Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Bloomfield Hills residents want nicer high schools « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2292
Posted From: 199.74.87.131
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 6:40 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gee, and you think the high schools in Detroit and the surrounding suburbs are in great condition???
-------------
BLOOMFIELD HILLS -- Ingrid Day does not flinch when describing the high school facilities in Bloomfield Hills: Antiquated, dull and built for a 1950s-style of teaching.

"Andover High School is not a warm, inviting place," said Day, who has a 10th-grader there and an eighth-grader at Bloomfield Hills Middle School.

"When you pull up in front of the building, you can't even tell where the main door is. I would like our school buildings to match the brilliance and integrity of the administrators and teaching staff inside.

"The fact of the matter is, kids learn in a multitude of ways, and some won't learn sitting in a little cement box."

Administrators for the Bloomfield Hills school board agree. That's why they will be holding a study session next month to discuss the future of Andover and Lahser high schools, which are 51 and 39 years old, respectively.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060122/M ETRO02/601220363/1009

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 79
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 9:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

haha..hey, they have the money to do something about it..

Mackinaw
Username: Mackinaw

Post Number: 1152
Posted From: 141.213.173.94
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 12:48 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, schools built in the 50s-60s tend to suck. They'll have to approve a huge bond to build entirely new, though. They're probably envious of these newest of new schools way out there that have all the best athletic facilities and fancy mall-like food courts, except their food court would have to look like Somerset's.

Or they could just move into the GP South district. Problem solved.

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 213
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 2:45 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hmmm. Let's see if I can hijack this thread....what is your high school alma mater?

Detroit Mackenzie here. Loved it.

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 729
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 3:04 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I agree, enuff with the suburban high schools..ya know the ones with the waterfalls and fountains and the massive exerxcise rooms.

Cass Tech all the way...1983

BTW...Mackenzie was my neighborhood HS, Ray...still is

Kova
Username: Kova

Post Number: 173
Posted From: 141.213.184.173
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 4:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey mackenzie Jerome Bettis alma mater also

Ptero
Username: Ptero

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 141.210.49.0
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 4:20 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

the best... Cass Tech '71

Broken_main
Username: Broken_main

Post Number: 735
Posted From: 69.222.11.226
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 5:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

My mother taught at and retired form Mackenzie

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6501
Posted From: 66.2.148.99
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 5:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Can you blame them. Nothing wrong with parents wanting better for their kids. If they are willing to fund it then more power to them.

Patrick
Username: Patrick

Post Number: 3194
Posted From: 68.251.24.58
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Don’t expect a replica of GPS to be built. I cannot see anything new being built I can however see the schools totally redone. Take a look at what Warren Con did to their three high schools. Now they are totally state of the art.

Danny
Username: Danny

Post Number: 3654
Posted From: 207.74.110.156
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 6:11 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

If those folks really a snobby style brand new high school. Go for it they have the money, but they want us poor folks outside of Bloomfield TWP. pay for it.

Alexei289
Username: Alexei289

Post Number: 1000
Posted From: 68.61.183.223
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 6:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Utica HS...

THat place was built in the 50s on top of a nuclear bomb shelter. Trust me, that place has the charm of a parking lot... and they have no money to improve... yet i made it... Even in the second largest district in the state didnt have enough money to do anything about it. The lockers were rusted, the pool wasnt regulation size, and the heater was tied to the boiler system... so the pool was ALWAYS 98* The roof leaked, the carpet stunk like shit...

I dealt with it... Fuk them... If they want it, they gotta pay for it... but for this to be news sickens me... because almost nobody else is so lucky.

I think if they want nicer looking schools, whats wrong with going to a nicer school?

BTW most of the districts that have those mega complexes with all the athletic facilities, tacobells and Mcdonalds in the food court (my school had ONE food line, and we were served the same food they serve in the MCJ (been there, litereally)) are damn near bankrupt....

