Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Running Through Detroit « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Peanut_breath
Username: Peanut_breath

Post Number: 107
Posted From: 66.73.225.162
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 4:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The past two months I've been training to run a marathon in May 06 for a charity. I've taken up the streets, alleys and sidewalks of Detroit as my training grounds. I've also taken to documenting this experience, as I run through this ever changing city. My routine routes take me along the East Riverfront, Belle Isle, and throughout the CBD. Rarely do I return from a run without some interesting, bizzare or outright crazy sighting. I read about similar experiences daily on these pages. I'd appreciate any comments and/or advice from those with experience not only with distance running, but with using the streets of Detroit recreationally. Both are proving to be a challenge. This thread was not started for solicitation purposes. I merely want to share some of these experiences and thoughts, many of which are focused on our city. I've used this forum for news about daily events, developments and other significant activities happening in Detroit. It's been a great resource as I adjust my running routes to witness these activities first hand. At the very least, keep an eye out for me and wish me well if I pass you along the way. I plan on representing this city well. www.rorairuns.blogspot.com

Ray1936
Username: Ray1936

Post Number: 204
Posted From: 207.200.116.139
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 4:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Be sure to carry identification. I'm not being flippant....runners get hit by cars daily. Otherwise, good luck in training and go for that marathon!

Bungholio
Username: Bungholio

Post Number: 4
Posted From: 65.123.68.112
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 4:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As someone who has run in and trained for the last two Detroit marathons in the city, my one line of advice is watch for broken glass. It can wreck a good pair of shoes.

Super_d
Username: Super_d

Post Number: 582
Posted From: 69.246.115.84
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 5:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I'm a light runner__ I usually do a 2.5mile Mon, Wed,Thurs, and a 5mile on Sat and Sun.

Belle Isle is my fav' place to run__ I don't like City running cause it causes to many problems...ie traffic, glass, bad roads and the like...I once got a '40 ounce' beer bottle thrown at me from a passing motorist__ On Belle Isle you only have to worry about the Duck 'boo-boo'\:-) messing up your running shoes.

I suppose, if you must do city running, the Blvd's and Drive's are great routes; West Grand Blvd-from river to river, Outer Drive, Oakman Blvd are all wonderful areas to map out a run.

Personally, the most wonderful route is running on Belle Isle on a Saturday morning after a heavy dose of snow the night before. Good luck on your training and maybe I will 'run' into you out there__'no pun intended'.\:-)

super d(motordetroit)

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 430
Posted From: 84.156.59.192
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 6:14 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Naw, the absolute best place to go running is at the Elmwood Cemetary. There are a few hills and the outer ring is 1.5 miles. Best route for shorter distance running.

Since I have run numerous times with the Downtown Runner's club, I can tell you, there is safety in numbers. The last thing any driver in the City is looking out for is a runner...

p.s. I will begin my training for my first marathon this spring... Cafe promised she would do it with me....

Super_d

Post Number: 585
Posted From: 69.246.115.84
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 6:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

'Detroitduo'__ I'll 'pass' on the cemetary__ no pun intended:-)

super d(motordetroit)

Jimaz
Username: Jimaz

Post Number: 66
Posted From: 68.2.191.57
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 6:37 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Heh heh. (Picturing someone yelling "Hey, Peanut_breath!" at the wrong runner.)

Peanut_breath

Post Number: 108
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 7:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Agreed, Elmwood is one of my favorite spots. I even dedicated a post to the Bloody Run story about Chief Pontiac's battle with the Brits. With the amount of broken glass on the streets I'm trying to avoid my own bloody run. Thanks for the advice.

Gary
Username: Gary

Post Number: 106
Posted From: 66.73.238.5
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 8:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Reconstructive knee surgery has basically put a stop to my desire for running, but prior to that, I used to do Palmer Park twice a week. I would park in the 12th Precint parking lot on 7 Mile. From there I would go west along 7 Mile to Ponchartrain, then south along the golf course, through the park, over to Woodward and then north back to 7 Mile. I would almost always encounter many other runners and walkers along the route and the scenery in the spring and fall was very picturesque.

Nowadays, my knees won't let me do any running and not too much strenuous walking, so I walk laps around the local high school track; 4 laps equals one mile, then I hop back in the car and head for Tim Horton's to reward myself for at least making an effort to put down the remote and get my lard ass off the couch for a little physical activity.

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 93
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 8:13 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

There are a few other runner groups besides the Downtown Runners (Tuesday evenings - year round). The activities section of the two dailies lists a few and the internet also lists some others.

I believe the Hansons might still be coordinating group training runs. Personally, I like the Dearborn HS on Rotunda Drive or the track by Lowrey MS on Jonathan - usually nobody around and there's no glass, etc.

Bussey
Username: Bussey

Post Number: 133
Posted From: 69.212.231.231
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 8:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Around WSU's athletic complex (The Matthei Center Area) You get great panoramic views of downtown and the new center, and it is a block from where I live, that's the best part.

Gannon
Username: Gannon

Post Number: 5377
Posted From: 166.144.12.164
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 9:16 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Peanut_breath,

I've got to get back to the pavement...and have a relatively random 'schedule'...hit me up with an e-mail and we can try to run in tandem...might allow for more exposure against the risk of not being seen...or at any rate if anyone sees us both they'll at least aim for me.

I've got a bit of experience after sixteen marathons and a whole helluva bunch of insight for holistic coaching.

Might look into getting one of those GPS units that Atl_runner has to document distances and exact placement of those blogged memories.

Cheers,
John

Livernoisyard
Username: Livernoisyard

Post Number: 94
Posted From: 69.242.223.42
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 9:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I picked up a Garmin ForeRunner 301 in October. But wait until February for the newer 305s to first appear, albeit at a higher price tag - $300+. The 305 is smaller and has a better chip/algorithm.

Mine cost $206 total online, including the 7-10 day shipping cost. It was FedExed in less than 2 days, though anyway.

Peanut_breath

Post Number: 109
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 2:09 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Gary, I've been meaning to make it to Palmer Park for a run. I've heard positive things and could use a change of scenery.

Gannon, I'm not sure what "holistic coaching" entails, but I'm accepting all types of advice. I'm a former college football player and accostomed to being coached by grizzled old school types who spit when they're screaming in your face. I'm thinking "holistic" wasn't exactly in their vocabulary.

On a final note, I was running along E. Jefferson (at Rivard) last night when a guy frantically waived for me to stop. I did so and removed my headphones to hear him. He asked if I wanted to buy a gatorade from in, and actually pulled out a half-filled Gatorade bottle of what I hope was Gatorade inside. Who needs race organizers to hand out fluids, when the kind people of Detroit are conveniently there your service? I politely declined.

Detroitduo
Username: Detroitduo

Post Number: 440
Posted From: 84.156.8.13
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 2:19 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

LOL! Now there's a new one...

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6489
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 2:46 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

Cafe promised she would do it with me....

I'm confused, I thought duo was gay. Cafe is a nice woman and all but I am impressed that she go DD to switch teams.

:-)

Super_d

Post Number: 594
Posted From: 64.12.116.204
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 2:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

"I did so and removed my headphones to hear him."

WARNING, do not wear headphones when running thru the city!

super d(motordetroit)

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.