RenCen? :-)

Islandman
Username: Islandman

Post Number: 53
Posted From: 68.42.171.59
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think you guys are forgetting how friggin cold it was the last 2 winters. I'm enjoying the hell out of this.

If my body remembers correctly. there were temps in the 0-10 degree range last year that didn't go away for weeks and everyone was over it.

Don't get me wrong, I like snow as much as the next person..but this is OK too.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 86
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I LOVE the cold and prefer it to summers sweltering heat. ITs only bad if the wind is blowing, then it can get bitter, but cold temps dont bother me. I prefer it to trying to do yard work and such when its 90+ degrees out and you cant walk with out sweating...cold is invigorating and makes you feel alive, heat saps my energy....bring on the cold and snow!

Bongman
Username: Bongman

Post Number: 920
Posted From: 198.111.56.128
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 12:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The effects of global warming as it relates to our recent warm spell are intriguing, however Russia, Finland and other areas are suffering from their worst Winter in a generation. I'll gladly suffer through this warm spell instead.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 87
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What I am amazed at is how the snow storms seem to go around the Detroit area. North of us gets snow, South of us gets snow (wtf, arent we in the NOrth?) and we get zip. Watch the weather patterns, when they get near Detroit it always splits, above us and below us........I swear SE MI has put up an invisable bio dome to keep the snow out.

(Message edited by miss cleo on February 01, 2006)

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1170
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think the same too, sometimes. I thought the same to during June-July when we went into an awful dry spell and thunderstoms would roll through Ann Arbor/Oakland County and then somehow end up as drizzle on the east side and my lawn went brown!

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 89
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Wednesday, February 01, 2006 - 2:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Phoenix they call that the "donut" effect. The theory is there's so much asphalt now that the updraft of hot air from Phoenix has begun to affect the local climate. Not sure how it works. Maybe the hot air "re-evaporates" the rain.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1176
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 10:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

At this point it looks like it will still get much colder after Friday night, and we should get 2-4 inches of snow Saturday/Saturday. Except for the fact that the Winterblast is starting off with rain, this is pretty ideal. It will make things nice again without too much hassle.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/zones/ MIZ076.php?zo=1&city=Wayne+Cou nty

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 461
Posted From: 68.42.169.65
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 2:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heard the forcast for the weekend? Looks like we're going to get some white stuff.

Check out Mackinaw's link.

later - naturalsister

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1178
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohhh yeah, they're predicting about 2-3 inches in the A2/Brighton area to 4-6 inches along the waterways (since the storm will be just east of us) at this point. The most snow will be tomorrow afternoon and night, providing us a solid full day of real Michigan winter for the Winterblast. I'm hoping to be down there tomorrow with a camera.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 680
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Saturday: A chance of rain and snow before noon, then snow likely. Mostly cloudy, with a temperature falling to around 32 by 5pm. North northeast wind between 6 and 15 mph, with gusts as high as 18 mph. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches possible.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/ifps/M apClick.php?CityName=Detroit&s tate=MI&site=DTX

Wish it came down tonight! But I'll take it as long as it starts coming down early tomorrow!

Mikem

Post Number: 2358
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS HAZARDOUS WEATHER OUTLOOK IS FOR SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN.

.DAY ONE...TODAY AND TONIGHT

NO HAZARDOUS WEATHER IS EXPECTED.

.DAYS TWO THROUGH SEVEN...SATURDAY THROUGH THURSDAY

ACCUMULATING SNOW IS LIKELY ACROSS SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND SATURDAY NIGHT. BEST ESTIMATES OF ACCUMULATION BASED ON THE LATEST DATA INDICATE 1 TO 3 INCHES FROM THE TRI CITIES DOWN TO CORUNNA...HOWELL...ANN ARBOR AND ADRIAN. ACCUMULATION UP TO 6 INCHES IS POSSIBLE NEAR LAKES HURON AND ERIE...AND AROUND 4 INCHES FOR THE CITY OF DETROIT. THESE TOTALS ARE ESTIMATES FOR THE 24 HOURS ENDING SUNDAY MORNING. THE SNOW IS EXPECTED TO DIMINISH DURING SUNDAY AFTERNOON.

A DEVELOPING STORM SYSTEM ACROSS THE GULF COAST STATES WILL TRACK NORTHWARD TOWARD THE EASTERN GREAT LAKES THIS WEEKEND. BASED UPON THE LATEST FORECAST PROJECTIONS...ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL IS ANTICIPATED SATURDAY AFTERNOON AND SATURDAY NIGHT. SNOWFALL AMOUNTS WILL LIKELY INCREASE SHARPLY FROM WEST TO EAST OVER SOUTHEAST MICHIGAN. AT THIS TIME...LOWER ACCUMULATIONS ARE EXPECTED FARTHER WEST THAN THOSE LOCATIONS NEAR LAKES HURON AND ERIE. THERE REMAINS CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTY AS TO THE STRENGTH AND TRACK OF THIS SYSTEM. STAY TUNED TO THE LATEST FORECAST FROM YOUR NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE AND LOCAL MEDIA OUTLETS ON THIS DEVELOPING SITUATION.

