Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Stolen Car Dropped in front of my house.... « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Viziondetroit
Username: Viziondetroit

Post Number: 335
Posted From: 68.42.176.190
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:33 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am not sure if this is the right place on this forum, but I came out to take my son to school and found this Chrysler Pacifica in front of my house. I thought the person had a flat until I drove past the house and saw the window busted and wheels gone.

NOTE: If you put a club on your car make sure the club is extended all the way to the window, this person was not so lucky!

I called the 11th (Northeastern District) and let them know where it was. Michigan plates YXG32

stolen
stolen
stolen

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1489
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So that is where I parked last night. I had few to many, what block is that again I will pick it up after work.

The good part is I remember to put the club on.

Evelethcdenver
Username: Evelethcdenver

Post Number: 88
Posted From: 71.211.141.143
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I hope that the people at the club do not decide to use these pictures in their next advertising campaign.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 352
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:47 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Last February I had a brake lock on my Chrysler - but someone broke the door lock and also broke the ignition before a neighbor scared them off. I can't understand why. They had to see the brake lock before they went for the ignition. It would have been in the way. What did they hope to get? Not the car, certainly. Anyway, I got a big red steering wheel lock and I haven't had any trouble since. But I will be more careful to put the bar right up to window from now on.

In the photo of the steering wheel above, it looks like the driver couldn't have gotten very far - and must have known it. So all the effort was for tires? The owner of that car can't be very far from Viziondetroit's house.

Jltyler
Username: Jltyler

Post Number: 214
Posted From: 69.212.55.166
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Looks like someone scared them off before they could get all the tires. Its not like that thing had 20's on it those are stock rims.

Bvos
Username: Bvos

Post Number: 1160
Posted From: 66.238.170.31
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:10 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even the stock rims are worth a lot on the black market. If you have rims on your car, be sure to invest in a set of wheel locks. They're about $12-$25 for a set and can be bought at Murrays, the dealer (for a nice set to match your existing lugnuts), etc. A $25 investment upfront is a lot cheaper than paying $200+ per rim plus the cost of tires after they've been stolen.

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 336
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went outside a lil while ago as I saw the flatbed come get it and the owner was out there. She said that she heard them @ 5am. the broke in the car, broke the center console where the shift was and pushed it down to my house and stole the tires. They did not take anything out of the car, just the factory wheels. I've never seen the car before but she lives down the street from me under the street light.

The real impressive thing was looking at the flatbed guy pic the car up on the bed without the Pacifica moving @ all. The car didnt fall either nor become even more damaged and as you can see the wheels were only on one side of the car. I am sure the guy has had some practice in Detroit recovering stolen cars.

The lady said she scared them off after they saw them down by my house with the car.

Johnnny5
Username: Johnnny5

Post Number: 137
Posted From: 71.227.95.4
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kind of strange that they only too ktwo of the rims and left their jack??? Must have been seen by someone.

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9786
Posted From: 64.118.137.228
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had a Liberty dropped in front of mine a few weeks ago.

Lghart
Username: Lghart

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 64.25.16.100
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Had my rental car wheels taken on January 12th when in town, right in front of my house, that said I've had this happen in Ann Arbor and Manhattan as well, not just is Detroit.

Errrggghhh!

Gravitymachine
Username: Gravitymachine

Post Number: 777
Posted From: 198.208.159.18
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

you people need to discover the theft-free leisure of owning a 10-15 year old foreign car with steel wheels and manual transmission. :-)

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1003
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

even 2 rims is worth more than the jack....

SHIT I live in Utica, and have had my carbroken into and shit stolen out of it.... 3 seperate times. My girlfriend had her rims stolen in my driveway as well... So have plenty of my neighbors... which threw out my immediate theory of being someone I knew (out here thats the more likely case, since its harder to make down the street with a bunch of rims)...

Anyone think about going to radio shack and getting those cameras that tap into your computer??? Several stores have them where you can log each camera by 15 minutes, all the way up to a month.

Set that up with a motion sensor floodlight....

If they REALLY want something, even that wouldnt stop them... but the floodlight would probably wake me up... as it did in front of my house one night after I installed it... I rushed out with my baseball bat in hand but I only saw a truck speeding away... too far to get plate numbers, but I didnt recognize the truck.. so i didnt get anywhere.

