Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Judge Martone « Previous Next »
WHERE TEEN DRINKING LED: Criminals? Or just having some fun?Johnnny501-28-06  2:42 am
  ClosedNew threads cannot be started on this page. The threads above are previous posts made to this thread.        

Top of pageBottom of page

Eastside
Username: Eastside

Post Number: 756
Posted From: 68.60.139.54
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is this not the same judge who, a few years ago, sentenced that kid to hours of listening to Wayne Newton...because he had recieved a ticket for playing his rap music too loud?
This Martone is full of himself...and worthy of being mocked.
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2006601270321

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1525
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:50 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree teaching kids to follow the law and not make a mockery of the legal system is defiantly bad for society. We need more judges that look the other way when laws are broken.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 357
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:58 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I especially support the mother of the instigator of all this: she wanted the school to relent, she tried to "make it a teachable moment for the school"(!!!!) but I guess the school is too rigid to back off on its widely publicized protective policy. The mom, of course, knows what's best - even though her daughter sure had her fooled.

Some schools are giving up prom entirely. I think they are mostly Catholic prep schools on the east coast, but it will come here.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6543
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Seeing as though the jails have to continually let offenders out early due to over crowding this seems waaaaay overboard to me, almost vindictive.

He could have just as easily put them on probabtion for 6 months were they have to take breathalyzers at any time at the request of their PO.

Kids drinking happens but 30 days in jail for the same thing that is done by tons of HS and college kids.

Over abuse of power IMP.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1527
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I this was about allot more than kids drinking. And no one was let out of jail because these girls were sentence.

Eastside

Post Number: 757
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"this was about allot more than kids drinking."

...my point exactly, it was all about Martone and his ego.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1528
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But your point was wrong this was about a group of kids saying fuck off to a judge. I don't care how you sentence me; I am going to do whatever I want to do.

Darwinism
Username: Darwinism

Post Number: 360
Posted From: 69.215.30.34
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Good Lord, do we really need to give kids more reasons to be jerks ? When are parents going to start being harsh ? Kids need to be set straight. They need to be disciplined. Just like the Thomas Hearns story, we are giving kids way too much room to cause problems without being held accountable.

I like the part below;

quote:

Michele Compton, chapter head of MADD in Oakland County, said Martone is stern but principled.

"We know that with kids, you really need to be in their face, and same thing with their parents," Compton said.

Eastside

Post Number: 759
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

....considering how kids are today, these are good kids. They play by the rules, they worked hard and graduated at the top of their class.
They decided to drink on prom night (thats a new one)...but I applaud them for not going near a steering wheel. If more people made such sound decisions, less people would be killed on Michigan roads.
This Martone has a history of making news with his alternative sentencing...like forcing a defendent to listen to Wayne Newton music.
I regard Martone like a ego driven linebacker in football, after making a great defensive play...he will run away from his teamates to celebrate in the open...so that the cameras focus on him and leave no doubt who made the play. But its a team sport, and players should quietly work toward a common goal.
I feel Martone has made a mockery of his own bench with his attention seeking sentencing tactics....I feel it is hypocritical to lock up these good kids for mocking his mockery.
Hell...the only reason he found "FO Martone" website is because he was googling his name to see if he had made any headlines.

Peanut_breath
Username: Peanut_breath

Post Number: 111
Posted From: 66.73.225.162
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There's a huge difference between "getting in kid's faces" with principled adjudication, and abusing your powers as a judge in an attempt to fulfill a personal crusade. Underage drinking does pose a societal issue that should be addressed by our government, but treating misdemeanor offenders like violent criminals is outrageous and borderline fascist. I'm saddened that so many people view this story as just punishment. I'm just as disappointed that so many are willing to buy into the notion that 18 year-old-kids having a few beers is a problem that must be prioritized above so many more crucial societal problems.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2357
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hmmmm...

Like mandatory sentencing laws for 18 year old non violent weed smokers....?

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1529
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

“They play by the rules” Eastside did you read the article the reason they went o jail was because they didn’t play by the rules. Martone sentenced them lightly when they were drinking at their prom. These kids that played by the rules decided to say fuck him, I will do what I want screw my probation. You missed the point of the article.