IN ADDITION TO THE SNOW...WINDS WILL INCREASE QUICKLY LATE SATURDAY AND SATURDAY NIGHT. AS TEMPERATURES DROP INTO THE TWENTIES...WIND CHILLS WILL DROP INTO THE SINGLE DIGITS. IN ADDITION...ANY SNOWFALL WE RECEIVE WILL ALSO BECOME BLOWN AND PERHAPS REDUCE VISIBILITIES. COMPARED TO RECENT WEEKS OF ABOVE NORMAL TEMPERATURES...THE UPCOMING WEEK WILL FEEL MORE LIKE WINTER WITH TEMPERATURES AVERAGING AT OR BELOW NORMAL. A NEW STORM SYSTEM MAY BRING ANOTHER CHANCE OF ACCUMULATING SNOWFALL TOWARD THE END OF NEXT WEEK.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1179
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Time for an update: there's a Winter Storm Watch.

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/showsi gwx.php?warnzone=MIZ076&warnco unty=MIC163&local_place1=Melvi ndale&product1=Winter+Storm+Wa tch

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/dtx/sn ow_image.php?image=20060205_09 00.png&type=StormTotalSnow

Snow + a Super Bowl = media frenzy...especially from our local news sources.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 4.229.129.130
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 4:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A winter storm watch has now been posted for tomorrow afternoon through late tomorrow night. It's almost eerily similar to 1982, except for less snow and not quite so cold. I guess the snow-removal plan might be tested after all.

Text below courtesy of NWS and www.wunderground.com

LAPEER-OAKLAND-MACOMB-WASHTENA W-WAYNE-LENAWEE-MONROE-

... Winter Storm Watch in effect from Saturday afternoon through
late Saturday night...

The National Weather Service in Detroit/Pontiac has issued a
Winter Storm Watch... which is in effect from Saturday afternoon
through late Saturday night. Precipitation is expected to begin as
rain Saturday morning... transitioning to snow through mid-
afternoon. Snow will be heavy at times with accumulations of 5 to
8 inches possible by early Sunday morning. The transition to snow will
occur last near the Michigan border where accumulations will be
closer to the low end of this range.

A Winter Storm Watch means there is a potential for significant
snow... sleet... and wind that may impact travel. As the system passes
east of the area during the evening... winds will increase with
gusts to 30 mph... causing snow to blow and drift. This blowing and
drifting of snow will cause further restriction to visibility
making driving conditions increasingly difficult. Persons within
the watch area should plan to avoid driving Saturday afternoon and
night.

Changes in the track of this storm may cause the location
of the highest snow accumulation to change. Please continue to
monitor the latest forecasts for details about this approaching
winter storm.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 682
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 4:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That's why I'm hoping it's early Saturday. Gives people time to enjoy it during the day, and still isn't coming down on Sunday for the circus.

WILL INCREASE THROUGH THE AFTERNOON WITH GUSTS BETWEEN 20 AND 30
MPH CAUSING BLOWING AND DRIFTING OF SNOW OVERNIGHT.

That doesn't sound good for tents.

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1180
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like the accumulating snow will be between 3pm saturday and sunrise Sunday. So we'll have a wintry time for primetime Saturday events at Winterfest, and ample cleanup time by Sunday PM. Minus the strong wind, this is pretty okay...actually, awesome.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 578
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

THIS IS A GOOD THING. just keep repeating that mantra. It's February in detroit. Do you really want rain? My experience is that a nice snow dump in the 2 to 4 inch range makes everyone more festive...sure it snarls things up a bit more, but it also beautifies, to be sure. It is like a protective winter blanket that drops over the city....from my experience, snowy nights in detroit always had a bit of a festive kick to them..at least for a few days until it turns to black snow along roads and freeways and your car is coated with an inpenetrable coating of saline solution and grime...which isn't quite so attractive. In any event, the tourists and out of towners that everyone is striving so hard to impress will be long gone before the snow starts to turn ugly.

Hamtramck_steve

Post Number: 2706
Posted From: 69.208.127.211
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 2:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Today's update!

Snow Will Be Heavy At Times Tonight And Then Taper Off Sunday Morning.

Total Snow Accumulation From Noon Today Through Noon Sunday Will Be

Up To 6 Inches Around The Tri Cities...

About 8 Inches Around Detroit...

And Up To 12 Inches Near Lake Huron In The Thumb. Strong Winds Will Cause Considerable Blowing And Drifting.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 269
Posted From: 69.208.126.219
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than this Rain. This is getting ridiculous.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 89
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 3:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I LOVE and WANT snow, I will believe it when I see it. Too many times in the past years snow storms have been hyped to death by the weather people, only to turn out to be a dusting. I hope this time they are right and we get blasted!

Woodward
Username: Woodward

Post Number: 2
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 3:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From New York Times today...

Weather Is Great, if Not Timing
By JOHN BRANCH

DETROIT, Feb. 3 — It is too warm here. The snowshoers have no snow, and the mushers have no slush. There are weight restrictions on the man-made tubing hill, to help keep what is left of the artificial snow from getting pushed to the bottom and melting in the street.

