Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » There is much to do in a new and improving Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5393
Posted From: 68.42.168.211
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 1:02 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

DETROIT (AP) -- NFL players said it all season: We want to go to Detroit.

While the Motor City is destination No. 1 for professional football players, it is probably not among the top hot spots for most Americans.

But city officials and members of the Super Bowl host committee want out-of-towners to know that a new and improving Detroit awaits them.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/s tories/M/MI_SUPER_BOWL_VISITIN G_DETROIT_MIOL-?SITE=MIPON&SEC TION=STATE&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT

Ilovedetroit
Username: Ilovedetroit

Post Number: 2000
Posted From: 69.246.4.29
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 2:37 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Great story on Detroit and I bet our own local press didn't write it because they can never say anything nice about Detroit!

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 599
Posted From: 205.188.116.137
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 2:52 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

blah blah blah blah blah blah... I'm so sick of this Super Bowl stuff__CAN WE GET ON WIT' IT AND GET IT OVER WITH....DAMN!

super d(motordetroit)

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1344
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 5:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

That read like a vertabim copy of a CoD press release!

Nellonfury
Username: Nellonfury

Post Number: 68
Posted From: 68.43.156.135
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 7:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's cool that our city is hosting this year's SuperBowl but I hate to say this,Super_D is right.
Every hour on the news I keep hearing about SuperBowl this and SuperBowl that!!!!The city is acting like we're hosting a brand name for mens' underwear!!! I'll keep my fingers cross for the out-of-town vistors so they can have a SAFE Superbowl weekend.

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 10:32 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

You folks should enjoy this. It is a "once in a generation" event - especially for a northern city like Detroit.

As a Super Bowl visiting out of towner, I can tell you that I am VERY MUCH looking forward to our Detroit visit. I really think the media outside Detroit is selling your city short. From what I am seeing from here, this has the potential to be the best host city festivities to date. If the weather cooperates, this is gonna be GOOD.

It is a point well taken that the "infotainment" related Super Bowl stories flooding your news programs might get tiresome. It's only temporary - but with each story, that promotes your city. And you all should feel good about this: Would it better if the Super Bowl never came? I'm no Detroiter, but I would guess that the majority would say NO.

I read an article/link from here where a tour company representative stated that amongst the "well heeled" (read corporate bigwigs) that their bookings are down this year. Whereas they would have stayed in Miami or other warm weather host city for a week, they are only booking this year for 2-3 days - or just gameday only. I guess no warm weather (read: no golf) as well as the city "rep" is causing shorter bookings this year amongst the corporate crowd.......

And that's quite OK. That means more room for US. And there will be many of US. I can tell you that just because the media thinks that it isn't "happening", doesn't mean it's true. Case in point: Super Bowl XXV in Tampa. The game was played over the backdrop of the Gulf War - the NFL cancelled the Commissioner's Ball and a few other high profile events. To hear the national media talk, it was as if Tampa was a "bummer" or something. From my POV in Tampa, however, it was a GREAT time.

Also: be glad for ANY news story that isn't negative. Trust me - you would much rather hear stories about the parties and general goings on than the NATIONAL stories that will be written. Super Bowl writers will turn the ripping of the host city into a sport. And they do it EVERY year - even in Miami. The only "immune" cities I know of are NOLA (no longer an option for hosting - at least in the near term) and San Diego. So consider any news/infotainment story a good story that isn't ripping your city.

So apologies to those tired of the endless news and promo stories - they'll all be over in a couple of weeks, In the meantime, enjoy the week - I know I will:-)

Oh, BTW: The Super Bowl IS a brand name - and is protected by copyright. If you were to announce and advertise anything while using the term "Super Bowl", you would need permission from the NFL to do so. If you ever notice many ads which state "Watch the Big Game here" or "win tickets to The Big Game on February 5", that's because the advertising agency does not have OK from the NFL. I have known radio stations to give away Super Bowl trips - but they could not say "Super Bowl" in the ads for the contests.

(Message edited by Audible Nectar on January 22, 2006)

Imperfectly
Username: Imperfectly

Post Number: 83
Posted From: 69.14.162.54
Posted on Sunday, January 22, 2006 - 2:27 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

last night at Agave there were a bunch of people in superbowl jackets with id tags and official cars.
too bad the service last night was rather horrible !

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 896
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2006 - 6:39 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I say bring it on! It gets the name out there. Jerome Bettis coming home will be a huge story. And I dare to say that while Detroit is no Miami or San Diego, people probably expect it to be horrible. So it doesn't have to be as good as those cities, it only has to be great enough to really leave the impression on people that Detroit isn't even close to the reputation it has....this will make THE biggest difference.

If even a few people who own businesses come to Detroit, or the buzz makes them look into it further, come for the game and their expectations are far exceeded, who knows how many will open a new business or add a franchise, or whatever in Detroit. It makes a difference.

While the city was moving forward before the SB, I truly believe it is the catalyst to get these efforts done quickly. And in doing it quickly it has gotten that critical mass. Doing it piecemeal wouldn't have gotten others excited. The superbowl did.

And I truly truly believe that after-SB could be even better. This could be Detroit's chance to "be discovered" again.

Maybe history will look back on Detroit pre and post superbowl. It was the catalyst that got it really going, and the event that put Detroit back on the map.

I think I'm right. Time will tell.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.