Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Pick-line at the stadium « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Mrfrench
Username: Mrfrench

Post Number: 3
Posted From: 69.136.146.194
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:07 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

just passes the old stadium and there are
20 or so men out front walking a picket line.

anyone know whats up?

Username: 1953

Post Number: 670
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:12 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"old stadium?"

Mrfrench

Post Number: 4
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, the old stadium.
i'm walking over in a few to get the scoop.

E_hemingway
Username: E_hemingway

Post Number: 465
Posted From: 68.42.176.123
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you referring to Tiger Stadium? I think that's what you're talking about?

Mrfrench

Post Number: 5
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes. tiger stadium.

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 791
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

probably those bastard window glaziers again! (just kidding)

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 55
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 11:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'll bet it's something to do with the prep for the "Bud Bowl" events being held in Tiger Stadium for Super Bowl weekend. Maybe using non-union help or something?

Mrfrench

Post Number: 6
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's the Michigan Regional Council of Carpenters
that are picketing.
They ( unclear on who "they" are) hired non-union
workers for the upcoming Bud Bowl.
Fox 2 News was there along with 3 Detroit Police Department vehicles.
And as a bonus..
there is also a giant inflated rat at the
Trumbull / service drive corner.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1193
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Keep on making Detroit look bad, everyone is doing a hell of a job. The NFL store gets robbed, picketers at events furthering the Detroit and its lazy union members talk.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 156
Posted From: 69.58.36.2
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NFL store robbed? Didn't hear about that one. Damn.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2207
Posted From: 12.75.19.101
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sure it's the carpenters picketing? It might be low-paid homeless folks standing in for the carpenters while the carpenters are busy on other jobs.

quote:

Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Are unions crossing line with homeless pickets?

Stand-ins hired to make a ruckus outside nonunion sites lack rank-and-file benefits.

Lucia Graves / McClatchy Newspapers

WASHINGTON -- You've heard the panhandler's common refrain, "Will work for food."

How about: "Will picket for food?"

In Washington, Baltimore, Atlanta and elsewhere in the country, union organizers are scouring shelters and recruiting homeless people to staff their picket lines, paying just above minimum wage and failing to provide health benefits.

The national carpenters' union, which broke from the AFL-CIO four years ago in a bitter dispute over organizing strategies and other issues, is hiring homeless people to stage noisy protests at nonunion construction sites.

"We're giving jobs to people who didn't have jobs, people who in some cases couldn't secure work," said George Eisner, head of the union's mid-Atlantic regional council in Baltimore.

The carpenters who belong to his union, Eisner explained, are gainfully employed. With homes and offices being built or renovated and real estate booming in many urban areas, he said, the union carpenters are too busy to join the picket lines.

"Work is good, and our members are working," Eisner said. "This is just the best thing for us to do at this point."

But the new strategy of placing homeless in picket lines disturbs some labor experts.

Neil Bernstein, a law professor at Washington University in St. Louis who specializes in labor and employment law, said unions that use such a tactic are guilty of practicing a double standard.

"They're basically doing what they're criticizing the employers for doing -- getting the cheapest people to do the job," he said.

Douglas McCarron, the president of the United Brotherhood of Carpenters and Joiners, did not respond to interview requests.

AFL-CIO President John Sweeney said he saw nothing wrong with unions hiring homeless people as pickets.

"The fact that the people demonstrating were not members of the union doesn't make much difference," Sweeney said. "What matters is that the carpenters working on the building had no health care and no pension."

When it was noted that the homeless pickets also had no benefits, Sweeney responded: "Our hope is that those workers -- that all workers -- would have health benefits, but that is a bigger issue."

Sweeney expressed the hope that the homeless protesters "may work themselves into a full-time job where they would get benefits."

A demonstrator in Washington, Nicey Howards, said the temporary protesters earn $8 an hour -- just a dollar above the legal minimum wage in Washington -- with no benefits. While she felt the job wasn't ideal, Howards was glad she could earn a little money while looking for something better.

Each week, Howards said, she works 20 hours, the maximum time allowed by the carpenters' union, bringing home $160.

The union organizers allow the hired protesters to take two-minute breaks, Howards said, but dock their pay for the time off.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060125/B IZ/601250336/1001

Mrfrench

Post Number: 7
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't know....
All these guys had on Carharts, mustaches and camo
baseball hats.
The parking lot at Brooks Lumber was filled with
new pickup trucks with bumper stickers like
"get hammered with a carpenter"
and
"my other truck is a bigger truck"
I think these guys are hammer swingers.

