Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » YMCA, reviews?. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Boo
Username: Boo

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 63.117.185.99
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:42 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know that the YMCA opened downtown to much fanfare a couple months ago but I haven't heard much here on the forum since then. I have toured the building and am thinking about grabbing a membership soon (unfortunately I fall in the dreaded "single over 30" price range: $60!).

Is it too crowded to grab a machine in the evening? Is it too stuffy to breathe up near the jogging track (a la the WSU gym). How's the pool? Do you feel it is worth the dough? etc, etc... tx.

(Yes I know I could just try it but I thought I would get some insider scoop first)

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 168
Posted From: 68.77.160.147
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My wife and I have been members since they opened and we love it. It's a fantastic facility, and so far it's not too crowded either.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9807
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 11:57 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If you're looking for a fitness center, it ranks top notch. If you are looking for a good free weights gym, look elsewhere. I toured the place and found it not to be what I was looking for, too much money for too many things I wouldn't use.

Treelock
Username: Treelock

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 67.149.59.223
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's a beautiful buiding with huge windows providing a great view if you're using a treadmill or nautilus machine or climbing the rock wall (another plus). SS is right that the free weights room is kind of dreary and small, although that's not that big a deal to me (my muscles are already so huge!). Forgot to check out the pool but the track looks nice and also has a great view.

My wife and I are likely to eventually join despite the fact that I strongly object to the fact they don't have a sauna because we can get a cheaper rate than elsewhere. But what I'm wondering is, how's the parking situation? Especially in a.m.'s, before work.

Chris_rohn
Username: Chris_rohn

Post Number: 169
Posted From: 68.77.160.147
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Street parking on Broadway before 9am and after 4pm is plentiful, and the Opera House Garage across the street is 24/7, which I believe has discounted rates for YMCA members.

Alobar
Username: Alobar

Post Number: 105
Posted From: 198.208.251.21
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DBC also offers discounts to Y members!

A work out then a beer.

Brilliant!

Blondy
Username: Blondy

Post Number: 933
Posted From: 69.212.173.138
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 12:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I love it there. I usually go early afternoon, so I cannot comment on if it is super busy in the evenings, but the track is great, very open and airy. The pool is great, the locker rooms clean. The staff is friendly. I totally feel it is worth the money.

My ONLY complaint are the weekend hours. On Sundays, they are only open from 10 a.m. - 5 p.m. I would like it if they could extend these hours on both ends, and hopefully one day they will.

Neilr
Username: Neilr

Post Number: 179
Posted From: 69.242.215.65
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 1:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

One of the things I like best about the new Boll Family YMCA is the welcoming, encouraging attitude of the staff. They actually greet people. My questions have either been immediately answered or I have been put in contact with the person who had the answer.

When the Y opened and I joined, I looked at the 38 foot rock climbing wall with amazement and thought it was just the coolest thing. I did not expect that I ever would really be able to climb to the top. On my 1st attempt, I made it up about 18 inches. But I kept at it. After 5 weeks, with much encouragement, direction, and advice from Karew (sp?) and Bridgett (the Y's rock wall trainers), I made it all the way to the top! I could not have done it without them.

Treez4brkfst
Username: Treez4brkfst

Post Number: 96
Posted From: 68.21.61.1
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 1:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Y is a great facility to workout at. I use both cardio & free weights and find that all of my needs are accomodated. Yes, the free weight room is not the largest but if ya around sweaty dudes, ya around sweaty dudes. There are ample weights and staff with helpful advice on training.
There are more people around now than in Nov. when they first opened but I think the "resolutioners" will be falling off soon. If u know a member u can get a free workout in to test it. Try it out.

Bungholio
Username: Bungholio

Post Number: 5
Posted From: 65.123.68.93
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 2:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great place. The views and the layout just make you want to stay all day. The staff is beyond friendly. Everyone seems to be feeding off a great vibe.

Parking is usually available on the street in the early mornings when I go, but for the weekends the deal on the garage is the way to go.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1174
Posted From: 198.208.251.23
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Y is great! I agree with the free weight comments. Its not the largest selection but it has almost everything most people will need. I can only think of one or two things that would be nice to have.

All group classes are included in your membership. So you can yoga, pilate, kick box, spin.

And its addition to downtown is good feng shui. It brings movement and energy to downtown. People in the people mover can't help but lean to one side of the PM to peak inside at all the activity. There are people on the streets nearby. And you can see bodies active from almost all perspectives.

I still think the building is ugly though. And it could use a few more drinking fountains.

Aholloway
Username: Aholloway

Post Number: 82
Posted From: 68.40.178.10
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 3:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What is the charge for non-members to use the facility, and does the charge include rock climbing?

Panson
Username: Panson

Post Number: 775
Posted From: 198.45.19.20
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go after work around 7ish. I've never had to wait for anything. Cardio machines are plentiful. Great building, very good service, excellent gym.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 355
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Thursday, January 26, 2006 - 4:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm sure its all great at the new YMCA - but what about the beautiful historic building and pool now abandoned and decaying on Clark St. in SW Detroit. There is a huge need for a Y there but the Y walked away and now the building is being vandalized and ruined.

Username: 1953

Post Number: 669
Posted From: 65.54.155.55
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 12:24 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I go everyday and I absolutely love it. Mostly I just use the track and a few scattered machines, but there is something for everyone, unless you are only into snow sports. In that case, you have to go outside.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.