Discuss Detroit » Archives - Beginning January 2006 » Not all happy with Winter Blast setup « Previous Next »
Top of pageBottom of page

Eric
Username: Eric

Post Number: 294
Posted From: 35.11.158.84
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 7:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Considering what a good event the MWB is for downtown the postives far outweigh the negatives for a few business owner IMO

http://www.crainsdetroit.com/c gi-bin/article.pl?articleId=28 617

The impact of Motown Winter Blast and Super Bowl-related street closings on downtown businesses won’t be known until Wednesday, but as many as 14 blocks will be closed to traffic from Jan. 31 through Feb. 6.

The closings will create a no-traffic, pedestrian-only zone and could benefit some businesses while hurting others.

Detroitkev
Username: Detroitkev

Post Number: 36
Posted From: 70.230.12.121
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 7:15 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I understand some bar owners being worried because there will be temporary bars opening up, but I think there will be enough people to pack every bar (permanent or temporary) downtown.

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 263
Posted From: 63.77.247.130
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 7:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Same thing went on last year in Jacksonville. People were bussed in across the river. All of the roads into downtown were closed to regular traffic.

The owner of Bleu in that article is trying to make it sound like it's the City of Detroit's fault. What a whiny %$#*!

J_stone
Username: J_stone

Post Number: 264
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 7:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Ha! Also, I love how so many parking lot owners are getting screwed too.

Revenge!

Detroitwonk
Username: Detroitwonk

Post Number: 95
Posted From: 69.89.100.18
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 8:51 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Anyone have a list of the temporary liquor licenses being issued for SBXL week? I figure with all of the little temporary bars opening up for the week it might be good to have some kind of a comprehensive list.

Funkycarrie
Username: Funkycarrie

Post Number: 128
Posted From: 70.233.5.39
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 9:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

what do you expect from a guy who has ownership in Bleu.........

Panson
Username: Panson

Post Number: 767
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:25 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

What was the attendance of the scaled back, mini version of Winter Blast last year (during a blizzard)? 200,000+/-? Yeah, as a business owner I'd be really pissed about 200,000 people WALKING by my storefront.

C'mon, give me a break. If last year's experience was any indication of what to expect, we could easily have 400,000 to 500,000 people throughout the week walking around these closed roads. That has got to far out weigh the few thousand cars that would have driven by during the week. Most of who would never even think of stopping in.

There are exceptions for some businesses such as office services, and other non-restaurant or non-retail businesses which is unfortunate, but closed roads/walking crowd will likely be the best scenario for many of the CBD businesses; especially the bars & restaurants even if their VIPs have to walk a few blocks to get there (boo whoo).

Eap
Username: Eap

Post Number: 1235
Posted From: 69.212.227.56
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:38 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Yes but what about the building trades trying to get to their jobsites for those 1-2 weeks? Who foots the bill for those delays?

Panson
Username: Panson

Post Number: 768
Posted From: 152.163.100.195
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 10:58 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Guess the owners will have to dress up one of the partners in a ridiculous outfit - you know, like Grumpy from Snow White - and have him hand out pamphlets to the crowd at some set rate per pamphlet handed out. Over a week period, that should just about cover any over runs.

Corktownmark
Username: Corktownmark

Post Number: 149
Posted From: 68.61.194.191
Posted on Tuesday, January 17, 2006 - 11:33 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Think most tradesman can walk accross woodward without much trouble. I got a hand cart for tools if they need to borrow.

Hooha
Username: Hooha

Post Number: 69
Posted From: 69.81.52.188
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 12:34 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Man, what a bunch of idiots! The parking lot owner has a point, but all the restaurants?! Just because people can't park 30 ft. from the door doesn't mean your business is going to be vacant during Super Bowl weekend. And I'm sure the thousands of visitors staying downtown are bringing their lunches and dinners in paper bags so they don't have to eat out in Detroit.

Maybe I'm reading it wrong, but the only streets being used for the winter blast are woodward and monroe, right? Shouldn't there still be access to most of the garages in the CBD?

Skulker
Username: Skulker

Post Number: 3402
Posted From: 67.103.104.93
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 11:27 am:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

“If we’d have lost the Paris Hilton party, it would have driven us out of business. We wouldn’t have been able to pay our bills. ... If we would have lost Paris Hilton, I would have sued.

If your business model is predicated on one party from a notoriously fickle celebrity, you have a very flawed business model. No court or jury in their right mind would award damages.

What a turd.

