Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The lowdown on Motown: Bad rap a joke Chicago Tribune « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Philbert
Username: Philbert

Post Number: 203
Posted From: 68.255.36.204
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The lowdown on Motown: Bad rap a joke

Published January 26, 2006

Well, it has begun.

The dissing of Detroit. The lame jokes. The insults. The complaints about the crime. The cracks about the boredom. The whines about the weather. That unprovoked need to put down a whole town. That typical, "Why can't the Super Bowl be someplace else?"

Yeah, sure. Let's give this game back to a Super Bowl host city with no history of violence or riots in the streets … you know, like Miami.

No, wait. Let's move it back to a Super Bowl city with culture, nightlife, four-star restaurants galore and countless pro sports teams to entertain you … you know, like Jacksonville.

No, I have it. Let's go to a Super Bowl city with year-round fabulous weather, ocean breezes and beaches … you know, like Atlanta and Houston.

But it was a sure thing that as soon as this Feb. 5 game loomed on the horizon, all of the jokers and jackals would pop up like groundhogs to take a big, slobbering bite out of Super Bowl XL for being in Detroit.

All in good, clean fun, of course.

You know how it works. I do it myself all the time. Chicago is windy, Seattle is wet, Boston eats beans, Baltimore eats crabs, Florida is full of old people, yada, yada, yada.

This stuff seems pretty harmless and silly to me. But the jokes about Detroit don't, because they tend to be about what a bad place it is to be.

A lot of the rips are about going up there and having your car set on fire. Or getting a gun stuck in your face.

A fellow from Seattle—a good friend and a great writer—couldn't resist kidding that Detroit got this game because "Baghdad, as you know, was booked."

Oh, man. A cold joke, I can understand. A car joke, I get. Eminem, Madonna, Aretha, take your best shot. But come on … Baghdad? The punch line to a Detroit gag is Baghdad?

I wouldn't normally be sensitive, but it just so happens this game at Ford Field is following on the heels of 30,000 Ford auto employees being put out of work, an announcement this week that has brought great sorrow to hundreds of thousands of Michigan lives.

So take it easy on the Motor City, could you? A lot of people are in pain up there. I'm sorry you can't go there in February for golf. I guess that's reason enough to trash a whole town.

Or maybe it's that so-called dangerous element you fear.

Over the last few years, the Detroit area has been host to the NBA Finals, hockey's Stanley Cup, golf's Ryder Cup and baseball's All-Star Game, each of which came off delightfully. So chill out. You need to pack a winter coat, not a bulletproof vest.

A brawl at a Pistons game? That was Ron Artest's fault. An assault at the U.S. figure skating championships? That was Tonya Harding's fault.

Neither of these lawbreakers lived in Detroit, last time I checked.

No wonder a lot of Michigan folk can't take a joke. Most of them have heard one too many.

Joke if you must, but beware.

Jimmy Kimmel cracked on his ABC late-night show in 2005 that if the Detroit Pistons won the NBA title, the city would burn. It earned him a suspension. I have a feeling ABC's auto advertisers might have had a little something to do with that.

The fact is Detroit did have ugly incidents after NBA and World Series games. But I also have seen burning and looting in Los Angeles, so let's make sure we never have a championship game anywhere near there, OK?

Chicago has had its share of civil disobedience—I hear tell that it's cold, too—so no big events should be held here either. Next time the White Sox go to a World Series, better play the whole thing in Houston.

There were riots in Paris recently. That big bike race should go to a safer place, become the Tour de Phoenix.

I had a Seahawks fan sit by me on a flight last week, going on about how "unsafe" Detroit is.

I meant to ask him about that World Trade Organization's convention in Seattle, the one with the outbreaks of violent protest in the streets. Too bad it couldn't have been held in some city that's safer and warmer—you know, like Baghdad.

Just kidding.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/ sports/columnists/cs-060125dow ney,1,3075782.column?page=1&co ll=chi-sportscolumnistfront-he d

(Message edited by Philbert on January 26, 2006)

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2348
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Damn...

That's probably THE best article I have ever seen writtien about the D. Especially in defense of the D. And from the Chi as well? I mean we already had the positive article from the one writer from NY. So is it really so that all of the negativity comes from people that live in areas with an inferiority complex that needs the D to put down in order to self stroke their own shattered egos?

Seems to be that's what's really going on...

I loved that article for real. That has to be one of the most unbiased pieces I have read from any news source in a while. The Freep and News writers could take several pointers in that respect from the Tribune.

Fnemecek
Username: Fnemecek

Post Number: 1483
Posted From: 70.227.206.65
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

OMG!!!

I love this article.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 150
Posted From: 69.51.137.10
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just wrote him a little Email, thanking him for a fair view of the D.