Darwinism

Post Number: 361
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Free Press has a reader comment board as well, here are some comments:

quote:

I have 4 children - 3 are teens. Whoever posted that kids should learn by "embarassment" either has unusual kids, or does not have teens in this day and age.

I support the judge 100 percent. I have good kids - great kids - who are smart and do well in school, extra curricular activities - yet I believe nothing they tell me. Not one word. I ask 100 questions each time they leave the house. I ask 100 questions when they are in the house.

I am not the best mom. No one can make that claim. But I'm here trying. And the times I have gotten a bad feeling about a situation, and acted - by calling the police or going by a house address - I have never regretted my actions. Even when I found my child safe.

I am going to give this article to my 17 year old daugther. She will read it. And most likely say "Too bad for those girls" Because as a teen, she believe everthing happens to someone else and everything that happens to her was someone elses fault.

It is my job to nurture and push her toward maturity - and my only prayer (for each of my children) is that they make it whole and in one piece. Any teen is too young to have an event divide their life into a time of "before" and "after"

Thank you Judge Martone.

quote:

As a police officer all I can say is look at the parents responses. With the exception of the obviously very good father figure who stated the judge was "a fair man" the other parents are looking to blame someone else. I run into this all the time. If I arrest Chrissy or Amanda from the cheerleading squad or Bobby or Brandon from the soccer team, then it's "why are you harassing OUR kids, OUR children would never do such a thing, all the other kids do it, blah, blah, blah. But, if I don't respond quick enough to Ramone or Ty selling a little weed to the kids in the school, it's off with my head and you want Ramone or Ty locked up until the end of time. Lest we forget that selling a little pot and underage drinking/possession of alcohol are the same level offense. Same situation when the aforementioned little princess and princes don't get a great grade on an exam. These same parents are there banging on the door to the Superintendent DEMANDING that THEIR child be allowed to retake the test because MY child doesn't fail. Bottom line is parents, quit being so damn hypocritical and stand up to your kids. They have enough friends, you don't need to be one of them. Don't worry if they don't like you or yell at you or do whatever it is that kids do to their parents. Your job isn't to have them like you it's to have them respect you and respect for the law and authority is one of your responsibilities as a parent. Also, the parents of these little charmers should take some notes from IRENE, TEEN MOM, OZ, and JOHN. I'm sure they don't accept this behavior out of their children and certainly would not accept them disrespecting the law like your children do. You won't be able to bail them out forever no matter what you think, better give them the tools to do it now. However, it's probably to late for you to do that. Good luck.

quote:

The children of privilage. Their parents have money, and God gave them the talent to do well in school. Put on a pedistal by their parents, they never learned to be responsible human beings. Rules and laws don't apply to them, and they feel they should be allowed to skip out on the consequences of their actions.
Parents take note, if you raise your kids that way, all the money and influence you have cannot bring them back from the dead.

quote:

I am a retired police officer of 26 years and I am one of those that used to have the kids pour the beer out and then leave. After a time, we realized that we were seeing the same kids over and over, except now as fatalities in car accidents, victims of rape or assault, or just injured or killed from non-vehicular accidents directly related to their inebriation.

So we changed what we did. We ticketed and arrested every time we found minors in possession of alcohol. Almost every one of these children were indignant and so were most of the parents. Many of these kids are now parents themselves and have told me they appreciate what we did. Our answer now, as it was then, is "We are police officers and this is our job."

We felt that by not doing what we were sworn to do, we had become a part of creating a culture of permissiveness when it came to alcohol and drugs. If lawmakers want to change the laws, so be it. But until then, we would enforce them.

If that sounds too simple, maybe it's because that's the way the system was designed and we, all of us, have unneccessarily complicated it. Make the decision you want to make but at least be adult and honest enough to realize what the consequences may be.

quote:

this is a perfect example that intelligence doesn't automatically translate into common sense. Although, I suspect that a large part of the problem are overly permissive parents who don't think that their kids should have to experience anything other than a slap on the wrist when they break the law. And where exactly were these parents when their kids were getting flasks and liquor? My guess is that they spent more time shopping for limos and other meaningless, material things prom related than checking to make sure that their kids were on the straight and narrow. My teens KNOW that I will allow them to take whatever consequences come their way after making bad decisions so they think twice and three times before doing something dumb. Kids these days are LESS prepared for the real world than in generations gone by due to the disgusting coddling by their parents. They are doing their children no favors! The best decision that the one parent made was to pull her daughter out of State and dump her rear in a community college. Although a little tough love would have been nice before it got to this.