Swingline
Username: Swingline

Post Number: 388
Posted From: 172.149.90.93
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 1:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Just curious, do the Super Bowl regular cities like San Diego, Miami, New Orleans etc implement widespread street closures and parking restrictions during Super Bowl week? Anybody know?

Jt1
Username: Jt1

Post Number: 6461
Posted From: 198.208.159.20
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 1:05 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owner of Bleu speaks like his business really has a positive effect on the city.

Where is he to clean all of the shit left on Woodward by his clubbers? A Thursday - Sunday nighttime only business that brings more tarsh and nuisance than good.

Yep, I really give 2 shits about what he thinks.

Valkyrias
Username: Valkyrias

Post Number: 190
Posted From: 66.238.129.197
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 1:23 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

yeah, there are way too many whiney people in that article. the only ones who are really positive about it are the ones who have been down there the longest...i think that should tell you something right there. and i doubt that anyone in greektown will suffer, except the parking lot guys. they get a lot of foot traffic even when monroe is open.

and in looking at the map of the street closures, i don't think it's all that bad. obviously they need to shut down the streets surrounding ford field, they do that for any event there. and the majority of the larger street closures are only for half a week before ths superbowl. new center does it every year for tastefest, pontiac as well for a.b.e. and they survive. and this is the SUPERBOWL! it's gonna be a clusterf*** down there no matter what they do!

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 1:29 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

So how many streets do we have to close to keep Paris Hilton out of Detroit??:-)
Just wondering

Tkelly1986
Username: Tkelly1986

Post Number: 48
Posted From: 68.251.55.238
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 1:31 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In Chicago they close down streets for festivals all summer long......and despite the headache for drivers, it is always a good time and good for businesses. Of course, Chicago is also less dependent on the gas guzzlers that clog Detroit; but you can look at this as progress if you are looking at the Chicago model to rebuild Detroit, if not, then it is a moot point.

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1327
Posted From: 68.61.187.234
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 1:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

In defense of those complainers, it is really difficult to run a business that relies on the public to walk (drive) through your doors. It is rarely predictable, and so you really do need to make money when you can to shore up for times when the money isn't there.

It is also unfair to expect a business owner to be just sit tight when other places around him are making a ton of money during this windfall and he may even have to take a hit.

And it is certainly unreasonable to expect him to be cheerful about it, although good for him if he can be.

EVERYONE downtown is trying to cash in on the superbowl crowds. It's gotta suck to be 1% who is actually having business hindered by it.

Jt1

Post Number: 6463
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 2:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

As I see it Clubs on Woodward are a hinderance to progress on that strip. Who needs Thursday-Sunday night time only spots on a primary road that is in the process of re-inventing itself.

I agree that some people get the shaft and they have every right to be upset. I do, however, disagree that a club owner is trying to play the victim card when they can be a bit of a burden of establishing a true downtown area.

If he is anywhere else complain but I walk through the trash and mess of the night clubs every week. They are not exaclty good, caring businesses. If they were they would take the 2 minutes to sweep the mess in front of their doors after closing.

Skulker

Post Number: 3407
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 2:30 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I am at loss to name any sort of retail or restaurant business that will be adversely impacted by the street closures. Does Lavda Jewelers really think that folks who make a specific drive down to them to puchase jewelry from them will not recognize that the Superbowl is in town and come either the weekend before or the weekend after the SB? If they do lose 2-3 customers that weekend because of the SB, do they really anticipate absolutley no increase in sales from the hundreds of thousands of pedestrians going past their store? Folks whose watches break or get lost, folks who are tipsy and want to impress girlfiends or others by buying them jewelry or other momentos of the weekend? I find it very very difficult to believe that Lavdas will suffer a signficant drop in revenue. I find easy to believe they will have one of their best weekends ever.

Does Blue really think that their business will drop becuase some folks that drive there on weekends will not walk a few extra blocks to be part of a damn near once in a lifetime party? Do they really believe out of the hundreds of thousands of revelers at the party are going to be turned away from other clubs that are already booked are then not going to come and stand in line to get in to their club? I find it hard to believe that SB weekend will not be their busiest weekend ever.

Mthouston
Username: Mthouston

Post Number: 3
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 3:01 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

These complaints are the same one that certain business owners in Ferndale and along Woodward Ave.make every year during the Dream Cruise. And these owners often tend to very short sighted about the long term rewards from events such as Dream Cruise or the Super Bowl. How many people who live in the greater Detroit area that have never spent any time downtown, which will now make the trip down during WinterFest. This is a great chance for all of the downtown merchants to attract new business. I’m sure it will be a lot of work, some business might even lose money, but this is opportunity, a BIG opportunity. And who knows when something like the Super Bowl will grace Detroit again.
Just my 2 cents

Jt1

Post Number: 6467
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 3:08 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

I think those in Ferndale have a better argument. The dream cruise brings little money for business and they are used as make shift rest rooms. In addition there is not that dense of a walkable crowd out for the dream cruise.

