Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Detroit Polishes, and Demolishes, for the Super Bowl « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5396
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:16 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT, Jan. 21 - Mayor Kwame M. Kilpatrick is so determined to show Super Bowl visitors a new face for his beleaguered city that he is willing to sacrifice its Motown roots.

This week, wrecking crews began taking down the long-abandoned office building that was home to Motown Records from 1968 to 1972.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/01 /22/national/22detroit.html?hp &ex=1137992400&en=449a0f0ad77c ca83&ei=5094&partner=homepage

Knocturnal
Username: Knocturnal

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 24.176.50.206
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Better than Chicago? Kwame keeps frontin' like this and Kanye is going to cancel his appearance...please...

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 719
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As much as I admired the old buildings in Detroit and i am sad to see them torn down, I am happy that an initiative has been taken to look ahead for Detroits future.

It is very hard to let these buildings come down, yes, but we have to save what can be saved and say goodbye to what can't. What we are seeing here in Detroit is Urban renewal at its best evne while times are har.

We all have to be more active in saving these building and tell the city government what WE want.

As far as the article is concerned, Motown was in the building 4 years. i think the real history of Motown lies in Hitsville on the W Grand, not to mention the history making Detroit concert tours which include St. Stephens AME church, the gymasium concerts at Northwestern HS and the 100's of jam session in basements all around Detroit. Thats Motown to me. I guess I am a leaning toward this side of Motown because I have grown to know that my family was a part of it. My uncle used to write a lot of music in his days and although he wanted no recognition from it he still has his stories to tell to this day.

Huggybear
Username: Huggybear

Post Number: 135
Posted From: 68.79.97.128
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 11:54 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Say what you want about the merits of demolishing vs. not on a historical basis, it's all perception. And this article is extremely damaging in how it perceives and expresses Superbowl preparations. The city should have waited three weeks before allowing those buildings to be knocked down.

Broken_main

Post Number: 722
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 12:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I do wonder how many dust related emergencies we will be having with the residents of Woodward Place at Brush Park.

After work last night I drove by and saw an incredible amount of dust on I-75 at about 12 midnight

Broken_main

Post Number: 725
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 12:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

This is in conjunction with what i stated in an above post.

quote:

But the reality is that very few -- probably none -- of the crumbling buildings can be saved without a heavy investment of public dollars.

Detroit has to make tough choices. It must be brutally honest about the buildings that are viable for restoration and willing to sacrifice the rest to the wrecking ball, even ones as sentimentally significant as the Book-Cadillac.

If a redevelopment project can find no takers even with taxpayers picking up two-thirds of the risk, it should be a solid clue that the building has no future.

And Detroit has no future as an urban ruin, an architectural museum devoted to deteriorating hulks. Preservationists have to recognize that Detroit must target its resources to achieve the maximum impact -- it just can't save everything.

Spare the buildings that make economic sense, tear down the ones that don't and get busy refilling downtown with structures that will help create a new heyday for Detroit

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060122/O PINION03/601220331/1271

Supersport
Username: Supersport

Post Number: 9783
Posted From: 69.246.37.236
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 12:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Wow, another article more focused on the bad instead of the good, how surprising. Didn't see any mention of Campus Martius in there, nor the riverfront development. How about the state of the art YMCA? How about the gorgeos Belle Isle which is larger than New York's Central Park, that doesn't warrant a mention? Typical article by an out of town paper looking to beat up on Detroit. Oh yeah, what is this long, long history of sprucing the city up for a big event? Aside from the Republican National convention, what else was there? Everything done for the All Star game and SuperBowl, such as roads, sidewalks, lighting, and redeveloped buildings will be here long after the game is over.

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2002
Posted From: 69.246.4.29
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 2:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I didn't realize BC Building was in trouble again? This is so frustrating it is a beautiful structure. I am not that upset over the Motown Building...I thought it was an eyesore and what development could go there? I am not sure anyone would want a condo right there next to the highway. However, with that said I would prefer to see something done there than a parking lot.

Shark
Username: Shark

Post Number: 176
Posted From: 68.77.110.79
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 3:12 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The mayor said he could no longer tolerate the marred façade, broken windows and empty corridors of the building. "I just couldn't take it anymore," he said in an interview.

I love that.

Broken_main

Post Number: 731
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 3:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Classic, isn't it???

ild...the BC is the grandest building in Downtown agreed? Why don't we buy it??? :-)

Pffft
Username: Pffft

Post Number: 727
Posted From: 69.221.92.217
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 3:50 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Mickie Maynard is notoriously negative about Detroit. Keep that in mind when you see her byline.

Blessyouboys
Username: Blessyouboys

Post Number: 237
Posted From: 69.209.185.165
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 4:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

this is on the front page of nytimes.com, sheeesh

Broken_main

Post Number: 733
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 5:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I can't believe they have to "tutor" people to say nice things about Detroit. I think we should start a new thread just saying nice things about Detroit. Anyone interested??

Rustic
Username: Rustic

Post Number: 1962
Posted From: 130.132.177.245
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 5:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Other than muddling the Lions owner with the Ford CEO (yikes! kinda a scary thought juxtaposing those two orgs ...) were there any other errors in the article?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6500
Posted From: 66.2.148.99
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 5:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

I can't believe they have to "tutor" people to say nice things about Detroit

Seems logical since SE Michigan bashes Detroit more than anyone else in the world.

