Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Windsor- Sin City, White Picket Fences « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 70
Posted From: 24.57.42.143
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good article on Windsor tells it like it is instead of our mayor's "polyanna" version.

My favourite quote:

"There are people who don't like it, but they're living in a dream world," says Steve Whibbs, a restaurant owner and a member of the Downtown Windsor Business Improvement Association. "There are city councillors who think that Windsor can be this white picket fence kind of place. As far as I'm concerned, they're in denial. The clubs are here, they bring in a lot of people, and they're good citizens."

Here's the story and link:

Super Bowl Meet Super Sin City

Globe and Mail, Saturday January 28/06

By PETER CHENEY

Saturday, January 28, 2006 Page M1

In the back of Leopard's Lounge, Barry Maroon's office is a far cry from the carnival glamour of the front-room operation, where a young woman in teetering spike heels dances in the nude beneath a galaxy of coloured spotlights.

Mr. Maroon's digs resemble those of a Wal-Mart manager, with harsh fluorescent lighting, a steel filing cabinet, a multi-line phone and a plain desk buried beneath sheaves of paper.

Managing a strip club is rarely easy and over the past few weeks, Mr. Maroon has had an extra task thrust upon him: He's been coping with a flood of job applications from dancers who want to be on stage for the biggest event Windsor has ever seen -- next weekend's Super Bowl in Detroit, just minutes away by bridge.

"They smell the money, and they want to be in on the party," Mr. Maroon says as he fields yet more calls and faxes. "This is their own little Mardi Gras."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com /servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/L AC/20060128/WINDSOR28/TPNation al/Toronto?pageRequested=all

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1995
Posted From: 67.163.181.81
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 11:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Walkerpub, thanks for the link to the article. Was Windsor historically a fairly wide open town when it came to strip clubs, massage parlors (parlours :-)) and related vices? I recently read the book about the guy who claimed to have killed Hoffa, in it in passing he mentioned that when he worked in Detroit as a Teamster organizer in the late 50's windsor was the place they went for wild carousing. I know that jibes with the impression I got from my father and his cronies of windsor as a sorta wide open place where anything goes (which woulda been formed in the 50's/60's). Was windsor like this BEFORE the late 50s too? I'm thinking that all of the riverfront urban renewal on the Detroit side of things chased a fair amount of this sorta stuff into Windsor ... wadda ya think?

Yay border towns!

Walkerpub
Username: Walkerpub

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 24.57.42.143
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 1:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Here's a story we did on crime in the 1940's and early fifties- things were pretty wild on the south side- gambling, hookers, strippers and drugs- sorta like today!

Portrait of a Scandal

" But in 1950, reports in the media elevated vices to the level of entertainment and Windsorites eagerly followed the exploits of downtown bookies, pimps and bootleggers in the daily papers and around the lunch counters.

Windsor gained a nationwide reputation as a wide-open town."

http://www.walkervilletimes.co m/portrait-scandal.html

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1996
Posted From: 67.163.181.81
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thanks! great stuff as usual!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.