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 78
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 6:53 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei289, I escaped Utica HS in 1972. Have you ever explored the tunnels under there? I miss their Hungarian goulash.

Lmichigan
Username: Lmichigan

Post Number: 3057
Posted From: 67.172.95.197
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 7:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I don't get this. I echo Jt1 exactly. Who are we to laugh at someone wanting to update their school buildings?

Ericdfan
Username: Ericdfan

Post Number: 80
Posted From: 68.41.117.60
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 8:43 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I went to Detroit World Outreach Christian Academy/Fairlane Christian in Dearborn Heights. You want to talk about a building that was in bad shape, that was it. None of the drinking fountains worked, the roof leaked, broken windows...the whole 9 yards. The building was built in 1942, but it had 7 additions on it when we inhabited it...It started out as a humble 8 room schoolhouse...crazy

Those tunnels sound familiar...DWOCA/Fairlane had them, too. Nobody went into them tho cause they were filled with asbestos..

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2293
Posted From: 199.74.87.131
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:15 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ericfan, just like most urban school districts such as Detroit have old school buildings nearly 100+ years old filled with asbestos. Yet families in Detroit cannot afford to have improved and updated facilities in their neighborhoods.

Psip
Username: Psip

Post Number: 902
Posted From: 69.246.13.131
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Didn't Detroit just spend 1.5 BILLION on updateing the schools?

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 216
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What years did your mom teach at Mackenzie, broken_main?

Alexei289

Post Number: 1001
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:55 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

lol hell ya i went down those tunnels...

It was the biggest rumor around town that there was a bomb shelter under the school... so i begged a janitor to take me around ... and sure as shit, there was a pretty vast complex of mazes and tunnels under that place... creepy.
There were probably some tunnels that went deeper, because there was several sealed steel doors down there.. and there is a huge rumor that they built an access tunnel to Eppler Jr. High 1 mile away, that they built in when they paved over shelby road. Never seen it, but after seeing what I did I wouldnt doubt it.. considering the timing of the builting of Utica HS, (height of the cold war), the missle silos nearby at riverbends park... and the stories from the oldtimers that they used to close down schools when the slaughter house sewer system used to back up.... which runs right over the top of where this tunnel would supposedly run... Not to mention that in the science rooms at Eppler Jr. High there were several access doors built into the floor... Even though there is no basement... and the crawlspace access is in another room...

kinda creepy when you think about it.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2324
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 11:49 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

<<<Central High Alum ....Class of '90

Wirt
Username: Wirt

Post Number: 9
Posted From: 64.243.32.9
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:17 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

With Cass Tech, DSA, and some of the other schools from the recent DPS Bond Program, the bar has been raised for school facilities in the state. You won't find limitless athletic playfields -- but as far as state of the art facilities, they exist in Detroit.
The state funding for new construction is pretty much the same if it is a rich or poor district (only a couple districts can do a bond without state backing). ...The work at the Bloomfield School District over the last 10+ years has been about rather dismal (premanufactured facities with no context). I hope they see the value in good design.

Clark1mt
Username: Clark1mt

Post Number: 35
Posted From: 4.229.120.91
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

The missle silos nearby at riverbends park

I'm not an expert by any means, but I'm pretty sure there have never been offensive nuclear missile silos in the state of Michigan. You could be referring to the Nike air defense site in that area.

http://www.army.mil/CMH-PG/faq /nike.htm
http://nikehercules.tripod.com /d-06.html

Still could have made it a target, though, and if so, a bomb shelter wouldn't have made much of a difference.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 600
Posted From: 69.246.115.84
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The Big N.O.__ Northwestern High, Red and Gray all day!

short story__ before the new Northwestern was built, my fourth hour Economics class was missing two windows, so we had to wear our coats to class.

Also, in most of the classrooms, the radiators 'clanked' so loud, that the teachers had to yell to talk.

...and they are complaining! HA!

