Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Rocky Mountain News Bashes Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tigersfan9
Username: Tigersfan9

Post Number: 21
Posted From: 69.14.45.237
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 3:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

URL: http://www.rockymountainnews.c om/drmn/sports_columnists/arti cle/0,1299,DRMN_83_4422945,00. html

Lincicome: In Detroit? NFL again fails Super Bowl geography test
January 28, 2006

The NFL knew what it was doing when it gave the Super Bowl to Detroit because it has given the Super Bowl to Detroit before.

Happily for the NFL, Detroit gave it back.

What this means is that Detroit will have had twice as many Super Bowls as San Francisco and as Phoenix, as many as Tampa and Los Angeles (not counting Pasadena), more than Orlando or New York or Honolulu or Las Vegas; you know, places that people go to on purpose.

The NFL does this from time to time, generally paying off a community for funding one of their partners with a sweetheart stadium, and there have been a string of them, Houston and Jacksonville recently, Atlanta a couple times before, even Minneapolis, and memory escapes why that happened except to recall that the symbol of that game was a giant igloo in the middle of a frozen Mississippi River.

What the public wants, what the players want, what common sense demands is a Super Bowl where someone wants to be.

I have two simple requirements for a Super Bowl: a palm tree outside the window and a grouper sandwich on the menu. It was bad enough to get Pittsburgh and Seattle, but to get Detroit, too . . . well, let's do a root canal and a body wax in the same day.

I don't want to be instinctively harsh on Detroit, on Motown, a place undergoing real agonies of late, what with the naming rights titleholder on the stadium in which the big game will be played lopping off 30,000 jobs.

But that would have happened without the NFL holding a party there. Still, you wonder if the natural and polite greeting during Super Bowl week might be, "I'm sorry."

The homeless are being given a warm place to stay out of the sight lines of visitors, but that happens whenever company comes, at the Olympics, at the World Series.

Tidying up cannot be held against Detroit, and the industrial-strength vacuum cleaner needed to do the job can only be marveled at.

Detroit gets a bad rap, and I'm not just talking about Eminem, who, by the way, is holding a party for anyone who can afford it. This is part of the, ahem, festivities for the week.

Never mind that Detroit may be one of the great sports cities in the world, because, well, that has nothing to do with hosting the biggest sports event in America.

By all accounts, not just mine, the worst time ever had at a Super Bowl was the one in Detroit in 1982, although Detroit was almost peripheral to things. The game itself was held in Pontiac and the main hotels were in Dearborn, so it was possible to avoid Detroit altogether, something even the people who live there tend to do.

The weather was horrible all week, and I recall one report of a local celebrant indulging to the point that he passed out on his own porch and froze to death with his latchkey in his hand.

On game day, due to the entourage of then Vice President George Bush, traffic was snarled and stopped. We hardy messengers of the media got off the press bus and tramped through the snow in our inadequate shoes to the stadium in order to make kickoff.

Checking the forecast for this Super Bowl week I see at least one of these words on every day: "rain, snow, wind, clouds." No sun. None. The highest high is 37, the lowest low 24, and even this is not good.

These warmer temperatures might ruin the ice sculptures and make the ice slide slushy. Listen, serves them right.

The proper setting for ice at a Super Bowl is to be surrounded by bourbon. Ice is shaved and supports a paper umbrella. We all know that.

Dog sled races really belong at a different celebration. When the chamber of commerce brags that this the hottest place to be, you want to be taking sunblock and shorts, not mittens and a muffler.

Still, I give Detroit credit for making some special sports memories. I recall being trapped in old Tiger Stadium after the World Series because police cars were being set on fire. Haven't seen that before or since.

My most vivid memory of a sports event in Detroit is one I did not even attend. Urged by my paper's Olympic writer to cover the figure skating eliminations, I huffily replied, "I can think of nothing that could possibly happen there that would make me want to be in Detroit."

That was the year Nancy Kerrigan got whacked in the knee by minions of -Tonya Harding. I missed one of the biggest stories ever. So, I do not dismiss the possibility that this might be the most memorable Super Bowl ever.

Maybe even the game.

lincicomeb@RockyMountainNews.c om

Jjw
Username: Jjw

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 68.33.56.156
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 3:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is not detroit bashing. much more could have been said and we all know it. in fact, the article is real and somewhat complimentary. if the national press goes the way of this article, detroit will come off pretty good.

Royce
Username: Royce

Post Number: 1426
Posted From: 69.212.231.238
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 3:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

He's griping about the weather mainly. I wouldn't take this as an out and out dis on Detroit. Hey, in January, I'd rather be someplace warmer than Detroit as well.

BTW, it's unfortunate that we won't have the kind of weather Super Bowl Weekend as we did this weekend. This past Saturday was incredible. Even at 11:00 p.m. it was warm enough that you didn't need your winter coat.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 511
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just sour grapes. He's pissed that the Broncos got smoked by the Steelers, and now he's got no Superbowl story to write, so a "Superbowls in Detroit suck" story will suffice.