Kudos to the judge and no, mommy, he wasn't being vindictive. Jail time is what happens when a law breaker violates PROBATION. Too bad your child wasn't smart enough to appreciate the break she was given to begin with.

quote:

Wahhhhhhhhhhhhh!

You made your bed. Sleep in it.

Turning your kids into whiny, unaccountable turds. Nice job. Teaching them that they are above the system, jjudges and laws don't need to be respected.

And then when one of these girls binge drinks herself to death at an East Lansing night club the parents will blame it on a bartender who kept feeding their little girl drinks cause she never drank much before...

Or maybe they'll go on a spring break trip and diappear like that chick did in Aruba. Heck, she couldn't have been drinking and promiscuous, she wouldn't do anything behind my back...

Accountability. Let em learn it now before they end up much worse.

quote:

I agree with the judge totally. These kids today are out of control and the parents are no better. My kids know that if they do something inappropriate they will be punished! 21 is the legal drinking age. No ifs, and or buts about it. If you can't follow rules then you should be punished. I wish there were more judges like him. For the parents out there that stick up for there kids knowing they are breaking the law-it's because ofparents like you that we have the hoodlum kids we have in today's society!!! Those parents should be held accountable too!

quote:

As a member of this community, I say, Thanks Judge! These spoiled brats may not have been driving on prom night, but they drive at any other given time and one of them already admits to having a problem handling liquor. These are not kids just having a drink on prom night, drinking is obviously part of their life style.

I have news for these kids parents and all the other parents out there who think underage drinking is no big deal: This is a drop in the bucket compared to what will happen if your kids continue to drink and put others at risk. Someday, something bad WILL happen and the consequences that your kids are facing now will be small potatoes compared to what will come.

quote:

Kudos to Judge Martone and MK

I worked in a college-town ER a few years back. Every Friday and Saturday night, we saw more than a reasonable number of drunk college students. There is no medical treatment required of someone who has merely "had too much to drink," so we would let them sleep it off (in a hospital diaper) and let their parents react when they got the $800 medical bill because their princess drank herself stupid. We also helped them see how attractive they were in their voluntary condition by providing them of photos we took, in their diapers, after they had vomited on themselves. (This was done as tastefully as possible while still providing the punch to drive the point home).

Unfortunately, I also had the misfortune to be working when a student had consumed enough alcohol to kill himself. This case gained national attention and the parents sued the school and the fraternity for "allowing" their child to die. Their perfect son had voluntarily consumed over 30 shots of alcohol in a 3 hour period. He was not a pledge, he was not being hazed, he was not even pressured to keep up with the guys, as he was the ONLY one who made this choice. He didn't even break any laws as he was of age to drink. However, he was apparently not able to control himself in a manner to avoid his own demise.

These girls appear to have done nothing to endanger the lives of others, but their choices suggest they are of suspest ability to associate the concept of consequence with their actions. The judge did nothing more than act WITHIN the guidelines of the law to firmly establish a consequence with their actions. Would I consider these girls "hardened criminals?" No, but they are criminals. There is no question they broke the law.

I write this as a person as capable of mistakes as everyone else. I have been drunk. I have made an ass of myself in front of my friends in that condition. However, I was able to objectively look at what I had done and make a decision to not do that again. I still believe that beer is the sweet nectar of life, but I act within the boudaries of the laws, social acceptability and my personal mandates to maintain myself in a manner that does not bring shame onto me or those around me. As an adult, I alone am responsible for my actions and I accept that -- it is time that the criminals in this case do the same.

Czar
Username: Czar

Post Number: 2875
Posted From: 129.137.196.148
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Both sides reflect the current "look at me", mentality of American society. The judge got his chance to grandstand and the jagoff teenagers looked like the spoiled asses they are. Welcome to reality television in public life.