I think that all of the skeptical fans will be surprised by how much fun there is to have, especially during the superbowl.

cs

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 749
Posted From: 12.34.51.20
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downey used to be a Free Press columnist.

Kimmiann
Username: Kimmiann

Post Number: 13
Posted From: 155.139.40.51
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I sent the following email to Mike Downey for his wonderful column.

"Thank you! Thank you! Thank you! Unfortunately, the national perception of Detroit is not likely to change. That car burning incident was in 1984, for crying out loud! We’re holding our collective breaths up here, praying that folks will just give us a chance, and certain they won’t. Who knows, if people would quit trying to accentuate the negative, they might actually have FUN!"

What I did not point out to him was we have far too many people in the suburbs and exurbs of Detroit which won't give the city a chance to expect that anyone else might come to us with an open mind. What a shame!

Naturalsister
Username: Naturalsister

Post Number: 449
Posted From: 70.8.67.19
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 5:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Awesome. I'm sending an e-mail too.

Truth is True. Good to hear it sometimes.

later - naturalsister

Bagman
Username: Bagman

Post Number: 52
Posted From: 69.221.73.132
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Car burning happened when WE (Detroit)won a baseball game. Why would any cars get burnt up during the Super Bowl? Unless those who drove here figured out the scam?

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9809
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 5:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Fuck Chicago. Oh wait....that was positive wasn't it? Is this writer a former Detroiter or something? I don't get it, where is the punch line?.

Spartacus
Username: Spartacus

Post Number: 73
Posted From: 209.114.251.65
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't have the energy to search for it, but I'm pretty sure he wrote another column defending Detroit in the past year or so.

He was a Free Press columnist in the early to mid 80's. I believe Mitch Albom replaced him when he left.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2349
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Could someone post his email addy? I thought I copied it but I must not have and now when I click on the link it's telling me to register in order to read the article.

I need to reply to the article so I can show my appreciation for that piece.

Wmuchris
Username: Wmuchris

Post Number: 151
Posted From: 69.51.137.10
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 6:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

mikedowney@tribune.com

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3102
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 6:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit has been getting better-than-expected national press coverage. A fair spin. Hopefully, this will mean something in the long run. Maybe, it will even be just the thing to instill civic pride in many of the current residents that don't have it, or at the very least plant the seed.

Douglasm
Username: Douglasm

Post Number: 474
Posted From: 66.189.188.28
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 7:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That was an excellent article. The problem Detroit's image is most folks who don't live in the Mid-West probably get their information in what they read in the paper, or see on TV.

A friend of mine asked me about the city, and I didn't know where to send him for good reliable information. Here? Definately not, what with all the whining about hotels being torn down and what is Mr. Pizza doing now. Where does one send someone for info?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6539
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

A friend of mine asked me about the city, and I didn't know where to send him for good reliable information

Couldn't you have just told him what he wanted to know?

Dag
Username: Dag

Post Number: 166
Posted From: 69.241.254.67
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Detroit Visitors and Convention Bureau is often a good place to start.

www.visitdetroit.com

The online version of the Free Press has an interactive map that will help him locate food, entertainment and parking downtown.

Make sure you add in your own views and special places, such as places in Mexicantown, Eastern Market, Pewabic and all of the other usual standby's that will not be the most publicized on maps.

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 627
Posted From: 69.14.76.187
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 9:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detroitsynergy.org/ projects/friendindetroit/index _html/view

We have a "Friend in Detroit" project for visitors where we've got a crew of people personally responding to emails and directing them to some stuff off the beaten path.

Bluehorseshoe
Username: Bluehorseshoe

Post Number: 335
Posted From: 69.137.221.125
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:11 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Bump. This is the best SBXL article I have read as of yet. I'm emailing the author right now.

Tielerh11
Username: Tielerh11

Post Number: 49
Posted From: 69.216.102.204
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:30 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Of course someone in chicago had something nice to say... with all our sprawl we'll be the same metro in a couple of years. Can we get a people mover line that connects with chicago's l train?

Realitycheck
Username: Realitycheck

Post Number: 235
Posted From: 68.41.173.240
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Downey also told the journalism trade mag Editor & Publisher: "I'm looking forward to being in Detroit."

That pub.'s site posted an article today with sportswriters' memories of the '82 SB in Pontiac on a snowy day . . .
. . . and did a fair job of noting that this year's site, downtown amenities and city's preparations assure a better experience.

The piece includes this, ahem, Reality Check . . . with the same "cold joke" Downey slams:

quote:

But don't expect the coverage to be a pro-Detroit love-fest no matter what happens. Sportswriters who are used to a week in the sun, where they can dress down, play golf, and leave the overcoat at home during the Super Bowl historically bash the hometown if weather problems erupt. Witness recent championship games in Atlanta and Jacksonville, where some non-beach weather brought critical reviews. "That's what writers do," Art Spander of The Oakland Tribune said matter-of-factly.