"We're only letting the kids on because they're really light," said Joseph Corbo Courtemanche, one of the men who designed and built the popular 28-foot-tall, 285-foot-long Snow Slide downtown. "The snow isn't melting. It's just really soft. It's like cream cheese."

In nearly six years of planning for Super Bowl XL, these are the things no one considered: What if it is too warm? What if the only snow is artificial, and even that is melting into cream cheese?

All the fears that Super Bowl XL and its surrounding festivities would be buried by real snow and unbearable cold have been melted away with unseasonably warm temperatures or washed away by occasional rain.

"It certainly is not what we expected or prepared for," said Susan Sherer, the executive director of the Detroit Super Bowl XL Host Committee. "We really did put a lot of wheels in motion to prepare us for snow and for cold weather, and that's equipment and resources and people and snow shovelers."

The only other time the Super Bowl was held in Detroit, in 1982, the city was hit with snow and ice storms. On the day of the game, held indoors at the Pontiac Silverdome, the temperature was 12 degrees; the wind-chill effect made it feel like minus 27.

That was the major reason it took 24 years for the game to return, with only one other Super Bowl at a cold-weather site in between — Minneapolis in 1992.

Organizers did not imagine a week of temperatures well into the 40's, sometimes not even dipping to freezing at night.

"I could have never imagined I'd be talking about the bad side of warm weather," Sherer said.

Much of her committee's budget and planning was devoted to combating the one thing they could not control. All they knew was that the average high temperature in early February here is 33 degrees, the average low 20, and that snow is to be expected.

So a subcommittee was devoted to snow removal. About 200 student-athletes from Wayne State University were given training, uniforms and a pep rally. In deciding how many parking spots were needed, organizers added 20 percent, assuming some along the edges would be covered in piles of snow.

To put their best face on the likelihood of nasty weather, organizers embraced the elements. The Motown Winter Blast, an outdoor festival that began Thursday and is expected to attract 250,000 downtown over its four days, was designed for the cold, aimed at turning gritty city streets into a Rockwellian scene worthy of a snow globe.

It was a huge success last year, in what amounted to a trial run for this year, attracting 200,000 people on a weekend of subfreezing temperatures and plenty of snow — real and artificial.

"We had snow forever — everywhere," Corbo Courtemanche said.

This year, he and Martin Gemme, the owner of a Montreal-based snow-making company, had six snowmaking guns to create at least 70,000 cubic feet of snow for the tubing hill and to cover a blocklong median for sled-dog racing and snowshoeing demonstrations.

But it was all they could do to make the hill, which ended up having three lanes instead of the four they planned. The temperatures and the humidity were too high to make more snow. The machines work best when it is about 25 degrees, which it had not been all week.

"We can usually bring snow from parking lots and use that to help build a base," said Corbo Courtemanche, who does most of his work farther north. "But even then, there is usually sodium in it from the street, which makes the snow melt a little. Plus, here, there is no snow in the parking lots."

Without snow on the median, Bob Anderson, owner of Gee-Packs Sled Dog Team, parked his light wooden sleds with plastic runners and brought out heavy three-wheeled ones with rubber tires.

The wheeled sleds are not as nimble, so he ran them with three or four dogs instead of the usual seven. And he could not run the furry dogs for as long each time, because — like snowmaking machines — they prefer temperatures below freezing.

"The weather is great for people," Anderson said as his dogs rested on the pavement. "But not so great for the dogs."

After it rained Wednesday night, the grass turned slick, causing a couple of dog-sled wipeouts. Then it turned to mud, and event organizers asked Anderson to keep the dogs leashed. Instead of watching dogs run, people stood in line to pet them.

The median was shared by REI, the outdoor-equipment retailer, which was letting people snowshoe, but they were marching around on the grass instead.

"We tell them, now, when it snows, you'll be ready to go," said Matt Poppleton, a special events administrator for REI.

The weather turned colder Friday afternoon, and the forecast for Sunday is more seasonal: a high of 33 degrees, with a good chance of snow.

By then, it will be too late. As the evening crowd converged on downtown, Gemme and some workers loaded up the snowmaking equipment, headed back to Montreal and another festival.

Just then, it started to rain.

Mikem

Post Number: 2359
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

md122

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0122.html

Mikem

Post Number: 2362
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The snow has just started on the eastside.

Woodward
Username: Woodward

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 207.91.250.131
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Finally- rain just turned to snow at 2:00!

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1182
Posted From: 68.248.7.1
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 9:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And it's coming down now! I was in Campus Martius as the snow started flying and it was a very interesting moment.

Should be a fun night at Winterblast...hope they reopen the slide soon.

Miss_cleo

Post Number: 91
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:45 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! Wrong again Detroit weather people! I got 2 inches, wheres the 6 you promised me? I knew it was too good to be true

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 590
Posted From: 71.65.11.17
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 10:59 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

miss cleo should have seen that coming. :|

Mackinaw

Post Number: 1183
Posted From: 69.221.65.215
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No kidding.

The warmth of January held on for too long during that storm.

I'm sure old man winter will get you back for those 4 inches eventually, probably more of a sneak attack, too.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.