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1530
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The judge didn't grandstand, if the news doesn't write the article not many people would know what he did.

Czar

Post Number: 2876
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Maybe. But considering he posed for a photo and talked to the Free Press extensively, makes you wonder who the source was that tipped the paper off.

Eastside

Post Number: 761
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do not miss the any "point"...I'm just not on an authority trip and I refuse to view the article from that angle. I think Peanut breath makes a better argument than I did. Nobody knows if those kids were sentenced lightly...that would depend upon the facts of the original charge, as written in the report. We also dont know if any criminals were released to make room for these honor students. What we do know is that Sheriff Michael Bouchard is always on the news complaining to the taxpayers that he has no room to keep the crooks locked up. We also know that Martone has a history of grandstanding.
I'm looking at this thing from a pratical point of view rather than a narrow minded or, as PB wrote, "fascist" one.
The girls were foolish to post that stuff, but kids will be kids...I give a nod to the spirit of their message to Martone though.
I see kids all the time making stupid decisions every day, even life and death decisions, involving themselves and others...and I just dont think the girls in this story are irresponsible, foolish perhaps, but mostly intelligent and responsible.
I have to admit, I'm biased towards the girls because they did not get behind a wheel. I view this as most responsible...as opposed to, lets say, the actions of a...Brooks Patterson. That would represent the opposite of responsible.
I know I know...that has nothing to do with this story, thats a different situation and a different set of "rules".
I apologize...I digress. What was your point?

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 12.15.1.161
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 3:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Whether or not the judge is or isn't egotistical really has nothing to do with the matter.

The kids knew the policy of the school was zero tolerance and they chose to take their chances. Zero tolerance is a pretty easy concept for anyone to grasp, especially an honor student.

I like would think that someone who was an honor student might have actually learned something on their first encounter with the legal system. Instead, this person chose to ignore the terms and conditions that they agreed to abide by. On top of that, they took a personal shot at the judge who sentenced them, and then provided the entire world with the evidence (photos) that they were violating the terms of their probation.

This girl's mother accuses the judge of making things personal? Who created the website? Who put the pictures out there with the 'F U' caption?

Had this girl chosen to learn something useful from her first legal problem and try to get on with her life as a student, I would think her second run in with Judge Martone would have never happened. Instead, she did not learn anything and decided that it more important to get the last word in by thumbing her nose at the Judge and the legal system.

If these girls are such "good kids" then they should know the difference between right and wrong. Crying and showing remorse after you have been busted usually indicates that someone is sorry that they were caught as opposed to sorry for what they have done.

Accept the consequences of your actions and accept responsibility. That's part of being an adult.

Eastside

Post Number: 762
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You know czar, I suspect the source that tipped the media to this story...is in fact the same source that tipped the media to the monster story that played on both TV and print a few months back. You remember right? When Martone's son got robbed in his MSU dorm room?

Susanarosa
Username: Susanarosa

Post Number: 696
Posted From: 208.39.170.90
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're doing something illegal don't take pictures of it and post them on the internet.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 358
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Monster story"??? Check that story on Google and see - what? three or four references, and two of the from State News. Marone's son got held up in his dorm room. I imagine that most parents would have had the meetings and talked to the (minimal) press that Marone did under the same circumstances.

I question your motivations here Eastside - especially since you describe the story as a monster story that happened a few months ago and it happened in early 2003. Do you have something personal going on that you keep accusing the Judge as an attention hog and an egotist?

Merchantgander

Post Number: 1533
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eastside doesn't believe in accountability. It is someone else’s fault.

Czar

Post Number: 2878
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Marone's son got held up in his dorm room."

Uh, at the school I work at, this happens about two or three times a month.

Darwinism

Post Number: 363
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Merchantgander: I second your statement above regarding accountability.