Dougw
Username: Dougw

Post Number: 947
Posted From: 68.249.8.75
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 1:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

A mediocre article at best... yes, some of the Woodward storefronts are temporarily cleaned up, but there's no mention of some of the real progress that has been made. (Somewhat surprising, as other NYTimes articles about Detroit in the last couple years have been pretty good.)

The_aram
Username: The_aram

Post Number: 4646
Posted From: 141.213.175.233
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 2:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

am not sure anyone would want a condo right there next to the highway.

Look directly across Woodward from the Donovan site. Seems like the Crosswinds folks don't really care all that much about living near the highway...

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3066
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 2:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame wanted to bluff with tearing down Donovan/Sanders hoping the media would be kind, and got called on his bluff. This is what happens when you take people for fools. Even the outside media is saying that it would have been better to keep up some of these structures for reuse than demolishing them in hopes of fooling people into thinking that ALL demolition means progress.

This is what happens when you try and make people believe that "progress" is tearing down a few dilapidated buildings for visitors.

Kwame, you've been punk'd. You can't see the forest for the trees.

Fury13
Username: Fury13

Post Number: 825
Posted From: 69.14.122.204
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:06 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

..."It's better than Chicago or Philadelphia..."

What the hell was he thinking when he said that?

Please.

He could have said, "We think that, in its own way, Detroit has as much to offer as Chicago or Philadelphia..."

But to make the unequivocal statement that he made... it's ridiculous. Detroit needs to get over its envy and perceived competition with other cities, because if you look at it objectively and unemotionally (in other words, as if Detroit ISN'T your home town), the D doesn't stack up. Sorry.

Northend
Username: Northend

Post Number: 643
Posted From: 69.212.62.92
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit and its residents have had 30 years to get off their overweight booties and let their entrepreneurship save this city. If half the energy spent on admiring these old buildings was spent on concrete and constructive (no pun intended) actions, we would not be bothered by the "excessive dust" resulting from the demolition of said buildings.
Either the average Detroiter (definitely not on this forum) doesn't give a flying you know what about the city or all the enthusiastic kinda people of the "Vinton Style Project" thread have been AWOL.
Time to get your asthma inhalers b/c at this rate there may be way more dust coming our way

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1164
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 4:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can Detroit still be called "Motown" when practically nothing of Motowns legacy remains outside of a small house on Grand Blvd? Los Angeles is more deserving of the title than Detroit.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2194
Posted From: 12.75.22.100
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 5:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Other than muddling the Lions owner with the Ford CEO (yikes! kinda a scary thought juxtaposing those two orgs ...) were there any other errors in the article?

quote:

For one thing, there are no brand-name luxury hotels, meaning high rollers will stay at the Ritz-Carlton in Dearborn, 15 miles away, or at the Townsend, a boutique hotel in Birmingham, 30 miles from the city center.

They should have used minutes, not miles.

Track75
Username: Track75

Post Number: 2195
Posted From: 12.75.22.100
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 5:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That said, the article wasn't that bad. It's not like visitors wouldn't have noticed any abandoned buildings but for the article in the NYT. There's been other NYT pieces that focused on the improvements.

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3068
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 5:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gogo, Detroit is still the historical Motown, and for that, the city should be proud. But, Motown, today, is NOTHING to brag about. Aren't they part of Universal now, putting out less and mediocre music with few exceptions? Barry Gordy in the antithesis of a greedy businessman if you never saw one.

Mauser765
Username: Mauser765

Post Number: 686
Posted From: 4.229.69.250
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 5:39 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

"Barry Gordy in the antithesis of a greedy businessman if you never saw one."

Translation ?

Matt_the_deuce
Username: Matt_the_deuce

Post Number: 453
Posted From: 69.14.248.252
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:03 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don't credit the players on the records, don't let them play with anyone else, pay them minimal wages, then leave Detroit and don't give anything back. Barry Gordy was very shrewd, and that's the nicest way anyone could ever put it.

Hmm...

Lmichigan

Post Number: 3072
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I meant to say "if you EVER saw one." It's an overused cliche. :-) I hope that's what you were asking about, Mauser. He turned his back on Detroit, and never looked back, and I feel couldn't have cared less about Motown Center/Donovan-Sanders, when he could have easily spoken up on its behalf even if he didn't have majority (or any) ownership. He could have commanded a lot of respect with a simple phone interview with the Free Press or News asking for this structure to be saved. Nothing.

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 250
Posted From: 70.228.3.58
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 10:56 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

No, I think Mauser wants know if you know what 'antithesis' means.

Urban_shocker
Username: Urban_shocker

Post Number: 251
Posted From: 70.228.3.58
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:00 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Even with the mentioned gaffes (the Ford one the worst), I didn't find the article to be poor or unfair. Micheline Maynard is the Times' Det correspondent, so I bet she's aware of things like C-Mart and the riverfront. Just like it wasn't her job to mention every vacant building, I don't think she was obligated to create a laundry list of new developments either.

Bibs
Username: Bibs

Post Number: 439
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 12:20 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Since there seems to be an award for everything these days. How about handing out an award to the most negative or ignorant article about Detroit? We could call it, "The Diss'n D Award" or "The Detroit Award." How the top ten worst articles?

Damon
Username: Damon

Post Number: 645
Posted From: 141.215.16.132
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 1:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Kwame said Detroit was better than Chicago and Philly to the New York Times??! WTF WAS HE THINKING!? I knew Carolyn dropped him on his head when he was a kid, but this is ridiculous!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.