Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Federal judge axes Detroit's ban on scalping « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Merchantgander
Username: Merchantgander

Post Number: 1473
Posted From: 150.198.164.127
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10:22 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pb cs.dll/article?AID=/20060119/M ETRO/601190382

Genesyxx
Username: Genesyxx

Post Number: 408
Posted From: 209.69.165.10
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10:36 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Darn, beat me to it. At least scalping fake tickets is still illegal, right?

Itsjeff
Username: Itsjeff

Post Number: 5378
Posted From: 208.27.111.125
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 10:47 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The ruling comes just before Super Bowl XL is played in Detroit Feb. 5.

Well that's a relief. That way, people who try and sell their Super Bowl tickets at or below face value won't get arrested.

Audible_nectar
Username: Audible_nectar

Post Number: 31
Posted From: 12.214.103.152
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 11:13 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The article title is misleading, but it's a good decision anyway.

This decision did not lift the ban on SCALPING - it just lifted the ban on offering tickets at or below face value.

I think ticket resale laws are bogus anyway, but especially bogus when you cannot sell a ticket on the street for face value. I also find the fact that a person on the street can be arrested for offering TO PAY over face value bogus.

This is unlikely to help matters for Super Bowl, since the likelihood of offering, or being offered a ticket at or below face is about zero. Some of the associated events (like Kid Rock) may be another matter.

I would also expect a certain amount of backlash if DPD begins messing with potential Super Bowl attendees over this issue. "Scalping" isn't just acceptable practice at the Super Bowl, it is expected to occur by the originating sellers (football players and league officials) as well as the customers of the various broker agencies and the brokers themselves. The NFL, while taking an "official" stance against scalping Super Bowl tickets, are really more "look the other way, because important people that we could not hook up still want the tickets for a price". Half of the ticket brokerages offering tix and packages would not have these available if not for inside and direct assistance from the NFL. How else can a ticket broker offer a 200% delivery guarantee on a ticket they sold three months before they were even printed? Because they have connections - GOOD connections - and connections that good can only originate with NFL people (see Mike Tice).

In my prior Super Bowl experiences (three host cities attended), the main focus amonst police and NFL security was COUNTERFEIT tickets. As long as what you were selling was real, there was no issue. But those guys broke their necks to bust people for holding and selling fakes - as it should be.

From what I know of Super Bowl crowds (they tend to be the "movers and shakers" - IOW the "connected and powerful"), they won't take too kindly to being arrested because they offer to pay above face value for a ticket. THOSE are the stories that will carry more weight with the NFL, because the results of those arrests will cause those "connected" people to say "Forget Detroit next time". Now if it were "Joe Sixpack" fan saying this, it wouldn't matter - but in today's connected and monied society and the weight that carries, that matters. THOSE are the people the NFL will listen to when considering future sites for the game.

It's also not good to mess with the ticket seeking out of towners, because they are in Detroit to spend money. And there will be thousands of these people (especially if it's Pittsburgh who gets in).

I will be curious to see how all of this plays out over Super Bowl weekend.

Erikd
Username: Erikd

Post Number: 489
Posted From: 69.242.214.106
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 9:36 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I always thought that law was bullshit...

Jerome81
Username: Jerome81

Post Number: 891
Posted From: 64.142.86.133
Posted on Friday, January 20, 2006 - 12:41 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In my opinion, the market should determine the prices. If you have tickets to a hot concert, why shouldn't you be allowed to sell them for over face value? If someone doesn't want to pay over face, they won't. If it isn't worth face, they should be able to pay less. So at least 1/2 of this ruling makes sense. Now they need to get rid of making selling over face value illegal. If a buyer and seller agree on a price, what's the problem with that? Either over or under face.

And I'm glad the city of Detroit has been paying so much attention to those dangerous, nasty, criminal face value or under-face-value ticket sellers. We all know we need the scum of society off the city streets.

On the other hand, its easy money for the city. So, what the heck. I just wish they'd put the same effort into other crimes, even "petty ones" like car break ins and such as they seem to put into this.

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 330
Posted From: 71.148.42.142
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 5:44 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Well, We beat 'em.... Here's the follow up article:

http://www.freep.com/apps/pbcs .dll/article?AID=/20060120/NEW S01/601200436

While I'm not particularly thrilled that they printed my full name in the paper (The atricle was brought to my attention by one of my new supervisors, great... now I'm 'the ticket guy')
I wanted to post this & say thank you to Lowell and the members of this website...

I posted a big long gripe about my arrest outside of Comerica Park back in 2003 for violating the ticket scalping ordinance in Detroit. Thru my own ignorance of the law, I found myself trying to unload some tickets that my girlfriends mother had purchased and subsequently was not going to use. After posting my whinign session, was later contacted by Thomas Cecil, the attorney who put together the case that was won, finally, last week. As a result of this, I will be getting back all of my costs involved in defending myself against the officially unconstitutional ordinance.

Had I not came here to piss and moan about my predicament, I may not have ever been contacted by Mr. Cecil. Thanks for listening to my whining :-)

Metrodetguy
Username: Metrodetguy

Post Number: 2228
Posted From: 71.144.118.89
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 5:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Where's Rasputin now...recall the racist slams he made on people that were caught up in this overturned ordinance?

Paulj
Username: Paulj

Post Number: 331
Posted From: 71.148.42.142
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 6:52 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yeah, he was pretty nasty to me when I posted about it, something about 'laughing at the big dummy who got what he deserves'...

oh well, at least this dummy has been vindicated in the eyes of the legal system, nevermind what some kook hurling insults from behind a keyboard thinks...

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.