I have heard from school officials throughout the region as a consultant, that teenagers are absolutely out-of-control. I have heard from law enforcement officials throughout the region, again as a consultant, that teenagers are absolutely out-of-control. Why have we allowed teenagers so much room to be menace to society ? It really all starts at home. If parents do not have control, or are not given control, the school system have no leverage and the law enforcement agencies have no leverage ..... until the point where we see wooden crosses, flowers and stuffed animals beyond the shoulder and the curb along the highway. Yes, it is 'just a sip'. Yes, they are in a limo on that night. But what about other nights, what about the evidence of alcohol abuse being proudly flaunted on the Internet. Where do we begin to say, "Kids ! Cut it out. NOW ?" Sad but unfortunately a reality.

Diggelicious
Username: Diggelicious

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 69.242.215.5
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This case isn't everything that has been reported to the press. It initially started with the boyfriend of one of the girl's making a deragatory comment to Martone's son at Michigan State. Martone's son then sent the address of the pictures(he got it from the guys instant messanger profile) to his dad, and that's when it got interesting. Actually, when Martone was walking into the prelim hearing, he made a comment to the boyfriend about saying things to his son. It's funny how a simple joke led girls to spend 30 days in prison. Not trying to add anything to the rumor mill, but this is how it all started... and for the suburb haters, the cast of characters are all from Troy.

Southwestmap

Post Number: 359
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, interesting. I guess that the guy who made the nasty comment and the girl who made the website learned a lesson about the merits of retaliation when you're red-handed wrong.

Diggelicious

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 69.242.215.5
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, I'll say this, nothing like checking the free press this morning and reading a story about your younger siblings roomates / friends.

Eastside

Post Number: 763
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"It's funny how a simple joke led girls to spend 30 days in prison."

Digg, you dont get it do you? This is the ONLY manner in which these honor students could be held accountable for their actions. They have to be locked up.
Don't agree?
Well then you just dont believe in accoutability in general do you?

Diggelicious

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 146.9.251.126
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 8:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This is the ONLY manner in which these honor students could be held accountable for their actions. They have to be locked up. "

Lock up students for using alcohol underage when only harming themselves? Were they driving? Was anyone injured from this except themselves? Accountability for such a crime would include large fines and community service, with possible probation. But it absolutely ridiculous to try to set an example by sending girls to prison for 30 days as a "lesson". I understand the counter argument that this will prevent people from drinking which will theoretically prevent drunk driving, but this is not enough of an argument to send college girls to jail because of alcohol. Such a joke. there is such thing as accountability and also such thing as overuse of power. In this case, judge martone pushed his power around.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2366
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Lock up students for using alcohol underage when only harming themselves? Were they driving? Was anyone injured from this except themselves? Accountability for such a crime would include large fines and community service

Now I asked this before:

Would that same thing bee said by you Digg had it happened to someone with a small amount of Mary J, who would only have been using it and hurting himself? Or would mandatory sentencing laws still be enforced...

hmmm....

Jim
Username: Jim

Post Number: 965
Posted From: 68.43.27.192
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 9:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure those great kids needed to be spanked many years ago; much like their parents need to be now.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 69.81.52.188
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 9:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why jail? Because it's effective. Being stripped of your rights and forced to sit in a cell for 3, 10, 30 days really drives home that what you did isn't a joke. You can be punished for something and not learn your lesson. This girl was suspended from school, dragged into a courtroom, and sentenced to probation, and she still didn't take it seriously. It was just enough to piss her off, and make her do the all-time bonehead move of taking pictures of yourself doing illegal things and posting them on the internet.

I personally think 3 to 5 days would have been enough to send a message. But then again, I'm not a judge. I haven't studied enough cases to know if that would be a respected punishment or if it too would be basically ignored.

Eastside

Post Number: 765
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The faces of crime in Oakland

Pam
Username: Pam

Post Number: 50
Posted From: 4.229.81.97
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Those tube tops are also a fashion crime.

Diggelicious

Post Number: 38
Posted From: 146.9.251.126
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 10:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

detroit_stylin,
It matters the quantity of mary j so again i wouldn't punish with jail time...