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1531
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 3:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is the union motto do as I say not as I do.

Peanut_breath
Username: Peanut_breath

Post Number: 113
Posted From: 66.73.225.162
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The amount of anti-union vile on these pages is surprising. The contributions of organized labor to the growth and development of this city is too easily dismissed by stale and tenuous arguments about "lazy overpaid workers," It's likely that many of these shots are being taken by people who either forgot or refuse to aknowledge the impact of the labor movement on their own families. The same movement, jobs, and just wages that established generations of middle class Detroiters. Today's labor movement is not immune from criticism, but it does deserve respectful discourse because of its very significant history. Blatant and unsubstantiated vile is simply not fair and makes Detroit look worse, _sj_, than a few carpenters exercising their constitutional rights.

(Message edited by peanut_breath on January 27, 2006)

623kraw
Username: 623kraw

Post Number: 753
Posted From: 68.41.224.200
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

They could be protesting Tiger Stadium demolition - (yeah, right - hammer that schitt down, per RASPUTIN order) then hop into your truck and fire up a Marlboro, sit back and wonder why everyone's unemployed...

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 74
Posted From: 209.114.251.65
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 4:40 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is just another indication to the outside world that Detroit, and Michigan generally, are not friendly to business.

PB: What "anti-union vile" are you talking about? One post used the word "lazy". That is not vile in my book. I think you said it best when you said, "(t)oday's labor movement is not immune from criticism...." Amen.

_sj_
Username: _sj_

Post Number: 1195
Posted From: 69.220.230.150
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

And post used the word lazy becuase that is the stigma attached to union workers from Michigan in the eyes of the rest of the country.

Atl_runner
Username: Atl_runner

Post Number: 1797
Posted From: 68.209.118.72
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The contributions of organized labor to the growth and development of this city is too easily dismissed by stale and tenuous arguments about "lazy overpaid workers," It's likely that many of these shots are being taken by people who either forgot or refuse to aknowledge the impact of the labor movement on their own families.

There is a monument to Labor in Hart Plaza. Just like there is a Monument to Abraham Lincoln in Washington DC. He's dead, so are Unions.

Peanut_breath

Post Number: 114
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spartacus, do a search on this forum for a thread on this topic and you'll see that the "vile" I speak of is more than a single post. Your response lacks any information regarding this incident. It may not be evident on these pages, but the "outside world" you refer to does not view the image of Detroit exclusively through the lens of a right wing agenda. If critique of organized labor is what you intend, make a plausible argument with a little more substance than a need to be "friendly to business." Many of these same businesses were responsible for brutal violence, and exploitation in response to workers attempting to organize. The same "freedom" the right is so quick to use to justify war, is being exercised right now by men with picket signs.

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6559
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P_B - I will apologize to our union janitor that was sleeping in the bathroom stall today.

Obviously he was just tired from working his ass off.

I will also apologize to the union guy that was getting stoned at lunch. Maybe it's medicinal.

While I do not mean to say that this is typical for all unions but as great as unions were back in the day they are really hurting the state of michigan and the city of Detroit.

If I'm a developer I would love to pay an extra 30-40% for mandated union labor in the city. I know that would have me running to develop in Detroit.

Unions have abused their powers and have pushed much of their expensive lifestyle onto consumers.

So tell me why an uneducated, mildly skilled worker deserves wages that allow them to buy a vacation cottage, boats, jet skis, 2 huge new cars and be protected regardless of their actions.

One effect that unions have had on this region is that they essentially sucked the entrepenuarial (sp?) spirit out of Michigan. After decades of dependence on unions and high paying factory jobs we have had a couple generations that have never even considered anything but. There is a coorelation with the dependancy upon union jobs and the lack of new business growth.

Just my 2 cents. Union are still needed to ensure that workers are working in a safe environement and can earn a decent wage but the idea of unions has been bastardized to feed a "Me, Me, Me" mentality.

I have seen so much abuse and protection from unions I may be skewed but I think they have abused their powers to the point that they have made themselves a bigger burden than anything.

But as long as they keep fighting against concessions they will keep losing jobs. I ask you to think of the US economy. Now think about which states are suffering and their union mentality vesus other states. It's not a coincidence.

Jt1

Post Number: 6560
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

To add - I am not in support of everything done by larger corporations.

The cuts that Delphi proposed were absolutely despicable.

