Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » DPS refuses to give principals their correct wages & benefits « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Ltorivia485
Username: Ltorivia485

Post Number: 2285
Posted From: 199.74.87.131
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 12:09 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Hey everyone. This is personal, but it irks me so much. This is so not right:

Detroit Public schools CEO promised the principals and assistant principals that the school district will pay their lost wages and benefits back in December. Today, he told them that DPS has dropped the deal because they feared the teacher unions. The teacher unions have been touting that giving the principals back their correct wages and benefits was a form of "pay raises" (which is 100% false). Currently, 15 teachers in my mom's school make MORE money than she does (even though she's an administrator with a doctorate degree and has over 30 years in the system!).

Now only does she have to deal with the finances and operation of the school building, she has to represent the school in public relations, attend monthly meetings and stay at the school there than most teachers. The unequal pay scale is making my mother lose money every year. It has now affected her pensions. It's almost at the point my mom wants to quit and relocate out of state. My mom has not been paid her right salary (she has lost up to $25,000) for the past five years now. Principals are not part of a union. She is making less money now than when she was an assistant principal in 1999. This is not fair at all. It makes me want to cry.

I think I need to write a nice and long lengthy letter to the CEO. It probably won't make any impact, but it hurts me to see that my own mother is being lied to and cheated out of her real wages and benefits every month but her bills continue to increase. There has to be something that I can do; I might be in college with my own issues and homework, but I also want to help her. She deserves her correct wages and benefits.

Motorcitymayor2026
Username: Motorcitymayor2026

Post Number: 389
Posted From: 71.10.63.140
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 12:18 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yes, that does suck...

They have a point though, because i am sure that the unions would have a fit! right or wrong..

Best of luck to your mother. Dont give up on Detroit!

Everyman
Username: Everyman

Post Number: 19
Posted From: 24.136.14.239
Posted on Thursday, January 19, 2006 - 3:53 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

hey L. i've talked to you over on xoxo.

do what you gotta do. write a letter, get others to write letters. if you can get people to write that were positively affected, have them write.

usually things like this just take a critical mass, once it has formed, they pretty much have to move.

good luck

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.