Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » The "CW" Network. Comming soon to your T.V. set near you. « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3661
Posted From: 207.74.110.184
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 8:23 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The 2 struggling networks UPN and WB will combined into a new supernetwork called the CW. Here in Detroit UPN 50 will become the CW network while WB 20 will be no longer on the air. WDWB 20 will run as a independent station as it was before 1995. Will the new "CW" network out beat FOX, NBC, and CBS? Post your views.

Publicmsu
Username: Publicmsu

Post Number: 563
Posted From: 136.182.2.221
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Only if Moesha is on during prime time.

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 420
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

bump

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 148.61.248.29
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 12:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what does CW stand for?

I used to watch Star Trek on UPN, but other than that I don't watch either stations much at all. I used to watch saturday morning cartoons on WB, but that was a while ago. Sometimes I'll watch a Fraiser re-run on UPN.

I think the merge is good if it means better programing.

Also, in the next few years all of the tv stations chanels are getting re-ordered. I don't remember the details, but for example, chanel 7 won't be channel 7, they'd be, say chanel 23 or something like that. What'll happen is everyone will loose their number, and then the numbers will be sold back, and whoever is the highest bidder gets it I think. I don't remember everything about it, but I think that's the jist of it.

The reason is because unpopular stations are getting the low numbers, which are prime real estate.

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 750
Posted From: 63.41.8.169
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

what does CW stand for?

The real answer is Columbia/Warner. Others have said it stands for Carrier Wave, for all you radio people.

The one I prefer is Crap Weasel, it covers both the programming and the TV execs.

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 246
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 1:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jason, you have it wrong about the frequencies. This is what I believe to be true; as always, corrections and additions/clarifications are cheerfully welcomed:

When HDTV becomes the standard (which looks like it will be sometime in 2009, I think), all the existing UHF (14-69) and VHF (2-13 stations will become obsolete.

The government will then auction off the old frequencies for other purposes, with aome form of wireless communication the mostt likely use.

In the process, the government will earn billions of dollars.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1603
Posted From: 129.9.163.105
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 3:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

More than you really wanted to know about Analog and digital TV channel allocation.

TV channels have traditionally been allocated frequencies in two bands. VHF (Channels 2-13) and UHF (channels 14-69). TV channels are the sequential numbering of 6 MHZ Frequency bands.

When the new digital channels were allocated they were interspersed among the current analog channels. All Detroit Digital channels were allocated in the UHF band.

In 2009 the current analog channels will be abandoned. You will need a ditgital tuner to acces TV over the air. All the Digital channels will be grouped in the frequencies currently corresponding to channels 7-13 and 14-59. This will allow compression of the total bandwidth used by terrestrial TV. The frequencies corresponding to channels 1-6 and 60-69 will be auctioned off for other uses. I think 60-69 may have already been auctioned off. They are just waiting for the shutdown of the analog channels to reclaim this bandwidth.

Since channel numbering is an arbitrary designation of a specified bandwidth, All stations will retain their current numbering. Analog channel 7 is still channel 7. (Broadcast on the frequesncy band 174Mhz-180Mhz) The digital version of channel 7 is designated as channel 7-1 DT. It is broadcast on the Bandwidth actually designated for analog channel 41. (632-638Mhz)

Since digital tv is capable of broadcasting multiple video streams in a single analog channel bandwidth there is also a channel 7-2 DT broadcasting channel 7's weather radar, and 7-3 DT broacasting a picture from channels 7's antenna camera.

PBS is broadcasting an entire second set of programs on their digital sub channels. They had the main PBS feed on channel 56-1 and a commedy on channel 56-2.

The channel numbers are remapped by the computer in the Digital tuner. This is all transparent to the end user.

TV stations prefer VHF frequencies since they require less power to get the same coverage area. (It's physics that dictates this.)

Vic_doucette
Username: Vic_doucette

Post Number: 248
Posted From: 65.196.220.198
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 4:28 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NDavies, you explained that far better than I did.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3665
Posted From: 207.74.110.184
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 5:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The CW is a supernetwork joined together by WB and UPN. Due to lower ratings. The New CW supernetwork will have a mixture of UPN and WB shows along with new other show comming this fall. In the meantime WDWB 20 will be back to its independent station.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 937
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 2:17 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

stolen from another forum:
CW means
Can't Watch Network
Called What?
Can't Win
Crap Workz
Cancelled? Why?
Cash Wasted
Completely Worthless Network
Cable, here We come
Cold Wasteland
Cringe & Weep
Collecting Welfare Network

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 140
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Friday, January 27, 2006 - 6:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

CW traditionally was known as continuous wave for close to a hundred years- which was keyed in International-Morse code. Otherwise known as radio-telegraphy or A1 emission.

dih-dah-dih-dah-dit dih-dih-dih-dah-dih-dah

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.