Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » I need bud bowl tickets! « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Sparty
Username: Sparty

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 7:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anybody got them for Saturday?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5453
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 7:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't fathom how, but I somehow know that this thread will end up in divisive and mean-spirited comments.

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 104
Posted From: 68.41.181.95
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 9:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course, who really wants an invitation to an exclusive Superbowl “party”?

One would obviously and correctly covet the opportunity to attend MAINLINE DETROIT, a gathering in the spirit of and by Detroit’s original punk rockers with ART, MUSIC and FILM presented by Padded Cell & Studio Razor Braille.
All are welcome THIS SATURDAY NIGHT February 4th at CORKTOWN TAVERN 1716 Michigan Ave, Detroit. (West corner of Tiger Stadium at Cochrane) 248/336-6633.

Inspired by the ethos of Do It Yourself, we created our own ”Detroit” party over 25 years ago –one that everyone is now invited to.

That night, we will drink our personal choice of non NFL sanctioned beer, $2, 16oz or $2, well drinks.
We will listen to Brain Saw and Country Bob and the Blood Farmers; absorb the art work of Johnny Badanjek, Danny Dollrod, Tim Vulgar, Wendy Case, Jamie Easter, Jerry Vile, Jason Macgregor, Paul Stillborn, Beth Wilusz, Sailor Rick, Leni Sinclair and others.

Also the opportunity to view rare films of the Stooges, MC-5 and Sonic’s Rendezvous.

The opinions we form, will be untainted by “corporate” sponsorship, multi-million dollar contracts by the “thought-police” or the de-humanizing “cult of the personality”.

There will be NO valet parking, velvet rope or VIP room.

If Jimmy Kimmel, Miss Playboy December or the Seahawk’s linebacker What’s-His Name were at the door, they would be expected to pay the same $7.00 cover as Joe or Jane Blow.

“You grow up and you calm down…no man born with a living soul can be working for the clampdown.-The Clash

(if you are real celebrity, i will let you in the back door if i can have my picture taken with you. if you are corporation looking for a last minute realistic type detroit venue, i can have the place emptied in minutes. like what are they going to do. sue me. most of them havent had a full tank of gas since the sex pistols broke up. if you are an out-of- town journalist, i will be your driver/bodyguard in/with my detroit iron. this is an extremely dangerous city. i know-i was shot here. read gunned down in mo-town in the upcoming best of detroit murder city comix, www. papaya.net/dmcc. contact sailor rick at amalgamated conglomerates inc. habla espanol)

Itsjeff, How about ending up self-promoting?

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 281
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

way I hear it the sponsors have giving out over twice as many tickets as to what bud bowl will hold and it will be a first come first served bases .. many people are going to get screwed over .. like what happened with Kimmel

Ddmoore54
Username: Ddmoore54

Post Number: 268
Posted From: 69.242.220.249
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It better not turn into people waiting in line like at a new StarWars movie. I wonder what's a good time to get there without being too early? I was thinkinng about heading over there around 6:30p and if noone was there going over to Nemos, since the doors don't open till 8:30.

Ddmoore54

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 7:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ohh, I'm going Friday, so if you get tickets Sparty, I'll let you know what the deal is.

Caseyc
Username: Caseyc

Post Number: 577
Posted From: 206.18.111.5
Posted on Thursday, February 02, 2006 - 8:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sailor Rick's party sounds like a real corker...a humdinger. I hear a lot of Steelers fans are heading over there.

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 63
Posted From: 69.246.16.180
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 12:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's the deal (from a Bud rep I spoke to over the last few days):

There were 4000 tix distributed total and the venue holds 2500. There were a significant number of these passes handed out to VIP's - many whom they expect not to show, since these celebs have been invited to every gig in town - and there's no way they can possibly make them all. They wanted a full club - but I do think they underestimated the demand/resuling "buzz" on these gigs.

It is first come, first served - and it does specifically state that "invite does not guarantee admisssion". The plan is to open the gates for about an hour, fill the club, then close the doors when it reaches capacity.

So, yeah, it's a good idea to be there early.

Ddaydave
Username: Ddaydave

Post Number: 283
Posted From: 67.149.185.244
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 1:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I`m hearing they gave away 5000 tickets ..

Sailor_rick
Username: Sailor_rick

Post Number: 108
Posted From: 12.2.192.223
Posted on Friday, February 03, 2006 - 5:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Steelers fans? They'll like heavy metal I bet.

Thanks for the props Casey. I'll send the Vile one your best.

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 65
Posted From: 69.246.16.180
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 11:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can't speak for how many did/did not get in last night, but this was a helluva party. For an "invite only" (which really means promo giveaway) party, it was an EXCELLENT layout and scene inside the place. They didn't "go cheap" on this! From the Bud Girls to the DJ to Snoop to the "vibe" - it was a blast.