Jail is great, but being forced to pay a large fine and community service rather than having an 18 year old probationary girl who (shocker alert!) drank in college is much more normal of a sentence. I love this crusade against drinking, jail isn't the answer. my two cents. And come on, Martone loves to have a media showcase. I do see people's points, but IMHO its still a little too much. I think people like the jail sentence because it is rich little white girls getting a taste of reality. But i ask you, if a 18 year old african american boy from detroit was under the same circumstances, would african americans in particular think that there would be a racial bias for an absurd sentence? I personally think there would. disclaimer: i am not trying to be racially charged, just trying throw something out there.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 944
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Should be sentenced to 30 days on Cass at Selden.
What would Judge Mathis do?????????

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1585
Posted From: 4.229.123.153
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I did not read thru all the posts here but this much I know.............if you break the law you i.e. these kids are at the mercy of the court and their lives are no longer their own.

They can bitch their parents can whine and moan but the fact is the judge decides.So to avoid having someone else run their lives they should have not broken the law.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 37
Posted From: 4.229.156.6
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 12:21 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As a previous poster pointed out, these girls agreed to certain terms the first time around, one of which was to not drink alcohol (at least until being of legal age to do so), as set forth by the judge. The girls then preceded to violate this direct order from the judge, and were quite stupid enough to post the evidence on the internet for the world to see. On top of that (according to another previous post), a boyfriend of one of the offenders POINTED THIS WEBSITE OUT to the son of the judge, who passed it on to his father.

If anyone thinks that violating orders of a court in the United States should not be punishable by jail in any circumstance, I wish I could understand your reasoning.

In regard to the complaint about jail overcrowding in Oakland County, well, that's not the judge's problem, is it? These girls didn't get the point the first time, so why waste a court's time with future missed points? It seems jail did the trick here.

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 751
Posted From: 70.228.1.173
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 12:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"This girl's mother accuses the judge of making things personal? Who created the website? Who put the pictures out there with the 'F U' caption?"

So true! I think the person with a big problem here is the mother of the "honor student" Mary whatzername...She says it was the judge who made it personal. She says it could have been a "teachable moment" for the school and judge.

I don't think this mother is in a position to lecture anybody about "teachable moments," she clearly has failed as a parent to instill any values in her daughter. Look at the conversation between the "honor student" Mary and the judge, where she first blindly lies and tries to say that "FU MARTONE" doesn't mean anything bad.

What the? This kid has obviously been lying and obfuscating her way through life and this is the first time somebody's put up a stop sign.

And about the honor student thing. Surely you have to be joking, to imply that being an honor student puts you above having to follow the rules, or know the difference between wrong or right?

So earning "A's" gives you a free pass to be a jerk and a criminal? So you've never known anyone to be both smart and bad?

Welcome to the world.

Jfre66_77
Username: Jfre66_77

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 68.60.148.230
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 1:08 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If I read the article correctly, the harsh sentencing was for beaking probation, not for the original infraction. The original penalties she faced were pretty strong for a high school kid, especially an honor student who doesn't get to graduate with their cords. That punishment didn't really seem to phase her, and as a previous poster said, seemed to *piss her off*. I doubt community service would have been enough to teach her a lesson, and as far as a large fine, mommy and daddy would have ponied up for that.

Being an honor student is about more than just the grades. Grades only qualify you to be a member of the National Honor Society or any honors organization. These organizations also make it a point to stress excellence in all aspects of life, not just on your report card.

Pffft

Post Number: 752
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 1:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FORGET the honor student stuff. I know innumerable honor students who were total jerks when they weren't sucking up to and/or lying to authority figures.

Look at how these "honor students" behave. Obviously they aren't being held to a high enough standard.

Eastside

Post Number: 766
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 1:28 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"A young woman, on probation after serving six months for nearly killing a fellow motorist in a fit of road rage, routinely drove to see her probation officer -- even though her license was suspended. After she got caught driving a third time, she drew the wrath of Oakland County Circuit Judge Nanci Grant. You belong back in jail, an angry Grant told the woman during a November probation violation hearing. Instead, Grant reluctantly sentenced her to an additional 200 hours of community service.
Why? Because the Oakland County Jail had no room."

This is the type of woman I want taking up a bed at the jail...someone who is a threat to the community around her.

Another poster stated... "In regard to the complaint about jail overcrowding in Oakland County, well, that's not the judge's problem, is it?"
In fact it is very much his problem.