Fuck him, and by the way, the Broncos suck. LOL!

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 3:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hes just bitter cause of all the times the Wings undressed their beloved avalanche.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 966
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 3:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pussy
Bernie Lincicome

Devinc
Username: Devinc

Post Number: 25
Posted From: 69.14.138.74
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

he's just bitter his broncos aren't coming here.

Jjaba
Username: Jjaba

Post Number: 2975
Posted From: 192.220.139.20
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 5:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As if there's no snow in Denver. Yikes, try to go skiing on a weekend there and be in fucking traffic in a tunnel for 3 hrs.
What a disgrace to General Eisenhower to be stuck sucking exhaust fumes in his tunnel.

He's from Denver and the dumbfuck wears tassled dress shoes without socks like some Grosse Pointer to a football game in January in Pontiac, Michigan. He probably wore a tie to classes at Williams College, settling for a sports beat when he thought he should be the London correspondent.

jjaba, Westsider LOL.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3114
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, not much bashing about the city.

Just an annoying, whinning, immature piece seemingly rooted in his team not making it. Poor thing. lol

But yeah, the dude is from Denver, a place with some of the most volatile weather in the entire country, such as heavy snow and spring like weather all in the same day. Even his weather argument is weak and tired, especially considering his location.

Freedom of speech is a great thing, ain't it? lol

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4652
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 6:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey, Lowell, create a superthread for all of the threads started by thin-skinned forumers concerning outside media sources "bashing" Detroit. it seems only appropriate as it seems as if one thread out of every three this week is going to be another useless link to an article that, in effect, tells the truth, but is misinterpreted as "dissing" the city.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1484
Posted From: 70.236.186.155
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 6:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay - so if someone is so freakin' anti-cold weather climate, why the @*%$ is he or she writing for the Rocky Mountain News?

The Rocky Mountain News. Based in Denver, freakin' Colorado.

A place with even more cold weather than Detroit.

I swear, I think Bernie Lincicome just likes to complain.

Me? I just like to smack people who just like to complain.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 234
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If anything, that article was a slam on Pontiac, not Detroit.

And I've had just about enough of this weather-bashing by ignorant weatherists who are prejudiced against cold temperatures and biting wind. Thirty degrees and cloudy is just as good as 78 and sunny, damn bigots! :-)

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1655
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 6:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If that dope doesn't want to be here, send his schitt back home. And to re-hash all of that old stuff is just infantile. Can't he come up with something new to bash us about?? This article has been written & re-written so many times I can almost regurgitate it verbatim now.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 477
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 7:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Scripps Howard journalism at it's very best. Probably still upset that the Denver Rockets changed their name in '74.

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 649
Posted From: 172.144.85.74
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If this is as bad as the Detroit bashing is going to get, Im rather pleased.

(Message edited by Damon on January 29, 2006)

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 71.211.141.143
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 4:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here is another article from our friends at The Rocky Mountain News about the Super Bowl and Detroit. And yes, they are pissed out here about the Bronco's loosing in the playoffs and their average hockey team here in Denver.

http://www.rockymountainnews.c om/drmn/sports_columnists/arti cle/0,1299,DRMN_83_4426173,00. html

Jdkeepsmiling
Username: Jdkeepsmiling

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 208.50.91.234
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey, that last article is really not that bad. It makes me wonder why all these writers and media tink they have a god given right to a Superbowl in somewhere warm. Not to mention that mos of the storied football franchises and from the north and east. They write all year about how dedicated the fans in GB are, but they do not want to head North for an indoor game in 40 degree weather. Really makes the writers lok kind of pathetic.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2984
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Welcome to the Forum, JD. Keep smiling.
jjaba, Proudly Westside.

Jjaba

Post Number: 2985
Posted From: 67.160.138.107
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 5:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great article about Jerome Bettis and how much Detroit means to him. jjaba grew up in the shadow of Mackenzie HS, his brother went there.

jjaba, Westside Bar Mitzvah Bukkor.

Matt
Username: Matt

Post Number: 975
Posted From: 24.221.73.42
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 6:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Okay - so if someone is so freakin' anti-cold weather climate, why the @*%$ is he or she writing for the Rocky Mountain News?

The Rocky Mountain News. Based in Denver, freakin' Colorado.

A place with even more cold weather than Detroit.

I don't mean to nitpick, but actually, Denver winters are pretty mild. Snow fall can be heavy at times but with the amount of sunshine they get, the snow is usually gone in a day or two.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2025
Posted From: 69.39.80.144
Posted on Monday, January 30, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The guy is an a**hole! I hope my favorite hooker (no I don't use her) spits on him!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.