Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Interstate Traveler Presentation « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Tetsua
Username: Tetsua

Post Number: 476
Posted From: 69.246.5.196
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 1:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I just got word from the founder / lead engineer that there will be a hearing with the CoD on January 31st 2006 at 1pm in the Committee Room on the 13th Floor of the Coleman A. Young Municipal Center. I'm not sure what will be covered, but I think this is definately a positive step towards mass transit.

www.interstatetraveler.us

Danindc
Username: Danindc

Post Number: 1187
Posted From: 67.100.158.10
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This should be good. We all remember what happened the last time Detroit embraced new transit technology.

Tetsua

Post Number: 477
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 1:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I should also add several of the suburban city councils (along Woodward) have already approved plans to build a starter line going as far as Birmingham.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9793
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 2:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I would love to see this happen. I drop in on that site now and then to see whether they have anything new. Sounds like a very interesting conept, and if I recall, it would be privately funded.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 17
Posted From: 68.61.161.39
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 3:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's an exciting idea, but this website is pretty goofy. It's very hard to take seriously due to its presentation.

Gdub
Username: Gdub

Post Number: 962
Posted From: 68.248.15.192
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, those silly animated gifs have got to go. Could be a really good looking site with some polisihing.

Sumotect
Username: Sumotect

Post Number: 155
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Two Words:

SCIENCE FICTION

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 782
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 4:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

thank you sumotect.

Its a cool idea for a city with no existing infastructure....unforutunately (for interstate traveller) those are hard to come by

(Message edited by gravitymachine on January 24, 2006)

Sharmaal
Username: Sharmaal

Post Number: 616
Posted From: 136.2.1.103
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 4:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

MONORAIL! MONORAIL! MONORAIL! MONORAIL!

Danindc

Post Number: 1188
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 4:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

All this thing does is duplicate existing infrastructure with unproven technology. If there were a working mockup somewhere, I might be convinced otherwise. Until then, the premise is downright ridiculous.

I can't even believe anyone is taking this seriously.

L_b_patterson
Username: L_b_patterson

Post Number: 280
Posted From: 70.229.198.58
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 5:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Danindc: Correct me if i'm wrong: but don't the feds kick in more money for construction of demonstration projects? Any for maintenance? (i smell a Cleveland RTA sales tax) This seemingly would be a demonstration....

Hornwrecker
Username: Hornwrecker

Post Number: 747
Posted From: 66.2.148.214
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 5:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Aren't we all supposed to have flying cars by now?

Jasoncw
Username: Jasoncw

Post Number: 91
Posted From: 148.61.248.29
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 5:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The website is absolutely horrible. Any profesional group wouldn't put that on the web.

and most of the illustrations are goofy sci-fi things, and then there's the "My Sketches" part of it that looks like the entire project is just what some kid thought up while not paying attention in math class or something.

Maybe this is just so that the politicians can say they've considered mass transit while still being able to easily reject it.

But if it'll work, and the company can do it, and we get a nice mass transit system, then I'm happy. It would be best to establish a mass transit system now, before the oil runs out.

Eventually we're going to be forced to have mass transit, and to be honest, I think that would be good for american city planning and society in general. No cars! Less pollution! More money to spend on things other than cars, gasoline, and their concequences! But yea, mass transit is going to happen in not too long no matter what. Unless people start driving horses to work or something.

Upinottawa
Username: Upinottawa

Post Number: 148
Posted From: 198.103.184.76
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 5:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit (and its burbs) needs rapid transit. However, is this project serious? Detroit was one of a few communities that bought into the People Mover technology -- does the area really want to be the first to adopt something like this?

Have other cities expressed interest? If not, then why not?

The private car option sounds bizarre.

Danindc

Post Number: 1189
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LBP,

The FTA typically doesn't pony up money for operational costs of transit systems. They will provide a match for capital funding, though, typically 50% these days (although it used to be 80%). Whether or not demonstration projects receive more money than New Starts projects, I couldn't tell you off-hand.

I just don't think this company should be trying to sell technology when no one knows if it actually works. It's called "R&D", ya know?

The engineer in me also asks, "Contractors already know how to build highways and railroads. Which contractors are qualified to build this technology?"

Udmphikapbob
Username: Udmphikapbob

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 206.81.45.34
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 5:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haven't y'all seen the digital signs on 96?

PEOPLE MOVER SERVES DOWNTOWN DETROIT

those signs sure are money well spent...

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1598
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 6:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The private car option sounds bizarre.

It sounds bizarre until you take into account the fact that they expect these trains to be capable of doing 200 MPH. If you could put your car on a train and have it in florida in 5 hours, it then makes sense.

Sumotect

Post Number: 156
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 6:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have heard that NASA has an RFP out for a navigation system for "flying cars". Evidently it works somehow with microjet technology (similar to cruise missles).

If that happens, look out, you thing sprawl is bad now?

The rich will be overhead and us poor bastards down here, bumper to bumper on 696.

Danindc

Post Number: 1190
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 6:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

It sounds bizarre until you take into account the fact that they expect these trains to be capable of doing 200 MPH. If you could put your car on a train and have it in florida in 5 hours, it then makes sense.

So if this is going to allow vehicles to travel at 200 mph, how does the system work within urban areas? And don't we already have technology that allows people to travel at 200 mph on the ground (TGV)?

Has anyone figured out merges, acceleration, things like that? I haven't seen any performance indicators on the website, but maybe I wasn't looking in the right place.

Ndavies
Username: Ndavies

Post Number: 1600
Posted From: 129.9.163.234
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 6:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look in the FAQ's section. Most of those questions have been asked. Some of the answers are still very fuzzy.

Hunchentoot
Username: Hunchentoot

Post Number: 18
Posted From: 69.14.75.150
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 7:07 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look at the first image in the illustration section:

http://www.interstatetraveler. us/Maglev-PassengerCar_8x5.jpg

Apparently if you sit at the front of the car, not only do you face away from the window, but you have to cram yourself into a V shape because of the glass.

Mbr
Username: Mbr

Post Number: 26
Posted From: 216.144.206.2
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Sounds like something the brainwashed guy at the Lyndon LaRouche table was telling me about

Sumotect

Post Number: 158
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 7:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Now this is sweet

spacecoupe

"THE NATION THAT CONTROLS MAGNETISM, CONTROLS THE WORLD!"

Tetsua

Post Number: 480
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 2:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

How much room is available in the Committee Room?

Urbanator
Username: Urbanator

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 69.14.166.158
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 1:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

We all win if Traveler's presentation get's people talking about transit in SE Michigan.

"Meet George Jetson" Traveler's hydroway doesn't sound or look like anything ready to be taken seriously.

A Woodward starter line or demonstration project from Downtown to B'ham? Why? Woodward already has reliable bus service. What am I missing? Can't shake the image of a Woodward "People Mover" turning more people off than on to regional transit.

Tetsua

Post Number: 490
Posted on Sunday, January 29, 2006 - 2:32 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There is nothing really "new" to the IT project except for the intergration of hydrogen technology. Maglevs have been in Europe, and Asia for years, however they draw SO much current that it wouldn't be feasible to do this for small distances (rapid tranit). If this system is able to utilize hydrogen technology (And not rely on power from the electrical grid itself), there is no reason that it shouldn't be built.

quote:

A Woodward starter line or demonstration project from Downtown to B'ham? Why? Woodward already has reliable bus service.

I never thought I could find anyone who would pass up a bus, when they could take the train to Birmingham.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.