Peanut_breath

Post Number: 115
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

ATL, dead is also the Donovan/Motown building, and you can see the amount of passion and discourse this caused. This is because of the historical significance of the building. My frustration rests in the fact that the history of the labor movement is so often dismissed in this forum. The Labor Legacy monument in Hart Plaza and the Lincoln Memorial represent so much more that two "dead things." Your analogy is childish, disrespectful, and ill-thought out

Jt1

Post Number: 6562
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One more thing to add:

I think that most union workers are hard workers. The issue is that the union blindly supports the deal weight that needs to go such as the sleeping janitor and stoner referenced above.

Mrfrench

Post Number: 8
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wonder what these fellahs thought about unions
application/octet-streamcoal miners cofee break
miners (39.2 k)

Mrfrench

Post Number: 9
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

sorry,
first time trying to include an image.

will this go in my DetroitYES file?

If so... " I WANNA SEE MY UNION MAN"

Peanut_breath

Post Number: 116
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1, I'm not asking you to apologize to the handful of bad workers you witnessed on their jobs, just as I'm not asking you to apologize for the handful of corporate executives who pilfer their employees' pensions and defraud investers. I'm asking you to back up your argument that unskilled, undereducated, lazy stoners and the unions that allegedly represent them are responsible for the state of economics in this state and in this city. As much as you might want to believe, you are not a victim here. Be thankful that your education, skills, and apparent astute knowledge about the complexities of Labor/Management relations on the state of economics has given you an opportunity to work a job that doesn't involve swinging a hammer or mopping up piss. Also be thankful that this job provides you the ability to continue your investigation into pot smoking workers, their union status, and the assets they possess. I'm impressed. With the conclusions you've made, you must have spent some serious time researching the financial well being of today's union members. While you're at it, give me some research about how easy it is to land one of these factory jobs you speak of, without moving to China. Maybe you can ask your janitor friend during his next nap. You might even get an invite to his summer cottage.

Jt1

Post Number: 6564
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 5:57 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

just as I'm not asking you to apologize for the handful of corporate executives who pilfer their employees' pensions and defraud investers.

No way in hell could I or would I stick up for these types either

Peanut_breath

Post Number: 117
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 6:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mr. French, I don't get it?

Jt1

Post Number: 6565
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 6:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm asking you to back up your argument that unskilled, undereducated, lazy stoners and the unions that allegedly represent them are responsible for the state of economics in this state and in this city. As much as you might want to believe, you are not a victim here

Never have I stated that I am the victim. How incolved do you want me to get in the coorelation between union based economies and the economy of those respective states. Since you are going to take a condescending approach I would like to know how much detail will satisfy you.

quote:

I'm impressed. With the conclusions you've made, you must have spent some serious time researching the financial well being of today's union members

Seeing as it is my family I guess the research doesn;t have to go too far.

quote:

Be thankful that your education, skills, and apparent astute knowledge about the complexities of Labor/Management relations on the state of economics has given you an opportunity to work a job that doesn't involve swinging a hammer or mopping up piss

I worked those jobs for many years at a wage that was in line with my skills. Never did I have protection or was I getting pay that would allow me to live a comfortable lifestyle.

quote:

Also be thankful that this job provides you the ability to continue your investigation into pot smoking workers, their union status, and the assets they possess

The funny thing is there is no research necessaty. KNowing who is snoring in the stall next to you and seeing a person getting stoned in the parking lot as you go out to lunch is not investigative research. It does however make one wonder what else is being done if this is out in the open. Maybe it is a case of a couple bad apples but it doesn't change the fact that the union would support them regardless of their actions.

quote:

While you're at it, give me some research about how easy it is to land one of these factory jobs you speak of, without moving to China.

It is not easy as they are all leaving. That is a direct result of the unions unwillingness to bend pricing them out of the market. GM didn;t pull out of Flint to ruin a city but the unions there made it impossible to make a profitable product. Bravo union, bravo.

quote:

Maybe you can ask your janitor friend during his next nap. You might even get an invite to his summer cottage.

Smartass - I do know him and I know that he has a cottage. I guess having had his position for 20 years with a shit load of unneeded overtime helped pay for it.

You make a lof of assumptions about what I know, who I know and what I have seen. To paint the union members as innocent victims is very disingenious.

Jt1

Post Number: 6566
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 6:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So PB, one last question.

What do you think is a fair wage for a janitor? a carpenter? a line worker?

Do I think that they should make a fair wage? Absolutely. I suspect however that our perception of fair will vastly differ.

Mrfrench

Post Number: 10
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

P_B,
I didn't submit the photo correctly, and in some
cases, when you make a mistake, you are written up
by the bosses. In those instances, it is sometimes wise to ask for union representation.