Im still looking to move to the city in the near future and I am still looking at several places on the Eastside. Theft is a major concern to me since I work out of my home and have several thousands of dollars worth of tools that I use for work. My friend recently had his roofing van (and about 15,000$ worth of tools) stolen from his driveway about a month ago... and he also lives in Utica. A week later another friends van was stolen from the Seal Tight roofing yard (my friends company) with about the same amount of tools.

My point is pieces of shit are everywhere, and they DEFINATLY are not limated to the city.

BTW, against popular thinking, the cops are JUST as useless out here as they are in the city when your tools go floating out of your yard.. The secondtime my windows were busted out they didnt even stop by to make a police report. In Detroit I understand they have better things to do and you are somewhat on your own... But out here you are very likely to get pulled over later on that day for going 5 over on M-53.

My buddy built a pretty good security system for his house that has motion sensors that trip if a window or door is broken into, that immediatly turns on all house lights, and makes them blink on and off.... alerting his neighbors... as well as calls his cellphone.

Anyone else have any bright Ideas?

The city is more difficult as lighting is more sporatic and you dont have to drive very far to dump a stolen car.

Southwestmap
Username: Southwestmap

Post Number: 353
Posted From: 64.79.90.206
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I have an alarm systen that sets off a loud horn on my roof if the perimeter is breached. Motion lights in the back yard and a steel door in the back. Window screws that prevent the windows from being jacked up more than a couple of inches. I had a dog until recently but he ate that Diamond brand dog food and he had to be euthanized.

Twice in 2003 somebody tried to get in my house when I was sleeping. The first time they jacked up a kitchen window and the second time they beat in the back door and came in while I was leaving by the front door. So I upgraded the security.

I wonder about cameras. Can't they be defeated just by wearing a mask?

Stipes
Username: Stipes

Post Number: 27
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 2:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can be South,,seems like if a person wanna take pics. they shouldnt wear them,,,kinda get in the way..Oh,,Merchantgander,,that dent on the pass. side,,someone ran over my pitbull and it was like the disc. of your car wit a big dent on the pass. side,,and the club waving around..I'll talk to your butt later...LOL!!

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 656
Posted From: 69.212.62.92
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

my stickshift never gets stolen. Ghetto thieves can't drive stickshifts.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 685
Posted From: 4.229.69.250
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Text description

Found this one this morning at about 6am in front of St John across from the Fox. Broken window, no ignition, emergencies still flashing, engine running. Called the non-emergency number, uh...When was that disconnected ? Anyway, waved down a copcar and pointed it out. They hauled it away a few minutes later.

Anyone missing this car ? DPD has it.

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 81
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 9:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

wow..I didn't know that early 90's dodge shadows were a high priority for theves...haha

Viziondetroit

Post Number: 337
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I know someone who's '91 Acclaim was stolen only to commit other crimes and be arrested by the cops. So they didn't really need the car, just a means to get to another scene..

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 744
Posted From: 69.221.92.217
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:54 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Then, this befuddles me ...why does the thief leave this perfectly good Dodge Shadow, with engine running and wheels intact?

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1007
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 2:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

must have been chased or seen

31ford
Username: 31ford

Post Number: 269
Posted From: 152.163.100.8
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 2:56 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The club isn't the great for modern cars. All a thief has to do is - well I'm not gonna put it here, just in case it's not well known.
It's nice to have a 50 yr old steering wheel that a hacksaw won't even cut thru. Not to mention no column mounted ignition switch.
I've recovered alot of stolen cars in my line of work. Car theft is common all over not just Detroit!

Courtney
Username: Courtney

Post Number: 92
Posted From: 69.221.68.87
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 11:51 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

FWIW, while loud roof sirens/steel doors usually deter the idiot kids from trying to break in, if they want to get in, they will.

Last Christmas someone broke in and managed to get in and out before the alarms went off after the internal motion sensors detected motion - 30 seconds. They managed to avoid breaking the window and avoid setting off the window movement sensors in the *front* window.

It made things a lot better to know that the idiot who did it only got a $25 dvd player that was set to PAL when it was stolen. Too bad they left the remote, which was the only way to change it back to NTSC.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.