The super bowl crowd and the dream cruise crowd are very different and the super bowl will bring in a major economic benefit greater than normal business days.

I don't believe that is the case for the dream cruise.

I may be wrong.

Skulker

Post Number: 3409
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 3:18 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Jt1 makes an astute observation.

Jt1

Post Number: 6468
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 3:24 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

building hater.

Skulker

Post Number: 3411
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 3:35 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

BUILDINGS SUCK!

Dialh4hipster
Username: Dialh4hipster

Post Number: 1328
Posted From: 68.250.205.35
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 3:41 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

Look, I can speak from experience that losing one weekend of normal revenues can really screw up your financial picture. If an event keeps your regular customers away you typically DO NOT see an increase before and after. There are too many choices. People will just go someplace else.

And I guess my big issue is just the dismissive nature of the comments here. These are business owners who have set up shop in an area that is decidedly less than perfect. At the very least, you could show a little more sympathy.

Jt1

Post Number: 6471
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 3:49 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

quote:

These are business owners who have set up shop in an area that is decidedly less than perfect.

Actually I think that downtown is good for club owners. No accountability to the area, take over the streets with parking and have the patrons throw as much shit as they want on the ground since it isn;t your problem.

I sympathize with the businesses that have an investment in the city and do their part as decent business owners. I am just a little sour on the typical Thursday-Sat/Sunday club because of the horrible mess they leave behind and the lack of concern for the surroundings by their owners.

I will aplologize if I ever see somonefrom Bleu cleaning up broken glass, fliers and garbage after the night is over. I still have yet to see that.

My concern for a business is only as strong as the appearance of concern that the business has for their immediate surroundings.

Sorry for the rant. The city needs all business it can get but it has many businesses, like Bleu, that from my persepctive care about their business and their business only.

Skulker

Post Number: 3413
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 3:59 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

While I can see your point DH4H, realistically these are not destination shops or clubs that rely on big ticket item sales. I would have sympathy for certain types of shop owners...I would feel badly if one of them sold large, bulky and expensive consumer goods like treadmills or Barcaloungers or were a very unique specialty shop of some sort like a Thomas Kinkade, Painter of Light® gallery, I could see their beef...

However, we are talking about a NIGHTCLUB that will have tens of thousands of people walking up and down the street right in front of them at a massive outdoor party, most of whom will eventually want to go inside somewhere to warm up....and the large majority of these partiers are there with the express purpose of going downtown to have a freaking party! To drink! To dance! To be part of the scene man! And many of this club owners competition will be closed for private parties! Do you really expect Bleu to have a slow weekend? I don't, so I am having a hard time buying his complaints.

We are talking talking a jewelry store that will most likely experience much higher foot traffic than they have ever seen before. Its up to them to reap the benfit of that bonanza.....

With all due respect, not all small retailers are the same. Some types will be importuned by events like this while others will not and still others will see record sales they never thought possible. The only ones I see in the CBD that run a real chance of being impacted are Heritage and Bagley optical. It may be hard for folks to get to them to order glasses or pick up glasses. On the other hand, I am guessing many out of towners may not realize that snow can have a LOT of glare and if I were them I would be prepared to mark up a bunch of sunglasses if there is a good snow.

It's not a lack of sympathy, it is being able to discern what TYPES of business would be adversely impacted and what kinds will benefit from the increased foot traffic. I have to believe that the owners of Bleu and Lavdas stand to make out like bandits as they are in the type of business that will traditionally do well with pedestrian traffic and don't rely on a small and select clientele.

Gogo
Username: Gogo

Post Number: 1163
Posted From: 198.208.251.24
Posted on Wednesday, January 18, 2006 - 4:06 pm:   Edit PostDelete Post   Move Post (Moderator/Admin Only)

The owners of Bleu are idiots. They operate in a vacuum completely unaware of the city that surrounds them. They expect the city and community to give and support them when they support neither.

Its interesting that he says he'll never do business in the city again. Its funny because he was singing the same tune when I spoke to him a while ago, yet here they still are. Doing business in the city must not be all that bad if you've been here for how many years now?

Its annoying when bad business owners place the blame for their failure on the city.

Add Your Message Here
Posting is currently disabled in this topic. Contact your discussion moderator for more information.