But the best part of this event was the access to the viewing deck. In the back of the club, you could go out to a viewing deck that went almost to the pitcher's mound on the field. You were looking straight at home plate, the dugouts, and could see the seats all the way down on both sides almost to the foul poles. Looking from behind the pitchers mound, it seemed close enough to all of the visible seats that you could recognize a person you knew if they were to sit in the last row in the upper deck. The stadium was that intimate - buildings like this are rare anymore. It was incredible to think of all of the greats who passed through here and stood here - a proverbial "Field Of Dreams".

Ddmoore54

Post Number: 274
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it was SWEET! I would recommend getting there at 7p. That's when we got there and there were still a bunch of people in front of us. We ended up not gettting in until 9:30p, but the line was unbelievably long behind us. There must have been a lot of people who didn't get in.

The setup was really cool and the concert was awesome. We were like 15 feet away from the stage.

The viewing area was really cool. At one point people opened the gate and just started walking out to the mound, the X-men weren't really doing anything. I ran out there, it was awesome. Never thought I would have the opportunity.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 68.42.217.91
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You spent 2.5 hours in line? What was parking around there like? What time did the concert end?

I heard that 3 doors down cancelled tonight.

Adamjab19
Username: Adamjab19

Post Number: 613
Posted From: 69.47.170.119
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 7:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Their bus got into an accident 89x was saying and now poop stain (Staind) will be opening. bring your kleenex because I hear the lead singer of Staind will be whining and crying on stage the whole night about past loves and family issues.

Ddmoore54

Post Number: 277
Posted on Saturday, February 04, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wouldn't know about parking as I walked there. Waiting 2.5 hours is better than waiting 2 hours in line to be told it's full

Josh
Username: Josh

Post Number: 805
Posted From: 69.209.151.238
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 5:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Did anyone else see these pics from the freep during the Bud Bowl set-up? Very sad state at the corner.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/gallery?Site=C4&Date=2006 0201&Category=SPORTS1101&ArtNo =201001&Ref=PH&Params=Itemnr=1

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 180
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Tuesday, February 07, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Too sad....

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 764
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 7:43 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote..."it seemed close enough to all of the visible seats that you could recognize a person you knew if they were to sit in the last row in the upper deck. The stadium was that intimate - buildings like this are rare anymore. It was incredible to think of all of the greats who passed through here and stood here - a proverbial "Field Of Dreams"...

Great post. How TRUE!! I've been to both commercia and Tiger Stadium. The sight lines at Tiger Stadium were the best in the league, where at commercia you don't hardly notice a game is being played. It's the same scenario when comparing hockey games at the Olympia to Joe Louis.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 777
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This event (friday) was the highlight of my weekend.
I considered it a privlige and honor to have one more chance to say goodbye to this tarnished grand lady. I spent much time on the observation deck reflecting on the moments of my life...where we were sitting ect. Of course all this sentiment was magnified by those shots of cheap booze the Bud people were selling.
No way would I lose the baseball throwing contest that ensued...left the crowd in awe of the rocket I propelled. Put my life into that throw...and watching it fall from the night sky and disappear deep into the upperdeck...was priceless.
Thanks to the COD for allowing me to say goodbye on my terms.

Audible_nectar

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 12.217.110.64
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside,

I'll bet I bumped into you out on that porch. I was wearing the dark blue "Super Bowl" fleece (from San Diego, XXXVII) with the "anchor" logo on the back. For all I cared, Burl Ives could have been singing folk songs in that tent and it would not have mattered, once I got on that back deck. It was a highlight here, too - and that's coming from someone who saw the game at Ford. I came for the Super Bowl (with no affiliation or favor for either team - so I enjoyed that regardless of outcome), but this was priceless.

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 779
Posted From: 69.246.10.58
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

AN...I think it was great you got tics, being an out of towner and all.
Like the greeter said "You got your observation deck here, when you decide to move inside, you got Snoop Dogg there...with booze in between and women in cages everywhere."
I was all "I'm fine with the situation"

Canuckr
Username: Canuckr

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 71.67.157.248
Posted on Thursday, February 09, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went on saturday night, for my first visit to Tiger Stadium. What a amazing place! The highlight of my weekend. Most of my time was spent freezing my nads off outside on that observation deck.I took a few pictures on my phone that turned out ok. All I wanted to do was grap some beer (Labatt,budwiser sucks), smokes, find a sit in the upper deck, and dream of all the greats that have played there. On a weird note, I managed to grab a hand full of dirt and grass..

Oh jaa, Staind wasnt that bad either..

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.