Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Lawmakers need more work « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 409
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10:38 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Cities Pull The Plug On Flashy Signs

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060119/M ETRO/601190346/1001

Username: 1953

Post Number: 666
Posted From: 209.104.146.146
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 11:25 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Why does everyone hate flashy signs? I think they make a city. Look at Times Square, for example. What would it be without all the flash and pizazz of signage? The idea behind a city is density, commerce, etc. Flashy signs indicate those things!

Rust
Username: Rust

Post Number: 77
Posted From: 64.118.136.130
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 11:31 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

1953 I think this is dependent on the city and how it layed out.

I agree that in a downtown area it adds to the vitality and creates a certain level of excitement to a street. Around the Fox Theatre I would like to see more lights and signage. I would love to see the State Theatre, State Bar, COPA, etc. etc. add signage and lights. In places like Sterling Heights or in Clinton Township along Groesbeck I think it can look tacking and be destracting.

Generally in an area that is urban signage and lighting is a good thing. In a suburban or rural area I think it should be subdued matching the nature of the suburb.

Rberlin
Username: Rberlin

Post Number: 313
Posted From: 192.203.222.81
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 12:26 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Has anyone ever driven up M20 past the Soaring Eagle in Mt. Pleasent? They have this HUGE sign that at night becomes the only thing you can see.

Detroit_stylin
Username: Detroit_stylin

Post Number: 2316
Posted From: 66.202.227.12
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 12:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

It's funny while I was reading the article how people were stating their reasons why they would be against it. One was quoted as saying that they are dangerous and since people shave, eat, and drink, and use cell phones while driving anyway why would we want to put a dangerous flashy sign in the way so they can look at it?

I just think that was so funny that no, it would it won't be the drivers fault if he got transfixed on a sign and therefore ended rear ending some ahead of him. Apparently it would be the sign that doesn't understand the rules of the road.

Yet these same people flock to these world cities every year and talk in awe about the lights and sounds of these other areas, and why can't Detroit, be more like ___________(fill in the name of your favorite world class city).

Hippocrisyatcha!

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.