Jt1

Post Number: 6567
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One final point to clarify my position:

I am not anti-union in a strict sense. I am anti-union excess and unions protecting under performing workers for no other reason than they are in a union.

I just think that they abuse the power they have then complain about the situations that they helped cause. Too much protectionism and not enough accountability.

Spartacus

Post Number: 75
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 6:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

PB: I'm not sure I know where to begin with you. I don't think anyone has suggested that the picketers don't have a right to express themselves (which isn't to say they have a right to interrupt the work going on at Tiger Stadium). People on this page have merely suggested that it is a blow to the image of the area. You keep implying that people are trying to stifle their first amendment rights. Not true. Don't people on this board have a right to criticize the picketers? Or like most on the left, are your rules a one-way street?

Your emotionally charged responses condescendingly critique others for not researching their opinions. I suppose we need to footnote everything for you to be happy.

Okay, so I'll play your game. The union contract that GM signed (with a gun to its head) provides that GM workers who worked at factories that are now closed will continue to receive nearly their pay and benefits until the union contract expires in September of 2007. GM is currently estimating that this will cost at least $800,000,000 in 2006 alone. In a highly competitive and rapidly evolving industry you need to be able to adjust your workforce to meet your needs. GM has been handcuffed by the UAW. The UAW has shortsightedly done everything that it can to squeeze every last penny out of GM.

If you think the captain's of industry- the same people who direct the placement of capital wax nostalgically about the history of the labor movement like you do, then I'm afriad you're sadly mistaken. If they did, then maybe locating in Michigan would sound like a great idea. Unfortunately this isn't the case. Most business owners will fight the organization of their workplace with everything they've got. They realize intuitively (without the need to do a lot of research) that it is a detriment to the business. If that's the case, do you really expect them to locate their workplace in a militant union region?

Peanut_breath

Post Number: 118
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 6:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

GM didn;t pull out of Flint to ruin a city but the unions there made it impossible to make a profitable product. Bravo union, bravo

Again, unsubstantiated conclusions aren't going to sell your point. Give me some research about how the cost of labor single handedly made it impossible to make a profit and I'll accept your criticisms. The fact that GM has been designing and engineering inferior products plays no role in its profit margins, right?

quote:

I do know him and I know that he has a cottage

Maybe you should apply for his position so that you too could enjoy his lifestyle. Again, you are not a victim.

quote:

I guess having had his position for 20 years with a shit load of unneeded overtime helped pay for it

Who's making disingenious assumptions?

quote:

You make a lof of assumptions about what I know, who I know and what I have seen. To paint the union members as innocent victims is very disingenious.

I'm not painting a portrait of any victim. I'm simply attempting to defend on onslaught of unfounded attacks on organized labor and its role in this city. I encourage a healthy discourse about the role of the labor movement. All I'm asking for is a little more substance and a little more respect in this debate. I could very easily spout off about how all workers are being exploited by evil corporations whose interests lie soley in padding executive salaries. I could just as easily attempt to support this conclusion with real life stories of Enron and WorldCom. That, my friend, would be disingenious. The fact of the matter, is there are good workers and shitty workers; good companies and bad. Regardless of where your ideological allegiance lies the debate over labor/managment issues should rest on substantiated facts, not emotional cries of outrage because of a janitor owning a cottage.

Jt1

Post Number: 6568
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Who's making disingenious assumptions?

Not I. I work in the field and know how overtime has been cut and services have remained the same. There is a reason that unscheduled overtime is a huge driving force of how many manufacturing facilities are running. Look for some major changes in many large companies to completely eliminate unscheduled overtime.

quote:

I'm asking for is a little more substance and a little more respect in this debate.

Yet you dismiss what everyone says with your argument of 'give me proof'. My proof in many cases is my experiences that you have questioned at every point in this thread.

quote:

Regardless of where your ideological allegiance lies the debate over labor/managment issues should rest on substantiated facts, not emotional cries of outrage because of a janitor owning a cottage.

And I ask you the same. Show me why unions are necessary. I have no problem with a janitor owning a cottage. I have issues with a janitor sleeping on the job and having 100% protection from his union rep.

You know as well as I that people simply do not put in complaints about union laborers slacking off because we will in turn (yes, my experience, I have learned) be targeted with every grievance known to man.

Do you have any idea on how much the Big 3 pay to settle the most ridiculous grievances? If a plant is at 67 instead of 68 grievances are filed. Those grievances are settled with money in many cases.