Those 'sub-urbanite' kids are spoiled b-atchezzzzzz!

super d(motordetroit)

Jimelnino
Username: Jimelnino

Post Number: 323
Posted From: 68.79.103.87
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 12:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Haha, I live down the street from Utica, pass it every day. My sister went to Utica and I went to Ford II, I always thought Utica had more "charm", since it was two stories instead of one sprawling campus like Ford, but I never knew it was THAT old.

High School sucked, College is way better :-)

English
Username: English

Post Number: 473
Posted From: 68.248.9.83
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 2:02 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Detroit RENAISSANCE!

(just had to represent)

Jimaz

Post Number: 80
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 2:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Alexei289, I explored the Utica HS tunnels quite a bit in the early 70s yet never encountered the legendary bomb shelter. There were rumored to be Geiger counters and long-expired food rations there under the auditorium. The oddest memory is of a small, decorative door with wrought-iron fixtures in the SE corner of the tunnels, something you'd expect a Hobbit to use. It had no earthly purpose in that industrial tunnel. Creepy indeed. The tunnels were, of course, off-limits to students.

Once, as a prank, I poked a $5 bill tied to a long string up through a tunnel vent into the crowded gymnasium during lunch. (Fishing for students, I called it - just to see what would happen.) It created more of a commotion than I'd anticipated, so I bolted toward the SW access hatch to escape, told some students there to direct any pursuing officials to the right while I turned left instead, slowing to an innocent stroll. I later learned the janitors had indeed been chasing me but the diversion worked. I escaped. No harm done. Such were the days when students banded together against the Administration. <sigh>

I went to Eppler too. It was the HS before the one at 21 Mile Rd.

Clark1mt, those were indeed Nike missles at the D-06 site in what is now Riverbends Park. Good find!

Jimelnino, yes, Utica HS had a nice, older architecture. I think I liked the teachers most. They were mostly progressive, dedicated, eager to experiment, and were allowed great latitude. One, who seemed a raving atheist to me, actually invited her class to attend a church on Sunday. There were no limits as long as the goal was education. Another let me drive her new Corvette!

Sadly, Mr. Hogg recently passed away. Rest in peace, Duane. No hard feelings.

Alexei289

Post Number: 1006
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 5:55 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

NO shit... I remember Mr. Hogg... but mostly from Mrs. Hogg... who teached there for a while.

Whats crazy bout the tunnel idea is that although it was the biggest rumor at school... it is completely NOT that far fetched to those that have seen the tunnels under the school... They even wrap all around the pool and behind it is another set of steel doors btw.

Either way... they keeped some pretty neat shit down there for storage. I remember I had detention one day for opening a window on the second floor (safety violation), and had to move the chairs from the auditorium into the basement that were being taken out. They now sit next to vintage 1970s desks, chalkboards, and a SHITLOAD of school supplies.

They have made many improvements to the school in recent years, but really its like putting purfume on a pig in many ways... The school has alot more character... but Eppler had alot more than Utica could ever have...
Especially when in 8th grade the roof leaked so bad that we were let out of class 10 minutes early to move barrels and trash cans around the old part of the school to catch the water.

Did you ever have a problem parking there?? Utica was built for 1200 kids... but now carries 1700 grades 10-11-12. SO 2 thirds of the school can drive... but there are only 250 parking spots. The school decided to put the tennis courts where the parking lot should go.

Many of you think that not being able to park at school is pretty small beans... but you have to remember that in Utica and shelby... you dont exactly have sidewalks that go everywhere or a clear cut way to get to school everyday other than walking on the road itself. Not to mention that many students lived 6-7 miles from school.... The bus was the only option but it was always an hour bus ride due to traffic. Alot of my friends just literally stayed at friend's houses that lived close to the school during the week.. those whos parents didnt flip out about it.

Jimaz

Post Number: 83
Posted on Tuesday, January 24, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Duane Hogg may have been the one who introduced the first computer programming class at Utica HS. If so he deserves some credit.
text/plainHogg
DuaneHogg.txt (1.5 k)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.