"Oakland County is going to have to decide if that's how they want the jail to be used -- for MIPs and other offenders who have committed minor misdemeanors," said Oakland County Undersheriff Michael McCabe. "And if that's the case, if that's really what we want, we'd better get out the bricks and the mortar, because we need more space, and we'd better be able to pay for the operations as well."
http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=2005601040360

Pffft

Post Number: 753
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 1:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wah wah waaaaaah. Cry me a river for a few selfish, spoiled brats. If their parents had said the word "no" to them once or twice, these kids wouldn't now be paying the price for their bad behavior.

It's sad that someone that bright has to start all over at community college. But better that she learns this lesson now, than never.

Smogboy
Username: Smogboy

Post Number: 1640
Posted From: 68.84.183.189
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 3:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why weren't these "honor" (very ironic) students repentant when they were first busted? If they were, they would've calmed things down, gotten their act together, learned their lesson and left this judge far behind. Instead they go and violate the sentence that was given to them. What ever happened to their own responsibility and accountability?

I see the parents feeble ego here trying to defend their own kids' faults. If the parents were really responsible, they'd back the judge in his initial judgement and be thankful for setting the higher moral standard.

Simply put- the girls knew the rules. They broke them, got busted and deserved to be sentenced. Too bad.

Darwinism

Post Number: 364
Posted From: 69.209.187.90
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Teenagers these days are the products of #1: parents not doing enough proper parenting, or #2: parents not allowed by law to do proper parenting. Hence, we have kids who act out if they don't like the way things are dealt to them, and be rebellious because they have absolutely no sense of respect.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1641
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 3:34 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bravo to Amanda Senopole, one of the girls busted in all of this. According to today's Detroit News...

"Senopole appeared before Martone last week, telling him: "I have a new roommate now. She doesn't drink." She also said she earned a 3.6 grade-point average in the fall at Michigan State, and pledged she would introduce her dormitory to an alcohol education program.
Martone doubled Senopole's hours of community service, to 100, but gave her less jail time than Meerschaert and Stesney -- 10 days -- and let her serve them one at a time, on weekends, "so it doesn't interrupt your studies."

And this gal's father seems to have taken in the entire situation a whole lot better than the other aprents...

"Judge Martone's a fair man," Senopole's father, Tom, said outside the courtroom last week. " ... She was just in the wrong crowd, wrong time, wrong place."

Now THIS gal (along with her family- kudos to them as well) seems to have stepped up and have accepted the responsibility. They've admitted their mistake and have accepted their punishment and seemingly WILL move on from it. As far as the others in this case, we shall see but at least some good seems to have come from this.

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 313
Posted From: 35.11.158.84
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 3:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I really don't like either side in this case. The girls are dumbasses for posting that stuff online. The judge is a crusading egomanic probation for a first offense MIP something that's usually reduced to a fine. Then like Eastside points out this wasted limited jail space for 30 days that could've used for a real threat. God knows I'll know sleep better knowing that a drunk driver couldn't be jailed so that these girls could be taught a lesson

Smogboy

Post Number: 1644
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 4:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Eric, I don't think any criminals are left out of jail on account of these folks, is there? It's not like a judge looks at the space allocation in the local jail before sentencing- or at least I don't think so. I'd like to think that if they sudenly arrested a mass murderer or some other felon and space needed to be made in the jail, there would be some provision for moving the less serious criminals, right? If anyone can clarify that fact, please do.

Pffft

Post Number: 757
Posted From: 71.144.119.50
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 12:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, like the Troy jail is just bursting at the seams ...

Darwinism

Post Number: 365
Posted From: 69.209.187.90
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 12:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Pffft: Exactly what I was thinking ..... trying real hard to imagine the Troy jail packed like a can of sardines ! :-)

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 504
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 1:03 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"He sentenced her to 30 days in the Oakland County Jail. She was marched off in handcuffs, to spend Christmas and New Year's Day behind bars.

Martone then sentenced Stesney to 15 days. The two become cellmates."

The girls served their time in the Oakland County Jail, not the local Troy jail. Even though you may think that Oakland County is crime free, it is a fact that the Oakland County Jail has overcrowding problems and a shortage of space.