Add to that the two-week gap between the last playoff game and the title match, in which sportswriters need to fill space with preview stories, and anything related to the Super Bowl is fair game. Art Thiel of the Seattle Post-Intelligencer already launched the first Detroit-bashing salvo, noting this week that the big game was set there because "Baghdad, you may have read, was booked."

Full deal: http://www.mediainfo.com/eandp /news/article_display.jsp?vnu_ content_id=1001919919

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 312
Posted From: 35.11.158.84
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 3:26 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Away from Super Bowl glitz, many in Detroit live grim reality

By SARAH KARUSH
Associated Press Writer

DETROIT (AP) -- Before the kickoff of the Feb. 5 Super Bowl, private planes will land here, limousines will clog the streets, and lavish parties will be thrown for those with famous names or ample cash. The kitchens of Ford Field will be stocked with 2 tons of lobster.

But travel a few miles from the stadium in the nation's poorest big city and you'll be confronted with a different reality - a landscape dotted with burned-out buildings, where liquor stores abound but supermarkets are hard to come by, and where drugs, violence and unemployment color daily life.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/s tories/M/MI_SUPER_BOWL_TWO_DET ROITS_MIOL-?SITE=MIDTN&SECTION =HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

After all recent the good press you knew a negative article would come out, but it isn't really anything we haven't heard before or don't know about.

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2373
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah it doesnt surprise me that it comes from the DETROIT NEWS...

Pffft

Post Number: 754
Posted From: 71.144.119.50
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 1:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Associated Press is the Detroit News?

Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2375
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My bad that's an AP article? Hell firdt thing I saw when I clicked was the "Detroit News" up top...

Not too much different from what they will print or run regardless...

Pffft

Post Number: 755
Posted From: 71.144.119.50
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Might want to check what and who you're reading a little more closely.

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 646
Posted From: 172.139.156.39
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 10:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

WOW!!! I am so impressed with this article. It says everything that I want the world to know about Detroit! I am so pleased that I am going to email him and thank him for the article!

Irish_mafia
Username: Irish_mafia

Post Number: 324
Posted From: 69.221.79.80
Posted on Saturday, January 28, 2006 - 11:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

By SARAH KARUSH
Associated Press Writer

Who is this bitch and who invited her to our party?

Where does she live and what is her email address so that we can share our dire concern about the piece of crap city that she lives in?

(in case she lives in Detroit, we can provide Mapquest directions to.....)

Why is the Detroit News so inept as to provide the link to this? (I kinda know...but the reality is that if they want to be respected as a local paper, they should act like it or continue to watch their readership decline while we decide to spend our money elsewhere).

Lilpup
Username: Lilpup

Post Number: 823
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 12:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is the meanest I've seen so far - from an ex-Chicagoan, no less. I'd prefer his sour puss stay home in Colorado - nobody here will miss him.

So far I've seen far more good, honest stories than bad.

A lot of papers picked up this column from Milwaukee http://www.mercurynews.com/mld /mercurynews/sports/13737449.h tm

This columnist from Seattle has been writing honest stuff since here (nice shout out to Sweetwater Tavern) http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/football/257416_postcards28.html

Nice insight from Gary Danielson for the benefit of non-Detroiters in this NY Times article:
Super Bowl in Detroit: A Proud Town, a Once-Proud Team

He said visitors to the Super Bowl would discover "a city trying to do the right thing" despite its economic and social problems. He noted that although Detroiters would complain among themselves about local problems, including the Lions, they would turn sensitive when visitors made the same observations — the way siblings support one another when someone outside the family turns critical.

"We've been through a lot of rough stuff," Danielson said. "We're proud that our grandfathers and fathers and uncles worked in the car factories. We want to be recognized as tough, loyal people. You can see that in how we support football around the area, especially the Detroit Lions."

(Message edited by lilpup on January 28, 2006)

Citylover
Username: Citylover

Post Number: 1589
Posted From: 4.229.126.99
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 12:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Are you joking Irish mafia? The AP article was accurate and fair.........of course maybe those Detroiters quoted in the article are liars....

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 314
Posted From: 35.11.158.84
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 1:48 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Is their anything the guy from Denver didn't bitch about? That's so sterotypical it was funny

Another gem fron Michael Rosenburg: A Guide to Ripping Detroit.

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060128/SPO RTS1101/601280328

quote:

It's bad enough that, while other people get to work in factories and office buildings, you are stuck covering sports for a living. Add the indignity of a week in the nation's ninth-largest metropolitan area and, well, it's almost too much to bear.

Naturally, you will want to share your plight with your readers. The public's right to know shan't be limited to political corruption and corporate scandals; it extends to mini-bar inadequacy and the wait for a cab.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.