Tell me how that level of union protectionism is good for anyone involved. I know people that I used to work with that would go out of their way to file every grievance they could imagine figuring there would be financial compensation.

I am all for unions protecting workers fair (and I mean fair) wages and ensuring safe working conditions. I do not, however agree with ridiculous protectionism when some employees (a very small portion mind you) spend more time looking for grievanmces to file than working.

Do you have any idea how much money is paid for the most minute grievance at a large manufacturing facility? That is a pretty large indicator that the union is not working form an idealistic stand point.

Have you ever had programs delayed because a union would not sign off on bringing in contract labor even though they are fully utilized for the next 3-4 months. The attitude of we can't do it but you can't bring anyone in to do it just does wonders for the respective corporation.

Again -these are isolated examples and not representative of all cases. If the union did not support these types of actions I would have a much better attitude towards them but I have seen this stuff time and time again.

Gianni
Username: Gianni

Post Number: 202
Posted From: 209.104.144.90
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 7:21 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I was in Manhattan and downtown Chicago this summer and saw the "rat" in both places. We must be doing something right.

Jt1

Post Number: 6569
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 7:22 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think that it is pretty common place. I believe that it was used in other strikes around here recently.

Peanut_breath

Post Number: 119
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 7:42 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Spartacus

quote:

You keep implying that people are trying to stifle their first amendment rights. Not true. Don't people on this board have a right to criticize the picketers? Or like most on the left, are your rules a one-way street?

Reread my comment about constitutional rights. I never made any such implication. Solid lead-in for an irrational jab at the left, however.

quote:

if the captain's of industry- the same people who direct the placement of capital wax nostalgically about the history of the labor movement like you do, then I'm afriad you're sadly mistaken.

Mistaken about what? I never made the argument that "wax[ing] nostalgically about the history of the labor movement" is a means by which industry leaders should make business decisions regarding where to locate. You're flying off the handle here.

quote:

They realize intuitively (without the need to do a lot of research) that it is a detriment to the business. If that's the case, do you really expect them to locate their workplace in a militant union region?

Many businesses rely on skilled and specialized workforce to complete jobs. It's not rare that a business will seek out a union shop for completion of such specialized work. As much as you may want to view the organized work force as unskilled and worthless, a good contractor often understands that his best option regarding labor isn't necessarily the cheapest at-will workforce. You are mistaken by believing that these "captians of industry" are being hijacked at gun point and forced to employ union workers. You are also mistaken by believing that a couple dozen carpenters with picket signs are "interrupting the work going on at Tiger Stadium."

Peanut_breath

Post Number: 120
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 8:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gianni, I think there needs to be a digital rat demonstrating through these pages

(Message edited by peanut_breath on January 27, 2006)

Spartacus

Post Number: 76
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 8:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

First off, I didn't say they were interrupting work at Tiger Stadium. I simply stated that no one on this thread suggested they didn't have the right to picket. We all know that Unions love to interrupt work, in fact, in some instances that is the point of the picket. If that was going on then this would be a different story. You mentioned "freedom" and "constitutional rights" the implication being that these issues were in play.

You stated that the outside world, "does not view the image of Detroit exclusively through the lens of a right wing agenda." So you think that most business leaders think that an area with a heavy union culture is a good place to set-up shop? I'm curious, in your view through what lens does wall street see the image of Detroit?

BTW, I never said union workers were "unskilled or worthless" You like setting up those paper tigers don't you.

Spartacus

Post Number: 77
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 8:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All I'm trying to say is that I believe this reinforces a negative image of the region.

Mrfrench

Post Number: 11
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Excuse me....
Mr. Peanut_Breath.
I am an out of work analog rat.
My rat wife left me for a digital rat.
His eyes could blink in different colors!!!
HOW CAN I COMPETE WITH THAT?

Peanut_breath

Post Number: 121
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 8:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I'm curious, in your view through what lens does wall street see the image of Detroit?

At this point, Detroiters aren't concerned much about how some suit on Wall Street views their city. I think most of us are looking forward to improved city services, lower crime, and improved schools. These "business leaders" you seem to be so concerned about, and the image of Detroit they will see, is much more influenced by the above factors than a few picket signs and an inflatable rat.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 954
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

From the way back news dept, here is a picket line in May of 1939. The UAW and Briggs Mfg. were at odds with one another. The DPD preserved the disorder at Briggs Stadium.
UAW 1

UAW 2

UAW 3

UAW 4

UAW 5

UAW 6

UAW 7
WSU

A picture of Briggs Stadium from the '40s

Briggs exterior

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.