Pffft

Post Number: 758
Posted From: 71.144.119.50
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 1:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think of it as "scared straight" Erikd. It seemed to be the jailtime that straightened out the one girl's attitude very quickly. Here at least two overindulged princesses who won't overdose on shots on their 21st birthdays.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1649
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 1:29 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

But if there were overcrowding conditions at the Oakland County Jail, I'd still say tough luck for those girls. Jail time isn't supposed to be easy. They're being punished for their actions. No one ever said going to jail should be like a day at the spa.

And knowing that fact keeps me on the straight and narrow. But then as a responsible adult I also know that if I get busted doing something illegal, I'm going to have to face a very unpleasant place.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 152
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 6:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Being an "honor" student in this era of over-inflated GPAs means very little for many of them. Some K-6s in troubled school districts have over 1/2 of their kids on the "honor roll."

Mgd04
Username: Mgd04

Post Number: 157
Posted From: 71.197.24.201
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 5:10 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look, drinking underage is only a problem because we make it one. In most countries in the world (including our neighbors to the north) one can start drinking at much less than 21 yrs. How is it possible we tell kids they can get married, but not have a glass of wine to celebrate? How can we tell them they are old enough to be drafted, fight and kill others in the armed forces, but not allowed to have a beer with their fellow soldiers? How is it that we place in them the responsibility to vote, run for political office, and become recognize them legally as adults yet they aren't allowed to have a drink? Simply put, underage drinking is a problem only because we say it is. What they did was wrong only because Martone said it was, otherwise... uh oh a bunch of college kids are drinking. Was there any mention of anyone they hurt or harmed? The answer is no because there was no one. The girls were responsible, arranged for drivers etc. etc. They were ticked that Martone had forbade them from alcohol. Who wouldn't be? What had they even done to harm anyone the first time they got caught drinking? Martone is on an ego trip to get his name in the papers, or on google searches. Finally, make some poor girl admit she has a drinking problem because she has pictures of herself partying in college is just ridiculous. I drank in college and partied, I didn't nor do I have a drinking problem. Being forced to admit a fake problem in front of a self righteous judge so that he won't screw me during sentencing is just demeaning.

Mgd04
Username: Mgd04

Post Number: 158
Posted From: 71.197.24.201
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 5:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And to the former cops who will say things like rape, drunk driving etc. I agree, these are problems and should be tackled in their own right. (some might say they are created by the institution of underage drinking itself but i shall not digress). But the problem isn't drinking, maybe if Martone weren't wasting precious resources on these girls we could focus on true ills to society.

Smogboy

Post Number: 1689
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 6:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Regardless if the laws are just or not at the moment- these people knew the law AND the consequences. I'm not saying they should or shouldn't be changed but at least be smart enough NOT to get caught. I fault these girls on being stupid and their parents for defending their stupidity. They weren't being responsible when they got busted the first time- they got busted at their own prom where they knew there was going to be breathalyzers there. Learn from that incident and NOT get caught.

Drinking & driving is stupid obviously but so is underage drinking and getting caught.

Regardless of whether Martone is an egomaniacal judge or not, they girls should just shut up, accept the punishment and be smarter about it the next time.

Warriorfan
Username: Warriorfan

Post Number: 248
Posted From: 68.43.81.191
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A regular misdemeanor in the state of Michigan is punishable by up to 90 days in jail, so it could have been worse for this girl. And frankly, violating your probation is a serious offense, it tells the court that the first punishment was too light because you went and did it again.

Trust me, if it was you or I before the judge for a probation violation, he would have no qualms about putting your ass or mine in jail for 30 days, why should a pretty young honors student get special treatment? The judge doesn't write the laws, but he is tasked with enforcing them without prejudice. What would we say about him if he knew these girls were violating probation and then did nothing because of who they were?

Tortfeasor
Username: Tortfeasor

Post Number: 426
Posted From: 69.209.137.45
Posted on Sunday, February 05, 2006 - 12:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mgd - A lot of things are "problems" because we make them problems. Those things called laws are a bitch, and if you break them, you get punished.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.